PDA

View Full Version : Install Squeezeplay on RPi3 with full OS, not just picore or max2play?

jmang
2017-08-10, 22:04
I have a few questions about installing Squeezeplay on a RPi3. I found Ralph's builds on Sourceforge with the instructions for installing on Linux 32 and 64 bit x86 systems, but not Debian/Raspian. I've also seen quite a bit of info about installing picore and max2play, but not about how to install Squeezeplay on RPi in a full Raspian (complete with XWindows) environment. So here goes:

Does Squeezeplay run inside a terminal window in X, or does it grab the whole screen? Or does it simply not work in the full OS with X environment?
Assuming that Squeezeplay plays nice in it, where can I find installation instructions for installing Squeezeplay in the RPi3/Raspian/X environment, and which build, squeezeplay-fb_7.8.0~984_armel.deb or squeezeplay-fb_7.8.0~984_armhf.deb, is compatible with Raspian?
I've already installed Squeezelite on the RPi, must I uninstall it before installing Squeezeplay, or can I just leave it?
I understand that the original Slim Devices SB architecture employs a thin client design where the application "smarts" are actually in the server, LMS. Is the architecture also modular, where Squeezeplay is just another "dumb" user front end that occupies essentially the same position as the Web page LMS user interface? If so, is the same Squeezelite module used with both Squeezeplay and the web UI?
Is there any extant documentation available on any of the above, and where can it be found?

Thanks for any clarity you can provide to reduce my ignorance.

Man in a van
2017-08-11, 01:12
A quick google came up with this from 2015

It's for Wheezy but may well apply for Jessie, note the warning that it sometimes hangs.

http://www.easysqueezebox.com/index.php/projects/raspberry-pi-raspbian-squeezeplay/

Roland0
2017-08-11, 07:25
I found Ralph's builds on Sourceforge with the instructions for installing on Linux 32 and 64 bit x86 systems, but not Debian/Raspian.
installation is documented on the download page (https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/squeezeplay/linux/), just substitute the rpi package

Does Squeezeplay run inside a terminal window in X, or does it grab the whole screen? Or does it simply not work in the full OS with X environment?
From the filenames, I'd guess
squeezeplay-fb (fb=framebuffer): no X (i.e. don't start X, run it from the linux console)
squeezeplay: runs in X

Assuming that Squeezeplay plays nice in it, where can I find installation instructions for installing Squeezeplay in the RPi3/Raspian/X environment, and which build, squeezeplay-fb_7.8.0~984_armel.deb or squeezeplay-fb_7.8.0~984_armhf.deb, is compatible with Raspian?
Raspian = armhf

I've already installed Squeezelite on the RPi, must I uninstall it before installing Squeezeplay
No, but don't run them at the same time

I understand that the original Slim Devices SB architecture employs a thin client design where the application "smarts" are actually in the server, LMS. Is the architecture also modular, where Squeezeplay is just another "dumb" user front end that occupies essentially the same position as the Web page LMS user interface? If so, is the same Squeezelite module used with both Squeezeplay and the web UI?
Squeezeplay = player + UI
Jivelite = UI (i.e. Squeezeplay without the player)
Squeezelite = player

jmang
2017-08-11, 10:38
Man, thanks, I saw the more than 2 year old doc you suggested. I was hoping to find something more recent.

jmang
2017-08-11, 10:55
Roland0, thanks for the enlightening response. Your last answer confirms what I suspected: I can get the equivalent of Squeezeplay by just installing Jivelite since I already have Sqeezelite up and running.

ralphy
2017-08-11, 12:50
My squeezeplay-fb builds are only for the linux frame buffer (fb) , they do not include X11 support.

I've uploaded squeezeplay 7.8.0r996 debian package (https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/squeezeplay/linux/) for armhf with X11 support.

sudo dpkg -i squeezeplay_7.8.0~996_armhf.deb

After installing execute this command from a terminal window.

sudo chmod u+s /opt/squeezeplay/bin/jive_alsa

Start using the script /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh If you want to enable your screensaver, uncomment export SDL_VIDEO_ALLOW_SCREENSAVER=1 in the script.

jmang
2017-08-12, 23:54
Ralphy,

Thank you very much for the new build. I've installed it, and the UI does start and I can navigate thru the menus. However, I have one question: how do I get the player to output thru my Hifiberry DAC?

ralphy
2017-08-13, 09:22
Ralphy,

Thank you very much for the new build. I've installed it, and the UI does start and I can navigate thru the menus. However, I have one question: how do I get the player to output thru my Hifiberry DAC?

Run aplay -l to find the alsa device name. I'm using an allo dac in my example as I don't have a hifiberry dac installed ATM.

$ aplay -l | grep card
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
card 1: sndallodigione [snd_allo_digione], device 0: Allo DigiOne HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 []

Then update the ALSA section in /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh to use the hifiberry. I'd also suggest setting USEALSASAMPLESIZE to zero to autodetect the sample size supported by the hifiberry dac instead of forcing default 16 bit.

# ALSA
#
# Supported sample sizes 0=autodetect, default=16
# "<0|16|24|24_3|32>"
#
export USEALSASAMPLESIZE=0
export USEALSADEVICE=hw:CARD=sndallodigione
export USEALSACAPTURE=hw:CARD=sndallodigione

Quit squeezeplay and start it again using /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh

jmang
2017-08-13, 22:28
Great! That worked.

But I'm still not quite where I want to be. Apparently with Squeezeplay the player is tightly coupled with the UI. What I would like is to have the player decoupled and running in background like Squeezelite so that I could control it from either the UI if Jive is running or the LMS Web page whether Jive is running or not. I don't want the player to exit when Jive quits. Can this be accomplished with the current package?

Also, are there shortcut keys for the Jive UI? If so, where documented?

Thanks again.

karlek
2017-08-14, 01:37
Also, are there shortcut keys for the Jive UI? If so, where documented?

Thanks again.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlay