Clear All
  • SlimChances
    • Apr 2005

The Automation of Selling Out

Am 16.12.17 um 06:07 schrieb pablolie:
    >
    > mherger wrote:
    >>>> . Which is

>> still less than the 0.00012 cents they'd get from Spotify.
    >> l

>
    > .00012 cents * a billion is still worth more than $1 of a CD no one buys
    > anymore.

Exactly. Your quote is lacking a bit of context: I was saying that while
    Bandcamp did pay the artists better than Spotify, this was only true if
    you actually bought on Bandcamp, rather than just enjoyed the free ride
    using my plugin.

--

Michael
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.1 - 1708046708 @ Fri 16 Feb 2024 05:15:06 AM CET
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.34.0 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    IO::Socket::SSL: 2.074
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)

• SlimChances
    • Apr 2005

The Automation of Selling Out

I could never understand the allure of services of Spotify which seem to spoon feed listeners rather than encouraging them to make the effort to research and find music on their own; through friends, concerts, searching music stores etc. But I guess I am out of touch with modern ways

" What good will criticism be when all of music has coalesced into algorithmically preordained Muzak?"
    Last edited by SlimChances; 2017-12-12, 00:17.
    Logitech Media Server Version: 8.4.1 - 1708046708 @ Fri 16 Feb 2024 05:15:06 AM CET

Comment

• castalla
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by SlimChances
      https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-pr...th-muzak-pelly

I could never understand the allure of services of Spotify which seem to spoon feed listeners rather than encouraging them to make the effort to research and find music on their own; through friends, concerts, searching music stores etc. But I guess I am out of touch with modern ways

" What good will criticism be when all of music has coalesced into algorithmically preordained Muzak?"
      Strange - I use Spotify almost 100% compared to the laborious 'DIY' process involved in in maintaining a squeezebox database, especially with playlists ... I can search on the web for some obscure 'tune' played in a TV series, then go to Spotify or Amazon Music, and add it to a playlist, which is then easily managed online.

I've been defeated trying to find the BBC live sessions version of 'Wicked Game' by London Grammar .... any clues?
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Grumpy Bob
        • Dec 2010

I find the role of Spotify (and other streaming services) quite interesting in a generational sort of way. I grew up in an era when finding music could be quite a challenge, particularly when one was interested in rather 'alternative' genres. I do have a premium Spotify subscription, but I use it to listen to music before buying a copy (either physical or download). I don't use Spotify produced playlists. I don't expect to have a Spotify subscription for ever - either the service will change or go under in some way.

Spotify generated playlists don't reflect the music I listen to (the vast majority not through Spotify) - if they used last.fm they might be able to make a better stab at it!

So, under my purchase model, Spotify royalties are far from the only income stream from me to the artist and record label. I'd love to know how widespread that is!

Robert
        Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
        Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
        2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
        Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
        Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Comment

• drmatt
          • Apr 2013

I think Spotify/tidal/iTunes are the future. Seems to me that buying physical media or even bothering to purchase digital media will be a side show, a curiosity for the old and nostalgic in ten years time. The industry wants subscription, and now it has a taste for it physical media in particular is under threat.

I will of course be one of the old and nostalgic, but there you go. I do see it becoming the norm.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk
          --
          Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with Debian+LMS 7.9.0
          Music: ~1300 CDs, as 450 GB of 16/44k FLACs. No less than 3x 24/44k albums..

Comment

• Peter Galbavy
            • Sep 2009

Curated music services are just the status quo (no pun intended) returning to where the music industry was 30 years ago - and it is an industry with huge vested financial interests.

I was working at the periphery of groups that were very much the utopians of the disintermediation fashion in the 90s, the removal of barriers between content producers (musicians) and the consumers. The music industry actively conspired to ensure this brave new world headed for oblivion. They actively seeded and covertly encouraged illegal distribution as a strawman to have something to hold up and say it's a bad thing.

The result is Spotify, iTunes et al. Enjoy.

Comment

• slartibartfast
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Peter Galbavy
              Curated music services are just the status quo (no pun intended) returning to where the music industry was 30 years ago - and it is an industry with huge vested financial interests.

I was working at the periphery of groups that were very much the utopians of the disintermediation fashion in the 90s, the removal of barriers between content producers (musicians) and the consumers. The music industry actively conspired to ensure this brave new world headed for oblivion. They actively seeded and covertly encouraged illegal distribution as a strawman to have something to hold up and say it's a bad thing.

I don't have a clue what any of that means.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
              Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
              Bedroom: Radio
              Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• bakker_be
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Peter Galbavy

On the other hand, at least for Belgian bands, I see bands which have no record deal, who've financed, recorded and released their album themselves, appearing on iTunes, Amazon, Tidal and Spotify.
                Main System: Marantz SR-5015 + Adam Audio T8V + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 3 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T560 + Kodi + LG OLED65B26LA + UP-Board running Daphile
                Kitchen: Touch + Ikea ENEBY 30
                Home-Office: SqueezeLite-X + Topping DX3 Pro + NAD 312 + TMA Premium 905

Comment

• bb1959
                  • Feb 2009

Um, dude, you're doing it wrong.

FWIW, I bought my first album when I was 8...in a gadda da vida

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-pr...th-muzak-pelly

Comment

• SlimChances
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by bb1959
                    Um, dude, you're doing it wrong.

FWIW, I bought my first album when I was 8...in a gadda da vida
                    Perhaps but to me while there is a wealth of music to choose from quality has steadily gone downhill for over 20 years

Comment

• castalla
                      • Feb 2008

Perhaps but to me while there is a wealth of music to choose from quality has steadily gone downhill for over 20 years
                      Can't argue with that ...
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• usc95
                        • Apr 2013

I used to use Spotify as a "try before you buy" kind of service but now I feel foolish for buying an album when for all intents and purposes I have all the access to it I need with the Spotify subscription. I had to really take a hard look at how I listen to music and also accept that I cannot tell the difference between my lossless ripped FLAC collection vs. the 320 kbps OGG files that Spotify serves up on my stereo systems. If Spotify would allow me to upload all of the live concerts I enjoy listening to and could play them back gaplessly then I would only use that service as it would meet all of my needs. I do miss the old feelings of serendipity that came with digging through the used CD bin at my favorite record store and finding some music I wasn't expecting or being turned on to a new band by my favorite dj or buddy that I knew also had good taste in music. Something about that process was rewarding in a way that a Spotify recommendation just cannot come close to matching. I also find I don't give a new album a real chance to grow on me since I have made no financial commitment beyond my monthly subscription.

Comment

• usbethjim
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by slartibartfast
                          I don't have a clue what any of that means.
                          THAT was funny...I spewed beer.

Jim
                          All wireless (TM-AC1900) except NAS (ReadyNAS PRO - OS 6.10.3 - 3GB RAM - 3 X 4TB drives - XRAID2 - LMS 7.9.3 )
                          Squeezebox Boom - Anywhere with an AC outlet
                          Squeezebox Touch > Bose Radio - Kitchen
                          Squeezebox Touch > Hafler 100 preamp > Hafler DH-220 amp > Sima SSW-L6 EX Speaker selector= Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II - Living Room, Definitive Tech ProMonitor 100 - Dining Room, Infinity US-1 - Porch
                          Ipeng on an iPad controls everything!

Comment

• bakker_be
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by usbethjim
                            THAT was funny...I spewed beer.

Jim
                            You should be severely punished: spew water, coffe, tea, soup, whatever, but NOT beer ...
                            Main System: Marantz SR-5015 + Adam Audio T8V + Teufel Ultima 20 Mk 3 + BK Monolith+ FF + Lenovo T560 + Kodi + LG OLED65B26LA + UP-Board running Daphile
                            Kitchen: Touch + Ikea ENEBY 30
                            Home-Office: SqueezeLite-X + Topping DX3 Pro + NAD 312 + TMA Premium 905

Comment

• d6jg
                              • Feb 2011

In the UK Spotify has replaced John Peel? No I don’t think so either.
                              Jim

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                              Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                              Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Celestion F10s
                              Dining Room SB Radio
                              Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                              Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                              Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

Working...