PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Classic failing

d6jg
2018-01-15, 06:46
Just looking for advice as to whether anyone else has seen the same symptoms.

My Living Room SB3/Classic has started to sporadically lose connection to the server whether on ethernet or wifi. Screen flashes briefly "Can't connect to server" and then generally immediately reconnects. It isn't network related as I hasve other kit in the same location connected via the same switch (when wired) and same wifi access point (when wireless) and they don't lose connection like this. I have replaced the power supply but symptoms still persist.

I have Pi based altenatives that I can install there but before I do just wondering has anyone else experienced this sort of issue? Is my trusty SB3 on its last legs?

SlimChances
2018-01-15, 07:25
wifi card needs to be reseated or removed/replaced?

d6jg
2018-01-15, 07:31
wifi card needs to be reseated or removed/replaced?

It displays the symptoms on either Ethernet or Wifi but are you saying the wifi card is interfering with the LAN. I may take it apart and have a look later.

SlimChances
2018-01-15, 07:38
Do a search on the forum there are many threads about reviving SB3s, Classics etc by replacing Wi Fi card. Eg http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98840-Possible-to-revive-bricked-Squeezebox-classic&highlight=wifi+card

Of course this may not be your problem

alfista
2018-01-15, 08:03
The two most common problems with SB3, by far, seems to be WiFi boards and power supplies losing steam.
You can find decent aftermarket PSUs with the right connector from China for "peanuts", and if you can run wired then you can just remove the WiFi board.
Either of those fixes seem to revive the majority of SB3s.
If you have a Touch you can try with that PSU, it should work, or maybe someone you know have a SB you can borrow a PSU from and see if it helps.

d6jg
2018-01-15, 08:21
Do a search on the forum there are many threads about reviving SB3s, Classics etc by replacing Wi Fi card. Eg http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98840-Possible-to-revive-bricked-Squeezebox-classic&highlight=wifi+card

Of course this may not be your problem

Thanks I will investigate

Mnyb
2018-01-15, 12:42
Yes the faulty wifi board can affect the whole player even if dont use it

sgmlaw
2018-01-18, 08:11
Agree with the others. Start with the PSU. Try a fresh one to be sure. They are cheap. The Classic only needs 1A at the output.

But the wi-fi card on these do fail, and they disrupt all networking when they malfunction. I'm reasonably sure you can run one of these without the card on ethernet only.

Other than that, the VFD tiring and the output caps are the main trouble spots on the Classic. Keep the display off or dimmed to preserve it, and have a couple of Silmics on hand for a fast re-cap.

Good luck.

d6jg
2018-01-18, 08:59
Not PSU. I replaced that straight away.

I am going to remove the wifi daughter board when I can lay my hands on the correct screwdriver bit!

d6jg
2018-01-18, 09:53
Prompted by something epoch1970 posted here -> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108538-picoreplayer-monetary-loss-of-connection-to-the-server&p=904464&viewfull=1#post904464 - I have just moved my failing SB3 to the same switch as my piCorePlayer LMS is on.

It works. No momentary loss of connection.

It didn't work yesterday when I had moved it from the Living Room to my office and it was connected via 2 switch hops.

Everything else in my network works including the replacement SB3 in my Living Room which is connected to the piLMS via a switch then a powerline connector then another switch which was how the failing SB3 had been connected.

Conclusion. My SB3 isn't failing but perhaps something weird is happening on the piLMS LAN port and/or my main switch (Rack mounted but dumb Netgear 24 port 10/100/1000 thing).

Mnyb
2018-01-18, 20:29
It can be as simple as faulty cable or port at the switch

chamonix
2018-01-21, 08:29
My Living Room SB3/Classic has started to sporadically lose connection to the server whether on ethernet or wifi. Screen flashes briefly "Can't connect to server" and then generally immediately reconnects.

I have the same thing happening with both my SB3s on my wifi network. Can't really connect them to router with Ethernet or I will have cables all over the house. Can you replace the wi-fi cards in the SB3? Why did this start happening with both SB3s at the same time?

