PDA

View Full Version : Need help - First boot shows 'LMS is not running'

1uke_
2018-04-05, 02:26
Hello - I am looking for some help.

I have just burnt PiCorePlayer to SD card and booted it up on my Raspberry Pi 2B+ for the first time - This is all very new to me.

I'd like the Pi 2b+ to be both the server and the client. Is that possible?

I'd like my music to be stored and streamed from a usb stick. Is that possible?

The problem when I enter the PiCorePlayer IP and access the settings LMS shows 'LMS is not running'

How do I turn the LMS on?

kidstypike
2018-04-05, 02:46
Hello - I am looking for some help.

I have just burnt PiCorePlayer to SD card and booted it up on my Raspberry Pi 2B+ for the first time - This is all very new to me.

I'd like the Pi 2b+ to be both the server and the client. Is that possible?
I'd like my music to be stored and streamed from a usb stick. Is that possible?

The problem when I enter the PiCorePlayer IP and access the settings LMS shows 'LMS is not running'

How do I turn the LMS on?

LMS needs to be installed.

At the bottom of the main page, select the "Beta" tab, acknowledge the warning. You'll see more options for LMS.

You need to resize the file system on the main page first.

All you ask is possible.

1uke_
2018-04-05, 04:04
LMS needs to be installed.

At the bottom of the main page, select the "Beta" tab, acknowledge the warning. You'll see more options for LMS.

You need to resize the file system on the main page first.

All you ask is possible.

Thank you for your help @kidstypike, I now have LMS running.

Please could you provide me with instructions on how to get PiCorePlayer to find and use the USB stick.

Thanks in advance :o

kidstypike
2018-04-05, 08:21
Thank you for your help @kidstypike, I now have LMS running.

Please could you provide me with instructions on how to get PiCorePlayer to find and use the USB stick.

Thanks in advance :o

Shut down your Pi and attach your USB stick. If it's already attached just reboot the Pi.

On the LMS page you should see your USB stick listed, fill in the box it doesn't matter what you put in there, I've named mine musicserver, tick the box and click "Set USB Mount". Reboot if asked.

On the LMS page click the button "Configure LMS", when LMS opens you may get a wizard that asks you to enter your mySqueezebox.com credentials, you can skip this, you don't need a mySqueezebox.com account at this stage (if at all). You can also skip the next two steps, as I don't have the wizard in front of me, but we can do this another way.

On the LMS webgui, click "Settings" bottom right, on the "Basic Settings" page you need to enter the path to your music folder on the USB stick, click the "browse" button and select your music folder, it should be listed under "mnt". Do the same for your Playlist folder if you have any, or just leave this box blank.

Click "Apply" bottom right, this should kick off a scan of your music folder, let us know if you get this far :)

1uke_
2018-04-05, 10:41
Shut down your Pi and attach your USB stick. If it's already attached just reboot the Pi.

On the LMS page you should see your USB stick listed, fill in the box it doesn't matter what you put in there, I've named mine musicserver, tick the box and click "Set USB Mount". Reboot if asked.

On the LMS page click the button "Configure LMS", when LMS opens you may get a wizard that asks you to enter your mySqueezebox.com credentials, you can skip this, you don't need a mySqueezebox.com account at this stage (if at all). You can also skip the next two steps, as I don't have the wizard in front of me, but we can do this another way.

On the LMS webgui, click "Settings" bottom right, on the "Basic Settings" page you need to enter the path to your music folder on the USB stick, click the "browse" button and select your music folder, it should be listed under "mnt". Do the same for your Playlist folder if you have any, or just leave this box blank.

Click "Apply" bottom right, this should kick off a scan of your music folder, let us know if you get this far :)

Thanks for your reply @kidstypike, I now have beautiful audio streaming out of my Pi and it feels quite simply amazing!

I have a few follow up questions and hope you might be able to help me further please?

1) I notice that there is a setting page (http://my-ip/settings/index.html) it looks very extensive. Is there anything I should know about in here? Any settings that are common for people to change or tweak to get a better experience?

2) In the future I will change the USB stick for a larger capacity stick. Will I need to update any setting settings in the back end to get the new usb to be recognised? If the worst comes to the worst I can always format the SD and start from scratch now I know how to set up.

3) I plan on placing some Raspberry Pi zeros around my house as receivers/clients so that I can stream music to other rooms. What do I need to do to get the client devices registered and working?

4) Can recommend a free app for iOS so that I can use my phone as a remote control? I had a look on the app store but didn't find anything useable.

5) Let's talk about apps! I see there is an 'app store' of sorts (http://www.mysqueezebox.com/appgallery) Any thing from here you would recommend installing and setting up? I would love to extend the functionality of my player and would love to get some recommendations on apps.

6). Let's talk about plugins!!! I also noticed there is a plugins tab in the settings. How are plugins different to apps? Are there any plugins you would recommend installing and setting up?

Thank you in advance for your time and help, I am very grateful for all your help, advice and guidance :)

sbp
2018-04-05, 11:25
Thanks for your reply @kidstypike, I now have beautiful audio streaming out of my Pi and it feels quite simply amazing!

I have a few follow up questions and hope you might be able to help me further please?

1) I notice that there is a setting page (http://my-ip/settings/index.html) it looks very extensive. Is there anything I should know about in here? Any settings that are common for people to change or tweak to get a better experience?

I suggest that you take a look here at the different settings. Personally, I don't think I have changed anything here.

2) In the future I will change the USB stick for a larger capacity stick. Will I need to update any setting settings in the back end to get the new usb to be recognised? If the worst comes to the worst I can always format the SD and start from scratch now I know how to set up.

You don't need to start from scratch. You simply change the USB stick. Then you will need to mount the new stick on the pCP web-page as you did before. And then on the LMS web-page select where your music files are located.

3) I plan on placing some Raspberry Pi zeros around my house as receivers/clients so that I can stream music to other rooms. What do I need to do to get the client devices registered and working?

If you burn pCP to a SD-card and then boot them, they will be automatically be recognized by the LMS-server running on your first RPi and they can be used for playing music.

I will recommend that you give them different names on the "Squeezelite web-page" within pCP.
You will need to configure the on-board wifi as it will not have ethernet access: http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/how_to_setup_wifi_on_pcp_without_ethernet.shtml
Finally, I will recommend that you invest in a audio DAC for the zero like this one: https://www.justboom.co/product/justboom-dac-zero-phat/ there are others from other companies as well and some even include an amplifier.

4) Can recommend a free app for iOS so that I can use my phone as a remote control? I had a look on the app store but didn't find anything useable.

I don't know of any free app for iOS - personally I use iPeng: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?51929-iPeng-support-thread

5) Let's talk about apps! I see there is an 'app store' of sorts (http://www.mysqueezebox.com/appgallery) Any thing from here you would recommend installing and setting up? I would love to extend the functionality of my player and would love to get some recommendations on apps.

I think that most of the apps available on the mysqueezebox web-page also can be found at the plugin tab (Take a look at plugins tab in your LMS - see next section.). I'm not completely sure about this.
Personally, I use the TIDAL app as I get streaming music via TIDAL and as far as I know this is not possible without using mysqueezebox.com.
Michael has been working hard on moving Spotify streaming from mysqueezeInstall FFMpeg libraries for Squeezelitebox to LMS.

6). Let's talk about plugins!!! I also noticed there is a plugins tab in the settings. How are plugins different to apps? Are there any plugins you would recommend installing and setting up?

Please take a look and decide what you would like to test. You can easily remove any plugin again.

kidstypike
2018-04-05, 11:28

Thank you in advance for your time and help, I am very grateful for all your help, advice and guidance :)

1) I'd just have a look through the settings to familiarise yourself for now, if you make any changes you need to click the "Apply" button.

2) Just attach another USB stick, I think you can mount more than one, give it a different mount name, you can then add it as another folder for LMS to scan on the LMS "Basic Settings" page. Or you can attach a portable USB drive, I have a 2TB drive attached to the Pi in my car. You can also point your Pi at music files on a NAS.

3) You don't need to do anything other than install pCP and a bit of tweaking, remember you only need LMS to be installed and running on one Pi, all other players connected to your network will automatically show up in the dropdown on the main LMS page right-hand side.

4) I don't do iOS, but the guys on here who do, swear by iPeng, just shell out and buy it!

5) I also don't do any music services, and I run LMS without mysqueezebox.com integration.

6) Plugins, I couldn't do without BBC iPlayer, YMMV, get to know LMS first.

7) Make a donation to the pCP guys :):cool:

1uke_
2018-04-05, 11:56
1) I'd just have a look through the settings to familiarise yourself for now, if you make any changes you need to click the "Apply" button.

2) Just attach another USB stick, I think you can mount more than one, give it a different mount name, you can then add it as another folder for LMS to scan on the LMS "Basic Settings" page. Or you can attach a portable USB drive, I have a 2TB drive attached to the Pi in my car. You can also point your Pi at music files on a NAS.

3) You don't need to do anything other than install pCP and a bit of tweaking, remember you only need LMS to be installed and running on one Pi, all other players connected to your network will automatically show up in the dropdown on the main LMS page right-hand side.

4) I don't do iOS, but the guys on here who do, swear by iPeng, just shell out and buy it!

5) I also don't do any music services, and I run LMS without mysqueezebox.com integration.

6) Plugins, I couldn't do without BBC iPlayer, YMMV, get to know LMS first.

