PDA

View Full Version : FLAC fingerprinting in MusicIP Mixer windows 10 - how?

DavidBulluss
2017-10-17, 20:06
Have read a thread here where fingerprinting FLAC files on a NAS failed, but I got the impression that FLAC can be fingerprinted if on the same device, i.e. same computer as the software, but it doesn't work for me. Can it be done?

Regards, David

Wirrunna
2017-11-11, 04:20
David, I'm not quite sure what you are asking - do you want to MIP to fingerprint your music on Win 10 ?
Then you want to move the tracks to a NAS ?

If that is what you want, then that is exactly what I do.
MIP is installed on the Win 10 box, I make MIP analyze and archive the analysis in the tags, then the track is copied to the NAS (in my case a VortexBox) and the music is available to LMS for making MIP mixes.

DavidBulluss
2017-11-11, 15:43
David, I'm not quite sure what you are asking - do you want to MIP to fingerprint your music on Win 10 ?
Then you want to move the tracks to a NAS ?

If that is what you want, then that is exactly what I do.
MIP is installed on the Win 10 box, I make MIP analyze and archive the analysis in the tags, then the track is copied to the NAS (in my case a VortexBox) and the music is available to LMS for making MIP mixes.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I want to analyze FLAC on the same windows 10 box as MIP is installed on, nut it always shows the FLAC files as analyzable. It is working fine with MP3s. Am I missing something?

Cheers, David

Wirrunna
2017-11-11, 17:45
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I want to analyze FLAC on the same windows 10 box as MIP is installed on, nut it always shows the FLAC files as analyzable. It is working fine with MP3s. Am I missing something?

Cheers, David

Have you got Archive analysis ticked -

DavidBulluss
2017-11-11, 18:56
Have you got Archive analysis ticked -

Yes, it has been ticked all along. Any other thoughts? Have also changed my general settings to match yours, but still not working.

Cheers, David

Wirrunna
2017-11-11, 20:16
Are the .flac tracks in the same folder as the .mp3 ? If not, are they read only ? (they shouldn't be!) Do they have a - without a blank before and after? see attached jpg.
Edit. What version of MIP ? I'm running 1.8.1b to be compatible with the Unix version on the Vortexbox.

DavidBulluss
2017-11-11, 20:24
Are the .flac tracks in the same folder as the .mp3 ? If not, are they read only ? (they shouldn't be!) Do they have a - without a blank before and after? see attached jpg.

The FLAC files are in their own directory. The file titles are in the format track "number title.flac" e.g. 01 Lose Again.flac (space between track number and title). They are not write only, not ticked in the properties, plus I have previously changed permissions so that Everyone, and all other listed users, have full control.

Cheers, David

Wirrunna
2017-11-11, 23:47
What resolution are the flac files ? MIP ceased development in late 2007 and will only process 16bit 44.1 flac files.
Also, what version of MIP are you running ?

DavidBulluss
2017-11-12, 14:56
What resolution are the flac files ? MIP ceased development in late 2007 and will only process 16bit 44.1 flac files.

MIP version 1.8.1b - Oct 8, 2007.
You have solved the riddle for me! My library is across a network on a readynas, and knowing that the files need to be on the same windows box as MIP I had transferred over a folder of FLACs being only a test sample of one album. It just happens that the test sample album is 24/196. That is why it was failing. I have now transferred a 16/44.1 FLAC album onto the windows box and MIP works with it. At least part of my FLAC library can be analyzed, and I only have to move relatively few gigabytes back and forth!

Thanks for the info.

Cheers, David

Wirrunna
2017-11-12, 17:16
David,
There is a way to MIP tag 24/96 flac files,
see https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?39698-ID3-Tags-for-flac

The steps would be use dbPoweramp (or Foobar) to convert to 16/44 flac,

MIP analyze and archive tags,

With the 16/44 files selected in MP3Tag, select File menu >> Export, where you can export tags to a text file.

Then, with the 24/96 flac files selected in MP3Tag, select Convert menu >> Text file - Tag, where you can import the tags exported to the text file.

I haven't tried it but a test on an album would be worth trying, after all it would be a once only exercise.

DavidBulluss
2017-11-12, 17:22
David,
There is a way to MIP tag 24/96 flac files,
see https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?39698-ID3-Tags-for-flac

The steps would be use dbPoweramp (or Foobar) to convert to 16/44 flac,

MIP analyze and archive tags,

With the 16/44 files selected in MP3Tag, select File menu >> Export, where you can export tags to a text file.

Then, with the 24/96 flac files selected in MP3Tag, select Convert menu >> Text file - Tag, where you can import the tags exported to the text file.

I haven't tried it but a test on an album would be worth trying, after all it would be a once only exercise.

And same process for 24/192 as well I am guessing. :) Thanks for that, but a pity to lose the 24/192 and 24/96 now that I have them :) Will try it out of interest, though.

Cheers, David

Wirrunna
2017-11-12, 20:05
And same process for 24/192 as well I am guessing. :) Thanks for that, but a pity to lose the 24/192 and 24/96 now that I have them :) Will try it out of interest, though.