By the way I have "extra" power supplies, and have swapped them around, but this doesn't fix the problem.

ps. I just ordered this replacement wi-fi daughter card from China, off E-Bay. Don't think it will help, as both SB3 s seem to reboot randomly, but I figured I will get one while I can

Atheros AR2413A AR5BMB5 Mini PCI-E

There is a link here on how to replace the daughter card,
http://lowtek.ca/roo/2011/squeezebox-classic-repair/

link here, for AR2413A daughter card I ordered; cost $4.80 US
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atheros-AR2413A-AR5005G-AR5BMB5-Mini-PCI-WLAN-Wifi-Wireless-Card-/263241140110

chamonix
2018-01-21, 09:02
sgmlaw wrote

But the wi-fi card on these do fail, and they disrupt all networking when they malfunction.

does this mean a bad wi-fi card in one of my SB3s could be disrupting the wifi netwok in the whole house? Could one SB3 acting up disrupt the other one on the second floor (bedroom) and cause it to also re-boot randomly?

bpa
2018-01-21, 11:46
sgmlaw wrote

does this mean a bad wi-fi card in one of my SB3s could be disrupting the wifi netwok in the whole house? Could one SB3 acting up disrupt the other one on the second floor (bedroom) and cause it to also re-boot randomly?
IIRC Disrupting other player has not been reported before. If an SB3/Sb2/Classic/Receiver is rebooting randomly - it is more likely a failing WLAN card in that player.

chamonix
2018-02-13, 08:55
My SB3 was constantly "re-booting" while connected to the wifi network in our home. I also tried to connect it with Ethernet direct to Modem, , but same constant re-booting problem. I understood from this forum that a bad wifi card can also interfere with an Ethernet connection (see bpa comment above) .
So I ordered this wifi card from China. E-Bay listing here,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atheros-AR2413A-AR5005G-AR5BMB5-Mini-PCI-WLAN-Wifi-Wireless-Card-/263241140110

price, was only $4.80 included shipping from Hong Kong. You need the Atheros AR2413A AR5005G chipset

here it is. New wifi board below.

next, I opened up my SB3 to compare new card to old one. You need a #10 Torx screwdriver to take the Squeezebox apart. Pins on wifi card all seem to be the same, hope I don't brick my SB3 !
I did see that pin pattern at bottom of new card is different, but decided to try it anyway. New wifi card on left.
Now carefully release two antenna wires at top of wifi card, then release two clips on side of wifi card. Card will tip up on antenna edge for removal.
Replace old wifi card with new one.

New wifi card installed here.
better picture showing clips (in red) you have to pull aside to remove wifi board. Pull antenna connectors (at top here) off wifi board first.

to be continued

chamonix
2018-02-13, 09:17
So I continued , connected it to a power supply, and use Toslink digital connection to my home audio system.

It works! No random reboots yet, and it has been "on" continuously for 42 minutes connected to my home wifi network. No smoke yet.

I will order some more of these wifi boards off E-Bay. Cheap insurance to keep my two SB3s working, at $4.80 each.

chamonix
2018-02-13, 10:47
sgmlaw wrote above
But the wi-fi card on these do fail, and they disrupt all networking when they malfunction.

After my project above to replace wifi card in our bedroom SB3, the second SB3 in living room has stopped randomly re-booting too :)

So it appears that one bad wifi card in an SB3 (since replaced) CAN interfere with all networking.

TomAmes
2018-02-13, 10:53
Congrats!

I hope I never have to return to this thread, but it is nice to know it is here if I need it. Thanks for the detailed pics and other info!

chamonix
2018-02-13, 11:29
Congrats!

I hope I never have to return to this thread, but it is nice to know it is here if I need it. Thanks for the detailed pics and other info!

You're welcome,
I was thinking I should have posted it as a separate thread, so forum members could find it more easily with a search.

chamonix
2018-02-13, 16:38
Well some bad news. This particular SB3 (with new wifi card) still seems to be re-booting, but at longer intervals, say every 45 minutes. Speakers emit a loud "crack" sound, then SB3 screen goes blank. I have to unplug PS, then plug it back in to get SB to come back to life.

I will try it at a different electrical outlet, but running out of options. Right now it is plugged into a Trip-Lite surge protector too. I have also tried 2 different PS too. Second SB3 downstairs is functioning perfectly, whereas it had been re-booting from time-to-time.

Any ideas?

bpa
2018-02-14, 02:30
An SB3 can work without the WLAN card installed but then you can only use a wired connection.

You can test the problem SB3 to see if WLAN card is anything to do with 45 min problem. If you remove the SB3 WLAN card, move the problem SB3 and connect with cable to router and possibly use headphones to listen. Check if 45 min problem recurs. If it does then it is a mainboard or PSU problem.

I can't think why a bad SB3 should cause the reboot of another SB3 unless (i) shared the same IP address or (ii) they were on the same electrical circuit but that is very unlikely.

