PDA

View Full Version : Best way to use Tidal service on Squeezebox



nicholasg
2018-05-16, 14:37
I apologize for posting this in 2 forums, but I have not had a reply in the "General Discussion" forum and thought this is probably a better home for my question.

I've very late to all this streaming stuff, but having seen someone demoing Genelec speakers with Tidal, I've become very interested.

From what I can see there are 2 ways of using Tidal with a Squeezebox: -

1) The Tidal app on my squeezebox.com

OR

2) Using ickStream (http://wiki.ickstream.com/index.php/...x_Installation)

Is that correct? Are there are many differences between the 2 methods?

Sorry if this is documented somewhere else, but I couldn't find a comparison.

Thanks,
Nicholas

schoeppi
2018-05-16, 17:00
On Wed, 16 May 2018 21:37:38 +0000, nicholasg wrote:
> From what I can see there are 2 ways of using Tidal with a Squeezebox: -
>
> 1) The Tidal app on my squeezebox.com
>
> OR
>
> 2) Using ickStream
> (http://wiki.ickstream.com/index.php/...x_Installation)
>
> Is that correct? Are there are many differences between the 2 methods?

Yes, AFAIK the music quality. With IckStream you can stream the music as flac, via mysb.com only in lower mp3 (or whatever) quality.

I don't know the Tidal plugin very much, but I think the mysb.com plugin has more features implemented (following artists, browsing genres, managing playlists, e.g.), but if you like to have the music in a higher quality I'd use Tidal via IckStream.

Cheers,

Schoepp

left channel
2018-05-16, 18:05
I use the standard Tidal plugin and get FLAC just fine:

25038

Looking forward to hearing any reasons why I should take the time to install the ickStream version.

Stig Nygaard
2018-05-17, 00:09
On Wed, 16 May 2018 21:37:38 +0000, nicholasg wrote:
I don't know the Tidal plugin very much, but I think the mysb.com plugin has more features implemented (following artists, browsing genres, managing playlists, e.g.), but if you like to have the music in a higher quality I'd use Tidal via IckStream.


I believe you are wrong here. I don't have Tidal myself, but I remember Michael Herger did some work on the official WiMP/Tidal plugin some time ago, to make it support lossless flac streaming.

mherger
2018-05-17, 00:27
> I believe you are wrong here. I don't have Tidal myself, but I remember
> Michael Herger did some work on the official WiMP/Tidal plugin some time
> ago, to make it support lossless flac streaming.

That's correct. The official TIDAL plugin does play FLAC, too.

--

Michael

schoeppi
2018-05-17, 05:17
On Thu, 17 May 2018 01:05:07 +0000, left channel wrote:
>
> I use the standard Tidal plugin and get FLAC just fine:
> Looking forward to hearing reasons why I should take the time to install
> ickStream.

Then there are IMHO no reasons to use Tidal via IckStream...

I was not aware of that the official Tidal plugin is able to stream music in flac quality. Very cool!

Would it be possible to have this for the official Deezer plugin too?

Cheers,

Schoepp

mherger
2018-05-17, 06:01
> Would it be possible to have this for the official Deezer plugin too?

They never provided us with the necessary API documentation.

--

Michael

atrocity
2018-05-19, 09:30
On Thu, 17 May 2018 01:05:07 +0000, left channel wrote:[color=blue]
Then there are IMHO no reasons to use Tidal via IckStream...


I personally find the IckStream option much, much less reliable. It always seems to need me to log off and back on, re-register players, etc. This may have gotten better in recent months but had been such an issue for me that I pretty much stopped using it. I love the idea and I appreciate the attempt to have a backup in place for the day when the official plugin may no longer work, but at least for me it's been trouble more often than not.

25052

HoJ76
2018-10-22, 23:34
Suddenly Tidal disappeared from my squeezebox, now I just get up a completely empty menu. I know that username and password are right on Tidal - and that I have paid, etc.
What can be wrong?

callesoroe
2018-10-23, 00:21
I apologize for posting this in 2 forums, but I have not had a reply in the "General Discussion" forum and thought this is probably a better home for my question.

I've very late to all this streaming stuff, but having seen someone demoing Genelec speakers with Tidal, I've become very interested.

From what I can see there are 2 ways of using Tidal with a Squeezebox: -

1) The Tidal app on my squeezebox.com

OR

2) Using ickStream (http://wiki.ickstream.com/index.php/...x_Installation)

Is that correct? Are there are many differences between the 2 methods?

Sorry if this is documented somewhere else, but I couldn't find a comparison.

Thanks,
Nicholas

The official Tidal App works fine. Also with FLAC.

labeelen
2018-12-17, 12:19
Same here,

Tidal does not work anymore


Suddenly Tidal disappeared from my squeezebox, now I just get up a completely empty menu. I know that username and password are right on Tidal - and that I have paid, etc.
What can be wrong?

mherger
2018-12-17, 14:13
> Tidal does not work anymore
>
>> Suddenly Tidal disappeared from my squeezebox, now I just get up a
>> completely empty menu. I know that username and password are right on
>> Tidal - and that I have paid, etc.

Wouldn't you even get an error message? Which continent/country are you
living in? What LMS version (if any)?

--

Michael

pippin
2018-12-17, 15:12
If the whole MyApps min is empty thatís typically an issue with the connection between LMS and MySquerzebox.com

dmcdayton
2019-02-07, 16:57
What's the best format/bitrate you can get out of Tidal just using mysqueezebox.com to control your player?

Do you have to install LMS to get lossless FLAC?

DanSmedra
2019-02-07, 18:36
After years of paying the TIDAL premium subscription and having no problems with other music sources, the chronic streaming interruptions have beat me down. I canceled my subscription. :(

mherger
2019-02-07, 22:22
> What's the best format/bitrate you can get out of Tidal just using
> mysqueezebox.com to control your player?

FLAC should be possible, though using LMS' proxied streaming could help
with network reliability.

> Do you have to install LMS to get lossless FLAC?

AFAIK not yet. Once they switch to using https instead of http you'll
need LMS.

--

Michael

losinj
2019-03-23, 16:16
In post#3, the web UI shows "... FLAC". I have a TIDAL HIFI subscription (and am using the official app), but I only ever see "... MP3". Setting the Streaming Quality to "FLAC or MP3" seems to make no difference.

27027

(I presume this is only a display matter, since my DAC shows LPCM 2.0 44.1K for the above track.)

My mysqueezebox.com and TIDAL logins (email addresses) are different. Does this matter?