PDA

View Full Version : A user's perspective



Bart Maguire
2005-01-05, 14:45
<?xml version="1.0" ?><html>
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<div align="left"><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt">I wish I could run Musicmagic under linux.&#160; Every time I try to load a
6.0 build I get errors related to DBI, but I don't know how to install this
modules.&#160; </span></font></div>
<div align="left"><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt">linux:/usr/local/slimserver # Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC </span></font></div>
<div align="left"><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt">contains: /usr/local/slimserver /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN </span></font></div>
<div align="left"><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt">/usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8.3/i586-linux-thread-multi ...etc</span></font></div>
<div align="left"><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt">After Googling for help I tried perl -MCPAN -e 'install DBI' but it failed
and will now not even run.&#160; So, I put Slimserver 6.0 on a Windows XP
machine.&#160; That installed OK but will not run.&#160; When I run it it begins
scanning the music folder, scans a few albums, then the service stops.
Even if I set the service to automatically restart it never gets any further
than beginning the scan before it crashes out.</span></font></div>
<div align="left"><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt">My Musicmagic evaluation key has nearly run out and I have never
seen it work with Slimserver.</span></font></div>
<div align="left"><br/>
</div>
<div align="left"></div>
</body>
</html>

kdf
2005-01-05, 14:55
Quoting Bart Maguire <bartmaguire (AT) yahoo (DOT) co.uk>:

> scanning the music folder, scans a few albums, then the service stops.
> Even if I set the service to automatically restart it never gets any further
> than beginning the scan before it crashes out.</span></font></div>
> <div align="left"><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt">My
> Musicmagic evaluation key has nearly run out and I have never
> seen it work with Slimserver.</span></font></div>

There is a version you can run that is 5.4.1 stream. Erk, at least there was.
It seems the nightly builds prior to Dec 27 are gone. That's when the streams
split and 5.4.1 branch was not going to included musicmagic integration, which
was still somewhat experimental.

I think the problem with E-Smith is related to the perl version included on that
system. i think I recall one user mention ESmith as using 5.6 of Perl, which
is no longer supported for 6.0 builds, due to the UTF-8 Support. One possible
source of the scan crash under windows could be shortcuts. There is a known
issue with the 6.0 builds right now that causes the system to crash if it finds
a windows shortcut during the scan.

-kdf

mherger
2005-01-05, 15:07
[..]
> I think the problem with E-Smith is related to the perl version included
> on that
> system. i think I recall one user mention ESmith as using 5.6 of Perl,

Yep. Might have been me :-/. As all the administration tools for e-smith
are written in Perl it's not easily upgreadable. A thread over at
contribs.org discussing this topic died with no result.

I compiled 5.8 manually and have it installed alongside 5.6. I therefore
have to manually change the first line in slimserver.pl...

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Jack Coates
2005-01-07, 13:54
Bart Maguire wrote:
> <?xml version="1.0" ?><html>
> <head>
> <title></title>
> </head>
> <body>
> <div align="left"><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt">I wish I could run Musicmagic under linux.&#160; Every time I try to load a
> 6.0 build I get errors related to DBI, but I don't know how to install this
> modules.&#160; </span></font></div>

Does everyone else see this sort of stuff from Bart? He's using Pegasus
Mail for Windows (4.21c), I'm using Thunderbird 0.9 on Windows and
Squirrelmail 1.4.3a in lots of browsers. If no one else sees it it might
be a procmail thing, or it could just be that his stuff is wack :)

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

kdf
2005-01-07, 14:04
Quoting Jack Coates <jack (AT) monkeynoodle (DOT) org>:

> Bart Maguire wrote:
> > <?xml version="1.0" ?><html>
> > <head>
> > <title></title>
> > </head>
> > <body>
> > <div align="left"><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt">I wish I
> could run Musicmagic under linux.&#160; Every time I try to load a
> > 6.0 build I get errors related to DBI, but I don't know how to install this
> > modules.&#160; </span></font></div>
>
> Does everyone else see this sort of stuff from Bart? He's using Pegasus
> Mail for Windows (4.21c), I'm using Thunderbird 0.9 on Windows and
> Squirrelmail 1.4.3a in lots of browsers. If no one else sees it it might
> be a procmail thing, or it could just be that his stuff is wack :)

it shows up in Horde like that. I just read around it.

Gregory Hamilton
2005-01-07, 14:20
Gmail shows it also


On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 13:04:38 -0800, kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com> wrote:
> Quoting Jack Coates <jack (AT) monkeynoodle (DOT) org>:
>
> > Bart Maguire wrote:
> > > <?xml version="1.0" ?><html>
> > > <head>
> > > <title></title>
> > > </head>
> > > <body>
> > > <div align="left"><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:10pt">I wish I
> > could run Musicmagic under linux.&#160; Every time I try to load a
> > > 6.0 build I get errors related to DBI, but I don't know how to install this
> > > modules.&#160; </span></font></div>
> >
> > Does everyone else see this sort of stuff from Bart? He's using Pegasus
> > Mail for Windows (4.21c), I'm using Thunderbird 0.9 on Windows and
> > Squirrelmail 1.4.3a in lots of browsers. If no one else sees it it might
> > be a procmail thing, or it could just be that his stuff is wack :)
>
> it shows up in Horde like that. I just read around it.
>

ron thigpen
2005-01-07, 14:24
Jack Coates wrote:
> Bart Maguire wrote:
>
>> <?xml version="1.0" ?><html>
>> <head>
>> <title></title>
>> </head>
>> <body>

> Does everyone else see this sort of stuff from Bart? He's using Pegasus
> Mail for Windows (4.21c), I'm using Thunderbird 0.9 on Windows and
> Squirrelmail 1.4.3a in lots of browsers. If no one else sees it it might
> be a procmail thing, or it could just be that his stuff is wack :)

His stuff is wack. Or, at least, I'm seeing it too. His mail client
seems to be sending HTML formatting in the body of messages of type
text/plain.

--rt