PDA

View Full Version : iQAudio DAC+ "crashes" sometimes after player has been switched off and on again

schup011
2017-07-10, 02:33
Hi guys,

I have an issue with pCP 3.20 (normal) on RasPi 3 Model B, an iQAudio DAC+ and official 7'' touchscreen + JiveLite.

Sometimes (regularly, but not any time), the DAC crashes after having switched off the player and on again. No audio output any more. LMS and Squeezelite seem to be running normally, just no audio output.

If this happens, I can only fix it by

1) Setting pCP audio to analogue audio --> Reboot
2) Setting pCP audio to iQAudio DAC + again --> Reboot
3) Hard reset (disconnect 5V after having shutdown pCP).

(all steps to be done, not only one of them).

Any ideas? What logs should I turn on to track this issue?
What happens in Squeezelite with the audio I2S hardware when the player is switched off / on?

Thanks a lot!

ralphy
2017-07-10, 04:41
Hi guys,

I have an issue with pCP 3.20 (normal) on RasPi 3 Model B, an iQAudio DAC+ and official 7'' touchscreen + JiveLite.

Sometimes (regularly, but not any time), the DAC crashes after having switched off the player and on again. No audio output any more. LMS and Squeezelite seem to be running normally, just no audio output.

If this happens, I can only fix it by

1) Setting pCP audio to analogue audio --> Reboot
2) Setting pCP audio to iQAudio DAC + again --> Reboot
3) Hard reset (disconnect 5V after having shutdown pCP).

(all steps to be done, not only one of them).

Any ideas? What logs should I turn on to track this issue?
What happens in Squeezelite with the audio I2S hardware when the player is switched off / on?

Thanks a lot!

I had the same issue with this hardware config. Turned out to be the power supply.
I have 2 x 2.5A with the rpi logo on them and both exhibited the behaviour and I never had the lightening bolt on the display with either one.
Been using a Canakit DCAR 052A5 2.5A (https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-adapter-power-supply-2-5a.html) for 6 month and have not had the issue since.

schup011
2017-07-10, 04:54
I initially had the "official" Raspberry Pi 2.5A supply.

Already suspected the power supply (especially now with touchscreen attached) and bought a 3A supply (noname).

Unfortunately, the problem still occurred.

Should I nevertheless try the CanaKit one?

paul-
2017-07-10, 05:01
A power supply can be putting out proper voltage, but creating noise. I suspect certain DACs are more prone to noisy power supplies. I have all kinds of setups running for debugging.....I have some that always run with the lightening bolt.....yet they never lock/ crash.

Do you have a way to power the touchscreen separately?

schup011
2017-07-10, 05:13
Well, of course I could power the touchscreen separately. Just have to figure out how to do it.

Another idea: Insert a large Electrolyte capacitor at the output of the 5V supply. How do you think about that?

What is this lightening bolt?

Man in a van
2017-07-10, 06:52
Well, of course I could power the touchscreen separately. Just have to figure out how to do it.

Another idea: Insert a large Electrolyte capacitor at the output of the 5V supply. How do you think about that?

What is this lightening bolt?

either

or

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/57963/what-does-the-lightning-bolt-mean

you figure it out :rolleyes::p;)

Ronnie

schup011
2017-07-10, 08:11
:D:D:cool:

OK, got it, thanks. Yes, I have in fact seen this symbol. Never thought about it very much. Now, I know more.

I will place a stabilizing 220F capacitor within the power connection between DAC and display and then look how it works. Because this is quite easy to implement.

If that works, for long term, I should think of a good 5V low noise power supply.

schup011
2017-07-10, 14:28
No good news.

Capacitor in between DAC and display power did not work at all (DAC gave no output). Removed it, got audio again, but with the above described issue.

Then I put several capacitors at the 5V power input of the Raspberry Pi. No change.

How is separate powering of the display done? At the moment, I have four wires from Pi (DAC board, respectively) to the display, two of them being 5V and GND.
Should I just remove
5V, or
5V and GND, or
all four wires?

Can the micro USB socket of the display board be used for powering the display?

Thanks.

Man in a van
2017-07-11, 02:11
No good news.

Capacitor in between DAC and display power did not work at all (DAC gave no output). Removed it, got audio again, but with the above described issue.

Then I put several capacitors at the 5V power input of the Raspberry Pi. No change.

How is separate powering of the display done? At the moment, I have four wires from Pi (DAC board, respectively) to the display, two of them being 5V and GND.
Should I just remove
5V, or
5V and GND, or
all four wires?

Can the micro USB socket of the display board be used for powering the display?

Thanks.

A little google came up with this

https://www.max2play.com/en/wiki/7-touch-screen-connect-the-gpio/

there is almost certainly the info you need in this furum, again, try google with slightly different wording (include slimdevices forum is a tip, I believe, from Ralphy)

schup011
2017-07-11, 03:48
Thanks, will do.

I also discovered that the two additional GPIO pins I had connected are not needed.

So I will first disconnect those, then test. Afterwards, if it is still there, I will power the display completely separately, and try again.

schup011
2017-07-11, 23:38
Seems to be solved.

The two GPIO lines I had connected through the DAC board to the touchscreen seem to have disturbed the DAC.

Disconnected them and since then could not reproduce the issue.