7) Make a donation to the pCP guys :):cool:

Thank you for replying to all my questions.

I'm really looking forward to getting my first client device set up :)

It does seem the iPeng is the way to go, thanks for confirming that.

I will try the BBC iPlayer plug in, I'm sure it will be useful.

I couldn't see the YMMV. What was it / is it?

I will make sure to donate to the pCP guys! I normally do donate to anything that I use that is free but provides me with great value. I always donate to the Wikipedia appeal. More recently I have been making the move to using open source free software. It makes sense that I make a donation to the pCP people, it's a fantastic product.

One last thing ...... I notice you have an RPi3B/pCP in AP mode in your car. Please could you tell me more about this? I am tempted to set up something similar. How do you go about, powering, connecting and controlling the system? Does it provide any advantages say over connecting an personal MP3 player over aux?

Thank you for your help and for sharing your thoughts and advise with me :)

bpa
2018-04-05, 12:35
I will try the BBC iPlayer plug in, I'm sure it will be useful.

The BBCiPlayer plugin from the plugins page is out of date (reasons are complicated why it is still there). If you get around to want to try BBciplayer you'll need to add an URL for a 3rd party repo for the working version of BBCiPlayer.

kidstypike
2018-04-05, 12:37
YMMV = your mileage may vary.

In car gear is a Pi3B with a HifiBerry (HAT) DAC running pCP/LMS in AP mode.

Power is from a battery pack, I use this one, but there may be better one's on the market that can be charged as you use them - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0183K0GZC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB Drive is this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06W55K9N6/ref=twister_B01ET8N2PI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This all fits in the centre console between the seats where there's a aux in to my car's stereo.

AP mode sets up it's own wifi network, so you could connect your phone to this network and use iPeng to control LMS.

My phone is on a dash mount.

I only use it on long journey's and leave it powered up all day, as it's a bit of a faff waiting for it to boot up, connect phone, etc.. It's good to have all your music as FLAC's though. I can even add new music from the comfort of my study without having to disconnect the USB drive and bring it indoors.

Ideal for taking to our holiday cottage, here's a picture of the setup in the cottage with a Boom.

1uke_
2018-04-05, 14:13
The BBCiPlayer plugin from the plugins page is out of date (reasons are complicated why it is still there). If you get around to want to try BBciplayer you'll need to add an URL for a 3rd party repo for the working version of BBCiPlayer.

Thanks for the reply @bpa, I've already added the 'BBC iPlayer (v3.1 alpha3)' plug in and it seems to be working OK, but the only glitch is that the images of the stations are missing.

I noticed in the plug ins area there is also a listing for 'BBC iPlayer Extra'

Are these two plug ins different from each other? Do the offer different functionality? Or is it a case of different developers but the plug ins do the same thing?

Can you tell me how to get the correct most up to date plug in please?

1uke_
2018-04-05, 14:32
YMMV = your mileage may vary.

In car gear is a Pi3B with a HifiBerry (HAT) DAC running pCP/LMS in AP mode.

Power is from a battery pack, I use this one, but there may be better one's on the market that can be charged as you use them - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0183K0GZC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB Drive is this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06W55K9N6/ref=twister_B01ET8N2PI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This all fits in the centre console between the seats where there's a aux in to my car's stereo.

AP mode sets up it's own wifi network, so you could connect your phone to this network and use iPeng to control LMS.

My phone is on a dash mount.

I only use it on long journey's and leave it powered up all day, as it's a bit of a faff waiting for it to boot up, connect phone, etc.. It's good to have all your music as FLAC's though. I can even add new music from the comfort of my study without having to disconnect the USB drive and bring it indoors.

Ideal for taking to our holiday cottage, here's a picture of the setup in the cottage with a Boom.

Let me check if I understood you correctly, and let me know if this set-up would work

So for me I would use a Pi Zero W as the 'brain'. Perhaps the Pi Zero isn't powerfully enough to act as the server/brain through?

I would hook this up to this HAT DAC (https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/phat-dac).

To get power I would us a cigarette lighter to USB charger adapter (https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xaoAAOSwTuJYn0FL/s-l1600.jpg) and then connect this to a power bank/battery pack.

Can I ask .... what function does the power bank server? Is it do you don't lose power to the device as soon as you switch the car off, then you can take the time to shut the system down properly rather than it 'crashing' when the car powers off? Or is it acting as some kind of buffer because it's bad to connect directly in to the car's electrical USB socket?

Another question for you .... you mention you take this to your holiday cottage (great idea) I was planning on taking mine on holiday too, but I was just planning on unplugging the server part of my system. Does using your car pi for your holiday cottage serve any additional purpose? I can see how it might be useful in AP mode in case you get to a location and don't have access to a network or WiFi. But other than not needing a separate network / WiFi would there be any other benefits over taking your home server/client system with you? Hope that questions makes sense?

