PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Drives on WIndows XP

Tim Long
2004-12-30, 16:47
There is more than one way to skin a cat.

1. Use shortcuts. This does work, but you must have the access permissions set correctly. Access problems always boil down to incorrect permissions, in my experience. Try comparing the permissions of your current library to that of the new folder and see if there is any difference. If the shortcut points directly to a folder on disk, then the slimserver must have sufficient file permissions on that folder. If the shortcut points to a network share, then the sharing permissions must allow the slimserver access IN ADDITION to the file permissions of the target folder. In the second case, the slimserver will also probably need to run in a user account and not as LocalSystem.

2. Use the Volume Manager to make your disks dynamic, then simply stripe your volume across both drives, creating a single larger volume.

3. Create a new volume (with or without a drive letter) and mount it at a convenient point in the filesystem of your original volume.

There are pros and cons to each method and which one you choose will depend on your own unique circumstances.

Tim Long
http://syd.tigranetworks.co.uk - software for amateur astronomers

> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of
> Eric Goebelbecker
> Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 9:23 PM
> To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> Subject: [slim] Multiple Drives on WIndows XP
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm running SlimServer 5.4.1 on Windows XP Pro SP2. I would
> like to be able to store music on more than one physical
> drive, but cannot get the server to scan the second one.
>
> I browsed the list archives and saw at least oe person being
> told to add a shortcut to the second drive on the first. Ive
> tried this to no avail.
>
> Has anyone gotten this to work?
>
>
> --
> ----------------------------------
> Eric Goebelbecker
> eric (AT) ominor (DOT) net