PDA

View Full Version : picoreplayer 3.11 +waveshare 3.5 TFT + jivelite + Raspberry Pi 2B+

nowhinjing
2017-05-04, 07:46
I am so close to getting this fully working. I have created a TFT.tcz and modified the jivelite.tcz to use a custom 480x320 screen.

In large part, I have used the guidance posted on the fbtft post in the tiny core forum.

BUT I am failing at the last hurdle. In Jan Grulich's post half way down page 4 he suggests that

sudo SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon SDL_FBDEV=/dev/fb1 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite &

will redirect the jivelite output to the screen - which indeed it does.

Where I am failing is in trying to make it persistent. In short I can find no way to change the loaded jivelite.sh
/opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh while modifying this in the source merely generates an additional opt_1 folder, but seems to have no other effect.http://forums.slimdevices.com/images/smilies/confused.png

Can anyone help, pretty please ...

NWJ

P.S. I will happily write this up and share it once it's all working.

piPlayer
2017-05-05, 02:59
I am so close to getting this fully working. I have created a TFT.tcz and modified the jivelite.tcz to use a custom 480x320 screen.

In large part, I have used the guidance posted on the fbtft post in the tiny core forum.

BUT I am failing at the last hurdle. In Jan Grulich's post half way down page 4 he suggests that

will redirect the jivelite output to the screen - which indeed it does.

Where I am failing is in trying to make it persistent. In short I can find no way to change the loaded jivelite.sh
/opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh while modifying this in the source merely generates an additional opt_1 folder, but seems to have no other effect.http://forums.slimdevices.com/images/smilies/confused.png

Can anyone help, pretty please ...

NWJ

I have not edited the jivelite.sh on the raspberry pi. I unsquashed the jivelite.tcz in a virtual linux machine and edited the jivelite.sh like you said above. Then I run squashFS to get the modified jivelite.tcz an copied it back to the Pi.

nowhinjing
2017-05-05, 04:35
@piplayer, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have done exactly what you specified, unsquash - modify the source jivelite.sh, resquash and copy the resulting jivelite.tcz to the picoreplayer.

Unfortunately with the same result, jivelite does not start. When I winSCP into the modified picoreplayer I see TWO opt folders, opt and opt_1. opt contains the original unchanged jivelite.sh and opt_1 the modified version.

So I'm still confused. Would you be kind enough to post the contends of your modified jivelite.sh just in case I'm doing something wrong ...

Thanks again,

NWJ

ralphy
2017-05-05, 05:30
Put your modified copy of jivelite.sh in /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce

Modify /home/tc/www/cgi-bin/do_rebootstuff.sh

--- /home/tc/www/cgi-bin/do_rebootstuff.sh.orig
+++ /home/tc/www/cgi-bin/do_rebootstuff.sh
@@ -679,7 +679,7 @@
export HOME=/home/tc
if [ -x /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh ]; then
echo "${GREEN}Done.${NORMAL}"
- sudo -E -b /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
+ sudo -E -b /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
else
echo "${RED}There is a problem with the Jivelite installation. Please remove and reinstall jivelite.${NORMAL}"
fi

Backup the config to save the change to do_rebootstuff.sh

piPlayer
2017-05-05, 06:53
@piplayer, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have done exactly what you specified, unsquash - modify the source jivelite.sh, resquash and copy the resulting jivelite.tcz to the picoreplayer.

Unfortunately with the same result, jivelite does not start. When I winSCP into the modified picoreplayer I see TWO opt folders, opt and opt_1. opt contains the original unchanged jivelite.sh and opt_1 the modified version.

So I'm still confused. Would you be kind enough to post the contends of your modified jivelite.sh just in case I'm doing something wrong ...

Thanks again,

NWJ
For me it sounds like there ist an failure in the filestrukture of the modified jivelite.tcz. Maybe there is a folder named /opt_1 instead of /opt or the folder /opt exists twice or something. Did the original jivelite.tcz properly working? Then I would check if the folderstrukture of your jivelite.tcz is 100% similar to the original one.

cubii
2017-05-05, 07:06

that would be nice, i have also one of these displays...

nowhinjing
2017-05-06, 05:48
@Ralphy, thanks for spending your valuable time on this - I know I must be thick but at nearly 70 the old brain doesn't work as well as it did.

On the TFT I get

Starting Jivelite ... Done.
but no jivelite display.

/home/tc/www/cgi-bin/do_rebootstuff.sh - Jivelite section reads

if [ "$JIVELITE" = "yes" ]; then
echo -n "${BLUE}Starting Jivelite... ${NORMAL}"
# eventno=$( cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/FT5406 memory based driver/{for(a=0;a>=0;a++){getline;{if(/mouse/==1){ print $NF;exit 0;}}}}')
# if [ x"" != x"$eventno" ];then
export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
# export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/$eventno
export SDL_MOUSEDRV=TSLIB
export SDL_MOUSEDEV=$TSLIB_TSDEVICE
# fi
export HOME=/home/tc
sudo -E -b /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
else
echo "${RED}There is a problem with the Jivelite installation. Please remove and reinstall jivelite.${NORMAL}"
fi
fi

/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh reads

#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -z ${SDL_TOUCHSCREEN} ]; then
export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
fi

export HOME=/home/tc
export JIVE_FRAMERATE=22

SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon SDL_FBDEV=/dev/fb1 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite &

/usr/sbin/fbset -depth 32

while true; do
sleep 3
/opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite > /dev/null 2>&1
done

running the command below through putty gives the desired result ..

Any light you can shed would be most gratefully received....

NWJ

piPlayer
2017-05-06, 08:56
Hello NWJ,

my well working jivelite.sh looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

lms=192.168.3.4

while ! ping -c1 $lms >/dev/null 2>&1
do
sleep 2

done

export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
fi

export HOME=/home/tc
export JIVE_FRAMERATE=22

while true; do
sleep 3
SDL_FBDEV=/dev/fb1 SDL_MOUSEDRV=TSLIB SDL_MOUSEDEV=/dev/input/event0 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite > /dev/null 2>&1
done
There is something different to yours. Please try my version.

nowhinjing
2017-05-08, 01:10
@PiPlayer - thanks for your reply.

I guess from your setup you are not on a Raspberry Pi as the locations you specify look nothing like mine ..

However I modified your script to fit my location, but with no good result.

I guess I will need to crave Ralph's indulgence to get this fixed.

I still owe you many thanks for your attempt to help - as my old granny used to say "an ounce (gramme) of help is worth a pound (kilo) of pity".

NWJ

piPlayer
2017-05-08, 05:01
#!/bin/sh
export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
fi

export HOME=/home/tc
export JIVE_FRAMERATE=22

while true; do
sleep 3
/opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite > /dev/null 2>&1
done
Hello NWJ,

my script works well on a Raspberry Pi 2 and on a Raspberry Pi A+. Here you can see one of my Players with a
4 inch Waveshare display: Link (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100753-Touchscreen-an-Raspberry-betreiben-geht-das-Eine-neue-Version-von-Squeezeplug-ist-da&p=872436&viewfull=1#post872436)
The ping command on top of my script is too check if LMS is available. The next lines are similar to your script.
The red marked line in your script ist IMO on the wrong place. With this line you start Jivelite with the SDL driver and later you start jivelite again with HDMI output. Maybe this is the reason why you have two /opt folders.

Pleace try this:
(Pay attention to the blank spaces)

#!/bin/sh
export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
fi

export HOME=/home/tc
export JIVE_FRAMERATE=22

while true; do
sleep 3
SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon SDL_FBDEV=/dev/fb1 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite > /dev/null 2>&1
done

nowhinjing
2017-05-08, 06:47
@piPlayer - it works ! :D

Thanks sooo much - poor old guys like me need to be spoon fed, I guess. :o

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Gratefully yours,

NWJ

nowhinjing
2017-05-08, 08:23
Hi, all,

As promised I have written up the torturous process of getting piCorePlayer + Jivelite to work on a small TFT screen.

There are many, many people who have helped me through this, but I would especially like to thank Jan Grulich, PiPlayer, and Ralphy for their valuable contributions.

Forgive me if you think that the guide is too detailed - but it is often better to have Noddy level instructions than ones that assume knowledge the user may not have - that's my excuse anyway.

So here it is, I hope it is of some use to somebody.

http://www.pughx2.com/picoreplayer.html

Regards to all,

NWJ

piPlayer
2017-05-08, 23:20

Good manual, certanly it helps others to get a cheap Squeezebox Touch replacement.
I also wrote a manual for myself, but in German. Unfortunately, my East German school English
is not good enough for a manual that everyone understands. :o

nowhinjing
2017-05-08, 23:57
Good manual, certanly it helps others to get a cheap Squeezebox Touch replacement.
I also wrote a manual for myself, but in German. Unfortunately, my East German school English
is not good enough for a manual that everyone understands. :o

Your English is a lot better than my German - which is non-existant !

Congratulations - you managed to help me, at least.

