PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Touch upgrade

toolapcblack
2018-04-09, 03:35
Hi all,
so i am a long time user of the SBT (must be over 6 years currently with EDO) i have used it with lots of the tweaks back in the day then i just factory reset it and found it didn't really make much difference to my ears! i have also used it with a few cheaper DACs(leema, MF & a few other sthat slip the memory).
So i would just like to upgrade my system and i am at a bit of a loss where to start options are high end DAC a Streamer(and move my trusty SBT to a different room).

Current system is Sbt>Vincent SV-129 integrated>Usher 520s (& X-718s when i fancy a change)

I don't really want to change the amp as it was the last major upgrade was when i went from a bi amped roksan amplification and although much cheaper the Vincent kicks the roksan caspian a$$(i have also used T+A, Linn 140s, Leema with Dac, Peachtree with Dac, & nuforce amps in the past 6-7 years).

so its the source i am looking at

any suggestions welcome

edwin2006
2018-04-09, 04:05
Did you try a pi3 with hifiberry? Simpel and pretty good sound quality. You could use the touch than as controller.

d6jg
2018-04-09, 04:10
If you don't want to build it yourself then you can buy a pre-built Pi3 with DAC from here

https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/boss-player.html

You would need the Max2Play option (or swap the SD card out for piCorePlayer) which then gives you a fully functional Squeeze device which can either be controlled from the browser, your existing SBT or a phone/tablet with control software. My preference being Apple devices and iPeng but Android alternatives are available.

Or version with SPDIF
https://www.allo.com/sparky-eu/digione-player.html

alfista
2018-04-09, 04:49
What are the purpose of the change? To have a more expensive system or some added functionality?

toolapcblack
2018-04-09, 05:41
What are the purpose of the change? To have a more expensive system or some added functionality?

Neither i always try and improve the sound quality(the detail +dynamics), if it costs more so be it but sometimes i have found out that cheaper is indeed an improvement for example i hear more details through the lesser expensive Usher speakers so they stay out more often, i also went from a pre amp + two Roksan caspian M1 power amps to an integrated for a sound improvement.

what has prompted me looking at the source is that i have a Questyle QP1R Dap that i use for headphones it can also be used as a line out which i have connected into the Vincent Integrated which does considerably improve the system sound especially the detail! But as this is a bit of a faff i would rather has something permanently placed on my rack that i can stream from

Cheers

toolapcblack
2018-04-09, 05:44
Did you try a pi3 with hifiberry? Simpel and pretty good sound quality. You could use the touch than as controller.

thanks for the reply
does this improve the sound quality from what i have though or is just the same? I am looking for an improvement

drmatt
2018-04-09, 06:05
As a long time devotee of LMS I say stick with the SBT there's nothing wrong with it, particularly as a digital source. Modify the sound to your taste with an offboard DAC. The Chord FPGA-based DACs make a noticeable difference, but I've gone with a Mytek myself.

Also note the measurements show the SBT analogue output is accurate down to about 17 bits, so you won't "improve" anything other than your perception of the sound by changing it.

toolapcblack
2018-04-09, 10:14
As a long time devotee of LMS I say stick with the SBT there's nothing wrong with it, particularly as a digital source. Modify the sound to your taste with an offboard DAC. The Chord FPGA-based DACs make a noticeable difference, but I've gone with a Mytek myself.

Also note the measurements show the SBT analogue output is accurate down to about 17 bits, so you won't "improve" anything other than your perception of the sound by changing it.

better to stick than twist then!

yeah i get all the tech i am an electronics engineer and have contracted for some high end manufacturers in my past(worked for ATC for a while & spent a considerable amount of time in their listening room, dont think they liked it when i passed comment about my Ushers 718s being better than some of their high end kit lol).

I used to save up and upgrade one piece of hi fi per year, these days i'm not sure if there are any advances. I purchased a music hall turntable a few years back and that sounds better than any Digital format i have ever heard it's just a bit of hassle changing sides cleaning the cart and winding down the clamp every 20mins when we have been used to over 75mins albums on the digital formatt

Apesbrain
2018-04-09, 11:38
I purchased a music hall turntable a few years back and that sounds better than any Digital format i have ever heard it's just a bit of hassle changing sides cleaning the cart and winding down the clamp every 20mins when we have been used to over 75mins albums on the digital formatt
Why not stick with vinyl then? If it indeed "sounds better than any Digital format i have ever heard", seems a small sacrifice to have to get out of your chair every 20 minutes.

drmatt
2018-04-09, 11:50
All it really requires is a fairly skilled DSP programmer to come up with a vinyl simulator and we're done. Probably just needs a random low frequency rumble adding, boost and blur the bass temporally, roll off the treble and compress the dynamics to about 60db dynamic range and you are *sorted*. Everyone will like it, but hifi it will never be... :)

The alternative is much harder - get all mastering engineers to master to -14 dB peak to retain headroom and dynamics (-20db for high dynamic range material), use a standard 80db listening level in the mastering suite to avoid fatigue, and encode right there in the delivered media what correction curves need applying to listen at higher or lower levels.

drmatt
2018-04-09, 12:07
better to stick than twist then!

yeah i get all the tech i am an electronics engineer and have contracted for some high end manufacturers in my past(worked for ATC for a while & spent a considerable amount of time in their listening room, dont think they liked it when i passed comment about my Ushers 718s being better than some of their high end kit lol).

I used to save up and upgrade one piece of hi fi per year, these days i'm not sure if there are any advances.

Believe it or not you will find it hard to match the flexibility of the SBT in terms of supported formats and bitrates even now, ten years or so after the end of production.

The only significant advances in the last few years (because anything digital is more or less essentially perfect already, and so much better than vinyl or tape it's not even amusing) is class D amplification (which will mainly improve efficiency rather than performance), and room/response correction. Sadly the latter is still a hobbyist thing outside of home cinema systems.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk

edwin2006
2018-04-09, 13:10
thanks for the reply
does this improve the sound quality from what i have though or is just the same? I am looking for an improvement
Well, sound is a personal thing. My observation was that I liked the pi/hifiberry more than the touch

Apesbrain
2018-04-09, 13:12
The only significant advances in the last few years (because anything digital is more or less essentially perfect already, and so much better than vinyl or tape it's not even amusing) is class D amplification (which will mainly improve efficiency rather than performance), and room/response correction.
My little NAD D 3020 is class D and sounds fine. Not ready to say better than my 65 lb. Threshold class A amp, but good enough. And it automatically turns on and off!