PDA

View Full Version : playback stops constantly

Keith Putnam
2004-12-31, 11:44
Hello. I'm having a problem with the Squeezebox that I ordered a couple of days ago. (Invoice # 1104257170-169)
In short, the problem is that the Squeezebox stops playing very frequently. Often on every song. It will hang and not ever begin replaying audio unless I skip to the next track or hit the 'play' button again (which
sends the player back to the beginning of the song). If I try to hit 'play' in the server's web interface, the link is non-responsive, though 'stop' and 'pause' are. This problem occurs regardless of the length of my
playlist (I have a maximum of 3000 songs right now but will be adding more) and whether or not the playlist is shuffled. Sometimes the player will make it through several songs before hanging, and sometimes
(like just now) it will hang two minutes into the first song of the playlist.
slimserver is being run in conjunction with iTunes.
I have updated the firmware on the Squeezebox several times to make sure (it's ver. 40), and have also reinstalled the slimserver software once. I have tried combinations of switching off all plugins, some plugins,
having all the plugins on, etc. I have quit all other running applications on the server computer, and also tried having other applications running. When playing, perl is the process that consumes the second-most
amount of RAM, and it jumps to first place if I shuffle all of my songs in my library, but maximum it seems to use only about 35-40 MB of RAM. CPU load on the server computer is fairly low when running
slimserver while the Squeezebox is playing.
When checking the logs I find frequent mention of "sent incomplete chunk" and "firing timer (number of seconds) late", but I'm not 31337 enough to really understand much of the logs. If it would be helpful to
you, let me know what events I should have the server log and I will send you a log to peruse.
The server computer is a Macintosh G4, 450MHz processor, 256 MB RAM with 1MB L2 cache and a 100MHz bus speed. This is connected via ethernet to a Linksys BEFSR41 router with firmware version 1.42.7. The
Squeezebox is connected to the same router via ethernet. The problem occurs whether I am using the ethernet connection or connecting wirelessly to my Linksys WAP11 wireless AP with firmware version 1.009.
The music library is stored on an internal hard drive in the G4 machine, though a separate hard drive from the system disk. This does not seem to be a problem for slimserver (as it shouldn't be).
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If this problem is unresolvable I will have to return the Squeezebox.
Thank you for your time and attention.
Keith
--

Jack Coates
2004-12-31, 12:10
Keith Putnam wrote:
> Hello. I'm having a problem with the Squeezebox that I ordered a couple of days ago. (Invoice # 1104257170-169)
> In short, the problem is that the Squeezebox stops playing very frequently. Often on every song. It will hang and not ever begin replaying audio unless I skip to the next track or hit the 'play' button again (which
> sends the player back to the beginning of the song). If I try to hit 'play' in the server's web interface, the link is non-responsive, though 'stop' and 'pause' are. This problem occurs regardless of the length of my
> playlist (I have a maximum of 3000 songs right now but will be adding more) and whether or not the playlist is shuffled. Sometimes the player will make it through several songs before hanging, and sometimes
> (like just now) it will hang two minutes into the first song of the playlist.
> slimserver is being run in conjunction with iTunes.
> I have updated the firmware on the Squeezebox several times to make sure (it's ver. 40), and have also reinstalled the slimserver software once. I have tried combinations of switching off all plugins, some plugins,
> having all the plugins on, etc. I have quit all other running applications on the server computer, and also tried having other applications running. When playing, perl is the process that consumes the second-most
> amount of RAM, and it jumps to first place if I shuffle all of my songs in my library, but maximum it seems to use only about 35-40 MB of RAM. CPU load on the server computer is fairly low when running
> slimserver while the Squeezebox is playing.
> When checking the logs I find frequent mention of "sent incomplete chunk" and "firing timer (number of seconds) late", but I'm not 31337 enough to really understand much of the logs. If it would be helpful to
> you, let me know what events I should have the server log and I will send you a log to peruse.
> The server computer is a Macintosh G4, 450MHz processor, 256 MB RAM with 1MB L2 cache and a 100MHz bus speed. This is connected via ethernet to a Linksys BEFSR41 router with firmware version 1.42.7. The
> Squeezebox is connected to the same router via ethernet. The problem occurs whether I am using the ethernet connection or connecting wirelessly to my Linksys WAP11 wireless AP with firmware version 1.009.
> The music library is stored on an internal hard drive in the G4 machine, though a separate hard drive from the system disk. This does not seem to be a problem for slimserver (as it shouldn't be).
> Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If this problem is unresolvable I will have to return the Squeezebox.
> Thank you for your time and attention.
> Keith

Hi Keith,

a) this is a discuss list, support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com is the avenue to
discuss returns with (http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html).

b) that doesn't sound good, seems like you've already isolated the
network issues that usually cause problems. The slimserver behavior
sounds about right for the size of system that you're describing. Just
for grins, could you try a much smaller music folder? (e.g.
/mnt/music/Mungo_Jerry/Greatest_Hits instead of /mnt/music).

c) I have had switch-related problems with more than one piece of
low-end consumer gear, it is remotely possible that streaming is
uncovering a problem with your Linksys. However, I'm inclined to think
corrupt MP3s or a bad Squeezebox at this point.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

kdf
2004-12-31, 13:41
Quoting Keith Putnam <khp (AT) graffiti (DOT) net>:

> Hello. I'm having a problem with the Squeezebox that I ordered a couple of
> days ago. (Invoice # 1104257170-169)
> In short, the problem is that the Squeezebox stops playing very frequently.
> Often on every song. It will hang and not ever begin replaying audio unless I
> skip to the next track or hit the 'play' button again (which
> sends the player back to the beginning of the song). If I try to hit 'play'

Lets start by breaking this down a bit. It seems from your points from the log,
that you have several of the debugging options checked. 'firing timer' is not
something that is terribly useful for most, so you can start by disregarding
that.

What file types are in your library for starters?
Initially, I would start debugging with d_source only, as this shows the basic
information involved in playback. For all file formats, it will show you the
information on the command used to either translate the format, show that its
playing directly or any bitrate conversion information. It will also be the
specific debug flag that gives you the 'sent incomplete chunk' message. If you
focus on just that one, you might be better able to piece together just what is
happening.

also, watch your CPU usage when you try to play a track, to see if there is any
odd behaviour there.

cheers,
kdf