NWJ

badboygolf16v
2017-05-13, 09:17
Hi NWJ

This looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm after.

I have an Adafruit 3.5" TFT display. Do you think that the procedure in your instructions will work for it?

Cheers

nowhinjing
2017-05-14, 09:37
should work, since I've used the generic screen drivers - you may need different modprobe parameters, but I guess adafruit can help you with that.

let me know how you get on - if you get it to work I would be happy to add any changes required to the website under an addendum for your display.

good luck,

NWJ

paul-
2017-05-14, 10:49
should work, since I've used the generic screen drivers - you may need different modprobe parameters, but I guess adafruit can help you with that.

let me know how you get on - if you get it to work I would be happy to add any changes required to the website under an addendum for your display.

good luck,

NWJ

Have you tried this with pCP 3.20? The staging drivers are present in that kernel too. There are a fair number of folks trying to do this, I can include these tft staging drivers in our touchscreen-KERNEL.tcz extension. Also, if you put your modified applets here "~/.jivelite/userpath/applets/" then restart jivelite, these copies should override the default extensions in the jivelite tcz. You will probably need the full applet in this location, not just the modified files.......but not 100% sure on this point.

That will at least save folks from having to make custom extensions.

ps. That is a heck of a modprobe line. Where did you find all of that info? Was that in the waveshare website.

badboygolf16v
2017-05-14, 13:06
Paul, if you'd like me to test anything, let me know.

nowhinjing
2017-05-14, 23:43
Have you tried this with pCP 3.20? The staging drivers are present in that kernel too. There are a fair number of folks trying to do this, I can include these tft staging drivers in our touchscreen-KERNEL.tcz extension. Also, if you put your modified applets here "~/.jivelite/userpath/applets/" then restart jivelite, these copies should override the default extensions in the jivelite tcz. You will probably need the full applet in this location, not just the modified files.......but not 100% sure on this point.

That will at least save folks from having to make custom extensions.

ps. That is a heck of a modprobe line. Where did you find all of that info? Was that in the waveshare website.

hi, Paul,

that modprobe line originally came from Jan Grulich over on the TCL forum fbtft thread. It works, so I have never delved further into it.

I plan to do the same on 3.20 on my return from family business, but you are welcome to take / use anything I've posted to help others.

NWJ

piPlayer
2017-05-16, 02:28
A couple of modeprobe parameters for some TFT`s you can find here: Link (https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjAuInKi_TTAhUnKpoKHRavBJIQFggpMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fnotro%2Ffbtft%2Fwik i%2Fflexfb&usg=AFQjCNHUVBL6QPlP9se9oxlFkeu-KBhlHQ)

nowhinjing
2017-05-23, 06:02
I am pleased to confirm that I have managed to get this all working for piCorePlayer 3.20 and have modified and simplified the instructions.

One caveat, jivelite has been extensively re-modelled and now no longer includes WQVGAsmallSkin, so I have retro-fitted it into my instructions along with my custom Wav35Skin - BUT wallpapers are not working and I don't have time to delve into it now.

Hope this helps somebody ...

NWJ

Update:

Now includes screen calibration ...

JohnPI
2017-05-26, 01:01
I am using 4 RPi3 with one each one picoreplayer (3.11) with HiFiBerryAMP+.
The version and configurations are all the same except for their ip-address and the name of the player.

All working fine: great player, good options and fine music.
But.....

LMS is regularly mixing up the different players. I prefer that every RPI/LMS is keeping it's own player. But all the time these players get mixed up (after reboot?): I have one LSM having 2, 3 or even 4 of all the players and the other ones (I use the "RPI3-ip-address:9000" have no players).

It does not help when I set the option Advanced - Remote Music Libraries - Logitech Media Server "Disabled, do not look for other Logitech Media Servers."

I don't need the option to synchronise. I am very already very happy to keep 4 individual players playing their own music and not "bothering" each other.

I cannot find the solution for this..... Anybody can give me a hint? :confused::confused:
Thanks in advance!

cubii
2017-06-03, 11:02
I am pleased to confirm that I have managed to get this all working for piCorePlayer 3.20 and have modified and simplified the instructions.

One caveat, jivelite has been extensively re-modelled and now no longer includes WQVGAsmallSkin, so I have retro-fitted it into my instructions along with my custom Wav35Skin - BUT wallpapers are not working and I don't have time to delve into it now.

Hope this helps somebody ...

NWJ

Update:

Now includes screen calibration ...

Thanks for your work
i tried it on: raspberry 3, 4gb sd card, 3,5 inch rpidsiplay (cheapest version you nget on ebay/ aliexpress), picore 3.20

I got picoreplayer working on the display (so the first booting stuff was visible on it), could install jivelite (it startet at least on an connected hdmi screen, but if i use your jivelite.sh from the jivelite file pack and copied that to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/, and overwrote /home/tc/www/cgi-bin/do_rebootstuff.sh with do_rebootstuff.sh from the jivelite file pack, it wont start any more... (no connection possible via WINSCP and putty)

I also used the original (from picoreplayer 3.20) cmdline.txt and config.txt and added your changes, because with the files you provided, it didnt work.

Perhaps you have an updated version of the do_rebootstuff.sh and jivelite.sh files i could try or you have an other helpful advice?

Greetings
cubii

pille
2017-08-20, 09:46
Hi,
anyone sucessfully activated the now in pcp 3.21 included fbtft drivers for e.g. a Waveshare 3.5" display ? I followed the instructions from paul-

-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----
That was a package that he made himself. These drivers are now included in the touchscreen kernel module extension.

Install Jivelite from the pCP interface, that should install everything that you need.
-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----

I installed pcp 3.21 and installed jivelite, but display was not activated.

Any hints how to activated the PCP 3.21 with the Waveshare display ?
Thanks
Stefan

nowhinjing
2017-08-21, 07:34
See the process described at
www.pughx2.com.

Good Luck.

paul-
2017-08-21, 13:50
See the process described at
www.pughx2.com.

You will need to download the following files
http://www.pughx2.com/assets/px2/files/tft/piCore321/Player3.21_Kernel4.9.35.zip

Good Luck.

I have included the kernel modules in Touchscreen-KERNEL.tcz already

touchscreen-4.9.35-pcpCore_v7.tcz.list

usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/hwmon/hwmon.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/hwmon/sht21.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/hwmon/shtc1.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen/rpi-ft5406.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen/edt-ft5x06.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen/usbtouchscreen.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen/goodix.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen/stmpe-ts.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen/ads7846.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen/egalax_ts.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/input/input-polldev.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/input/ff-memless.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/input/joydev.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/input/evdev.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/video/backlight/rpi_backlight.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/video/backlight/lcd.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/video/backlight/gpio_backlight.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/video/fbdev/rpisense-fb.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/video/fbdev/ssd1307fb.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/video/fbdev/udlfb.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/video/fbdev/core/sysfillrect.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/video/fbdev/core/fb_sys_fops.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/video/fbdev/core/sysimgblt.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/video/fbdev/core/syscopyarea.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ili9320.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_hx8347d.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_bd663474.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ili9481.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_upd161704.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_s6d1121.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_hx8357d.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ili9341.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ra8875.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fbtft_device.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_watterott.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ssd1306.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_st7735r.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ssd1289.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ili9486.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ili9163.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_hx8340bn.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_st7789v.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_hx8353d.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ssd1331.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fbtft.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_s6d02a1.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ili9340.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/flexfb.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_tinylcd.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_pcd8544.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_agm1264k-fl.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ili9325.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_tls8204.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_ssd1351.ko
usr/local/lib/modules/4.9.35-pcpCore_v7/kernel/drivers/staging/fbtft/fb_uc1701.ko

nowhinjing
2017-08-22, 06:30
I am pleased to say that @paul has indeed come up trumps - and that his touchscreen tcz works perfectly with the waveshare 3.5" screen.

I have therefore amended my instructions to suit this much easier and smoother way of doing things.

Hope it helps someone ..

NWJ

23/08 - added a working img download to the site.

pille
2017-08-24, 10:54
Hi nowhinjing,
tried your instructions, but was not successful :(.
Within the step by step instructions based an fresh 3.21 pcp image, I lost after the last step of the first section editing /opt/bootlocal.sh making the Backup and doing a reboot. After the reboot the screen was light grey and was flickering. No output on the screen ???
After that I tried your image. This is also not working. Again the display lickers 6-7 times with light grey but nothing appears on the display.
Attached you can find a picture of my screen. schould be the same like yours.
I checked all your setting , everything is fine. Attached you can find the lsmod output

Module Size Used by Tainted: G
fbtft_device 38075 0
flexfb 14308 63
fbtft 34966 2 fbtft_device,flexfb
fb_sys_fops 1741 1 fbtft
syscopyarea 3225 1 fbtft
sysfillrect 3826 1 fbtft
sysimgblt 2480 1 fbtft
joydev 9988 0
snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s 6546 0
snd_bcm2835 24427 0
snd_soc_core 179915 1 snd_soc_bcm2835_i2s
snd_pcm_dmaengine 5894 1 snd_soc_core
snd_compress 10384 1 snd_soc_core
ads7846 13656 0
hwmon 10552 1 ads7846
snd_pcm 98501 3 snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd_timer 23968 1 snd_pcm
snd 70032 5 snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core,snd_compress,snd_pcm,snd_ timer
fixed 3285 0
squashfs 33761 29
lz4 1770 4
lz4_compress 3334 1 lz4
zram 22792 1
zsmalloc 17463 1 zram
evdev 12423 62
spi_bcm2835 7596 0
i2c_bcm2835 7167 0
bcm2835_gpiomem 3940 0
uio_pdrv_genirq 3923 0
uio 10204 1 uio_pdrv_genirq

and dmsg output within the attached file

Any hints how to proceed and find the problem why display is not working ?
Thanks
Stefan

nowhinjing
2017-08-25, 04:24
Unfortunately your screen is not the same as mine.

So the problem is possibly in several places :

1. the correct kernel drivers are not loaded - this is very unlikely since it looks as if @paul_ has picked out all the relevant drivers.

2. the modprobe statements and / or the dtoverlay statements are incorrect - I have done a bit of googling, but can find nothing specific, but see
https://github.com/swkim01/waveshare-dtoverlays

3. your screen is defective !

Sorry I can't be of more help, but not having that particular screen makes it hard to diagnose the problem. Hopefully the above will point you in the right direction.

NWJ

nowhinjing
2017-08-25, 08:32
Just to be sure I repeated this process on an Rpi 3 - I works as I would expect.

Can you please try again on a freshly written sd of 3.21 using the first part of my instructions to get output on the TFT screen before moving on to Jivelite. The process should take less than 1 hour.

You need to append this to sd card FAT partition cmdline.txt

fbcon=map:10 fbcon=font:ProFont6x11 logo.nologo

And change the following lines in config.txt

framebuffer_width=480
framebuffer_height=320

[ALL]
#----------------------------------------------------
dtparam=i2c=on,spi=on,i2s=on
dtoverlay=ads7846,speed=1000000,penirq=17,penirq_p ull=2,swapxy=1,xmin=200,xmax=3900,ymin=200,ymax=39 00,pmax=255,xohms=60

and add the following to the end of /mnt/opt bootlocal.sh

#pCPstop------

modprobe flexfb width=320 height=480 regwidth=16 init=-1,0xb0,0x0,-1,0x11,-2,250,-1,0x3A,0x55,-1,0xC2,0x44,-1,0xC5,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,-1,0xE0,0x0F,0x1F,0x1C,0x0C,0x0F,0x08,0x48,0x98,0x3 7,0x0A,0x13,0x04,0x11,0x0D,0x00,-1,0xE1,0x0F,0x32,0x2E,0x0B,0x0D,0x05,0x47,0x75,0x3 7,0x06,0x10,0x03,0x24,0x20,0x00,-1,0xE2,0x0F,0x32,0x2E,0x0B,0x0D,0x05,0x47,0x75,0x3 7,0x06,0x10,0x03,0x24,0x20,0x00,-1,0x36,0x28,-1,0x11,-1,0x29,-3
modprobe fbtft_device debug=3 rotate=90 name=flexfb speed=16000000 gpios=reset:25,dc:24

Do let me know how you get on ...

pille
2017-08-26, 10:56
I tried our recommended steps -> nothing
I loaded the Waveshare provided -> nothing

I think the display is broken, ordered another one. Let's see how the new one works.
I will inform you, when I have further test results.

ralphy
2017-08-27, 06:07
I am pleased to say that @paul has indeed come up trumps - and that his touchscreen tcz works perfectly with the waveshare 3.5" screen.

I have therefore amended my instructions to suit this much easier and smoother way of doing things.

Hope it helps someone ..

NWJ

23/08 - added a working img download to the site.

I've added a picoreplayer package for the 3.5" waveshare skin to the pcp repository

and added support for the wav_ wallpaper 480 x 320 files to jivelite. It is a repackaging of the zip file with the SetupWallpaper applet and Thumb.db files removed and the wav_* wallpaper files moved so jivelite can load them.

Make sure you reset the repository after installing the skin!

You will need reinstall jivelite to add the wallpaper support.

Note that the clock screen savers do NOT work with the 3.5" waveshare skin.

nowhinjing
2017-08-27, 06:23
I will re-create the set up tomorrow and then modify the instructions.

NWJ

nowhinjing
2017-08-28, 02:45
@ralphy

I have tried out your new tcz - very slick, but unfortunately the default screen is still set to JogglerSkin, which means that the display on the TFT 3.5" screen is ... bad.

If this could be changed to Wav35Skin, I think it would work.

Thanks to you and @paul_ we are really close to an easy setup process for piCorePlayer with generic small TFT screens.

I will most happily document the results.

NWJ

ralphy
2017-08-28, 06:01
@ralphy

I have tried out your new tcz - very slick, but unfortunately the default screen is still set to JogglerSkin, which means that the display on the TFT 3.5" screen is ... bad.

If this could be changed to Wav35Skin, I think it would work.

Thanks to you and @paul_ we are really close to an easy setup process for piCorePlayer with generic small TFT screens.

I will most happily document the results.

NWJ
We change the default skin to JogglerSkin for the rpi 7" display that pcp supports, so I can't globally change it to the waveshare skin.

However, I can create an additional package say pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz to change the default skin to wavshare and include all the depend packages.

I forgot to mention that the WQVGAsmallSkin is also availabe in the Extensions list as pcp-jivelite_wqvgaskins.tcz.
Is it a requirement for the wav35skin? If so, I can make it a dependency to have pcp load it automatically.

nowhinjing
2017-08-28, 06:44
We change the default skin to JogglerSkin for the rpi 7" display that pcp supports, so I can't globally change it to the waveshare skin.

However, I can create an additional package say pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz to change the default skin to wavshare and include all the depend packages.

I forgot to mention that the WQVGAsmallSkin is also availabe in the Extensions list as pcp-jivelite_wqvgaskins.tcz.
Is it a requirement for the wav35skin? If so, I can make it a dependency to have pcp load it automatically.

WQVGAsmall skin is not a prerequisite for Wav35Skin - you can use one or the other.

A pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz that changes the default skin to Wav35Skin and includes all the depend packages would be really great.

Thanks, in advance,

NWJ

ralphy
2017-08-28, 07:37
WQVGAsmall skin is not a prerequisite for Wav35Skin - you can use one or the other.

A pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz that changes the default skin to Wav35Skin and includes all the depend packages would be really great.

Thanks, in advance,

NWJ

Done. Just select the pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz from Extensions.

The pcp-jivelite_wav35skin.tcz is loaded automatically. Don't forget to reset the repository after loading the extension.

No need to reboot, you can just click the Reset button in the Jivelite Setup section on the Tweaks tab and jivelite will restart using the wav35skin.

Enjoy

nowhinjing
2017-08-28, 08:31
@ralphy

Thank-you, that works as long as you create an executable jivelite.sh in /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/

#!/bin/sh
export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
fi

# export SDL_VIDEO_FBCON_ROTATION=UD

export HOME=/home/tc
export JIVE_FRAMERATE=22

while true; do
sleep 3
done

and change the end of /home/tc/www/cgi-bin/do_rebootstuff.sh to read

# eventno=$( cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/FT5406 memory based driver/{for(a=0;a>=0;a++){getline;{if(/mouse/==1){ print $NF;exit 0;}}}}')
# export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event0
# fi
export HOME=/home/tc
sudo -E -b /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh > /dev/null 2>&1
# sudo -E -b /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
else
fi
fi

Thank-you greatly for this, it will save me many hours of updating as the versions go along.

NWJ

piPlayer
2017-08-29, 04:24
Note that the clock screen savers do NOT work with the 3.5" waveshare skin.
On my system the clock screen savers working well with the waveshare display.
Therefore I have changed the resolution of the clock .png images and modified the ClockApplet.lua file.
But in my case the .png files must be stored in the clock folder of WQVGAsmallSkin and not in the Wav35Skin clock folder.
Therfore I do need the WQVGAsmallSkin. Maybe it is not the best way but it works for me.
Is it possible to added these changes to the pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz extension?

nowhinjing
2017-08-29, 09:07
The instructions have been improved and updated to reflect progress so far ... Please see

www.pughx2.com

Again many thanks to @Paul_ and @Ralphy for their invaluable expertise.

Hope it is of use to someone ...

NWJ

gsp_steve
2017-08-29, 11:28
Did anyone know if this also works on a Raspberry Model B?

nowhinjing
2017-08-30, 00:50

Don't Know - give it a go - you will only waste an hour of your time and you will add to our wealth of knowledge ...

NWJ

ralphy
2017-08-30, 04:39
On my system the clock screen savers working well with the waveshare display.
Therefore I have changed the resolution of the clock .png images and modified the ClockApplet.lua file.
But in my case the .png files must be stored in the clock folder of WQVGAsmallSkin and not in the Wav35Skin clock folder.
Therfore I do need the WQVGAsmallSkin. Maybe it is not the best way but it works for me.
Is it possible to added these changes to the pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz extension?

Hence my comment about them not working with the default jivelite as it requires changes to the ClockApplet.

Try installing your images in /home/tc/.jivelite/userpath/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/Clocks/{Analog,Digital,Dot_Matrix,WordClock}

pille
2017-08-30, 11:23
The instructions have been improved and updated to reflect progress so far ... Please see

www.pughx2.com

NWJ

Hi ralphy, NWJ,
after testing again with a new display, everything works like a charme. NWJ's installation instruction is perfect and easy to use.

Thanks for your efforts
Stefan

gsp_steve
2017-08-31, 03:43
Don't Know - give it a go - you will only waste an hour of your time and you will add to our wealth of knowledge ...

NWJ

I have it already tried with a Raspberry Model B but it seems that it did'nt work. So i also rebuild it with a Raspberry 3.

gsp_steve
2017-09-04, 11:02
No luck so far, i followed the instruction but after rebooting the Raspberry 3 it seems that piCorePlayer can't start. It's possible to ping the Pi but no Web connect and also i can't connect by SSH.
So maybe someone can give me a hint what i do wrong!?

gsp_steve
2017-09-04, 23:54
OK it's no working fine with the image file, i don't know what i've done wrong before...

There is now only one problem since i connect my USB Audio Card the Touch stops working!?

piPlayer
2017-09-05, 02:04
There is now only one problem since i connect my USB Audio Card the Touch stops working!?
I had the same problem. Probably the USB Audio Card became the input event number 0 and the touchscreen the input event number 1.

To fix it, you have to change the event number from 0 to 1 in the do_rebootstuff.sh file.

# export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event1
# fi
export HOME=/home/tc
sudo -E -b /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh > /dev/null 2>&1
# sudo -E -b /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
else
fi
fi

piPlayer
2017-09-05, 02:31
I think you mean the Raspberry Pi 1 Model B. Therfore you need the the kernel driver modules for armV6 architecture.
It is possible, that the new pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz only supports armV7 cpu`s.
But you can make your own extension with the right driver modules. With it the waveshare works fine with the Raspi 1.

ralphy
2017-09-05, 04:21
It is possible, that the new pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz only supports armV7 cpu`s.

There is no cpu dependency for the skin package and it's available for both armv6 and armv7.

piPlayer
2017-09-05, 05:21
There is no cpu dependency for the skin package and it's available for both armv6 and armv7.
I thought of the fbtft driver module. I have no other idea why the waveshare do not work with the Raspberry Pi 1.

ElBoz73
2017-09-08, 04:56
Hello nowhinjing,
Thanks a lot for the installation instructions.
I tested it on my rasp pi A and rasp Pi 3, and everything is working fine with my 3.5 Screenshot.

Just one small thing if I can. The jivelite installation is missing. Added this step just after the resize and before the "select the piCorePlayer sourceforge repository".

www.pughx2.com

NWJ

nowhinjing
2017-09-09, 00:37
Hello nowhinjing,
Thanks a lot for the installation instructions.
I tested it on my rasp pi A and rasp Pi 3, and everything is working fine with my 3.5 Screenshot.

Just one small thing if I can. The jivelite installation is missing. Added this step just after the resize and before the "select the piCorePlayer sourceforge repository".

Separate Jivelite install is not required, executing the step :

select the pcp-jivelite__default-wavskin.tcz extension from the repository and click on the Load button.

Installs Jivelite by default as a dependency of loading the skin.

nowhinjing
2017-09-25, 06:20
The same process, as described here

www.pughx2.com

Works for 3.22.

Updated files for 3.22 are now included along with files for 3.21.

Hope it helps someone ...

edwin2006
2017-09-27, 00:31
Thnx for updating

Greg Erskine
2017-09-27, 00:58
Thanks for your update nowhinjing. I have added your page to our projects page.

http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/pcp_projects.shtml

regards
Greg

efthk23
2017-09-27, 01:33
Hi guys... I have a 4 inch waveshare touchscreen and a rpi3 showing image after a lot of years trying and that thanks to pughx2.com . I have one question and one problem though. The problem is that when I have the picoretft3 image burnt into my rpi and try to install LMS it asks for a resize in order to continue. I click yes, the rpi reboots and then..............chaos. The web gui doesn't come up and there is no image on the touchscreen. Can you install LMS successfully with the ready image provided in the site? The question is if it is normal for the touchscreen's transitions to be laggy and not as smooth as the official 7inch. Thx in advance!

nowhinjing
2017-09-29, 04:52
Hi guys... I have a 4 inch waveshare touchscreen and a rpi3 showing image after a lot of years trying and that thanks to pughx2.com . I have one question and one problem though. The problem is that when I have the picoretft3 image burnt into my rpi and try to install LMS it asks for a resize in order to continue. I click yes, the rpi reboots and then..............chaos. The web gui doesn't come up and there is no image on the touchscreen. Can you install LMS successfully with the ready image provided in the site? The question is if it is normal for the touchscreen's transitions to be laggy and not as smooth as the official 7inch. Thx in advance!

Hi,

the image that I posted was just intended to show that everything works ... In order to make it small enough to post, the full size image has been shrunk and truncated. This MAY have led to the type of problem that you have found.

I therefore suggest that you follow the process from scratch, but increase the resize parameter to 200M rather than the 100M described in the write-up. It should only take you a couple of hours at most.

Let us know how you get on.

NWJ

efthk23
2017-10-02, 05:14
Hi,

the image that I posted was just intended to show that everything works ... In order to make it small enough to post, the full size image has been shrunk and truncated. This MAY have led to the type of problem that you have found.

I therefore suggest that you follow the process from scratch, but increase the resize parameter to 200M rather than the 100M described in the write-up. It should only take you a couple of hours at most.

Let us know how you get on.

NWJ

Thx for your reply! I did what you suggested, but with the same result. But now I figured out that the LMS is the main problem. I resized the sd to 200 mb and I did the installation of the LMS. When it rebooted after a successful installation, the problem came back. To see if the LMS was indeed the problem, I uninstalled it and the image returned on my touchscreen! Do you have any idea why is the LMS causing the problem? Thx again!

cubii
2017-10-05, 13:30
I am so close to getting this fully working.

Thank You!

Perfect work here, the best thing is the image on your homepage! Works perfect with a cheap fake waveshare display and an raspi 3.

Some comments:

Remove any mouse (and keyboard?) from the pi, because this made my touchscreen not working (the touch function)

The login for th image is: tc and piCore
not pi and piCore as stated on the homepage.

And a last question: What means :"For those of you who would like to take the easy way out, an image file (compatible with Rpi 2/3) of this set-up with analogue sound only is available for download here.

Why only analogue? Can`t i change it on the settings page of picoreplayer? (obviously did not test it :-))

Greetings
Cubii

cubii
2017-10-05, 14:29
The question is if it is normal for the touchscreen's transitions to be laggy and not as smooth as the official 7inch. Thx in advance!

Have the same problem with lms and the provided image...

Back to your question: The TFT is too slow, the refresh rate is not fast enough (think under 10 picture second) thats why you dont get smooth animations (Hardware limitation)

cubii
2017-10-05, 14:44
But now I figured out that the LMS is the main problem. I resized the sd to 200 mb and I did the installation of the LMS.

Could not go the bed bevore testing thsi, so i made my onw image with the provided installations on the homepage, installed lms and got no screen.
If then lms is stopped, the screen comes back (Jivelite) and i can start lms again without getting problems with jivelite/the touchscreen...

So two workarounds: Start lms by hand or write a script which delays the autostart of lms or closes it and starts it again :-)

piPlayer
2017-10-05, 23:06
Could not go the bed bevore testing thsi, so i made my onw image with the provided installations on the homepage, installed lms and got no screen.
If then lms is stopped, the screen comes back (Jivelite) and i can start lms again without getting problems with jivelite/the touchscreen...

So two workarounds: Start lms by hand or write a script which delays the autostart of lms or closes it and starts it again :-)
I had the same Problem. My solution was to unsquash the pcp-jivelite.tcz package an change the original jivelite.sh file in the folder /opt/jivelite/bin/ like nowhinjing wrote in his tutorial. Then i resquashed the package and put it back to the Pi. In the do_rebootstuff.sh file i leave the path "sudo -E -b /opt/jivelite/bin/jivlite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1" like it was originaly. Then the startup works properly.

ralphy
2017-10-21, 06:39
I had the same Problem. My solution was to unsquash the pcp-jivelite.tcz package an change the original jivelite.sh file in the folder /opt/jivelite/bin/ like nowhinjing wrote in his tutorial. Then i resquashed the package and put it back to the Pi. In the do_rebootstuff.sh file i leave the path "sudo -E -b /opt/jivelite/bin/jivlite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1" like it was originaly. Then the startup works properly.

With the next release of picoreplayer you'll hopefully no longer have to modify do_rebootstuff.sh or pcp-jivelite.tcz.

If /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh exists do_rebootstuff.sh will run it instead of /opt/jivelite/bin/jivlite.sh

Attached is the change I've been using in the next release for whenever it's ready.

--- do_rebootstuff.sh.orig
+++ do_rebootstuff.sh
@@ -664,7 +664,10 @@
fi
export HOME=/home/tc
- if [ -x /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh ]; then
+ if [ -x /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh ]; then
+ echo "${GREEN}Done.${NORMAL}"
+ sudo -E -b /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
+ elif [ -x /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh ]; then
sudo -E -b /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
else

ralphy
2017-10-21, 07:04
The wav35skin now supports VU meter selection.

Currently, the original Logitech white and black and Kolossos's Oval VUs are available.

For new installs, you must install one of the 3 VU packages in addition to the pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz.

VU_Meter_Kolossos_Oval-wav35skin.tcz
VU_Meter_Logitech_Black-wav35skin.tcz
VU_Meter_Logitech_White-wav35skin.tcz

If you don't the skin will crash when you change the Now Playing screen to VU meter.

To enable the new VU meters for a current install, you need to reinstall pcp-jivelite_wav35skin.tcz and one of the VUs above.
The original wav35skin tcz includes the Logitech Black VU and cannot be changed.

Make sure on the tweaks page that the Jivelite VU meter dropdown matches the VU meter package you installed.
If not, choose it from the list and click the Save button.

rmac321
2017-11-30, 11:30
NWJ,

Thanks for putting together your tutorial. It took me a few tries to get it working - not your fault as I tend to improvise, but I eventually got there. I made some false assumptions and was playing with various settings the first few times through to see what they would do, so I had to start over a few times for my failed experiments. I also tried on A PiZero first instead of on a Pi3. I still don't quite have it working on a PiZeroW or PiZero(1.3), but I'll make a separate post about that.

A couple notes to help others and for possible editing of the tutorial:
The tutorial works with 3.22 on a Pi3. Is it possible to edit the title of the thread to reflect the range of versions covered within the thread? It would make it clearer that you have kept updating the tutorial for the new versions of piCorePlayer as they come out.
After making the new sd card, it would be worth pointing to the link for making a newconfig.cfg file and reminding people to add that at the same time they add or edit the cmdline.txt and config.txt files for easy wireless setup.
Like someone else in this thread, I didn't realize that adding the wav35 default extension would add all the rest of the jivelite dependencies. In retrospect, it makes sense that it would, but I kept installing jivelite first which may have caused some of my issues. It may be worth adding a note at that spot in the tutorial that it is unnecessary and potentially counterproductive to install jivelite first.
Also, the name of the default wav35 extension has changed slightly, so it isn't obvious which of the wav35 extensions to add. Again, it is noted in this thread that the default will add other extensions, but the default wav35 extension name no longer matches the specific name in the tutorial. For others trying the tutorial - just pick the one with default and wav35 in the name.
After editing the bootlocal.sh, you have the user go to Tweaks and check that the "yes" box for jivelite autostart is checked and then click "reset". If "No" is currently checked, they need to first check the "Yes" button and then click "Set Autostart". If you click "Reset" first the "Yes" radio button selection does not stick. It may be redundant to click "Reset" after clicking "Set Autostart" but I did both.
Prior to the calibration section, you suggest adding a mouse or keyboard for the initial setup. It should be noted in the calibration section that you need to remove the mouse before the calibration or the mouse may interfere with the calibration routine or cause it to fail.

This last suggestion is far more tedious, so feel free to ignore. It would be nice if the screenshots had highlighting to show what the edited differences are between the original and the modified versions of the file. Most of them were easy enough to see, but the addition of the comment tags for a few lines in the do_rebootstuff.sh file were a little tougher to discern. I'm one of those that tends to do the editing instead of just replacing the files since I like to see what the changes are so I can learn and understand how it is all working.

Thanks again!

And thanks again to the whole piCorePlayer Team. I haven't said it lately cause it just works and I'm not on the forum that often anymore!

rmac321
2017-11-30, 11:38
[Solved]

Has anyone made this work on a PiZero either a W or a non-wireless 1.3? On a non-W, I'm not getting past the white screen. On a PiZeroW everything comes together except the final jivelite screen. I'm stuck on the crond time disparity message. I note someone else mentioned this in a different thread on a standard pi and solved it by rotating the screen setting and resetting jivelite. That doesn't solve it for me. The screen is working nicely otherwise and the calibration routine in NJW's tutorial worked nicely, it just fails to display jivelite.

There must be a setting I'm missing, but I'm not sure what it is since the screen itself seems to be working ok. Perhaps the jivelite.tcz doesn't work on a PiZero?
FWIW, jivelite works on the same hardware using raspbian. I just can't quite get there in piCorePlayer which would be perfect on a PiZero.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks!

edit- looks like it does work, see next post

rmac321
2017-12-01, 22:22
15th (or so) time is a charm...
After failing several attempts to get a PiZero set up with a 3.5in tft, PiCorePlayer and Jivelite, I took a new try at it with a 5" hdmi touchscreen. Was able to get it working with the hdmi screen and eventually even managed to get the touchscreen calibrated. Starting from that sd card, I added the necessary bits from NWJ's tutorial for the 3.5" gpio screen and whadayaknow, it works.

I'll take another run at a fresh install to see if I can figure out what I was doing wrong, but thought it worth noting that nothing is missing from jivelite or PiCorePlayer. They are up to the task for the PiZeroW.

cubii
2017-12-04, 14:26
15th (or so) time is a charm...
I'll take another run at a fresh install to see if I can figure out what I was doing wrong, but thought it worth noting that nothing is missing from jivelite or PiCorePlayer. They are up to the task for the PiZeroW.

Please keep us updated, i want to switch from a raspberry 3 to a raspberry zero (without w). Just switching sd cards is not working:confused:

rmac321
2017-12-04, 21:48
Please keep us updated, i want to switch from a raspberry 3 to a raspberry zero (without w). Just switching sd cards is not working:confused:

Switching cards won't work with piCorePlayer as it creates a custom kernel based on which pi you start it up in.

I can report that I have successfully made both a PiZeroW and a PiZero1.3(non-wireless) work with pCP, Jivelite and a 3.5" TFT.

For a PiZeroW, stick closely to NWJ's tutorial. I made some notes a few posts back as suggestions for updating the tutorial. You may find them helpful.

For a non-wireless 1.3 I got it working with a cheap micro-usb LAN adapter with 3 USB ports. You won't need the newconfig.cfg file. Instead, after you image your sd card but before you remove it from your computer, add a line to the onboot.lst file. On my debian system that is in the 50MB volume in the folder /media/<user>/<uuid>/tce/. You will probably need to use sudo or log in as root to edit the file. Add a new line at the bottom: net-usb-4.9.50-pcpCore.tcz
Save the changes and close the file. Make your changes to cmdline.txt and config.txt from the tutorial. Put the card in your pi and power up. You should get a network connection very quickly. Follow the rest of NJW's tutorial.

I'm still working on getting the non-wireless Pi to connect using an enc28j60 module. If I figure it out, I'll report back. If anyone else has gotten an enc28j60 working with piCorePlayer, I'd love to hear how you got there.

cubii
2017-12-07, 14:39
Hi

Switching cards won't work with piCorePlayer as it creates a custom kernel based on which pi you start it up in.

Yeah, but was worth a try.

I can report that I have successfully made both a PiZeroW and a PiZero1.3(non-wireless) work with pCP, Jivelite and a 3.5" TFT.

Great,but i am stucked at: "starting jivelite... Done."
So the screen is working, but jivelite is not starting. Any tips?
I am using a pi zero + WIfi Adapter and piCore Player 2.21

You won't need the newconfig.cfg file.
Why?Because of wifi? i have a wifi adapter attached

Thanks for your answer and tips,
Cubii

rmac321
2017-12-07, 16:16

Cubii

Cubii,
Sorry, I must have misunderstood your plans. I thought you were trying to use a non-W with a wired adapter (enc28j60), not a wireless adapter.

Yes, if you want wireless, use the newconfig,cfg file.

There will need to be further tinkering to use the enc28j60 with a 3.5" TFT as they are both spi devices. My current project is an absolutely minimalist-headless piCorePlayer for the garage: PiZero1.3 + enc28j60 + cheap i2c DAC.

nowhinjing
2017-12-08, 01:50
Hi

Yeah, but was worth a try.

Great,but i am stucked at: "starting jivelite... Done."
So the screen is working, but jivelite is not starting. Any tips?

Thanks for your answer and tips,
Cubii

Jivelite not starting is usually due to dorebootstuff not having been modified - 1st thing to check ....

cubii
2017-12-08, 14:48
hi 16rmac321 and nowhinjing,

Jivelite not starting is usually due to dorebootstuff not having been modified - 1st thing to check ....

Jivelite is starting, but on the wrong monitor: if i have attached a hdmi monitor, and use the normal do_rebootstuff.sh file, jivelite starts on that monitor.

But if i change the do_rebootstuff.sh and the jivelite.sh from the tutorial, I'm stucked on the crond time disparity message.. which is showing on the touchscreen...

EDIT: It was a Permission problem:

I tried it with a raspi 1 and had the same result as with the raspi zero without w.
So i tried to start jivelite by hand (disabled autostart and started it via ssh: sudo SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon SDL_FBDEV=/dev/fb1 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite &
) and it worked .
So the solution is to change the permission of jivelite.sh with:

cd /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/
sudo chmod -R 777 jivelite.sh

I coied the file via winscp as suggested in the tutorial, but it seems the permissions were not correct.

Now i need to calibrate it.:D

mongrel
2017-12-27, 05:22
Hello,

Thanks to @nowhinjing for the effort to collate the information necessary to make this work.

I have:

* RPi 2
* Waveshare 3.5" (B) (https://www.waveshare.com/product/3.5inch-rpi-lcd-b.htm)
* pCP 3.22

I have successfully modified the files as required and I have Jivelite showing on the Waveshare screen and touch is working, however the video colours are inverted (i.e., black is white and colours are negative).

Any suggestions for resolving this, please?

The screen works fine with the Waveshare Raspbian image, but with pCP, everything is reversed all the time, including the boot screen (white background). Symptoms are the same with a different RPi, different power supply and different SD card.

I can't see anything obvious in the files and I have tried adding a mode to the fbset command, but I'm working in the dark. There isn't any useful documentation on the Busybox implementation of fbset that I can find, so it may not support the mode options that the full-fat fbset does. I also note that the colour depth setting (fbset -depth=32) is probably not doing anything useful with this screen – it only supports 65536 colours – but changing it has no effect.

Edit to add: Great success using the waveshare35b overlay. I'll write it up and add a link.

streampunk
2018-01-23, 11:38
Thanks so much for the tutorial. This is the kind of stuff I'd say that I wouldn't have achieved by myself in a 1000 years...

An addition which might be helpful to all that use USB devices with the Raspi (there are several posts pointing out that plugging in a mouse or a keyboard during the setup process causes some confusion with the event numbers).

The original do_rebootstuff.sh had some lines that dynamically detect the event number and that are commented out in the tutorial which hardcodes "event0" instead of "$eventno":

# export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
# fi

This is because the search pattern "FT5406" only applies to certain hardware componenents. But if you know the "name" of your 3.5 touchscreen, you can easily adapt the dynamic event number logic.
You get the name by typing

cat /proc/bus/input/devices
at the prompt (via Putty). In my case for example (a 20 Euro display from Amazon) it reads (no USB device plugged in):

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0000 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
N: Name="ADS7846 Touchscreen"
P: Phys=spi0.1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc/3f204000.spi/spi_master/spi0/spi0.1/input/input0
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse0 event0
B: PROP=0
B: EV=b
B: KEY=400 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=1000003

So if I put the name "ADS7846 Touchscreen" into do_rebootstuff.sh, everything works perfectly, no matter what USB devices are plugged in. This is the code (which also includes ralphy's patch from post #64:

eventno=$( cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/ADS7846 Touchscreen/{for(a=0;a>=0;a++){getline;{if(/mouse/==1){ print $NF;exit 0;}}}}')
if [ x"" != x"$eventno" ];then
export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/$eventno
fi
export HOME=/home/tc
# if [ -x /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh ]; then
if [ -x /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh ]; then
sudo -E -b /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
elif [ -x /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh ]; then
else
fi
fi

Best regards
Martin

streampunk
2018-01-26, 05:06
Hi,
for all that are using the touchscreen display in self constructed mobile devices (i.e. running on battery power), it would be great to have an option to put the screen and its backlight into standby after a certain time.
It seems that this is not really trivial, as the touchscreen needs to be present at boot time and can't simply be switched off and on after booting. There are lots of threads on this, e.g. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=120968&start=150
The power saving mode integrated into PCP/jivelite only works with the official display.
I found the pinout here: https://diyhacking.com/raspberry-pi-touchscreen-lcd-tutorial/ - its for the 3.2 Inch display, but I suppose that its identical for the 3.5.
Has anybody succeeded in finding a solution for a power saving mode for the touchscreen?
Best regards
Martin

rmac321
2018-01-26, 14:53
Does anyone have a 3.5" TFT up and running on a pCP with LMS also installed? I've run into some weird issues trying to add LMS to a working player.

I added a USB hard drive and enabled LMS and had it working, but when I rebooted after enabling LMS autostart, the TFT no longer starts up when Jivelite loads. Here's where it gets weird. Took me a while to figure it out, but If I stop LMS the screen comes back to life. Then I can start LMS and all works fine, screen works, touch works, DAC works, etc. Basically everythings good until you restart and then I have to stop LMS for the screen to start again.

I tried changing the order of things in dorebootstuff to try to load Jivelite first, but I totally borked the system and locked it up during boot. I'll keep tinkering with that, but in the meantime I thought I'd check in here to see if I'm missing something obvious or if anybody else has seen this behavior. I don't understand why LMS would prevent the screen from receiving the Jivelite output.

Current setup is pCP 3.22, Pi3, pHatDAC, 3.5"TFT. Hardware all works fine without LMS enabled.
Be glad to share any settings that might help.

edit:
I can't see how to change the order of things in dorebootstuff that would solve this. LMS needs to be running before squeezelite and squeezelite needs to be running before Jivelite. When I comment out the null redirect of the jivelite.sh command, my hdmi monitor shows a recurring Jivelite 0.1.0 as if the command is being called repeatedly.

rmac321
2018-01-26, 15:05
Another issue I'm having with the current LMS/TFT setup is that if I leave LMS autostart set to no, it will almost never start LMS manually. I don't know if this is caused by a clash with my main LMS server, or if it is an issue with my particular pCP setup. Is pCP finicky about starting LMS manually? Is this another clash between my TFT and LMS. It seems like a bizarre conflict if that is the cause, but it is the common thread.

streampunk
2018-01-26, 17:31
Did you try what I described in #76? This should make sure that the display is always properly addressed, no matter what other devices are plugged in.
Regards
Martin

rmac321
2018-01-26, 17:51
Did you try what I described in #76? This should make sure that the display is always properly addressed, no matter what other devices are plugged in.
Regards
Martin

Martin,
I saw your post, but I don't think I have an event number conflict. Maybe I misunderstand what is happening.

Here's what I believe is happening. When LMS is allowed to autostart, it seems to prevent the switchover from the hdmi std output to the TFT. The hdmi screen tells me that Jivelite was started and reports "Done", but that is the output from the dorebootstuff script, not the jivelite script which is supposed to have been called by the dorebootstuff script. I think the jivelite script is being called, but doesn't get run if LMS is already started.

When I manually stop LMS, jivelite is apparently actually started and the switchover takes place. Then I can manually start LMS back up and all works as it should.

I think LMS getting started is preventing the jivelite.sh script from being executed for some reason.

piPlayer
2018-01-27, 08:11
Hi,
for all that are using the touchscreen display in self constructed mobile devices (i.e. running on battery power), it would be great to have an option to put the screen and its backlight into standby after a certain time.
It seems that this is not really trivial, as the touchscreen needs to be present at boot time and can't simply be switched off and on after booting. There are lots of threads on this, e.g. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=120968&start=150
The power saving mode integrated into PCP/jivelite only works with the official display.
I found the pinout here: https://diyhacking.com/raspberry-pi-touchscreen-lcd-tutorial/ - its for the 3.2 Inch display, but I suppose that its identical for the 3.5.
Has anybody succeeded in finding a solution for a power saving mode for the touchscreen?
Best regards
Martin
In the past i spended some time to that problem and i cant find a solution. I think there is no way to control the backlight of that cheap displays. The controler chip is direct wired to 5V and has no backlight pin. The hdmi versions of the waveshare displays have a mechanical backlightswitch. For that ones you can found tutorials for switching off the backlight via gpio.

rmac321
2018-01-27, 13:32
update on the failure of the TFT screen to start when LMS is autostarted

When LMS is allowed to autostart, /dev/fb1 is not created:

crw-rw---- 1 root staff 29, 0 Dec 31 1969 /dev/fb0
When LMS is not autostarted, /dev/fb1 exists and jivelite starts on the tft

crw-rw---- 1 root staff 29, 0 Dec 31 1969 /dev/fb0
crw-rw---- 1 root staff 29, 1 Jan 27 13:42 /dev/fb1
I guess I have a chicken/egg problem. I don't yet know/understand enough about the framebuffer creation process, so I don't know what is causing this issue. Why is the starting of LMS in the dorebootsuff script causing the fb1 framebuffer to not get created? I don't see anything in the LMS portion of the script that would effect the creation of the framebuffer. Any ideas?

rmac321
2018-01-27, 21:30
Another datapoint in my tft not starting when lms is autostarted saga.

fbtft doesn't appear in dmesg unless LMS autostart is off or if LMS is manually stopped. Here is an example of fbtft finally showing up after I manually stop LMS. Note nothing happens after 20 seconds until at 254 seconds I manually stopped LMS and then fbtft is enabled, /dev/fb1 is created and jivelite finally breaks free from its 3 second while loop and starts the screen.

[ 15.263634] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
[ 15.344685] fuse init (API version 7.26)
[ 20.205918] brcmfmac: power management disabled
[ 20.217741] brcmfmac: power management disabled
[ 254.930465] fbtft: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 254.932766] flexfb: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 254.942131] fbtft_device: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 254.943311] ads7846 spi0.1: ads7846 spi0.1 1000kHz 8 bits mode=0x00
[ 254.943349] bcm2708_fb soc:fb: soc:fb id=-1 pdata? no

piPlayer
2018-01-28, 00:28
We talked about this problem a few weeks ago.
Maybe my solution will help: link (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107366-picoreplayer-3-11-waveshare-3-5-TFT-jivelite-Raspberry-Pi-2B&p=896587&viewfull=1#post896587)

rmac321
2018-01-28, 18:31
piplayer,
Thanks, for the link. I have to admit, I missed that or forgot about it as it didn't apply to my situation yet back when I read this thread the first couple times last month.

The bad news is it didn't work. I unsquashed pcp-jivelite.tcz, edited the script, resquashed and replaced. Switched the line in do_rebootstuff back to that script. On reboot, same symptoms. I verified that the revised script was persistent. Maybe I need to undo some of the other NJW edits to the do_rebootstuff script, but I still don't see what in that script is keeping the framebuffer from being created and the jivelite binary from starting.

Bottom line: What in the LMS section of do_rebootstuff.sh causes the Jivelite section from not running properly? I just don't see a culprit.

rmac321
2018-01-28, 20:30
Additional edits to do_rebootstuff.sh fix the symptom, but don't explain the cause.

By adding a line that stops LMS at the beginning of the Jivelite section of the do_rebootstuff script

sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/slimserver stop
jivelite starts after about a 20 second delay.
Since that worked, I added a line at the end of the Jivelite section to start LMS back up

sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/slimserver start
That re-breaks it. Adding that to The Jivelite portion or even adding it at the very end of do_rebootstuff causes jivelite to never start.
I tried adding a sleep command before LMS is restarted, but even sleeping for 2 minutes doesn't allow jivelite to start.
The only way I've found to restart LMS is to call a separate script to restart LMS.

sudo /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/start_lms.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
I still need someone who understands linux better than me to explain why Jivelite doesn't start unless LMS is stopped and why issuing a command in do_rebootstuff to restart LMS after jivelite is called still prevents Jivelite from starting.

piPlayer
2018-01-29, 07:59
The last idea I have is to disable slimserver autostart and put a startup command in a user command line on the picorplayer web interface. In my opinion, these commands are executed at the very end of do_rebootstuff.sh. At this time Jivelite should be up and running. But I dont know if it works.

Greg Erskine
2018-01-29, 14:03
FYI

[Main page] in [Beta] mode > [Diagnostics] > [Boot] shows you the boot process.

Current order in do_rebootstuff.sh: LMS, User commands, Jivelite

regards
Greg

rmac321
2018-01-29, 14:47
Greg,
Thanks. I do need reminding about that page as it is a nice summary of all the various things to look through. In this case it doesn't give me any more insight, it just confirms what I'm seeing looking at dmesg and such via ssh.
I'm just baffled as to why the line
SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon SDL_FBDEV=/dev/fb1 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite & doesn't get executed if LMS is running. It doesn't matter if that line is called from a separate script, if it is called before slimserver is started or after. If slimserver is called in do_rebootstuff, the framebuffer doesn't get created and jivelite doesn't start unless slimserver is subsequently stopped. I've tried all the different combinations I can think of. I've added delays that have no effect except to make the parts that work take longer. I've tried to start squeezelite and jivelite before starting lms, but the common denominator is if the line
sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/slimserver start is allowed to execute inside do_rebootstuff, the line to create the framebuffer and start jivelite will never finish executing until slimserver is stopped. It just sits there waiting until slimserver is stopped and then it loads jivelite immediately.

FWIW, if I remove the parts of the line calling jivelite that create the framebufffer, then jivelite is started and output to the hdmi monitor, so jivelite isn't the culprit. There is some conflict between slimserver being called and the creation of the framebuffer. No doubt I'm missing something obvious. Unfortunately it isn't obvious to me...

rmac321
2018-01-29, 15:03
FWIW, I do want to confirm that I have a workaround and that is to stop and restart LMS in the scripts. It makes everything take longer to get started. Plus the stop and restart of LMS defeats the power-on options in pCP so you have to add another line to the scripts to start the player once everything is finally running.

Basically, it makes the normally quick and graceful pCP a little clunky when trying to make an LMS/TFT combo.

piPlayer
2018-01-30, 00:16
FWIW, if I remove the parts of the line calling jivelite that create the framebufffer, then jivelite is started and output to the hdmi monitor, so jivelite isn't the culprit. There is some conflict between slimserver being called and the creation of the framebuffer. No doubt I'm missing something obvious. Unfortunately it isn't obvious to me...
If the HDMI output works, then the framebuffer copy from fb0 to fb1 may be the solution for you. Before I found out the solution with the SDL_Videodriver, I had this tool (https://github.com/AndrewFromMelbourne/raspi2fb) to copy the contents of the HDMI output (/dev/fb0) into the Waveshare display (/dev/fb1). But if /dev/fb1 is not created, it probably will not work either. But it's worth a try.
I installed the program after this tutorial: link (https://github.com/AndrewFromMelbourne/raspi2fb/blob/master/README.md) and put the line "sudo raspi2fb --daemon --fps 20" into bootlocal.sh to start the daemon in background.

rmac321
2018-01-30, 08:12
piplayer,
Thanks. I'll take a look, but as you said, if fb1 doesn't get created, then there won't be a framebuffer to copy to. It looks like I'll need to make an extension out of the raspi2fb files to test it, so when I have a chance I'll play with it.

rmac321
2018-01-30, 08:52
Edit: My apologies to Greg and others. At least twice Greg has pointed me at the diagnostics page and at least twice I have missed that the tabs change when on that page and there is a lot more info available there than just the logs shown at first. I will spend a little more time on that page to see what I can discern. So, please don't admonish me too harshly...

I'll leave my question here in case anyone still wants to try to point me to an answer, but I will dig through more of the diagnostics info to see if I can answer these myself.

Original Post:
I have a couple questions about some sections/items in do_rebootstuff.sh and some observations from playing with various settings in pCP. I'm hoping if I get a better understanding of what is happening, I can better diagnose my setup. If anybody has any insight on the following, I'd be grateful.

Starting from a working pCP with LMS set to autostart:
1a) Reset LMS autostart to "No" and reboot. When I subsequently attempt to start LMS from the LMS page on the pCP interface, LMS never starts. The output window never goes beyond:
[ INFO ] Starting LMS...
[ INFO ]
1b) Same scenario but I issue the startup command from a ssh/terminal.
sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/slimserver start I get the response:
sudo: /usr/local/etc/init.d/slimserver: command not found
Why is slimserver not in init.d if autostart is set to No?
When/how during initialization is slimserver placed in init.d when autostart is set to Yes?

2) What is the purpose of the section in do_rebootstuff.sh
if [ "$A_S_LMS" = "Enabled" ]; then
echo -n "${BLUE}Starting auto start LMS... ${NORMAL}"
pcp_auto_start_lms
fi
That section is after the section that actually starts LMS, so I don't understand its purpose. When LMS autostart is set to Yes, this section of the script is not run, or at least it's echo statements are never output to the screen.

Thanks in advance!

rmac321
2018-01-30, 09:42
Answer to question 2
I think I can answer question 2. It looks like $A_S_LMS refers to the "Auto start LMS" setting in the tweaks page rather than the similarly named setting to Auto Start LMS itself on the LMS page. IOW, it is the setting to tell LMS what to play on power-up.

rmac321
2018-01-30, 09:59
Eureka! Now that I found it, it's kind of a duh!
The solution to getting the framebuffer to be created promptly is in the bootlocal.sh script. When jivelite was enabled, the modprobe settings were placed at the end of bootlocal.sh after the call to do_rebootstuff.sh, so since they aren't called yet the framebuffer isn't created until after do_rebootstuff is finished in its entirety. Moving the modprobe commands to execute before do_rebootstuff.sh causes the framebuffer to be created and the screen to switch over and the rest of the boot/setup messages are then displayed on the TFT.

I still don't know why slimserver needed to be stopped under the prior circumstances, but moving the modprobe commands to precede do_rebootstuff.sh negates the problem.

