PDA

View Full Version : Search & Play doesn't work when Playlist is not empty

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 12:13
If I listen to my local music, search for a radio station (I think this is done via TuneIn Radio) and then try to play it, nothing happens.

Example:

Listen to local music
Search(!) for a radio station
Select "Play" to play the radio station
Nothing happens

If the playlist is empty "Play" starts the radio station as expected.
If I don't search but pick a station (World / Europe / Germany...) it starts whether the playlist is empty or not.

Is this an intended behavior?

Edit:

"Add to End" doesn't do anything either, while "Play Next" adds to the playlist as expected.

kidstypike
2017-12-29, 12:41
If I listen to my local music, search for a radio station (I think this is done via TuneIn Radio) and then try to play it, nothing happens.

Example:

Listen to local music
Search(!) for a radio station
Select "Play" to play the radio station
Nothing happens

If the playlist is empty "Play" starts the radio station as expected.
If I don't search but pick a station (World / Europe / Germany...) it starts whether the playlist is empty or not.

Is this an intended behavior?

Edit:

"Add to End" doesn't do anything either, while "Play Next" adds to the playlist as expected.

Which interface are you referring to?
LMS web ui?
Player controls?
Phone App?

Works fine for me using any interface.

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 13:10
Which interface are you referring to?
LMS web ui?
Player controls?
Phone App?

Works fine for me using any interface.

This happens on all my players. No difference if I use the Touches interface, try this via iPeng or LMS' web UI.

kidstypike
2017-12-29, 13:29
This happens on all my players. No difference if I use the Touches interface, try this via iPeng or LMS' web UI.

Certainly not intended behaviour. I've just tried this again on all players, all interfaces, with local music playing and an empty playlist, woks fine, no problems.
Sorry, can't suggest anything.

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 13:53
Certainly not intended behaviour. I've just tried this again on all players, all interfaces, with local music playing and an empty playlist, woks fine, no problems.
Sorry, can't suggest anything.

If could try this just one more time (I describe every single click in LMS' web UI):

Click on Logitech Media Server, to get to the start screen.
Click on "New Music"
Click on Play button on the disc on top. It starts playing.
Click on "Home"
Click on Radio / Search
The left pane clears, there's a single entry "Search"
Search for 977
There is just one entry: "97.7 The Rocket". Click on Play
Nothing happens.
Click on "Home"
Click "Radio / Search", enter 977 click mag. glass
Several results. Click on the first one (97.7 The Rocket).
Now click on Play.
It starts playing. (Well, there doesn't seem to be anything on this channel, but it's in the playlist now.)

Another question is, why do I get different results when searching for the same thing?

kidstypike
2017-12-29, 14:17
If could try this just one more time (I describe every single click in LMS' web UI):

Click on Logitech Media Server, to get to the start screen.
Click on "New Music"
Click on Play button on the disc on top. It starts playing.
Click on "Home"
Click on Radio / Search
The left pane clears, there's a single entry "Search"
Search for 977
There is just one entry: "97.7 The Rocket". Click on Play
Nothing happens.
Click on "Home"
Click "Radio / Search", enter 977 click mag. glass
Several results. Click on the first one (97.7 The Rocket).
Now click on Play.
It starts playing. (Well, there doesn't seem to be anything on this channel, but it's in the playlist now.)

Another question is, why do I get different results when searching for the same thing?

Couple of things.

You don't need to click on Radio / Search, you can type in the box alongside.
Mine is named Search Tunein.

I get 17 search items

As you say, the first item "97.7 The Rocket" doesn't play, the next 2 do play.

kidstypike
2017-12-29, 14:32
OK, I see what you mean, if you click on "Search Tunein" and then enter "977" you get one item "Rocket 97.7" which appears to be some kind of playlist, and doesn't play.

Do the same steps but instead of "977" enter "beatles" does that work as expected?

bpa
2017-12-29, 14:42
Tunein is an aggregator so sometime items return don't play because they are out of date (e.g. The rocket URL is a 404 ), no longer support the format of the player or geo locked.

Also as an aggregator it may return items in a different order depending on fees, popularity, "featured" etc.

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 14:49
OK, I see what you mean, if you click on "Search Tunein" and then enter "977" you get one item "Rocket 97.7" which appears to be some kind of playlist, and doesn't play.

Here it's just called "Search" not, "Search TuneIn"...

I get 17 search items

That's also interesting. I got more.

Do the same steps but instead of "977" enter "beatles" does that work as expected?

Not entirely. While it works on the web UI, it seems that the players and iPeng use the "clicked on" search. This kind of search seems to provide a) partially different results and b) results that do not make their way to the playlist (despite having the same URL) if clicked.

kidstypike
2017-12-29, 14:50
Tunein is an aggregator so sometime items return don't play because they are out of date (e.g. The rocket URL is a 404 ), no longer support the format of the player or geo locked.

Also as an aggregator it may return items in a different order depending on fees, popularity, "featured" etc.

I think the question here is - why does

LMS > Radio > click "Search Tunein" enter "977" > produce just the one result?

