PDA

View Full Version : How to connect player to LMS from outside of my network?

tutejszy
2018-03-25, 07:11
Hi all,

So there's a problem. I have second place to live and I lately took one of my Booms there. I tried to configure it and.. bummer. "Enter IP address of the server" :( I have dynamic IP and only dyndns service where my logitech media server is installed!
Do you know solutions for this? Maybe a hack to forward mysqueezebox.com to myhome.dyndns.org?

Jeff07971
2018-03-25, 09:29
Hi all,

So there's a problem. I have second place to live and I lately took one of my Booms there. I tried to configure it and.. bummer. "Enter IP address of the server" :( I have dynamic IP and only dyndns service where my logitech media server is installed!
Do you know solutions for this? Maybe a hack to forward mysqueezebox.com to myhome.dyndns.org?

A VPN is the only safe way, it has been discussed many times on this forum.

Jeff

yeomanspc
2018-03-25, 16:05
Been in the same situation. In all honesty, you are better getting a Rpi with a USB drive for your music - and plug that into the network at the 2nd place. Better performance, more reliable, and secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumpy Bob
2018-03-25, 22:05
Been in the same situation. In all honesty, you are better getting a Rpi with a USB drive for your music - and plug that into the network at the 2nd place. Better performance, more reliable, and secure.

I have a 2Tb WiFi enabled WD Passport Drive that I use to hold a copy of my music collection, and which has LMS installed - this is my portable LMS when I'm away from home, also used in my office at work. Installation of LMS in this post (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?105512-Portable-squeezebox-with-a-Western-Digital-quot-Passport-Wireless-quot), needs a little Linux experience, though!

Robert

tutejszy
2018-04-01, 07:31
a copy of my music collection

Robert

Nah, I would then have to sync the files..

tutejszy
2018-04-01, 07:34

But I just love the physical shape and functionality od Boom device. Itís all in one, really donít see any device that can equal these functions..

tutejszy
2018-04-01, 07:52

Jeff

Thanks for tip. Iím currently working on nslookup+nc/ssh using Python script solution. Will share when success.

Grumpy Bob
2018-04-01, 08:20
Nah, I would then have to sync the files..

I sync my WD passport each weekend. It is one of my backups, and the weekly sync only takes a few minutes. How do you make your backups? It's unlikely to be more hassle than that!

Robert

markm9999
2018-04-02, 00:44
I have a 2Tb WiFi enabled WD Passport Drive that I use to hold a copy of my music collection, and which has LMS installed - this is my portable LMS when I'm away from home, also used in my office at work. Installation of LMS in this post (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?105512-Portable-squeezebox-with-a-Western-Digital-quot-Passport-Wireless-quot), needs a little Linux experience, though!

Robert

That's AWESOME! Thanks for posting this!

I've seen those and said to myself 'that's an expensive and slow way to transfer files', but squeezing LMS onto it gives me a reason to buy one and play!

tutejszy
2018-04-16, 12:50
Finally, I think i found perfect solution. Socat utility is the answer! I am using two instances:
socat tcp-l:3483,fork,reuseaddr tcp:my-home-server.org:3483
socat tcp-l:9000,fork,reuseaddr tcp:my-home-server.org:9000

On the squeezebox device you enter the local address of the machine that is running above. And that's it! Every time socat establishes connection it apparently resolves host name (checked playing with hosts file), so it works smoothly! Hooray!
If your local machine works on windows you need this: https://github.com/StudioEtrange/socat-windows

mherger
2018-04-16, 13:08
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107165-IMPORTANT-Stop-forwarding-your-LMS-ports-to-the-internet!

--

Michael

yeomanspc
2018-04-16, 15:25
Finally, I think i found perfect solution. Socat utility is the answer! I am using two instances:
socat tcp-l:3483,fork,reuseaddr tcp:my-home-server.org:3483
socat tcp-l:9000,fork,reuseaddr tcp:my-home-server.org:9000

On the squeezebox device you enter the local address of the machine that is running above. And that's it! Every time socat establishes connection it apparently resolves host name (checked playing with hosts file), so it works smoothly! Hooray!
If your local machine works on windows you need this: https://github.com/StudioEtrange/socat-windows

This might get you round the dyndns issue, but you still have to have an open port to your squeezebox server, and there-in lies the problem, because you are open to all the script kiddies in Russia and Asia trying to find open ports to go probe /steal or mess with your music and anything else they can. Maybe you leave your front door open at night too, but I wouldnít. Private VPN or local server are the only solutions worth considering.

Jeff07971
2018-04-16, 15:29

Jeff

Just to repeat !

tutejszy
2018-04-17, 08:01
This might get you round the dyndns issue, but you still have to have an open port to your squeezebox server, and there-in lies the problem, because you are open to all the script kiddies in Russia and Asia trying to find open ports to go probe /steal or mess with your music and anything else they can. Maybe you leave your front door open at night too, but I wouldnít. Private VPN or local server are the only solutions worth considering.

Yeah you're right :( Thanks for heads up. Anyway, I'll take the risk. I have 9000 passworded. We'll se what will happen.

d6jg
2018-04-17, 08:29
Yeah you're right :( Thanks for heads up. Anyway, I'll take the risk. I have 9000 passworded. We'll se what will happen.

You really won't take anyones word for it will you? If you open the ports you will be port scanned and someone will hack in. It happens all the time.

DJanGo
2018-04-17, 10:57
Finally, I think i found perfect solution.

Hi,

get a raspberry pi 3 or 3+ (even an RPI2 should work)
install rasbian
go to pivpn (http://www.pivpn.io/)
install and run the pivpn setup from the howto (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUBMcsvJfe4)
open a single port on your Router eg 1194 and nat it to your rpi with pivpn
remove /close all the previous opened ports
transfer the vpn config to your devices that should connect to your lms
your done

That i simple safe and you can also run a squeezelite on that system - so not ending with a additional device that only can handle a single job.