PDA

View Full Version : PiCorePlayer - As a LMS server (See how-to here - work in progress)???

romanempire
2017-08-02, 10:46
Hi all.

Firstly can I say what a brilliant piece of software piCorePlayer is. Its allowed me to revive and extend the Logitech Squeezebox items I'd bought for my girlfriend and give her multi-room music without throwing away good hardware.

The setup so far is a couple of RPi's (with piCorePlayer) as players along with a Duet all on the wired network. The LMS is currently running on my laptop while I test the player performance. So far so good ;) Future plans include upgrading the Pi's with DAC's and adding a touch screen to the kitchen Pi.

For now I want migrate the LMS away from my laptop as its not always available. There is a NAS (QNAP TS-210) available but because LMS is not supported on it and Container Station is not available on this model I'm going to run LMS on a dedicated Pi and just use the NAS for storage. So the point of my post is to clarify the configuration which, despite searching and a lot of reading, I can't find anything definitive (probably buried deep in a long thread :confused: ).

So the steps would be:-

1. Download piCorePlayer, burn it to a SD-card.
2. Insert the SD-card a LAN cable and apply power.
3. Connect to management webpage.
4. Optional - set static IP (from 'Main Page' in Beta mode).
5. Optional - set host name (from 'Tweaks' page).
6. Setup dedicated share on NAS

(For ease I could give full access to everyone or guest but with my BOFH head on I'd want to restrict that. In theory I could make the folder read-only but that would stop me saving the Cache and Preferences there to reduce wear on the SD card. So probably a specially created account with read/write to that share only.)

7. Install and Enable additional FileSystems (from 'LMS' page in Advanced mode). I think this is required so LMS can use the NAS storage.
8. Reboot.
9. Setup Network Disk Mount (from 'LMS' page in Advanced mode). Use 'CIFS' share type with relevant account details.
'Share Name' is what you called the share when you created it on the NAS.

'Mount Point' is how pCP refers to the resource?

Tick the 'Enabled' checkbox

*** This is where its not working. I keep getting a disk mount error with the offer to reboot. ***

10. Reboot.

11. Click 'Configure LMS' button on LMS page to open LMS management page.

Once I've got this sorted I'll update this post with the correct steps to help others (hence the title :) ).

Thanks,

Paul

d6jg
2017-08-02, 12:54
Please take this as constructive criticism
3. How do you find the IP address? There are lots of ways. Many that don't require a monitor.
4. For a Server it should always be a static (or reserved) IP and it should always be wired. Ok it will work with a dhcp address and sometimes it will work wirelessly but neither is advised or indeed good practise.
9. Possible fix. Mounting a NAS folder (Linux) requires exactly the right syntax e.g Music is not the same as music in Linux terms.

Man in a van
2017-08-02, 13:52
Hi all.

despite searching and a lot of reading, I can't find anything definitive (probably buried deep in a long thread :confused: ).

So the steps would be:-

1. Download piCorePlayer, burn it to a SD-card.
2. Insert the SD-card a LAN cable and apply power.
3. Connect to management webpage.
4. Optional - set static IP (from 'Main Page' in Beta mode).
5. Optional - set host name (from 'Tweaks' page).
6. Setup dedicated share on NAS

7. Install and Enable additional FileSystems (from 'LMS' page in Advanced mode). I think this is required so LMS can use the NAS storage.
8. Reboot.
9. Setup Network Disk Mount (from 'LMS' page in Advanced mode). Use 'CIFS' share type with relevant account details.
'Share Name' is what you called the share when you created it on the NAS.

'Mount Point' is how pCP refers to the resource?

Tick the 'Enabled' checkbox

*** This is where its not working. I keep getting a disk mount error with the offer to reboot. ***

Paul

Well, I'm not hurt at all

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107755-A-simple-how-to-for-quot-Spotty-quot-and-pCP

Install and Enable additional FileSystems (from 'LMS' page in Advanced mode). I think this is required so LMS can use the NAS storage.

On my Qnap TS121 .ext4 is the default format, so this step is not required.

Setup Network Disk Mount (from 'LMS' page in Advanced mode). Use 'CIFS' share type with relevant account details.

Again, my default is NFS, so that is what I use.

MOUNT POINT:
Call this whatever you like, you will see in under..

( When mounted go to the LMS web gui Settings page>Basic Settings>Media Folders>Browse and the share name should be under "mnt".......)

IP ADDRESS:
of the NAS obviously

SHARE NAME:
My music file on the nas is is called Squeezebox

SHARE TYPE:
NFS

USERNAME AND PASSWORD:
are for the NAS obviously

tick the enable box and tick
SET NET MOUNT.

Ronnie

d6jg
2017-08-02, 14:11
Ronnie
A tip for you.
I am assuming you use Windows.
Try Greenshot - open source - as an alternative screen grabbing tool. It is much better than Snipping Tool or plain old print screen. When you try it make sure you change "destination" in options or prefs to be the Image Editor. You will find that it has very powerful annotation tools for things like hiding passwords and drawing boxes and arrows.
As always only download from the developers site and scan for viruses.

Man in a van
2017-08-03, 02:15
Ronnie
A tip for you.
Try Greenshot - open source - as an alternative screen grabbing tool. It is much better than Snipping Tool or plain old print screen. When you try it make sure you change "destination" in options or prefs to be the Image Editor. You will find that it has very powerful annotation tools for things like hiding passwords and drawing boxes and arrows.

Yep, I think Pinkdot or some else recommended Greenshot to me before, and kidstypike recommende something else.

I also have an Imac, but hardly switch it on.

My problem is lack of time, so it is easier to use default, simple stuff, which is me all over (default and simple, that is :)).

Ronnie

edwin2006
2017-08-03, 06:20
And if short keys don't "stick" just edit the ini file in c:\users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Greenshot

romanempire
2017-08-03, 16:32
I think I solved the disk error issue which appears to be a problem with the settings (or maybe defaults) on the QNAP.

In 'Control Panel' on the QNAP select 'Shared Folders' under 'Privilege Settings'.

Select 'Edit Shared Folder Permissions'.

In 'Select permission type:' dropdown list select 'NFS host access'.

(On my NAS the access right was set to 'Deny Access'.)

Change 'Access right:' to 'No limit'.

For additional security specify the LMS IP address under 'Allowed IP Address or Domain Name'.

Reboot LMS/piCorePlayer.

I'm going to do a bit more experimenting. I also want to respond to some of your contributions but I need to get to bed :confused: so I'll do that later.

Paul

Jeff07971
2017-08-05, 06:57
Ronnie
A tip for you.

Thanks for the tip about Greenshot, much more usefull than "prtscn"

Jeff