PDA

View Full Version : iOS 11: Continue to Use Your Squeezeboxes with iPhone and iPad with iPeng 9

pippin
2017-09-18, 17:50
While Apple prepared to roll out iOS 11 to your iPhones and iPads out there, we have been busy making sure your favorite music App is ready in time, too.

An Alternative for Users of the Logitech Apps

This was of course especially important as Logitech’s own Apps for Squeezeboxes and the UE Smart Radio will stop working under iOS 11. So, if you have been a user of these Apps until now, you will need an alternative.

Of course I hope that you will find iPeng to be your best option now! And to help you a bit with your decision making, both iPeng 9 and iPeng ue will sell at a discount until end of September. Please note that the App Store automatically disables the discounted Upgrade Bundles for users of iPeng Classic, you will get a similar discount due to the reduced price during this time.

Three iPeng Apps will be Fully Compatible with iOS 11

And while support for specific iOS 11 features will take a little longer, iPeng 9 and iPeng ue now work fine with the new system and iPeng Party will follow soon.

Since iOS 11 brings bigger changes than most updates before, we decided to update all Apps we still support. One of the first and foremost implications of the transition to iOS 11 is the discontinuation of support for 32-bit Apps, which means a lot of older Apps will no longer work. As a consequence this means that on new devices we will have to say goodbye to the old “iPeng Classic” Apps under iOS 11. iPeng Classic, with the original Apps launched 9 and 7 years ago for iPhone and iPad, has been deprecated ever since we released iPeng 7 (now called iPeng 9) four years ago. We left the Apps on the App Store to give users of old hardware an option, but they are no longer supported for new devices.

Changes to the Apps

All our other Apps will run with iOS 11, with different implications for the respective Apps, though.

iPeng 9

iPeng 9 is seeing the smallest changes of all of our Apps. It has always been a 64-bit App, so even oldest iPeng 7 versions will still run under iOS 11. The latest update was only a few weeks ago, so changes are limited to fixes of some smaller compatibility issues in the user interface.
Find iPeng 9 on the App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/ipeng-7/id767266886?mt=8&uo=4&at=10l56j)

iPeng ue

For iPeng ue we have taken the opportunity to step up its version to 9.0 as well, and with that it gains two of the features formerly lacking in the UE Smart Radio version of iPeng:

Lock Screen Widget. The widget allows you to control your Smart Radio directly from the lock screen of your iPhone or iPad and gives you faster access to critical controls.
Multitasking support on iPad. iPeng ue now can run in a split-screen window alongside other Apps. While this has already been introduced with iOS 10, it becomes more important under iOS 11, and it allows you to keep iPeng always open next to another App so that you can still control and see your music while e.g. reading on your iPad.

Both features work just like in iPeng 9, please read our announcements for iPeng 9.0 to 9.2 here (http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2015/10/28/ipeng-moves-on-to-version-9/), here (http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2016/08/06/ipeng-widgetry/) and here (http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2016/09/23/ipeng-gets-ready-for-ios-10/) for details.
Find iPeng ue on the App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipeng-ue/id583668666?mt=8&uo=4&at=10l56j)

iPeng Party

The most significant changes will come to iPeng Party.

This is the first time iPeng Party becomes a 64-bit App, and with the upgrade, we have included a lot of the more modern code from iPeng 9 into the App in order to have full compatibility with the latest versions of Logitech Media Server. As you will see, performance has improved significantly as well.

And while the general user interface of iPeng Party has stayed the same, it has also adopted a lot of the look&feel of iPeng 9. If you are also an iPeng 9 user, you will feel more at home in iPeng Party now.
Find iPeng ue on the App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipeng-party/id508133086?mt=8&uo=4&at=10l56j)

I hope that with all these updates the transition to iOS 11 goes smoothly for you and that you continue to have fun with your Apple and Squeezebox devices and of course our Apps!

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2017/09/19/ipeng-is-ready-for-ios-11/

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Icon-60_masekd@3x.png http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Icon-Masked.png http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/iPengPartyNoBadge.png

pippin
2017-09-20, 08:54
Sorry if you were missing the discount for iPeng ue, the price change didn't get through in the first round, it should be rolling out now. The new price (until end of September) is USD 6 (or equivalent tier 6 price in other countries, e.g. Ä7 in most EU countries).

The price for iPeng 9 was changed correctly Monday evening.

nitrous
2017-09-21, 12:02
Sorry to bother, but I have just purchased iPeng 9 for iPad, itís excellent thanks!

But I also tried to load it on to my iPhone, but it wants me to pay again, which I havenít come across before, is this right?

Thanks.

pippin
2017-09-21, 12:40
No, this is not right. Please make sure you use the same App Store account on both devices.
You should also then be able to see the app under "Purchases" in the App Store: open the "Today" tab and tap on your account image in the top right corner. If you then open "Purchases->My Purchases" you should see the App and be able to download it without a purchase.
Otherwise: if you have the same account, purchasing the App again should be safe, the actual price will be determined by the App store server and if you really purchased the same App before with the same account you will not pay again but get the App for free.

I just tested this with the upgrade bundles where the App Store stubbornly shows the full bundle price (for both Apps) under iOS 11 because iPeng Classic is no longer available for download under iOS 11 - but if I actually try to purchase the bundle in the end I'm still only charged the upgrade price.

The App Store can be really, really confusing at times but actual bookings are typically correct and you can always claim a refund if they are not.

nitrous
2017-09-22, 12:39
Pippin, many thanks for your detailed reply, which enabled me to trace the issue to my iPhone. After several restarts it picked up my iTunes account and I now have iPeng 9 on both devices.

Best regards.

pippin
2017-09-22, 16:28
Ah, good to hear you got it solved. The App Store can be a bit temperamental at times

pippin
2017-10-01, 10:23
Welcome to all the new iPeng users who switched from the Logitech App over the last two weeks.

While response on iPeng has been quite good the general pickup of iOS 11 has been slower as usual (for iOS updates) so IĎm going to keep the discount on iPeng and iPeng UE open for a few more days.
Current plan is to keep it open until Tuesday the 3rd which is a public holiday here in Germany.

So if you are late to the party and itís now October 1st, you havenít missed out on the discount, yet.

yobyot
2017-10-01, 18:01
Welcome to all the new iPeng users who switched from the Logitech App over the last two weeks.

While response on iPeng has been quite good the general pickup of iOS 11 has been slower as usual (for iOS updates) so IĎm going to keep the discount on iPeng and iPeng UE open for a few more days.
Current plan is to keep it open until Tuesday the 3rd which is a public holiday here in Germany.

So if you are late to the party and itís now October 1st, you havenít missed out on the discount, yet.

Is this the discounted price in the US app store?

Of course, you can charge whatever you like. But one reason you may be seeing low uptake is that USD $9 (or even USD $6) for a remote control app is expensive, especially for a "dead" music system.

ftlight
2017-10-01, 20:00
Of course, you can charge whatever you like. But one reason you may be seeing low uptake is that USD $9 (or even USD $6) for a remote control app is expensive, especially for a "dead" music system.

For anyone still using LMS, as I assume all of us on these forums are, it's obviously not dead. And unlike many apps, which are written then abandoned, iPeng receives regular updates and Pippin provides immediate support for problems and suggestions. With the many features and the convenience of use that it brings to the Squeezebox system, the app is really worth far more than what he charges for it.

Just a very satisfied long-time user.

Bill

AangoTango
2017-10-01, 20:03
Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone else lost their piCorePlayer on iPeng when they upgraded to iOS 11?

I just bought iPeng 9 yesterday; it worked fine, and i was quite pleased. I updated my iphone this morning, when prompted to do so, and now no players are found in iPeng. LMS is still working fine with the player.

Am I missing something? Is there a solution? I tried uninstalling iPeng 9 from my phone and the re-downloading and re-installing, but still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Chris

pippin
2017-10-02, 00:31
Is this the discounted price in the US app store?
No, that's the original price.
The App store has created a bit of a mess with all of this, sorry for that but we can't really influence how Apple's system works.
The discounted price should now be back up.

What happened is that we originally had a price change back to the original price scheduled for yesterday.
We changed that to stay with the discounted price ($6.99) on Friday but obviously, while the store wasn't showing the price change in the control interface it was still left somewhere in their system and it took me a while to find out how to change it back and then a few hours until it rolls out on the App Store again.

It should be sorted by now.

Well, the dead music system is still something is still something people paid hundreds to thousands of dollars for and to pay 9$ for a App you are probably going to use every day on your $1.000 iPhone IMHO isn't too much.
Especially since it's a low volume system I can't justify to work on it and invest money into it and then to sell it for peanuts.
And the price has to cover updates as well since there is no update pricing on the App Store. And also customer service. I generally help iPeng users, even though 99% of the issues they come with are that their iPhone is not on WiFi or that LMS is not working correctly for some reason and that's all not App related but I would not feel good to help someone for an hour who just paid $1 for the App. Actually I prefer to have, say, a thousand users who paid 9$ and whom I can support well than 9.000 who paid $1 whom i can not.

If you feel it's too expensive you can use the web interface. I've mostly kept pricing consistent over the last 9 years and I don't think it was the wrong decision, in the end, you always get what you pay for.

All of that said, uptake hasn't been particularly slow for iPeng, it's iOS 11 rollout that's going slower than the years before meaning many people are still updating their iPhones and iPads meaning it's only now that they run into the situation that their old App doesn't work anymore, I want to keep the discount open a little longer to give them a chance to get iPeng at a discount.

pippin
2017-10-02, 00:40
Am I missing something? Is there a solution? I tried uninstalling iPeng 9 from my phone and the re-downloading and re-installing, but still nothing.

Please send me a diagnostics mail from within iPeng, just tap the mail link under "Help" and briefly describe this issue.
I understand you can still control the player using the web interface?

Mnyb
2017-10-02, 01:02
Many other apps may stop function with ios11 so some wait for other app developers to catch up (non squeezebox apps nb ).

I think i wait a cuople of updates this time . No need for the discount for me as it is peanuts compared to 5000 albums of music anf my high end high end hifi rig....

pippin
2017-10-02, 03:34
Many other apps may stop function with ios11 so some wait for other app developers to catch up (non squeezebox apps nb ).

Yes, I suspect that's the reason behind the slow uptake.
I, too, have a couple of apps I'd really miss and I would not have updated didn't I have other devices staying on older OS versions.

usbethjim
2017-10-02, 06:53

I think it's the "undead" music system - it will be hard to kill...

9.00 for an app is too much for you? Unless you're opening cans of cat food for dinner I bet you spend more than that on your daily coffee/tea/beer or other stuff you could skip for a day.

Truly the best 9 bucks I've ever spent on software - except maybe getting LMS for FREE!

Jim

AangoTango
2017-10-03, 06:09
I am happy to report that iPeng is up and running again on my iPhone. Simply unplugging and restarting my RPi player did the trick!

Girth
2017-10-03, 06:22
I've tried every app on every platform. iPeng is by far the best value. Everything I wished I could do in a control app I quite easily can in iPeng.

$9 is a one time purchase, frankly I don't understand how Pippen fits all of the features and a great intuitive interface in this app for $9

pippin
2017-10-13, 12:25
Good news: We will keep the discount on iPeng 9 and iPeng ue open until Sunday, October 15th.

Please read to the end if you are interested in the upgrade bundles.

As you might have noticed, the discount we are giving on our current iPeng Apps on the occasion of the iOS 11 release has been extended and is still running. It was supposed to end on October 1st, but we will now leave it open until Sunday.
The update rates for Appleís current operating system havenít been as fast as in the last few years, so a lot of people only started using the new operating system later.
Also, there is an issue with upgrade bundles that confuses some people. So we decided to extend the offer to get on board the iPeng community at a discount.

Whatís up with the upgrade bundles?

A lot of people have asked questions about the upgrade bundles on certain store fronts.
There are two issues here:

Under iOS 11, the App Store shows a wrong price. There seems to be some issue on the App Store side making our bundles show the full price for both Apps, even if you already have purchased one of the Apps in the bundle. The way upgrade bundles work is that you have a price for purchasing both Apps together, and whatever you already paid for one of the Apps in the bundle will be deducted from the current price. This is often a bit confusing, especially if there have been exchange rate or tax changes. But now the App Store doesnít discount the old payment when showing the price at all, even when you click to purchase.
The App Store actually charges the bundle correctly, meaning that after you confirm the purchase, it will inform you that the bundle is actually cheaper; but you have to take the risk to confirm the purchase (which is non-refundable!) first and hope you havenít made a mistake like choosing the wrong bundle or wrong App Store account. We think this is not really acceptable, but since we have no other way to give upgrade discounts on the App Store, and we canít fix it (after all itís Appleís store), we think the general discount is a proper alternative.
On some store fronts, the upgrade bundles donít show at all. This is because the bundles only show up if the current price of the bundle is cheaper than the individual prices of the contained Apps. Due to the discount on iPeng 9, the two now typically cost the same, but this also depends on how the price translates into local currency on your store front. Since we canít set the price freely but only using Appleís price tiers, we can Neither change nor influence this. Itís also a bit unfortunate because, depending on what you paid for iPeng Classic, the upgrade bundle might actually still be cheaper, the bundles will be back on all store fronts on Monday when the general discount runs out.

wilgartw
2017-10-20, 04:11
Damn it looks like Iíve missed the discounts which is annoying as I need to purchase it 5 times (4 phones and a house iPad on different apple accounts)

I donít seem to be able to find iPeng party.

pippin
2017-10-20, 09:20
Canít you use family sharing? IPeng is eligible. WeĎve extended the discount two times and in the end it ran for a month.

Regarding iPeng Party: still working on that one. It needs a complete re-write, the old codebase, which was based on iPeng Classic just doesnít work with iOS 11 so Iím essentially re-implementing it now with whatís going to be a bit of a testbed for the upcoming iPeng 10 redesign.

But first priority right now is to do another iPeng 9 update in the next two weeks that can act as a temporary solution for iPhone X.

wilgartw
2017-10-20, 11:29
Can’t you use family sharing? IPeng is eligible. We‘ve extended the discount two times and in the end it ran for a month.

Regarding iPeng Party: still working on that one. It needs a complete re-write, the old codebase, which was based on iPeng Classic just doesn’t work with iOS 11 so I’m essentially re-implementing it now with what’s going to be a bit of a testbed for the upcoming iPeng 10 redesign.

But first priority right now is to do another iPeng 9 update in the next two weeks that can act as a temporary solution for iPhone X.

Don’t worry about it, it’ll be worth it to play my music and save me from moving to sonos for a few more months. Family sharing works for families with young kids, but as soon you switch it on the main member (me) would then pay for any films / music the kids at university download.

I penguin party - that is fair enough, although could you add a setting into iPeng9 to disable the play button? Before Halloween?

pippin
2017-10-20, 11:35
Ummm, there is one, just Enable Party Mode in settings. Itís almost like iPeng Party then.

wilgartw
2017-10-20, 11:42
Ummm, there is one, just Enable Party Mode in settings. Itís almost like iPeng Party then.

Fantastic. You have just got a few more sales. Good stuff.

I have noticed that when I group players together I can change the volume individually on the iPad, but can only change them all together on the iPhone. Is that a bug?

pippin
2017-10-20, 11:44
Small iPhone probably? You can show the individual sliders with the toggle button at the top left of the player list

wilgartw
2017-10-20, 11:54
Small iPhone probably? You can show the individual sliders with the toggle button at the top left of the player list

Itís an iPhone 6. If I press the toggle the sliders appear, but they do not respond to anything but a double tap to mute. The master slider responds, just not the individual.

pippin
2017-10-20, 11:56
Hm, that should not be. Did you maybe just enable Party Mode?

wilgartw
2017-10-20, 12:05
Hm, that should not be. Did you maybe just enable Party Mode?

This was before (and after) I enabled party mode.

pippin
2017-10-20, 12:06
Hm, it should really work without Party Mode enabled, I use it all the time and havenít heard any other complaints but Party Mode will disable all volume control.

Could you try to restart the App if it continues with Party Mode disabled?

wilgartw
2017-10-20, 12:14
Hm, it should really work without Party Mode enabled, I use it all the time and havenít heard any other complaints but Party Mode will disable all volume control.

Could you try to restart the App if it continues with Party Mode disabled?

