PDA

View Full Version : Radio dead after power outage

pputzer
2017-08-01, 08:36
My trusty kitchen radio (actually a UE I got cheap when the line was shut down, but flashed back to the Squeezebox firmware) seems to have died on me. As it happened after a power outage, I assumed it was a dead power supply (in conjunction with a less than functional battery). Unfortunately, neither removing the battery nor buying a new power supply will get the radio to turn on.

I already tried pressing "+" when plugging in the power cord or trying to switch it on for a factory reset (both via the remote and the buttons on the radio body). Is there anything else to try? I do own a multimeter and a soldering iron, but I'm not an electronics expert. Any known "common defects" to look for?

drmatt
2017-08-01, 11:38
Usually the power inlet socket fails, so honestly it sounds stupid but waggle the damn thing around a bit. I'd have hoped they would fix that by the time the last UEs were being sold but I doubt it.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk

pputzer
2017-08-02, 02:54
Usually the power inlet socket fails, so honestly it sounds stupid but waggle the damn thing around a bit. I'd have hoped they would fix that by the time the last UEs were being sold but I doubt it.

Any way to fix that (re-solder the connection)?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

pputzer
2017-08-02, 10:16
I've opened up the radio and it's not the power jack after all. The 18 V get through fine, so there has to be a fried component on the board itself. Just looking things over, I don't see anything obviously gone, but that of course does not mean much. It seems I'll be in the market for a new (old) unit.

drmatt
2017-08-02, 11:01
Yes, I have to say, without having actually tested it, my feeling was that it didn't correctly *sense* that power had been connected, it wasn't that the connector was that bad it didn't get any juice through.

Perhaps SSH in and add a from job to kick the power management code every five minutes...? No idea how it's implemented. It's possible the issue is in the motherboard too obviously.

Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk

slartibartfast
2017-08-02, 11:15
I've opened up the radio and it's not the power jack after all. The 18 V get through fine, so there has to be a fried component on the board itself. Just looking things over, I don't see anything obviously gone, but that of course does not mean much. It seems I'll be in the market for a new (old) unit.Did you say it didn't work with battery power as well?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

pputzer
2017-08-02, 13:19
Did you say it didn't work with battery power as well?

I don't know if the battery is still holding a charge or not. The radio does not switch on, regardless of whether the battery is connected or not.

slartibartfast
2017-08-02, 13:27
I don't know if the battery is still holding a charge or not. The radio does not switch on, regardless of whether the battery is connected or not.

Gesendet von iPhone mit TapatalkYou could try removing and inserting the power connector a few times. Sometimes my Radios will not charge when the power connector is inserted but after a few insertions they will.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

pputzer
2017-08-02, 13:31
You could try removing and inserting the power connector a few times. Sometimes my Radios will not charge when the power connector is inserted but after a few insertions they will.

I already tried that.

KeBul
2017-08-03, 12:55
Have a quick read of this thread...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95865-Inside-Squeezebox-Radio

Seems there's a few dead ones about and forum member Euleken post some good info on fixing/troubleshooting - but only for the brave or well experienced and equipped :D

Kev

pputzer
2017-08-03, 14:27
Have a quick read of this thread...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95865-Inside-Squeezebox-Radio

Seems there's a few dead ones about and forum member Euleken post some good info on fixing/troubleshooting - but only for the brave or well experienced and equipped :D

Kev

I've seen it. Way over my head, though.