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thank you :)

bpa
2018-04-05, 15:09
Thanks for the reply @bpa, I've already added the 'BBC iPlayer (v3.1 alpha3)' plug in and it seems to be working OK, but the only glitch is that the images of the stations are missing.

I noticed in the plug ins area there is also a listing for 'BBC iPlayer Extra'

Are these two plug ins different from each other? Do the offer different functionality? Or is it a case of different developers but the plug ins do the same thing?

Can you tell me how to get the correct most up to date plug in please?

Uninstall V1.3alpha3 - it only play live stream and even then can have problems. The BBCiPlayerExtra is also out of date.

Add the following repo URL to the "additopnal rerspitories" at the bttom of the Settings/Plugins page and then click "Apply"

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/betarelease-repo.xml

Once added - you should get 2 entries at bottom of page for BBCiplayer 1.5.* and BBCiPlayerExtra in a repository with a name somehting like "bpa's BBCiPlayer ...."

1uke_
2018-04-06, 07:10
Uninstall V1.3alpha3 - it only play live stream and even then can have problems. The BBCiPlayerExtra is also out of date.

Add the following repo URL to the "additopnal rerspitories" at the bttom of the Settings/Plugins page and then click "Apply"

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/betarelease-repo.xml

Once added - you should get 2 entries at bottom of page for BBCiplayer 1.5.* and BBCiPlayerExtra in a repository with a name somehting like "bpa's BBCiPlayer ...."

Hello @bpa

Thanks for showing me how to install the additional repository, I have the plug ins you suggested installed and they have the logos showing up correctly.

I don't mean to be hostile, far from it, but I couldn't help noticing you are the developer for these plug ins? Are you sure you aren't just getting people to install your plug ins so they become more popular? Please excuse me for being sceptical .....

With that said you do seem to be like the person to talk to about plug ins, could you recommend to me some other plug ins that are good to install to extend the functionality of the Logitech Music Server.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

bpa
2018-04-06, 08:09
I don't mean to be hostile, far from it, but I couldn't help noticing you are the developer for these plug ins? Are you sure you aren't just getting people to install your plug ins so they become more popular? Please excuse me for being sceptical .....

I haven't heard that idea before - "to be more popular make it hard for users to load the plugin" a bit perverse. I gain nothing by having more users. Writing a plugin take time - supporting users takes way way more time and the more users the more time it takes. My free time is finite so it would be much easier for me just to keep a plugin to myself.

The BBCiPlayer plugin was developed by Triode who suddenly dropped off the forum. He was a very significant contirbutor to LMS, Squeezeplay and plugin codebases. All I can assume there was a life changing event. The 1.3alpha3 was his last release from his repository and it only support HLS.. Since it was release, some users offered patches and then patches to the patches to keep it working. There is still an installed base of users with 1.3 . If I were to ask mherger to drop the 1.3 repo and put up my 1.5 as an upgrade - this would break many of the existing user of 1.3. (possibly none, possibly 1, possibly 100s) and I would have to support these users - who no doubt would be unhappy that their working system has suddenly been broken by me. So I would prefer a quiet life and let the 1.3 users migrate when they want to.

The rationale for continued support for BBCiPlayer was that I daily use BBCiPlayer (and I worked with Triode on previous AlienBBC plugin) but the plugin only supports HLS and I had no reference HLS player. BBC then announced that DASH would be their preferred format in the future. So I incorporated patches, and wrote DASH support and released 1.4 and then 1.5 as beta plugin as BBC still say DASH support is beta. I do not support HLS format. DASH implementation had bugs and also BBC makes changes which means quick turnaround is needed - I can do this by making sure users go direct to my repository rather than having to wait for LMS main repository to be updated which can take a significant delay. Controlling my repository also allowed me to do special version such as Flac and spatial stereo support for last year Proms.

With that said you do seem to be like the person to talk to about plug ins, could you recommend to me some other plug ins that are good to install to extend the functionality of the Logitech Music Server.
Sorry, I only use a very small number of plugins - mainly mine.

Rather than ask for recommendation or install lots of plugins which rarely get used, wait until you have a need than ask on the forum in a new topic to see if that need can be me. You could search the 3rd party forum for topics beginning "Announce" to see what plugin have been written but no guarantee they are still supported.

majones
2018-04-06, 09:19
Hi. I don't develop plugins but have been using them on my squeezeboxes for a long time, and I assure you that the 3rd-party developers here are doing it neither for money (there isn't any) or ratings (there aren't any). I appreciate this might not be obvious if you've just come in from the world of apps, but it is the reality in this community. bpa in particular is a star for what he does.