PDA

View Full Version : Recommended ripping software for windows?



Marc Sherman
2005-01-03, 12:45
It's time for me to re-rip my CD collection for use with my new
Squeezebox, and I was wondering what software people were recommending
these days for use on Win2k.

I used CDex for my last big batch of ripping, but it looks like it's
been unmaintained for about a year now, and it bundles an out-of-date
version of lame.

I've heard EAC mentioned a lot; is that what most people are using these
days? It's not open source, is it?

If it matters, I'll be ripping to high quality MP3, not FLAC.

Thanks for any advice,
- Marc

Jack Coates
2005-01-03, 13:10
Marc Sherman wrote:
> It's time for me to re-rip my CD collection for use with my new
> Squeezebox, and I was wondering what software people were recommending
> these days for use on Win2k.
>
> I used CDex for my last big batch of ripping, but it looks like it's
> been unmaintained for about a year now, and it bundles an out-of-date
> version of lame.
>

So stick the new lame in :) Sometimes software doesn't get updated
because it does what it's supposed to do.

I'm using CDex on Windows, Grip on Linux.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

Ted Cabeen
2005-01-03, 15:11
Jack Coates <jack (AT) monkeynoodle (DOT) org> writes:

> Marc Sherman wrote:
>> It's time for me to re-rip my CD collection for use with my new
>> Squeezebox, and I was wondering what software people were
>> recommending these days for use on Win2k.
>> I used CDex for my last big batch of ripping, but it looks like it's
>> been unmaintained for about a year now, and it bundles an
>> out-of-date version of lame.
>>
>
> So stick the new lame in :) Sometimes software doesn't get updated
> because it does what it's supposed to do.
>
> I'm using CDex on Windows, Grip on Linux.

If you were happy with CDEx, then upgrading lame is the simplest
solution. Just replace the lame_enc.dll file in your CDEx program
directory with the DLL for the current release of lame, and it'll work
fine. CDEx supports --alt-preset with the new DLLs.

--
Ted Cabeen http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen ted (AT) impulse (DOT) net
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2 secabeen (AT) pobox (DOT) com
"I have taken all knowledge to be my province." -F. Bacon secabeen (AT) cabeen (DOT) org
"Human kind cannot bear very much reality."-T.S.Eliot secabeen (AT) gmail (DOT) com

stephen van vuuren
2005-01-03, 23:10
I've used Fast CD Ripper (not free) with great success and speed.

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:11:52 -0800, Ted Cabeen <secabeen (AT) pobox (DOT) com> wrote:
> Jack Coates <jack (AT) monkeynoodle (DOT) org> writes:
>
> > Marc Sherman wrote:
> >> It's time for me to re-rip my CD collection for use with my new
> >> Squeezebox, and I was wondering what software people were
> >> recommending these days for use on Win2k.
> >> I used CDex for my last big batch of ripping, but it looks like it's
> >> been unmaintained for about a year now, and it bundles an
> >> out-of-date version of lame.
> >>
> >
> > So stick the new lame in :) Sometimes software doesn't get updated
> > because it does what it's supposed to do.
> >
> > I'm using CDex on Windows, Grip on Linux.
>
> If you were happy with CDEx, then upgrading lame is the simplest
> solution. Just replace the lame_enc.dll file in your CDEx program
> directory with the DLL for the current release of lame, and it'll work
> fine. CDEx supports --alt-preset with the new DLLs.
>
> --
> Ted Cabeen http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen ted (AT) impulse (DOT) net
> Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2 secabeen (AT) pobox (DOT) com
> "I have taken all knowledge to be my province." -F. Bacon secabeen (AT) cabeen (DOT) org
> "Human kind cannot bear very much reality."-T.S.Eliot secabeen (AT) gmail (DOT) com
>

Marc Sherman
2005-01-06, 09:18
Marc Sherman wrote:
> It's time for me to re-rip my CD collection for use with my new
> Squeezebox, and I was wondering what software people were recommending
> these days for use on Win2k.

Thanks everyone for all the advice on this thread.

After reading what everyone had to say, and playing with the rippers on
my windows box, I've given up on trying to find the perfect windows
ripper for my needs. What I'm doing now is using EAC to rip WAV files
into a holding area on a samba share on my linux box. I've got a script
on my linux box (which is also the slimserver), that encodes the WAVs
with lame, runs mp3gain on the directory for album normalization, and
then moves the resulting mp3s into my slimserver library.

I might also integrate a slimserver rescan into that script, so I can
disable the periodic rescans and only have it scan when I know I've
dropped new MP3s in the library.

Hmmm... it might be neat to have that script also maintain a "new rips"
playlist, with old stuff automatically removed from the playlist after a
certain period of time...

Thanks,
- Marc