The user joemuc2009 has done a lot of repairs on various Boom and Transporter SB player (his blog is here http://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.ie/2017/04/logitech-squeezebox-boom-vfd-display_30.html ). Perhaps you could PM him and see if he has seen this problem before.

chamonix
2018-02-14, 07:15
Thanks bpa,
Here is my latest "theory". I noticed yesterday afternoon, the interval between re-boots was decreasing, so that made me think that over time, some internal component was heating up. Residual heat in the enclosure was causing the re-boot interval to be reduced over time; by the end it would reboot every 15 minutes.

Last night, I set up the upstairs SB3 (with the new wifi card) on the bedside table, with no cover at all. Just the bare circuit board sitting on the countertop. Well it didn't reboot all night ! So I am considering drilling cooling holes in the top and bottom of the Squeezebox enclosure.

Any other ideas?

bpa
2018-02-14, 07:22
Any other ideas?

The main source of heat is the VFD display. You could set the display to off and see if it affects reboot. The VFD has two heating wires which runs across the display (they can be seen glowing in a darkened room) - they are on all the time no matter if display is dimmed/dark so I'm not sure temp goes down a bit if display is darkened.

edit:

Do a Xilinx reset just to be sure as well.

Looks like a similar problem to TorbenGB here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?106765-Squeezebox-Classic-keeps-rebooting-mid-song&p=872650&viewfull=1#post872650
Unfortunately no solution.

chamonix
2018-02-23, 17:32
bpa wrote,
"Unfortunately no solution."

Even with the cover off, SB3 is re-booting every 15 minutes..so..

I just ordered a used SB3 off E-bay. Seller claims it only had one owner, and "works perfectly". All for $95 with remote and PS. We'll see if it works.
I set up my SB3s so long ago, I don't remember how to link them to my account at squeezebox.com.

Paul Webster
2018-02-24, 00:29
I just ordered a used SB3 off E-bay. Seller claims it only had one owner, and "works perfectly". All for $95 with remote and PS. We'll see if it works.
I set up my SB3s so long ago, I don't remember how to link them to my account at squeezebox.com.
Your first step probably will need to be a PM to Michael Herger with the MAC address of the replacement SB3 to get it unregistered on mysqueezebox.com so that you can then add it to your own account since many sellers do not remember to unregister the device before selling it.

chamonix
2018-03-02, 15:30
Your first step probably will need to be a PM to Michael Herger with the MAC address of the replacement SB3 to get it unregistered on mysqueezebox.com so that you can then add it to your own account since many sellers do not remember to unregister the device before selling it.

I didn't have any problem with a conflict with old registration. See below.

Well I got the "used" SB3 today, that I bought off E-Bay. It arrived, looking new, with remote, and P/S all in the original Slim Designs box, with even the foam blocks to hold SB3 in box.

On initial power up it tried to connect to the previous owners wifi network, then told me "Unable to connect to network". So I press and hold the LEFT grey arrow key on remote down, and hold it for 5 seconds. This is documented in the Squeezebox Owners manual, bottom of page 8.
Then manually connected to my wifi network, by scrolling down until my SSID came up on the screen. It did obtain the IP address automatically using DHCP.

When it came time to connect to my Squeezebox account, I had to manually enter my old e-mail and password using the remote... This was tricky as I had to find the @ key with the remote. Well scroll up using the grey UP arrow on the remote until you see @. This is not documented anywhere in my printed manual.
Once the SB3 was linked to my account, all my stored radio channels, and my various Pandora music channels are available on the Squeezebox under Favorites.

Success ! It works perfectly, both channels have good audio off a Toslink connection, or off the small headphone jack. And now I have a spare power supply and remote control too.

chamonix
2018-04-16, 11:26

You were right, I started to get this message, on the SB3 screen.
" Problem, your player needs to have it's MAC address reset. Please visit mysqueezebox.com/support for assistance ".
So thanks to your suggestion, Michael unregistered my SB3 (to previous owner) on mysqueezebox.com, then helped me reset the MAC address, to match MAC address on back of SB3 enclosure. After that I "linked" the SB3 back to my mysqueezebox account, and everything is working fine now.
All fixed, thanks to Michael.

Let's hope my two SB3 devices, (including E-bay replacement SB3) keep working ok now

sgmlaw
2018-04-17, 18:14
After my project above to replace wifi card in our bedroom SB3, the second SB3 in living room has stopped randomly re-booting too :)

So it appears that one bad wifi card in an SB3 (since replaced) CAN interfere with all networking.

No, I didn't mean it that broadly. A malfunctioning wifi card will disrupt all networking interfaces in that particular SB client. But the disruption should not extend past that device.

I have never seen one bad client take out another client like you are describing.