PDA

View Full Version : Lightning bolt on Jivelite with Original 7" touch screen and piCorePlayer, Pi3

toplard
2018-04-22, 04:15
I'm using piCorePlayer just for the Jivelite add-on.

And also I'm extending power from the screens USB power out to the Pi's power in.

When in this configuration I get the lightening bolt no matter how low I set brightness etc.

But when I use separate power for both screen and Pi, it goes away.

Also when I use a mains power tester the draw is the same for both configurations.

So it seems the Pi 3 is too power hungry. Not tried a Pi2 yet.

Is there anything I can do with the screens USB out to increase power to the Pi, or reduce demand of the Pi3?

Are my assumptions correct?

Cheers

paul-
2018-04-22, 06:32
Splitting the power is best......you can get a Y splitter and use one good power supply.

You can also use the gpio header and connect power via the pins....but the power supply needs to connect to the rpi.

toplard
2018-04-22, 11:39
Thats great thanks.

mherger
2018-04-22, 12:18
Just another note: I've seen the same with a Pi2. Tried different power
plugs. But eventually it was the cable I was using between charger and
device which made the difference. I'm now using the original Pi power
supply.
--

Michael

Grumpy Bob
2018-04-22, 21:51
supply.
--

Michael

I experienced this with a Pi2 plus screen and agree with Michael. Solved with a heavier duty cable plus a a beefy USB power supply (but it was the cable that had the bigger effect).

Robert

toplard
2018-04-24, 06:46
I tried using GPIO o'p and it works fine (bolt gone) thanks.

toplard
2018-04-24, 06:57
Thanks for the hint. Sounds like there's a drop due to cable quality then mostly.

BTW using GPIO + Rpi 2.1A adapter it works fine too
BUT using GPIO + 4A adapter + selection of different cables, all no good

I can't test the Pi adapter and cable separately which is a pity, so its not clear if its cable or adapter.

supply.
--

Michael

stereoptic
2018-04-24, 07:11
I've used both of these (individually) succesfully:

CanaKit 5V 2.5A Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Power Supply / Adapter (UL Listed) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MARDJZ4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
NorthPada Raspberry Pi 3 Model B B+ Plus Power Supply Charger AC Adapter 5V 3A PSU Micro USB 5 Feet with Power On / Off Switch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N336XEU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

toplard
2018-04-26, 12:10
I've used both of these (individually) succesfully:

CanaKit 5V 2.5A Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Power Supply / Adapter (UL Listed) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MARDJZ4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
NorthPada Raspberry Pi 3 Model B B+ Plus Power Supply Charger AC Adapter 5V 3A PSU Micro USB 5 Feet with Power On / Off Switch (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N336XEU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Thank you. I went for the latter (UK plug). Cheers.

Just love the Jivelite. And Hifiberry DAC.

toplard
2018-04-28, 03:47
Thank you. I went for the latter (UK plug). Cheers.

Just love the Jivelite. And Hifiberry DAC.I just tried the Northpada at UKú7. Its excellent. Thanks for the hint.

Converting off the Rpi GPIO feed, back onto the display feed via USB with this adapter only briefly shows lightning bolt at bootup (hi demand). Using white RPI adapter in this config is no good forever.

Will stick with this config as aesthetically fewer cables if using RPI short USB cable.

So it looks like this is a better adapter in general for Pi? Still not sure if its due to better cable, PS specs or bit of both?

But happy. Upside is inline on/off switch which is fine on piCorePlayer.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk