PDA

View Full Version : SrvrPowerCtrl on piCorePlayer

ChipMonk
2017-09-14, 08:59
I have always found the gharris SrvrPowerCtrl plugin to be extremely useful. However, it no longer appears as an option on the main plugin screens and my attempts to link to various repositories has not led to success at automatic installation. I have, in the past, managed to install it manually, by painstaking trial and error, on a few LMS installations but my latest attempts to get it on a new piCorePlayer installation on a Raspberry Pi3 have been unsuccessful, often leading to a complete snarl-up of LMS. Fortunately, SAMBA shares now allow a retrieval of the situation by facilitating the deletion offending files.

However, I see that SrvrPowerCtrl now appears as a forked link to the Ralph Irving github repository. Is it possible to summon an automatic install from there? Adding the following:

h**ps://github.com/ralph-irving/SrvrPowerCtrl/blob/master/install.xml

to the LMS plugin repository list gets me nowhere - not too surprisingly!

If anyone can help with this I'd be most grateful. piCorePlayer has developed so well in recent years that it is now the basis of many of my Squeezebox Players, as well as my back-up and Roaming Squeezebox servers. It would really be good to get SrvrPowerCtrl back on to all the servers again.

Many thanks to the pCP team for their excellent work and, in advance, for any help in resolving this.

Chip

slartibartfast
2017-09-14, 09:25
I have always found the gharris SrvrPowerCtrl plugin to be extremely useful. However, it no longer appears as an option on the main plugin screens and my attempts to link to various repositories has not led to success at automatic installation. I have, in the past, managed to install it manually, by painstaking trial and error, on a few LMS installations but my latest attempts to get it on a new piCorePlayer installation on a Raspberry Pi3 have been unsuccessful, often leading to a complete snarl-up of LMS. Fortunately, SAMBA shares now allow a retrieval of the situation by facilitating the deletion offending files.

However, I see that SrvrPowerCtrl now appears as a forked link to the Ralph Irving github repository. Is it possible to summon an automatic install from there? Adding the following:

to the LMS plugin repository list gets me nowhere - not too surprisingly!

If anyone can help with this I'd be most grateful. piCorePlayer has developed so well in recent years that it is now the basis of many of my Squeezebox Players, as well as my back-up and Roaming Squeezebox servers. It would really be good to get SrvrPowerCtrl back on to all the servers again.

Many thanks to the pCP team for their excellent work and, in advance, for any help in resolving this.

ChipDo you think it is worth the effort to install it on a Pi? The power consumption is so low most leave them running 24/7.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

paul-
2017-09-14, 09:34
A raspberry pi cannot be powered off via software . The only way to power down and startup is the pull the power.

ChipMonk
2017-09-14, 10:05
Do you think it is worth the effort to install it on a Pi? The power consumption is so low most leave them running 24/7.

Yes I do - not for powering off, saving the planet or the many other things it can do, but for a very neat way of rebooting the server or LMS if there is a plugin or playlist update which I want to check out quickly. I can get to SrvrPowerCtrl via any of my controller, smartphone, tablet apps instantly whereas the pCP web interface or SSH reboot is far more tedious.

slartibartfast
2017-09-14, 10:43
Yes I do - not for powering off, saving the planet or the many other things it can do, but for a very neat way of rebooting the server or LMS if there is a plugin or playlist update which I want to check out quickly. I can get to SrvrPowerCtrl via any of my controller, smartphone, tablet apps instantly whereas the pCP web interface or SSH reboot is far more tedious.Fair enough, I used to use it use it like that on my old squeezeplug as there was no easy way to restart the server after a plugin update.

Roland0
2017-09-14, 13:21
I have always found the gharris SrvrPowerCtrl plugin to be extremely useful.

That's not a plugin repository description, but the plugin's install description.

Instead:

Download the plugin as a zip (https://github.com/gharris999/SrvrPowerCtrl/archive/master.zip)
Unzip it to your LMS's plugin directory (see WebUI>Settings>Information for exact loacation)
Restart

Alternatively, you can use an app (e.g. SSH button (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pd7l.sshbutton&hl=de)) to quickly restart/shutdown LMS/the Pi

ChipMonk
2017-09-15, 01:14
Instead:

Download the plugin as a zip (https://github.com/gharris999/SrvrPowerCtrl/archive/master.zip)
Unzip it to your LMS's plugin directory (see WebUI>Settings>Information for exact loacation)
Restart

Sadly, for this particular plugin, it's not as simple as that. If it were I wouldn't be making this request. After a couple of server restarts the files simply disappear. I did once find a way around this by editing a few configuration files and/or running a few .sh files in the scripts folder, but I worked it out, a considerable time ago, by a fairly random process of trial and error and not properly documented. I've obviously missed something this time. I must be getting old, and/or something vital is missing in the pCP cut-down Linux.

The button is a neat idea but I really want something that fully integrates into all connected SB player/controller interfaces. I'm amazed that there isn't a very basic plugin that simply facilitates Squeezebox server restart and/or full server reboot from controllers, apps and players but, to my knowledge, SrvrPowerCtrl is the only one to do this.

edwin2006
2017-09-15, 01:45
Perhaps serverassistant is a solution?

slartibartfast
2017-09-15, 02:19
Sadly, for this particular plugin, it's not as simple as that. If it were I wouldn't be making this request. After a couple of server restarts the files simply disappear. I did once find a way around this by editing a few configuration files and/or running a few .sh files in the scripts folder, but I worked it out, a considerable time ago, by a fairly random process of trial and error and not properly documented. I've obviously missed something this time. I must be getting old, and/or something vital is missing in the pCP cut-down Linux.

The button is a neat idea but I really want something that fully integrates into all connected SB player/controller interfaces. I'm amazed that there isn't a very basic plugin that simply facilitates Squeezebox server restart and/or full server reboot from controllers, apps and players but, to my knowledge, SrvrPowerCtrl is the only one to do this.Have a look at post 134 in this thread. Seems to be a similar problem.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=107656

ChipMonk
2017-09-15, 02:30
Have a look at post 134 in this thread. Seems to be a similar problem.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=107656

Thanks for that - now that looks promising! Can't try it right now but will have a look at this over the weekend.

Many thanks for your assistance - I'll add this tip to my Hitchhikers Guide to the SB Universe!

gegen
2018-07-26, 09:05
Thanks for that - now that looks promising! Can't try it right now but will have a look at this over the weekend.

Many thanks for your assistance - I'll add this tip to my Hitchhikers Guide to the SB Universe!

Hi Chipmunk,

Did you ever get SrvrPowerCtrl working on piCorePlayer? I managed to install it on LMS within piCorePlayer but failed dismally at the setup stage! :eek: