PDA

View Full Version : Faulty SB Classic v3

timandhaylea
2017-07-31, 15:52
Hi,

I have a faulty SB classic v3 (pre Logitech branding)

Iím getting no display, but I do get a light from the TOSlink port and there does seem to be activity on the ethernet port.

I have tried removing the wireless card, but that hasnít helped.

I havenít found any other concrete advice Ė is there anything else I should try? is there anywhere (UK based) that offers a repair service? Or should I just list it on eBay as faulty and try to source a replacement?

SlimChances
2017-07-31, 16:28
Hi,

Iím getting no display, but I do get a light from the TOSlink port and there does seem to be activity on the ethernet port.

I havenít found any other concrete advice Ė is there anything else I should try? is there anywhere (UK based) that offers a repair service? Or should I just list it on eBay as faulty and try to source a replacement?
Have you tried factory or Xlink resets
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_La st_FW

tcutting
2017-07-31, 18:48
Hi,

Do you have a compatible power supply you could try? (For example, do you have another SB3?). The power supplies (aka "wall warts") are a weak link (along with the wireless cards, which you've already tried) - I believe there are cases where the optical port shows light, but other aspects of the unit don't work due to weak/degraded power supply.
Was this SB3 ever connected to LMS? If so, can LMS "see" it, even though the display isn't working?

timandhaylea
2017-08-01, 02:19
Thanks for the advice:

SlimChances - Yes, I have tried both a factory reset and a Xlink reset

tcutting - Tested with a known good PSU from my other SB3. It was on LMS, but no longer shows in there, and also does not show up on my network when scanned, or show up in the arp table on the server.

epoch1970
2017-08-01, 05:41
You can also try to rotate/wiggle the DC barrel plug; I think I've seen reports of rust/bad contacts in the power receptacle.
I would also examine the board for possible cold solder points or scorch marks.
The wifi card sits in a daughter board. Make sure the board's large square connector is well seated, too.

I have one SB3 that died some time ago (red light, reboots continuously, I could hear that by plugging earphones IIRC), the screen has what seems to be abnormal burn/fumes traces.

User JoeMuc2009 is sort of a SB hardware guru. He knows the SB Boom but I think also the SB3. He's in Germany.

timandhaylea
2017-08-01, 06:34
No signs of bad joints or scorch marks on the board that I can see.

Daughter board has been removed & re-seated.

Didn't think of having anything plugged into the audio outputs (doh!), so having plugged some headphones in, I can hear a noise when it is powered on and when it is powered off, but no actual noise.

epoch1970
2017-08-01, 07:20
Didn't think of having anything plugged into the audio outputs (doh!), so having plugged some headphones in, I can hear a noise when it is powered on and when it is powered off, but no actual noise.
So I guess it is somewhat booting, or not at all? I *think* what I was hearing in my case was a regular "tick" while the machine was powered-on.

timandhaylea
2017-08-01, 09:10
When I turn it on there is one click on each channel and when I turn it off there is a small burst of very quiet white noise.

Other than the lack of seeing anything on the network, I would guess it is booting and it's just the display that has failed - but without it showing on the network, I'm not sure.

reverber
2017-08-01, 10:49
Tis happened to me a while back and IIRC, I had to reseat the display. I think it is mounted on a card that connects to the main board through a header.

Good luck.

Cody

arlenm
2017-08-01, 13:58
Hi,

You might find some ideas here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?101236-Lightning-damage-to-Squeezebox-3-repaired!

timandhaylea
2017-08-02, 08:45
Thanks arlenm, I hadn't found that thread previously.

I have checked the voltages that I can, but I am unsure of a couple of the points listed in the thread:

Circular via next to the large capacitors (5v) - Not sure where this is
Metal tab of the voltage regulator U18 (3.3v) - 3.34v
C49 side of the inductor L4 (1.2v) - 1.22v
The via next to the right side of the ceramic cap (14.8v) - Not sure where this is
Anode supply for the VFD, right side of R51 (56v) - 56.6v
(correct voltages in brackets)

I have attached an annotated image of the SB3 circuit board to help anyone else that comes this way - if anyone can advise on the couple of points that I am not sure of, I'll update the image accordingly.

So no problems with the voltages that I have checked so far ...