PDA

View Full Version : HELP: PCP 3.5 AP Mode

Hammerhead
2018-04-13, 07:07
Howdy, folks.

Is there a way to configure a few Pi/DAC combinations via AP mode without knowing in advance what the network settings are at an installation point?

I'd like to gift a few units to a friend as a house-warming present, but since I won't be there to create a 'newconfig.cfg' file for his network and he doesn't have a technical skill set, I'm wondering if there was a way for him to use his smart phone and set up with a bit of guidance from me over the phone.

Thanks in advance!

Hammerhead
2018-04-18, 13:30
Howdy, folks.

Is there a way to configure a few Pi/DAC combinations via AP mode without knowing in advance what the network settings are at an installation point?

I'd like to gift a few units to a friend as a house-warming present, but since I won't be there to create a 'newconfig.cfg' file for his network and he doesn't have a technical skill set, I'm wondering if there was a way for him to use his smart phone and set up with a bit of guidance from me over the phone.

Thanks in advance!Wow. Nobody?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

paul-
2018-04-18, 17:04
We don't monitor every thread.....too many to catch.

There is really no way to do what you want. We have AP mode, but it doesn't start that way out of the box.

Hammerhead
2018-04-19, 09:38
No worries, I just figured this one would be a no-brainer.

Is there no sort of plugin that would function in the manner that Volumio does to seek and connect to a wireless LAN via a Hotspot? Of all the distributions I've used, I far prefer PCP because of it's "bulletproof" nature by running in memory.

Could such a thing (a GUI configuration screen) possibly be incorporated, and if so, what would be involved and who would one go to for such a thing?

paul-
2018-04-19, 10:37
We've talked about enabling AP mode "automatically" if no network is detected, we just have not done it yet. AP mode is still very much a beta feature.

Here is an option for you.....it requires a little editing. But you could modify the cards before you sent them to your friend.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107995-picoreplayer-without-network&p=896285&viewfull=1#post896285

Hammerhead
2018-04-22, 05:00
Ah! So, theoretically I could do this, and then my friend could use his smart phone or tablet to access PCP and continue to configure the Pi to his network via the web server, yes?