PDA

View Full Version : Raspbian 9 (stretch) and LMS 7.9.1, works

dizzysnakepilot
2018-01-21, 09:35
Just set up LMS on a Raspberry Pi 3 in the Cana kit and just wanted to document what I did to get it working. It serves FLAC from an external USB drive to my Transporter over Wifi.

OS setup with NOOBS is very easy, especially the Wifi setup, painless.

I followed these directions:

https://variax.wordpress.com/2017/02/24/install-lms-on-raspberry-pi/

But my Raspbian version is newer:

$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

And just required the 7.9.1 LMS version to work. The 7.9.0 gave errors and did not work.

$ wget -O logitechmediaserver_all.deb $(wget -q -O - "http://www.mysqueezebox.com/update/?version=7.9.1&revision=1&geturl=1&os=deb")

I have yet to auto mount the usb, getting the fstab info wrong can (and did) hose a version of the OS.

With an external USB drive, be aware LMS runs as user 'squeezeboxserver', and so won't by default be able to see the USB drive files in the "select the folder with your music' setup step. I'm not sure the best way to fix this (I chown'd them for the LMS user just for now)

Hope this saves someone a few minutes.

shaunm
2018-02-10, 17:29
Thank you so much for this, I've been trying to install LMS on a Raspberry Pi Zero for the last 12 hours, trying several raspbian packages but all failed miserably UNTIL I saw your instructions.

Went like a breeze with Rasbian Stretch and LMS v7.9.1 !

My setup is:
Raspberry Pi Zero (not Zero W)
Using as LMS Server only (I have a Squeezebox Classic)
Pi Zero is connected to 2.5" HDD via a USB hub (not a powered hub)
Pi Zero connected via Ethernet to my router (tomorrow I will be unpluging it from the router and pluging it in directly to the Squeezebox so it won't have to go through my router at all - completely unattached to network, so unhackable)

With an external USB drive, be aware LMS runs as user 'squeezeboxserver', and so won't by default be able to see the USB drive files in the "select the folder with your music' setup step. I'm not sure the best way to fix this (I chown'd them for the LMS user just for now)

Instead of having a LMS user and using chown, I have permanently mounted a 2.5" HDD (yes, the Pi Zero has enough power from the USB port to run it!) using the instructions below...

USB stick or HDD mounting

1.First create a usb directory under /mnt:

cd /mnt
sudo mkdir usb

2. Put some MP3’s on a USB stick (my audio files are .wma) and plug it into the raspberry via the hub.

3. Now, find the uuid of the USB stick using the following command:

sudo blkid
This was my result:

/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="efa3f64e" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="boot" UUID="22E0-C711" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="efa3f64e-01"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: UUID="202638e1-4ce4-45df-9a00-ad725c2537bb" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="efa3f64e-02"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="Music" UUID="18C6F806C6F96502" TYPE="ntfs"
Search for the line that starts with “/dev/sda1“, that’s the USB stick. Now copy the hex number thats behind “UUID=“, and also note the value behind “TYPE=“.

4. Now edit this file:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

5. And add this line to the end of it:

UUID=copied_code /mnt/usb copied_type defaults,nofail,dmask=000,fmask=111 0 2
And change “copied_code” and “copied_type” to the values taken from the previous command. In my case it was: UUID=18C6F806C6F96502 /mnt/usb ntfs defaults 0 2

6. Save the file and do a reboot:

sudo reboot

All credit goes to Gerrelt for these instructions which were pasted from the excellent page at http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wordpress/tutorial-stand-alone-squeezebox-server-and-player-for-bbq/#Setup_the_LMS_server
(On this page, there are also instructions for installing a played on the Pi as well if you need that, and also a WiFi connection to control from a mobile phone)

Hope this helps someone.

amey01
2018-02-26, 05:29

Hope this saves someone a few minutes.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Music_on_Linux_USB_hard_drives