PDA

View Full Version : piCorePlayer + LMS + players sync = music stops after > 10s

TroLoo
2017-07-31, 02:13
Hello Everyone,

I have a strange issue with piCorePlayer with LMS server. Whenever I sync 2 players together, my music stops playing after random amount of time, usually it is about 15 seconds. It just stops. It doesn't matter wether it is a radio run on LMS, spotty music or even AirPlay stream to one of the players. I never run on such issue with Max2Play release... so it has to be piCorePlayer internal issue.

My config is as follows:
- RPi3 + HiFiBerry Amp+
- piCorePlayer (newest version, same issue observed on 2 versions back as well)

Another piCorePlayer as Squeezelite device, similar config - RPi3 + HiFiBerry Amp+.

The problem has to be somewhere around LMS server... don't know where exactly. Without syncing to another player all works great.

Any help appreciated, if you can hint me where to look...

TroLoo

Man in a van
2017-07-31, 02:51
Running pCP 3.21 Normal with LMS v.7.9.1 on a rpi3b

Synced a Boom and a Radio.

Streamed a radio station, no problem, switched to Spotty, also no problems.

Will let them run for a while.

I think your set-up is a little different with the amps included (that's just my gut feeling, no experience with them at all).

Ronnie

Edit: if you have the LMS on one of the piCorePlayers, can you install it on a seperate device and try just using the pi as players only?

TroLoo
2017-08-01, 05:32
Edit: if you have the LMS on one of the piCorePlayers, can you install it on a seperate device and try just using the pi as players only?

Ronnie, great suggestion - that's exactly what I'll try to do in the evening. I have a spare RPi2 that I could use for this purpose, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your support.

edwin2006
2017-08-01, 06:07
Running a pi3 with pcp 3.20 solo for LMS 7.9.1. Connected a boom, radio and SB2 in sync foor days, no problem.

bpa
2017-08-01, 06:34
I have a strange issue with piCorePlayer with LMS server. Whenever I sync 2 players together, my music stops playing after random amount of time, usually it is about 15 seconds. It just stops. It doesn't matter wether it is a radio run on LMS, spotty music or even AirPlay stream to one of the players. I never run on such issue with Max2Play release... so it has to be piCorePlayer internal issue.

When players are synced then LMS will stream data to seach player until buffer reaches a "level" - there is no time constraint on this initial fill ( at a guess it is Flac for 15 secs). Then LMS will tell each player to start playing. As audio is played, LMS will be requiee to "top" up each player in turn and make sure eachplayer is in sync. If LMS cannot top up each player in time and the buffer runs out - playing will stop. It "feels" like LMS cannot top up the buffer to one or more of the player - this can be due to network issues (e./g. different network drivers/setting) or extra processing on the LMS possibly due to transcoding if buffer is being filled with Flac audio.

Have you checked whether the LMS setting of the max2play and the PCP are identical - especially in the the area of "File Types" ?

Jeff07971
2017-08-01, 06:59
As bpa said:

this can be due to network issues

Are any/all wired/wireless ?

TroLoo
2017-08-02, 13:57
As bpa said:
Are any/all wired/wireless ?

Sure - all of them are wireless. But is shouldn't be an issue, my WiFi is stable as rock for one thing, the other is that this error was repeatable and also very expectable (15 seconds more or less and music stops).

From other side - max2play was also wireless and no such problems.

For now I've set up LMS server separately on my RPi2, didn't have too much time to test but it works fine for now (all players wireless, LMS also wireless). We'll see how it goes, I don't mind dedicating one device for LMS (seems like a waste of resources but if it saves my time on debugging - I'm fine with it).

I'll let you know the result after using this setup for week or more.

d6jg
2017-08-02, 14:23
I have 3 pCP Pi's in a sync group. I get a bit of drift but no drop outs. 2 of the Pi's have HAT DACs and the thirdhas a Touchscreen and USB DAC.
I did try the third Pi as an LMS server but it was iffy. I put it down to the LAN on that Pi being affected by the USB DAC. The LAN and USB still share the same bus on a Pi3. It is after all hardware that costs 2/6 (who remembers that ?).
I moved LMS to a dedicated pCP Pi3 and all is well. Almost. I do a lot of remote streaming via VPN but even after I realised I had to install lame I still get issues when I am streaming remotely. Tracks finishing a few sounds early and starting a few seconds in that sort of thing.

bpa
2017-08-02, 15:00
Sure - all of them are wireless. But is shouldn't be an issue, my WiFi is stable as rock for one thing, the other is that this error was repeatable and also very expectable (15 seconds more or less and music stops).

As expected that will be the size of the initial fill of the player buffer.