Cheers, David

The 16/44 version of the files is purely so MIP can analyze the music. The way MIP works is to convert the music into .wav in memory and then analyze and put the fingerprint into the MIP database on your computer and optionally write (archive) the tags to the file . After the analysis is archived MIP can read the fingerprint from the tags and doesn't have to perform the analysis again.
I'm betting that MIP will be able to read the tags of 24/192 files.
So after MIP has tagged the 16/44 and you have copied the tags to the 24/192 files you would delete the 16/44 versions, then MIP will read the analysis tags on the 24/192 files and be able to make mixes.

DavidBulluss
2017-11-12, 22:26
The 16/44 version of the files is purely so MIP can analyze the music. The way MIP works is to convert the music into .wav in memory and then analyze and put the fingerprint into the MIP database on your computer and optionally write (archive) the tags to the file . After the analysis is archived MIP can read the fingerprint from the tags and doesn't have to perform the analysis again.
I'm betting that MIP will be able to read the tags of 24/192 files.
So after MIP has tagged the 16/44 and you have copied the tags to the 24/192 files you would delete the 16/44 versions, then MIP will read the analysis tags on the 24/192 files and be able to make mixes.

That is all logical and makes sense. My only hiccup is not knowing how to transfer tags from the 16/44 files to the 24/xxx files... I have a few thousand of them... I know I can copy them in MP3tag as a batch for an album and then paste to the higher def file, but doing a whole media library at a time seems full of possible errors... is that going to be the only way?

Cheers, David

Wirrunna
2017-11-13, 00:58
David,
Hold fire, the tag copy is not as simple as I thought.
I will have a play and report back.

Wirrunna
2017-11-13, 05:29
David,
The details of exporting tags are here - https://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=10760&st=0

It ain't simple.

bakker_be
2017-11-13, 05:40
Since you're on Windows, Mediamonkey might have a solution for the transferring of tags (http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/browse/item/advanced-duplicate-find-fix/). I've never used this addon for this purpose, but I can vouch for mediamonkey as I use it for all tagging and library management since like forever ...

Roland0
2017-11-13, 12:13
just fyi: the metaflac (https://xiph.org/flac/documentation_tools_metaflac.html) cli tool (part of the official FLAC package) can export and import tags to files, so the whole process could be scripted easily...

slartibartfast
2017-11-28, 14:40
Also, what version of MIP are you running ?I have some 24/96 FLAC files which were successfully analysed by MusicIP 1.8.1b on Windows 7.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

DavidBulluss
2017-11-28, 14:57
I have some 24/96 FLAC files which were successfully analysed by MusicIP 1.8.1b on Windows 7.

That is interesting that you have said that. I have found that some, not many, of my 24/96 files have been fingerprinted on Win 10, but only a small proportion of the library. I have checked them in MusicScope to check that they were in fact 24/96 and they were. Have found previously some tracks labelled as 24/96 to actually be 16/44.

Cheers, David

Wirrunna
2017-11-29, 02:16
David,
I couldn't get the MP3Tag copy to work, I suspect Roland0's suggestion of using metaflac cli tool is probably the best way to copy tags from a 16/44.1 file to the same file at 24/96 .

But if MIP analyses some 24/96 try the final version 1.9b of MIP http://www.spicefly.com/article.php?page=musicip-software, that might analyse more.

DavidBulluss
2017-11-29, 15:58
David,
I couldn't get the MP3Tag copy to work, I suspect Roland0's suggestion of using metaflac cli tool is probably the best way to copy tags from a 16/44.1 file to the same file at 24/96 .

But if MIP analyses some 24/96 try the final version 1.9b of MIP http://www.spicefly.com/article.php?page=musicip-software, that might analyse more.

Thanks for the heads up on a more recent version of MM than I have been using.

I used MP3Tag to copy all tags from the 16/44 files and paste into the 24/96 & 192 files. I have a column visible in MP#Tag to show FLAC fingerprinting tags.

Cheers, David

slartibartfast
2017-11-29, 16:14
Thanks for the heads up on a more recent version of MM than I have been using.

I used MP3Tag to copy all tags from the 16/44 files and paste into the 24/96 & 192 files. I have a column visible in MP#Tag to show FLAC fingerprinting tags.

Cheers, DavidIf you use the newer version of MusicIP on Windows bear in mind that it won't be compatible with the older version on Linux and may cause problems if you want to use filters created in Windows on Linux.

DavidBulluss
2017-11-29, 16:36
If you use the newer version of MusicIP on Windows bear in mind that it won't be compatible with the older version on Linux and may cause problems if you want to use filters created in Windows on Linux.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't gotten as far as installing MM on the Pi3, just fingerprinting at the moment with a view to tackling the MM Pi3 install when I feel courageous!

Cheers, David

squeezebox_Fan
2018-07-17, 06:37

At least version 1.8 and 1.9 of MusicIP Mixer does fingerprinting on files with 24 Bit. But you cannot play those files with the MusicIPMixer Software without distortion. But if you use LMS for playback. Everything is fine.