I switched off party mode, closed app, re-opened and the same. I can unsynch and synch my players, and mute, I can pause/play all, and change master volume. Just cannot change individual volumes.

wilgartw
2017-10-20, 12:16
Even if I unsynch all my players I cannot change individual volumes.

pippin
2017-10-20, 12:16
This is weird, you are saying you canít drag the sliders? iOS 11? Do you have any accessibility features enabled on your phone?

wilgartw
2017-10-20, 12:22
This is weird, you are saying you canít drag the sliders? iOS 11? Do you have any accessibility features enabled on your phone?

Ah no, my phone is on ios10. I didnít want to upgrade it until I could see everything was working. My iPad is ios11 and the sliders drag on that. I don,t have any accessibility features enabled on either. My wifeís phone is ios11 so I will test with hers later and let you know.

pippin
2017-10-20, 12:25
Wow. IĎll go test on iOS 10 But this really should not be.

pippin
2017-10-20, 12:46
Ah, I think I can reproduce what you mean.

If you click into one of the player cells then the sliders become unresponsive, you need to very briefly hold the handle to move them around.
Probably a problem I introduced when trying to fix the gesture recognizer precedence issues with iOS 11.

Will try to get this fixed for the next update.

But they _do_ move, it's just a bit complicated.

wilgartw
2017-10-20, 13:24
Yep, that fixes it. To anyone else struggling with this, move your finger in the shape of a heartbeat monitor when using the sliders.

Thanks!!

Jankooo
2017-11-19, 14:19
There is no need for any application if you know how to use web browsers - just login to mysqueezebox.com and select "Remote control".
It is silly to pay if the original one was for free.

wilgartw
2017-11-23, 02:27
There is no need for any application if you know how to use web browsers - just login to mysqueezebox.com and select "Remote control".

I totally disagree. I have only just purchased iPeng, and had to do so 3 times for different iPhones. It is worth the money just for the following functions:
- ability to adjust the volumes individually/grouped
- ability to disable the play button
- the ease of being able to add next / add to end

Mnyb
2017-11-23, 04:57

does not work for a local LMS server just mysb.com .

And i chosed iPeng over the standard remote while it was active it's just so much better

pippin
2018-02-10, 12:06
Today we’ve launched version 9.4 of both iPeng 9 and iPeng ue, and as a headline feature, this update brings you full support for Apple’s latest phone, the iPhone X.

With its new edge-to-edge screen, rounded corners and gesture control, it brings a few challenges to app migration from older phones, both from a design and usability point of view.

iPeng 9.4 takes this into account by presenting itself with some smaller changes to its look on iPhone X and by adapting to the different screen format.

For iPeng 9 and iPeng ue!
This update comes to iPeng 9 and iPeng ue at the same time. It’s the first iPeng version built for iOS 11, which results in some minor design changes, particularly on iPad; generally the look should now be a bit more consistent. Besides that the makeover includes some small improvements like new icons and bug fixes.
One of these is visual support (for now, I'll add more in future versions) for the "Player Groups" plugin.

We are still working on a bigger redesign of iPeng that will modernize the look and feel of the app and in which we plan to design it even more around iPhone X and its new screen. So stay tuned!

Easier Playback Purchase
And for those who found it difficult to buy iPeng’s playback feature in the past, the purchase has become much easier: you can now select the feature directly from the App Store and will then be taken to iPeng which completes the transaction.

https://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/playback_store-420x143.png

As usual: have fun with iPeng!

https://penguinlovesmusic.de/2018/02/10/ipeng-9-4-iphone-x-support/

streifenleopard
2018-04-11, 09:52
Can I download music to my iphone for off-line listening using this app?
The documentation doesn't mention this possibility.

Jursi
2019-05-17, 13:48
Hello!

Am I correct that iPeng party is still unavailable on appstore? I couldn't find it at least. (ios 11)

Just wondering since I am having a party next week and would like to allow my friends to choose songs.

Thanks!

pippin
2019-05-23, 15:05
No, currently it's not back.
I found that the old code just isn't portable to iOS 11 so the plan currently is to re-implement it based on the upcoming (for a while, unfortunately) iPeng redesign.
ETA would be around the release of iOS 13.

If you have the full iPeng, it's party mode works pretty much the same way.