PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried piCorePlayer with a MAX98357A?

IanH99
2017-07-19, 10:20
This is an I2S DAC/amplifier used in the Pimoroni speaker pHAT and some adafruit boards
A redundant surround speaker with a pi zero w and one of these could make a very easy portable squeezebox.
piCorePlayer works very well on my existing pi system and the easy on/off would help save battery power.

Ian H

strebor56
2017-07-23, 08:19
This is an I2S DAC/amplifier used in the Pimoroni speaker pHAT and some adafruit boards
A redundant surround speaker with a pi zero w and one of these could make a very easy portable squeezebox.
piCorePlayer works very well on my existing pi system and the easy on/off would help save battery power.

Ian H
Yes I have had it running on Rasbian Jessie driving a 3" speaker and it works very well install via the Pimoroni script.
I have tried to get the phat going with piCore / piCoreplayer but have come to a dead end at the moment.

A problem with Jessie is that I have no way of shutting the player down, it's portable and running from a geekworm ups hat, the power button for this is just that, no OS shutdown. Tinycore would be great here but i just can't get it to work.

strebor56
2017-07-23, 09:07
Working; piCoreplayer 3.21 Audio,Hifiberry zero dac selected, Geekworm UPS hat, Visaton FRS8M 3" speaker, 125mm PVC 45deg elbow soil pipe as cabinet.
I wanted to call it Pootube but management veto, so it's bluetube on the network!

Greg Erskine
2017-07-23, 15:47
Photo?

strebor56
2017-07-23, 23:58
Photo?

Greg Erskine
2017-07-24, 00:39
Cool. :) It really is a blue tube!

IanH99
2017-07-24, 04:09
Working; piCoreplayer 3.21 Audio,Hifiberry zero dac selected, Geekworm UPS hat, Visaton FRS8M 3" speaker, 125mm PVC 45deg elbow soil pipe as cabinet.
I wanted to call it Pootube but management veto, so it's bluetube on the network!

Thanks, and it is probably best to agree with the management ;)
And the photo looks much better than the description
I'm hoping to hide everything inside a small speaker enclosure, so no one will see my dodgy DIY skills

Ian H

M-H
2017-12-05, 07:03
Hi all,

I discovered the Phat Beat from Pimoroni, and it has 2 of these dac/amps.
Would it be safe to assume this board is also compatible with picoreplayer as it is driven through the almost generic Hifiberry zero dac driver ?

This Phat Beat is stereo, and uses 2 separate dacs, any problems to be expected from that ?

Regards , M-H

KeBul
2017-12-09, 05:17

Superb - looks good in the picture, you should be able to get a PVC waste blanking plate or plug to use instead of the wooden speaker mount.

Also you should definitely go with pootube - really made me laugh and so apt!

Kev

M-H
2017-12-26, 16:11
As an answer to my own question: Yes it works and outputs stereo at modest power levels

The "phat beat" setup in PCP is simple ;
1) Verify the switch on the board is set to stereo ( icon with 2 speakers ) and connect it to you pi ( zero )
2) Select generic /simple Ti5102 DAC on the squeezelite settings page
3) enjoy.

To minimise soldering look here https://pinout.xyz/pinout/phat_beat
Solder at least 1 ground pin.

Remember the buttons and leds are not supported in stock PCP , but we will find a way to do so.

Greetz M-H