PDA

View Full Version : Transporter heat

Antoniop
2017-11-28, 04:41
Hi all,
I recently bought a "new" (never used) transporter on eBay, that works fine, and I'm a little bit surprised because it heats up a little bit in standby mode.
I mean, it's not really hot, it's just a little bit warm, as my other gears stay always cold when not in use. Is it usual ?
Thanks !

drmatt
2017-11-28, 05:41
I don't think any of them really go "off" in standby, it's a computer running a Linux kernel, so power consumption will be essentially identical when off as when on.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk

SuperQ
2017-11-28, 05:48
The transporter is not Linux, it's a embedded system-on-a-chip, the [Ubicom IP3K](http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison).

To answer the OP, yes, the Transporter is always "on", and uses a few watts. Mine is always a bit warm, but it's an un-vented case design, so that's somewhat expected.

drmatt
2017-11-28, 07:07
Ok so maybe it doesn't use a Linux kernel, but it runs some software on a CPU in the same way (except it's called firmware because you have to flash it to a ROM chip!). The Touch and Radio both use a Linux kernel, of that I'm sure. Principle is the same, just the names are different..

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk

Antoniop
2017-11-28, 08:01
Thanks for the answers
That's seems logical to be a little hot then.
It's because the transporter in my house is in a quite completely closed cabinet so I wouldn't want it to be inappropriately hot. Moreover, the case has no apertures on the side, as far as I saw.

That's fine then,
Thanks !

Fizbin
2017-11-28, 15:45
Mine never gets hot. On the left side, it's barely warm in the winter and gets a little warm in the summer. I suppose if it's in a closed cabinet (particularly if there is no ventilation at all) it's going to heat up more.

I have a PS3 that's in another cabinet with a door and it gets super hot (even when off) if I close my cabinet. So I have to leave the door open.

garym
2017-11-28, 16:21
Mine is in a cabinet with a a bit of circulation (the front panel is wire mesh). If I touch the transporter, it is very mildly warm. Not even approaching what I would call even very warm much less hot. But it's not simply cold (like some equipment that is truly off).

p.s. it's been in this same cabinet, running 24/7 for about 10 years.

Antoniop
2017-11-29, 15:38
Mine never gets hot. On the left side, it's barely warm in the winter and gets a little warm in the summer. I suppose if it's in a closed cabinet (particularly if there is no ventilation at all) it's going to heat up more.

I have a PS3 that gets super hot (even when off) if I close my cabinet. So I have to leave the door open.

Hi,
Thanks for the thoughts, I suppose I should keep the door open or arrange some more ventilation.