PDA

View Full Version : problem: squeezebox stops playing almost every song

Keith Putnam
2004-12-30, 20:38
Hello, folks. I'm running slimserver on an OS X (10.3) box have a problem with my Squeezebox that hopefully you can help me out with.
Whether running wirelessly (Mac -> router -> wireless AP -> Squeezebox) or wired (Mac -> router -> Squeezebox), my Squeezebox doesn't seem to be able to make
it through an entire song without stopping playback. At first I thought it was buffering (which would still be annoying), but playback does not resume unless I hit the
'play' button on the remote (which starts the song over) or the 'next' button to skip to the next song in the list.
From perusing some of the previous postings, I'm thinking it might be an issue with the buffer, thought that particular issue seemed to only come up on a Solaris
system. The solution there was to modify the perl script (if I recall correctly) to change the buffer behavior when the buffer is full. Does this seem like the likely
problem, given my symptoms, and the likely solution?
Any insight would be helpful, as this is a VERY disappointing problem and one that, if not fixable, will lead to the return of the Squeezebox.
Thanks,
Keith
--

Jack Coates
2004-12-30, 20:43
Keith Putnam wrote:
> Hello, folks. I'm running slimserver on an OS X (10.3) box have a problem with my Squeezebox that hopefully you can help me out with.
> Whether running wirelessly (Mac -> router -> wireless AP -> Squeezebox) or wired (Mac -> router -> Squeezebox), my Squeezebox doesn't seem to be able to make
> it through an entire song without stopping playback. At first I thought it was buffering (which would still be annoying), but playback does not resume unless I hit the
> 'play' button on the remote (which starts the song over) or the 'next' button to skip to the next song in the list.
>>From perusing some of the previous postings, I'm thinking it might be an issue with the buffer, thought that particular issue seemed to only come up on a Solaris
> system. The solution there was to modify the perl script (if I recall correctly) to change the buffer behavior when the buffer is full. Does this seem like the likely
> problem, given my symptoms, and the likely solution?
> Any insight would be helpful, as this is a VERY disappointing problem and one that, if not fixable, will lead to the return of the Squeezebox.
> Thanks,
> Keith

I'd contact support, sounds like you might have a hardware problem.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

Daniel Cohen
2004-12-31, 00:55
On 31/12/04 at 11:38 am +0800, Keith Putnam wrote
>Hello, folks. I'm running slimserver on an OS X (10.3) box have a
>problem with my Squeezebox that hopefully you can help me out with.

It helps if you also state your model of computer, CPU speed, RAM
etc, for a problem of this kind. Also version of Slimserver and
Squeezebox firmware.

Alo what format are your songs?

My G4, 800MHz, 768Mb RAM, works fine wireless. No help to you, but it
does provide a comparison.

I can't diagnose the problem, but it's certainly not typical.

>Whether running wirelessly (Mac -> router -> wireless AP ->
>Squeezebox) or wired (Mac -> router -> Squeezebox), my Squeezebox
>doesn't seem to be able to make
>it through an entire song without stopping playback. At first I
>thought it was buffering (which would still be annoying), but
>playback does not resume unless I hit the
>'play' button on the remote (which starts the song over) or the
>'next' button to skip to the next song in the list.
>>From perusing some of the previous postings, I'm thinking it might
>>be an issue with the buffer, thought that particular issue seemed
>>to only come up on a Solaris
>system. The solution there was to modify the perl script (if I
>recall correctly) to change the buffer behavior when the buffer is
>full. Does this seem like the likely
>problem, given my symptoms, and the likely solution?
>Any insight would be helpful, as this is a VERY disappointing
>problem and one that, if not fixable, will lead to the return of the
>Squeezebox.
>Thanks,
>Keith
>--
>