LMS > Radio > don't click "Search Tunein", just enter "977" in the box > produce seventeen results?

kidstypike
2017-12-29, 14:55

That's also interesting. I got more.

Not entirely. While it works on the web UI, it seems that the players and iPeng use the "clicked on" search. This kind of search seems to provide a) partially different results and b) results that do not make their way to the playlist (despite having the same URL) if clicked.

Ha ha, too much for me ... I've started on the beer! ;)

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 14:55

But: If I find this Rocket Radio thingy via clicking on "Search" (and then enter "977" on the new page) it won't change my playlist while finding it (same thing, same URL) via the "not clicking on search and entering it directly" it does.

That shouldn't happen, should it?

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 15:01
Ha ha, too much for me ... I've started on the beer! ;)

I like the way you think. I'll think I'll need one as well. So, how do you toast in Brindle? Here in Braunschweig it's plain and simple "Prost!"

Here's to you guys, trying to make sense of my problems. Thank you!

kidstypike
2017-12-29, 15:06
I like the way you think. I'll think I'll need one as well. So, how do you toast in Brindle? Here in Braunschweig it's plain and simple "Prost!"

Here's to you guys, trying to make sense of my problems. Thank you!

Cheers!

bpa
2017-12-29, 15:09

"Search" in the Radio menu
"Search Tunein " under the Apps/Tunein Radio menu.

bpa
2017-12-29, 15:13
But: If I find this Rocket Radio thingy via clicking on "Search" (and then enter "977" on the new page) it won't change my playlist while finding it (same thing, same URL) via the "not clicking on search and entering it directly" it does.

That shouldn't happen, should it?

Sorry don't understand.

Behaviour may depend on the user interface (e.g. Web vs Squeezplay/Touch) being used.

kidstypike
2017-12-29, 15:17
"Search" in the Radio menu
"Search Tunein " under the Apps/Tunein Radio menu.

My "Search Tunein" is in the Radio menu, I don't have a "Tunein Radio" App!

bpa
2017-12-29, 15:21

Do you run LMS with --nomysqueezebox ?

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 15:25

But I do! ;)

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 15:27
Sorry don't understand.

I get that a lot. I'll make pictures. Just give me a sec.

Behaviour may depend on the user interface (e.g. Web vs Squeezplay/Touch) being used.

In this case: No.24260

That's one method. This is working. But wait, there's more! (I'll have to make it first, though. Just a moment.)

kidstypike
2017-12-29, 15:31
Do you run LMS with --nomysqueezebox ?

Yes, I do.

bpa
2017-12-29, 15:33
Yes, I do.

IIRC in 7.9 in response to some users who wanted to run LMS independent of mysqueezebox - a number of "features" which were handled by mysqueezebox were moved into their own LMS plugin. Tunein is one of them and access to mysqeezebox accounts for the differences in the menus.

kidstypike
2017-12-29, 15:45
IIRC in 7.9 in response to some users who wanted to run LMS independent of mysqueezebox - a number of "features" which were handled by mysqueezebox were moved into their own LMS plugin. Tunein is one of them and access to mysqeezebox accounts for the differences in the menus.

Hmmm, but LMS on my Windows PC has "Search Tunein" under Radio also, and this instance of LMS does not run with "--nomysqueezebox.com" ?

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 15:57
Sorry don't understand.

I updated the picture. And here it is:

Left: Searching "directly"
Right: Searching after having clicked on "Search"

The "Right" search seems to be the one used in iPeng etc. (at least with my configuration here).

And for some reason this forum changed it to jpg. Bah.

bpa
2017-12-29, 15:59
Hmmm, but LMS on my Windows PC has "Search Tunein" under Radio also, and this instance of LMS does not run with "--nomysqueezebox.com" ?
I can't explain all the differecne (old install and caches can affect this) but the "nomysqueezebox" eliminates the Tunein entry under App as well as Radio.

The text "Search Tune-in" come from the Tune-in site itself when LMS asks for the opml of the Tune-in App (i.e. categories etc) as part of the LMS plugin separation from mysqueezebox

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<opml version="1">
<head>
<title>Browse</title>
<status>200</status>

</head>
<body>
<outline type="link" text="Local Radio" URL="http://opml.radiotime.com/Browse.ashx?c=local&amp;partnerId=16" key="local"/>
<outline type="link" text="Music" URL="http://opml.radiotime.com/Browse.ashx?c=music&amp;partnerId=16" key="music"/>
<outline type="link" text="News" URL="http://opml.radiotime.com/Browse.ashx?id=c57922&amp;partnerId=16" key="news"/>
<outline type="link" text="Sports" URL="http://opml.radiotime.com/Browse.ashx?c=sports&amp;partnerId=16" key="sports"/>
<outline type="link" text="Talk" URL="http://opml.radiotime.com/Browse.ashx?c=talk&amp;partnerId=16" key="talk"/>
<outline type="link" text="By Location" URL="http://opml.radiotime.com/Browse.ashx?id=r0&amp;partnerId=16" key="location"/>
<outline type="link" text="By Language" URL="http://opml.radiotime.com/Browse.ashx?c=lang&amp;partnerId=16" key="language"/>
<outline type="search" text="Search TuneIn" URL="http://opml.radiotime.com/Search.ashx?query={QUERY}&amp;partnerId=16"/>
<outline type="link" text="Podcasts" URL="http://opml.radiotime.com/Browse.ashx?c=podcast&amp;partnerId=16" key="podcast"/>
</body>
</opml>

bpa
2017-12-29, 16:03
I updated the picture. And here it is:

Left: Searching "directly"
Right: Searching after having clicked on "Search"

And for some reason this forum changed it to jpg. Bah.
When the Tunein plugin was created in 7.9.*, I think it broke the "search" on a separate page. It used to return a list of results like the search on the top page an now it seems ot return only one and also "play " doesn't work.

BTW - beware of Radio URLs in playlist as often as Radio URL is itself a playlist of many URLs and so using ">>" may seem to be broken when in fact LMS is skipping through the radio URL playlist which won't be displayed unless you drill down and take note of the exact URL being played

edit:

The Tunein plugin does special stuff to get and displayt Tune-in supplied metadata so I think metadata may be displayed even if URL is not connected.

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 16:15
When the Tunein plugin was created in 7.9.*, I think it broke the "search" on a separate page. It used to return a list of results like the search on the top page an now it seems ot return only one and also "play " doesn't work.

BTW - beware of Radio URLs in playlist as often as Radio URL is itself a playlist of many URLs and so using ">>" may seem to be broken when in fact LMS is skipping through the radio URL playlist which won't be displayed unless you drill down and take note of the exact URL being played

edit:

The Tunein plugin does special stuff to get and displayt Tune-in supplied metadata so I think metadata may be displayed even if URL is not connected.

Hm, okay. But all my players still use this broken search.

Funny thing, though:

iPeng: My Apps / TuneIn Radio / Search TuneIn: 997 -> Results: 12.
WebUI: My Apps / TuneIn Radio / Search TuneIn: 997 -> Results: 19

Please excuse me, I'll run around screaming now.

Let's call it a day. Thank you for confirming that something is off here.

bpa
2017-12-29, 16:17
Hm, okay. But all my players still use this broken search.
Players do not use the search. The UIs implement the search and you have choice which ones to use.

iPeng: My Apps / TuneIn Radio / Search TuneIn: 997 -> Results: 12.
WebUI: My Apps / TuneIn Radio / Search TuneIn: 997 -> Results: 19

Are the iPeng and WebUI search for the same player ?
Remember the results will be matched to the capabilities of the player.

kidstypike
2017-12-29, 16:17

I tried that ... didn't help :(

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 16:22
Players do not use the search. The UIs implement the search and you have choice which ones to use.

Hm.... Radio / Search in the player's menu and iPeng give me the "broken" results.

Are the iPeng and WebUI search for the same player ?
Remember the results will be matched to the capabilities of the player.

Same player (SqueezePlay).

[Edit: However: I tried the Touch, there it's the same results. I'll try tomorrow what happens if I add one of these seven missing results to my favorites and try then to access them via iPeng. If the world is devoured by a rupture in the space time continuum tomorrow, yeah, that's probably on me.]

I tried that ... didn't help :(

More beer it is. Cheers!

bpa
2017-12-29, 16:28
Hm.... Radio / Search in the player's menu and iPeng give me the "broken" results.

On Squeezplay and iPeng the Search menu is equivalent to the "Search" on a separate page - so it is the same bug only on different UIs

Use the Tune-in App Search on Squeezeplay (and probably iPeng) as a workaround.

Please report the bug to Michael.

Leave the results issue until tomorrow. You can compare the request from QebUI and Squeezeplay and reponse length by enabling logging network.asynchttp to DEBUG.

dolodobendan
2017-12-29, 16:30
On Squeezplay and iPeng the Search menu is equivalent to the "Search" on a separate page - so it is the same bug only on different UIs

Use the Tune-in App Search on Squeezeplay (and probably iPeng) as a workaround.

Please report the bug to Michael.

Leave the results issue until tomorrow.

I'll do so.

Thank you. You two have been a great help.

Edit:

Didn't have time to test logging network.asynchttp yet, but I found another problem:

1. In Web UI, click Radio, go to "Search" (the "good" one).
2. Search for "977"
3. Works just fine
4. Go back to "Search".
5. Search for "авто радио"
6. Firefox just says "Waiting for ...", but nothing happens.
7. Go back to "Search"
8. Search for "977"
9. Nothing happens, LMS restart is required to fix this.

It works with My Apps / TuneIn Radio / Search TuneIn, though.

I found this because I somehow added some radio stations yesterday with the RSS logo instead of the real one and wanted to re-add them, so there's also a "do it this way and you get the wrong logo bug" in there.

Edit 2:

The RSS logo is used when radio station is added in "Playing Now". If added browsing the search results, the station's logo is used.