The problem is not LMS per-se as there is no difference in code executred by max2play and pcp - the differences must be elsewhere.

Are the LMS settings different between max2play and pcp ?
Network issues are still possible if for example drivers are different - have you checked whether the same drivers are being used for max2play and pcp ?

koldso
2019-04-29, 13:54
For now I've set up LMS server separately on my RPi2, didn't have too much time to test but it works fine for now (all players wireless, LMS also wireless). We'll see how it goes, I don't mind dedicating one device for LMS (seems like a waste of resources but if it saves my time on debugging - I'm fine with it).

I'll let you know the result after using this setup for week or more.

I have similar setup with LMS on one of my piCorePlayers (RPi 3)... and similar sync-problem.

TrooLoo, did it work for you to move LMS to separate machine?

koldso
2019-05-06, 03:38
Setup (2 x RPi3):

A: LMS + piCorePlayer
B: solo piCorePlayer
Music files on NAS

Behaviours:
1) Sync B to A: Sync error occurs within first minute
2) Sync A to B: No sync error occurs (within 20+ tracks)

So syncing from LMS+player to solo player seems to fix problem.

Open question: Why does sync-direction fix sync-problem?

Disclaimer: I have not tested thoroughly, I will report back if fix keeps working over the next weeks.

msg
2019-05-19, 09:06
I seem to have just started having this problem as well. Seems to be isolated to Spotty, and not any of the other services so far. Been going on for a few weeks for me.

The time-to-issue changes. Sometimes it's about 10 seconds or so right in the beginning of a session. Other times slightly less, other times slightly more.
At other times, I notice the music is stopped after a long period of play, like, if I come back in after some time away, and have left the system playing.
I look at the LMS control on the computer, and it shows the track progress bar and the time advancing, then drops back, advances again, then drops back.
I think I've seen on one of the Squeezebox players, "Waiting for sync".
I am using a combination of Squeezebox players, piCorePlayer, and LMS running on a home PC.
Players are Wifi connected with 95% or better signal strength.
I've tried the unsynch-resynch trick, as that has helped hiccups in the past, but not in this case this time.
I seem to be able to correct the issue by powering down one of the SBTs - the same one. If I bring it back in to a playing stream, the stream will stop again at some point.

VERSIONS
Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1557815622

Player Model: SqueezeLite
Player Type: squeezelite
Firmware: v1.9.0-1121-pCP

Player Model: Squeezebox Touch
Player Type: fab4
Firmware: 7.8.0-r16754

Edit: add video

https://youtu.be/5JOgyPK7WzY

Edit: add update
It just happened again, so it's not tied to that one player.
Turned off another Squeezebox player in the sync list and restarted the track, and it's playing again.

d6jg
2019-05-20, 10:28
I seem to have just started having this problem as well. Seems to be isolated to Spotty, and not any of the other services so far. Been going on for a few weeks for me.

The time-to-issue changes. Sometimes it's about 10 seconds or so right in the beginning of a session. Other times slightly less, other times slightly more.
At other times, I notice the music is stopped after a long period of play, like, if I come back in after some time away, and have left the system playing.
I look at the LMS control on the computer, and it shows the track progress bar and the time advancing, then drops back, advances again, then drops back.
I think I've seen on one of the Squeezebox players, "Waiting for sync".
I am using a combination of Squeezebox players, piCorePlayer, and LMS running on a home PC.
Players are Wifi connected with 95% or better signal strength.
I've tried the unsynch-resynch trick, as that has helped hiccups in the past, but not in this case this time.
I seem to be able to correct the issue by powering down one of the SBTs - the same one. If I bring it back in to a playing stream, the stream will stop again at some point.

VERSIONS
Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - 1557815622

Player Model: SqueezeLite
Player Type: squeezelite
Firmware: v1.9.0-1121-pCP

Player Model: Squeezebox Touch
Player Type: fab4
Firmware: 7.8.0-r16754

Edit: add video

https://youtu.be/5JOgyPK7WzY

Edit: add update
It just happened again, so it's not tied to that one player.
Turned off another Squeezebox player in the sync list and restarted the track, and it's playing again.

A recent Spotty update added direct Ogg streaming. Not all player types will accept Ogg with the result that LMS will transcode accordingly.
Iirc some people reported issues with pCP and Ogg.
You can sync mixed player types but Iím not sure what happens when transcoding is required for one player or whether a sync group gets the lowest common transcoded codec? If itís the former it must have some detrimental effect.

paul-
2019-05-20, 12:59
It affects other devices as well, we've not got to the bottom as to what it doesn't like about OGG, it's best to just disable ogg in spotty.,