PDA

View Full Version : How-To install LMS on Odroid C2

-ol-
2018-03-22, 00:59
Hello everybody,

sorry to ask a probably rather dumb question, but how do I manually install LMS on an Odroid C2 (OS: Dietpi)? Iīve searched these forums, github and slimdevices wiki but I still cannot figure out which detailed instructions to run to have LMS installed on the C2.

Dietpi has its own installtion routine for LMS but the used version is completely outdated, also none of the transcoding options are working.

Thatīs the reason why I would like to try the manual install of the latest nightly build but I just do not know the correct instruction set to be used. Also I do not have any programming skills, I am able to copy & paste command lines but thatīs basically it.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Oliver

florca
2018-03-22, 04:11
Hi - I have an up to date LMS running very happily on an Odroid HC1 (essentially the same as a headless XU4) under Armbian (Debian legacy kernel version). I know that this is quite a different configuration to yours, but if you're not fully wedded to DietPi then may be worth giving Armbian a look? They have an Odroid C2 build here:

https://www.armbian.com/odroid-c2/

LMS install was simply a matter of downloading (wget) the "Logitech Media Server: Debian Installer Package (ARM)" from: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/index.php?ver=7.9 and then installing the downloaded .deb file using "sudo dpkg -i <downloaded file>"

I run a few other services on the HC1 and have found Armbian to be well maintained and very stable - YMMV!

-ol-
2018-03-22, 04:36
Hey florca, thanks for your reply. I just downloaded the Armbian package and flashed it onto the eMMC but I cannot SSH into the Odroid C2 (even though I can see it in my router). After some google I discovered that during the installation thereīs some steps where you need keyboard and display attached to the Odroid... so that Distro is basically useless to me.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion,
Oliver

-ol-
2018-03-27, 04:29
I am going to sell the Odroid and switch to the Pi hardware with its much better maintained software basis - no doubt the C2īs hardware is clearly superior to the PI 3Bsī but what does that matter if a normal user canīt make use of that?

Thanks for looking anyways, from my side this thread could be closed.

Cheers,
Oliver

kbeast
2019-02-26, 13:43
I realize this is a bit old, but helped me get started using odroid xu4. I got a blue dotted emmc and basically ran updates, then installed the debian arm package mentioned above, works great so far. All through ssh.

Will have to see speedwise and ability to handle multiple clients but so far so good. For me, gigabit was a requirement.