PDA

View Full Version : BBC radio streams - anybody using alexa Echo to access ?

castalla
2017-12-14, 11:49
Off-topic but ...

Alexa has defaulted to the new BBC skill for BBC streams ... it doesn't work for me other than playing an annoying jingle.

Non-UK user

Does it work for you?

bpa
2017-12-14, 13:52
The new BBC skill is not offered to me.

castalla
2017-12-14, 14:11
The new BBC skill is not offered to me.

Do you have a uk amazon account?

bpa
2017-12-14, 14:38
Do you have a uk amazon account?

No - you indicated that you were a non UK user. If you get a jingle and not a stream then I suspect you've been connected to a geo-locked UK resource.

edit:
I don't know how amazon determines country of an account. I first signed up with amazon.com and have used other country amazon's including UK with same id but address is Rep of Ire. Echo and Dot used not to be delivered by Amazon to Rep of Irel. not sure current status.

castalla
2017-12-14, 14:50
No - you indicated that you were a non UK user. If you get a jingle and not a stream then I suspect you've been connected to a geo-locked UK resource.

edit:
I don't know how amazon determines country of an account. I first signed up with amazon.com and have used other country amazon's including UK with same id but address is Rep of Ire. Echo and Dot used not to be delivered by Amazon to Rep of Irel. not sure current status.

All this geo business is a real pain. It's the same with Google Home.

Crazy thing is that Amazon announced recently a huge expansion to other countries for the echos BUT guess what Eire and Spain aren't included? Portugal and Iceland are ... go figure

cheers

bpa
2017-12-14, 16:54
All this geo business is a real pain. It's the same with Google Home.

Crazy thing is that Amazon announced recently a huge expansion to other countries for the echos BUT guess what Eire and Spain aren't included? Portugal and Iceland are ... go figure

The only devices that Google sell through their website are Chromecasts - no Home, mini, Daydream, cardboard, pixel phones, wifi or chromebooks (except out of stock Pixel C). Strange given they employ so many here.

BTW Your use of "Eire" is curious - it is really only used on forms which are in Irish. Do you also say Cote D'Ivoire rather than Ivory Coast ?

castalla
2017-12-14, 17:28
The only devices that Google sell through their website are Chromecasts - no Home, mini, Daydream, cardboard, pixel phones, wifi or chromebooks (except out of stock Pixel C). Strange given they employ so many here.

BTW Your use of "Eire" is curious - it is really only used on forms which are in Irish. Do you also say Cote D'Ivoire rather than Ivory Coast ?

Cote D'Ivoire? Probably. I live in the EU (thank goodness) and I just love the design of the Irish 1 Euro coin! (only matched in design terms by the Finnish/Suomi euro coin!) ... and without getting too political, you can probably guess where my sympathies lie.

And my 2 favourite plugins (iplayer and habtunes alexa) are both Irish in origin! My other favourite plugins are similarly from a non-Anglo-Saxon jurisdiction (Le Canada)

Ah well ... let's see if there are other responses on the original issue.

bpa
2017-12-14, 18:07
And my 2 favourite plugins (iplayer and habtunes alexa) are both Irish in origin! My other favourite plugins are similarly from a non-Anglo-Saxon jurisdiction (Le Canada)

Even after DASH was added, the bulk of iPlayer was still written by Triode - I just keep it going because I use everyday.

Just checked my Amazon account - postel address is currently set for N.Ireland. Alexa device registration has been set for Engish (UK) and tried location UK and Ireland. Skill not shown on website and if I ask "Alexa enable BBC skill" it replies "This is skill is not available for your language" - feels like a fudge for doing geo-ip locking perhaps by BBC during skill installation.

castalla
2017-12-14, 23:01
Even after DASH was added, the bulk of iPlayer was still written by Triode - I just keep it going because I use everyday.

Just checked my Amazon account - postel address is currently set for N.Ireland. Alexa device registration has been set for Engish (UK) and tried location UK and Ireland. Skill not shown on website and if I ask "Alexa enable BBC skill" it replies "This is skill is not available for your language" - feels like a fudge for doing geo-ip locking perhaps by BBC during skill installation.

Thanks for trying - it's a mystery. It was auto-enabled for me - if I disable it, it enables itself again when I say 'Play radio 4'.

frozzers
2017-12-15, 00:03
Off-topic but ...

Alexa has defaulted to the new BBC skill for BBC streams ... it doesn't work for me other than playing an annoying jingle.

Non-UK user

Does it work for you?

It's not just you ...

https://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html#skills/dp/B077P7TNF2/reviews

Chris

castalla
2017-12-15, 00:18
It's not just you ...

https://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html#skills/dp/B077P7TNF2/reviews

Chris

I was hoping to establish whether there's a common factor for those where it doesn't work.

One suggestion is that it's geo limited in some convoluted way ...

bpa
2017-12-15, 02:41
I feel there is some geo-ip or some other checking going on or I have some weird setting somewhere.

When I access the above review on BBC skill - I can see it for a while and then Alexa web site drops back to login !

From user comments - they say audio quality is better than BBC via Tune-in which would mean users are getting UK only streams vs Tune-in non UK streams.

castalla
2017-12-15, 02:58
There are only a few reviews - about 50/50 works/crap. I just hate the way it is the default AND that it can't be disabled!

slartibartfast
2017-12-15, 03:30
There are only a few reviews - about 50/50 works/crap. I just hate the way it is the default AND that it can't be disabled!Works for me but I'm in the UK. I suppose you can say "Ask tunein to play ......." but it does seem odd to be offered a skill that doesn't work in your location.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

castalla
2017-12-15, 07:01
Works for me but I'm in the UK. I suppose you can say "Ask tunein to play ......." but it does seem odd to be offered a skill that doesn't work in your location.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hmm ... alexa online support said it was a known problem. All very strange.

castalla
2017-12-15, 19:08
Progress of sorts ... podcasts have suddenly started working!

castalla
2017-12-17, 17:16
Geo-blocking confirmed ... seems only available for UK users.