PDA

View Full Version : quick summary of 6.0 changes?



Jeff Shanholtz
2004-12-31, 15:30
I occasionally use nightlies and now that I have a "collection" (slimp3 and
a brand new sb), I'm curious about 6.0. Can anyone give a brief list of
significant changes in the 6.0 nightlies?

kdf
2004-12-31, 16:57
Quoting Jeff Shanholtz <jeffsubs (AT) shanholtz (DOT) com>:

> I occasionally use nightlies and now that I have a "collection" (slimp3 and
> a brand new sb), I'm curious about 6.0. Can anyone give a brief list of
> significant changes in the 6.0 nightlies?
>

the main change is SQL.
secondary change is musicmagic integration

eventual plans include:
support for multiple/external data sources.
support for browse and filter based on teh SQL backend.
musicmagic integration via datastores

cheers,
kdf

Dan Sully
2004-12-31, 17:35
* kdf shaped the electrons to say...

>> I occasionally use nightlies and now that I have a "collection" (slimp3 and
>> a brand new sb), I'm curious about 6.0. Can anyone give a brief list of
>> significant changes in the 6.0 nightlies?
>
>the main change is SQL.

To be a little more correct - a built in RDBMS, SQL is just the query language.

>secondary change is musicmagic integration

6.0/CVS trunk also supports UTF-8 fully now, and has a Japanese web UI translation. (Thanks Ken!)

-D
--
<dr.pox> does whistling in the dark make me go blind faster?

Jeffrey Gordon
2004-12-31, 19:27
Dan Sully wrote:

> * kdf shaped the electrons to say...
>
>>> I occasionally use nightlies and now that I have a "collection"
>>> (slimp3 and
>>> a brand new sb), I'm curious about 6.0. Can anyone give a brief list of
>>> significant changes in the 6.0 nightlies?
>>
>>
>> the main change is SQL.
>
>
> To be a little more correct - a built in RDBMS, SQL is just the query
> language.
>
>> secondary change is musicmagic integration
>
>
> 6.0/CVS trunk also supports UTF-8 fully now, and has a Japanese web UI
> translation. (Thanks Ken!)
>
> -D

And for those of you on the list who do not gather what a
RDBMS(Relational Database Management System) is an can do for
Slimserver. It will greatly simplify the way we can access the data
stored of ALL our music. Right now without it some searches and browse
bys are not really possible because it is difficult to get to the data
in such a way.

Complex searches like what can be done in iTunes will be easier to
implement.

Now I am not a Slim dev. or or have inside info, just making a guess to
why they would want to use a RDBMS. Please correct me if I am wrong.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFB1gqTH0fQtyBJLGwRAvAqAKCOs3hJKfbkU8UfFZgFyD T2HnOoyQCdGzT9
EVzkY8zbPCfTkz9oHZdzIl4=
=i/2L
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Jeff Shanholtz
2004-12-31, 21:36
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:57:33 -0800, kdf wrote:

> the main change is SQL.
> secondary change is musicmagic integration
>
> eventual plans include:
> support for multiple/external data sources.
> support for browse and filter based on teh SQL backend.
> musicmagic integration via datastores

Thanks for answering. What exactly is multiple/external data sources? Do
you mean multiple music folders? Other kinds of audio sources (like "line
in" on the sound card)?

kdf
2004-12-31, 21:47
Quoting Jeff Shanholtz <jeffsubs (AT) shanholtz (DOT) com>:

> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:57:33 -0800, kdf wrote:
>
> > the main change is SQL.
> > secondary change is musicmagic integration
> >
> > eventual plans include:
> > support for multiple/external data sources.
> > support for browse and filter based on teh SQL backend.
> > musicmagic integration via datastores
>
> Thanks for answering. What exactly is multiple/external data sources? Do
> you mean multiple music folders? Other kinds of audio sources (like "line
> in" on the sound card)?

the abaility to add other sources for data, or other formats. Right now, the
server is handling queries using SQLLite, but MySQL is an option. It could
also be possible to import data from iTunes, MusicMagic, MoodLogic, MusicMatch
and yes, possibly multiple music folders. I am speaking only of metadata
sources, and not of audio data.

-kdf