PDA

View Full Version : iOS app for Squeezebox and UE

jelockwood
2018-01-28, 06:57
Both the Logitech SqueezeBox Controller and the Logitech UE Smart Radio Controller apps currently listed on the Apple App Store are not compatible with iOS 11, presumably they have not been updated to be 64-bit apps which is the requirement for iOS 11 compatibility.

I know these players i.e. the SqueezeBox Radio and UE Smart Radio are discontinued but many people will still have them. If the issue is 32-bit versus 64-bit then this would be a relatively simple matter to remedy by recompiling the code with the current Xcode and resubmitting it to the App Store.

Any chance of this being done?

​Alternatively are there recommendations for an alternative iOS app to control Squeezeboxes?

dolodobendan
2018-01-28, 08:57
​Alternatively are there recommendations for an alternative iOS app to control Squeezeboxes?

I'm very fond of iPeng. Great support, too.

There's also an UE app.

pippin
2018-01-28, 09:07
If the issue is 32-bit versus 64-bit then this would be a relatively simple matter to remedy by recompiling the code with the current Xcode and resubmitting it to the App Store.

This is a myth.
It was true if they were current apps just not compiled for 64 bit but there is no such thing, these apps havenít been maintained for years, they wonít work well with current UI APIs.

For example I had a similar issue with iPeng Party which was based on an old iPeng version.
Re-compiling created so many issues that Iím now re-implementing it from scratch based on a recent iPeng version instead.

Even going from iOS 10 to 11 has created a lot of work for me in iPeng, this ďitís just a recompilationĒ is a bogus argument.

pippin
2018-01-28, 09:08
Oh, and I would of course also recommend iPeng or iPeng UE but Iím obviously biased (Iím the author) so please listen to others instead

Man in a van
2018-01-28, 10:34
Well of course :)

I have both iPeng and Squeezepad, I prefer the latter :p:rolleyes::)

Ronnie

msdv
2018-01-28, 12:00

Ipeng... Definitely. Best app.

ftlight
2018-01-28, 16:03
Oh, and I would of course also recommend iPeng or iPeng UE but Iím obviously biased (Iím the author) so please listen to others instead
Pippin may be the author, but he's right! iPeng is the way to go.
He's always accessible via the forum for any questions or problems, and keeps the app current for any iOS changes.

roknrol
2018-03-12, 09:28
Just checking, but I'm still using the Logitech Controller App on iOS and it stopped working on all my iOS10 and iOS6 devices. Haven't tried using it in a few weeks, so not entirely sure when it stopped working. I dug out my old hardware Controller for my Duet and it started streaming internet radio right away -- so my system all appears fine. So has something changed recently for the old, original Logitech app? The app loads and detects my Duet, but clicking on the Duet image doesn't do anything. This is the same across all my iOS devices.

I know the better solution is to just move on to the iPeng app, but the Logitech app (was) working fine for my needs.

Anyone else experiencing issues using the old iOS app recently?

mherger
2018-03-12, 09:46
> Anyone else experiencing issues using the old iOS app recently?

AFAIK we've removed it from the store as it's not compatible with iOS
11+. Whether this means it stops working on older phones, I don't know, tbh.

--

Michael

roknrol
2018-03-12, 10:02
Thanks for the reply, Michael. I did notice the app is no longer in the store, however, I can still download it from the cloud in my Purchased list. Do you know if the app was removed from the App Store recently? I've heard of apps being removed (because of 32-bit compatibility) but still functioning for those who previously purchased them. But if this was the change that happened in the last few weeks, then maybe that's the correlation.

mherger
2018-03-12, 11:53
Yes, it did happen in the past few weeks.

--

Michael

pippin
2018-03-13, 09:26
There should be no reason an app that has been removed from the store to stop working if you still download it from iCloud or have it installed on old devices, i donít think this is related.

Maybe itís a certificate issue or something? The old web library might no longer be compatible or something?

I mean, this thing hasnít been maintained for more than five years now.

roknrol
2018-03-13, 11:06
Pippin, I agree. It's a weird coincidence. The behavior is the same across all my iOS devices: the app launches, "Free your music" appears, it scans for devices, and then shows my Squeezebox Duet in the selection list. However, clicking on the Duet does nothing. I've gone through the usual steps, rebooting, deleting and re-adding the app, re-signing into mysqueezebox.com, etc. The original hardware Controller works just fine. So it's just the app.

BTW, does iPeng work across iOS 6 devices? My old iPod4 (was) my main controller remote for my Duet. That's part of the reason I haven't engaged other options up to now.

drmatt
2018-03-13, 12:31
(fwiw the native android app stopped working ages ago...)

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk

pippin
2018-03-13, 14:07
Pippin, I agree. It's a weird coincidence. The behavior is the same across all my iOS devices: the app launches, "Free your music" appears, it scans for devices, and then shows my Squeezebox Duet in the selection list. However, clicking on the Duet does nothing. I've gone through the usual steps, rebooting, deleting and re-adding the app, re-signing into mysqueezebox.com, etc. The original hardware Controller works just fine. So it's just the app.

BTW, does iPeng work across iOS 6 devices? My old iPod4 (was) my main controller remote for my Duet. That's part of the reason I haven't engaged other options up to now.

No, unfortunately no longer.
Until last fall you could still buy iPeng Classic which works back to iOS 3 but Apple has since pulled this, too.
You can still download it if you purchased it in the past and it still works but you can no longer buy it.

The current iPeng 9 works with iOS 9 and newer and has backwards compatible old versions back to iOS 7 in the store but no earlier.

JimCo06
2018-03-13, 17:45
FWIW, and I'm sure this isn't helpful, but my remote app on my old iPhone 4 running iOS 7 is still working. It controls my Squeezelite player and SB radio just fine.

pippin
2018-03-14, 03:48
FWIW, and I'm sure this isn't helpful, but my remote app on my old iPhone 4 running iOS 7 is still working. It controls my Squeezelite player and SB radio just fine.

I just gave it a try and it still works on my old devices, too. At least with LMS.
It was causing a bit of a problem with MySqueezebox.com, though. I had to try like 10 times to switch to a player connected to MySqueezebox.com and then later lost the connection again.
Once I managed to select the player it worked with MySB, too (until the next start or switch to LMS which is when the problem returned).

mherger
2018-03-14, 04:12
> It was causing a bit of a problem with MySqueezebox.com, though. I had
> to try like 10 times to switch to a player connected to MySqueezebox.com
> and then later lost the connection again.

Hmm... I wonder whether it's failing due to our enforcing https on login
and other sensitive pages...

--

Michael

pippin
2018-03-14, 05:37
It's not the login I was having trouble with (didn't try, no idea whether that works).
It was simply selecting a player. You have to retry a lot until it gets selected.

That said: it does indeed look like a timeout it needs to run into before making the actual switch.

pippin
2018-03-14, 05:38
into. not is.

roknrol
2018-03-14, 07:10
Hey, thanks guys. I was able to get it to start working again on my iOS6 iPod and my iOS10 iPad by futzing around with the refresh button and then the back button several times until it pulled up the mysqueezebox menu options. Selecting the player just wasn't working no matter how many times I hit it. Weird. But at least it seems to be working now (for the time being??)

Thanks to everyone chiming in on this!

sordidman
2018-03-14, 15:33
Well of course :)

I have both iPeng and Squeezepad, I prefer the latter :p:rolleyes::)

Ronnie

Me twos

pippin
2018-03-14, 22:34
Me twos

Especially on iPhone and iPod ;)

sordidman
2018-03-20, 14:54
Especially on iPhone and iPod ;)

Hi,
The Squeeze App is a good reason to keep my old IPAD alive. I am likely not going to sell it, - just for this app. New iPADs are so expensive anyway, - I wouldn't get enough money for my old iPAD to put towards a new one. I really wish that someone could possibly update the app for iOS 11, - but since Logitech is so long gone, who would do it? And, how could/would the Apple Store certify it. Too bad....

pippin
2018-03-20, 16:44
Hi,
The Squeeze App is a good reason to keep my old IPAD alive. I am likely not going to sell it, - just for this app. New iPADs are so expensive anyway, - I wouldn't get enough money for my old iPAD to put towards a new one. I really wish that someone could possibly update the app for iOS 11, - but since Logitech is so long gone, who would do it? And, how could/would the Apple Store certify it. Too bad....

Yea, and you don't have to shell out an enormous 5-10$ for SqueezePad or iPeng!