Hope this helps others

Greg Erskine
2018-01-30, 15:10
Great to see you found the solution! :D

100 points for persistence.

I have a feeling not many people use a screen/jivelite on their LMS, it's not a combination I use or test.

Look at [Tweaks] > [Auto start tweaks] > Auto start LMS > help

Auto start LMS and Auto start favorites tweaks were added to pCP a long time ago and have nothing to do with the pCP LMS installation. In retrospect, I can see how the terminology is now confusing, but at the time having LMS on pCP was not envisaged.

regards
Greg

rmac321
2018-01-30, 15:49
Greg,
re: the 2nd autostart. Yea, when I realized it followed FAV, I recalled that they were in that order on the tweaks page and realized that was probably what it was.

re: TFT without LMS onboard. PiZeroW, TFT and picoreplayer make a great combo for a little desktop now-playing screen. Bonus is add a DAC and it can play as well, if you don't mind the occasional glitches of wireless.

As to the addition of LMS, I don't know if I really need LMS and TFT on same device, but it became a bit of a mission and learning experience to figure it out. Was thinking of making a little desktop player for my wife for her office. Could be nice for travel. I'd also like to use a picoreplayer/LMS solution for the car, but the lack of an internet connection will make LMS less friendly there. Mostly just exploring what is possible while I mull over what to do with it...

Thanks again for the nudges in the right direction.

piPlayer
2018-01-30, 23:49
Hello rmac,

Congratulations, your endurance to find the problem has paid off.
I had the combination of LMS and TFT working before nowhinjing did his tutorial. My workflow was a little different than the tutorial. In my case, I manually wrote the entries in bootlocal.sh. That's why my boot order is right.

streampunk
2018-01-31, 08:05
Congratulations! I've just setup up PCP + LMS from the scratch on a Zero W with a cheap China 3.5 touchscreen. Using nowhinjing's tutorial (not his files, they didn't work for me), everything works out of the box - great!

streampunk
2018-02-01, 09:33
In the past i spended some time to that problem and i cant find a solution. I think there is no way to control the backlight of that cheap displays. The controler chip is direct wired to 5V and has no backlight pin. The hdmi versions of the waveshare displays have a mechanical backlightswitch. For that ones you can found tutorials for switching off the backlight via gpio.
I've asked the vendor, and he answered:

Unfortunately, the backlight can't be switchd off, but you can put the display into standby mode in order to reduce power consumption when running on battery power.
Please have a look at:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Power_Management_Signaling
I'm far from being an expert, but I suppose that this only applies when the display is used wit an x server?
Perhaps somebody has more knowledge than me to evaluate this?
Best regards
Martin

bvlet
2018-02-05, 18:30
I just wanted to confirm that this solution is also working with piCorePlayer 3.22 on my pi Zero W, connected to a cheap (8 euro) Chinese version of the waveshare TFT!

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/3-5-Inch-TFT-LCD-Moudle-For-Raspberry-Pi-2-Model-B-RPI-B-raspberry-pi/32707058182.html

I had to modify some things, but now it's working perfectly with a USB DAC!
If there's any interest I can share my modified files.

Thanks for helping me to set this up!

Regards, Bart

patrick31698
2018-02-05, 23:23
Any experiences on this TFTs with the first generation Pis?

piPlayer
2018-02-06, 05:04
Any experiences on this TFTs with the first generation Pis?
The pinout an the touch controller of the linked Chinese display is identical to the Waveshare 3.5 "and 4" displays.
I believe in China they are cloning their own products. :rolleyes:
So it should work with the tutorial from nowhinjing.
I have a 4 inch China display identical to the 4 inch from Waveshare in operation on a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B.
The performance is more than enough.

patrick31698
2018-02-06, 07:11
I have a 4 inch China display identical to the 4 inch from Waveshare in operation on a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B.
The performance is more than enough.

Great! I have two Pi 1 B lying around here. i always thought of building a fancy WifiAlarm clock. So i think i will give it a try

wl1
2018-02-06, 12:37
How do!

I followed the instructions for the getting my Official RPi Display working with the RPi and piCorePlayer. It is working of a fashion, just the precision of the screen, particularly at the edges, is not working.

I looked at the instructions for calibrating (the albeit different) display from here :- http://www.pughx2.com/picore320.html

and got this error:- ""Open fbdevice: no such file or error""

Response to the Cat command
tc@Boom2:~/www$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0000 Vendor=0000 Product=0000 Version=0000
N: Name="FT5406 memory based driver"
P: Phys=
S: Sysfs=/devices/virtual/input/input0
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse0 event0
B: PROP=2
B: EV=b
B: KEY=400 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=2608000 3

I have tried searching for what I assume is a ts_calibrate file that is being invoked - and I can't find it. (Learning linux commands as i go - and Locate did not work for this).

I have no experience here - so I am likely missing something simple.....everything else went really well :-)

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks,

piPlayer
2018-02-06, 13:44
... for the getting my Official RPi Display working with the RPi and piCorePlayer ...

For the official 7" RPI Display You have to follow this instruction: link (https://github.com/ralph-irving/tcz-jivelite/blob/master/README.md)

sbp
2018-02-06, 14:46
How do!

I followed the instructions for the getting my Official RPi Display working with the RPi and piCorePlayer. It is working of a fashion, just the precision of the screen, particularly at the edges, is not working.

I have no experience here - so I am likely missing something simple.....everything else went really well :-)

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks,

Hi. I notice that you mention the Official RPi Display. When you are using this display you simply need to attach it and then enable Jivelite. This screen is working fine directly "out of the box" with pCP. The touch function is already calibrated.
So there is really no need for you to mess with these commands and scripts etc.

This is the official screen: https://www.modmypi.com/pis-and-peripherals-1139/raspberry-pi-7-touchscreen-display-official - and it is the only screen that is officially supported by pCP. Our problem is that it is impossible for us to manage and support all available "third party" screens.

wl1
2018-02-06, 15:35
This is the official screen: https://www.modmypi.com/pis-and-peripherals-1139/raspberry-pi-7-touchscreen-display-official - and it is the only screen that is officially supported by pCP. Our problem is that it is impossible for us to manage and support all available "third party" screens.
Yes, thatís the Display I purchased.

The previous poster linked to a complicated process, but I guess you have it integrated now. Any extensions I need st all? Is joggler the correct selection?

Iím not sure why my touchscreen feels so difficult to use. If there is nothing I can do to calibrate - are other Official Displays showing similar behaviours.?

Iím having to tip toe around it, softly pressing it. And volume button (bottom right) is particularly irksome.

Thanks for your responses.

Greg Erskine
2018-02-06, 16:12
hi wl1,

All the pCP developers use the "official" Raspberry Pi screen, so you should expect perfect results.

I recommend you restart from scratch.

1. Burn new pCP image on SD card.
2. Go to [ Tweaks ] > [ Jivelite Setup ] > [ Install ]
3a. If prompted, expand SD card. (100 MB will be enough, wait till it reboots a couple of times)
3b. Go to [ Tweaks ] > [ Jivelite Setup ] > [ Install ] (yes again, it didn't install before)

On Jivelite screen:
4. Select Language
5. Select Grid Skin (800 x 480) ( or Joggler)

Note: If you select some weird resolution you may end up with unusual results.

People sometimes forget to come back and do Step 3b. I can see the slightly illogical installation process.

regards
Greg

streampunk
2018-02-09, 04:43
Eureka! Now that I found it, it's kind of a duh!
The solution to getting the framebuffer to be created promptly is in the bootlocal.sh script. When jivelite was enabled, the modprobe settings were placed at the end of bootlocal.sh after the call to do_rebootstuff.sh, so since they aren't called yet the framebuffer isn't created until after do_rebootstuff is finished in its entirety. Moving the modprobe commands to execute before do_rebootstuff.sh causes the framebuffer to be created and the screen to switch over and the rest of the boot/setup messages are then displayed on the TFT.

I still don't know why slimserver needed to be stopped under the prior circumstances, but moving the modprobe commands to precede do_rebootstuff.sh negates the problem.

Hope this helps others

Thanks a lot - it really helped me, I'd run into the same problem.

noise11
2018-03-16, 23:46
hi there! I'm trying to use this guide with a 4inch waveshare instead of the 3.5inch, and I'm not sure if is that the problem or what the problem is, but all I get is a white screen in tft, and in the hdmi output "starting jivelite... done" and in yellow letters "trying to mount /dev/sda1. done." "newconfig.cfg not found on mmcblk0p1. done, I also tried to copy the waveshare overlay.dtb to mmcblk0p1 via "winscp" but i don't have permission to paste files over there. what i'm missing? so frustrated

Greg Erskine
2018-03-17, 01:28
hi noise11,

hi there! I'm trying to use this guide with a 4inch waveshare instead of the 3.5inch, and I'm not sure if is that the problem or what the problem is, but all I get is a white screen in tft,

I have read that revision one of the one of the screen boards had this problem. Don't know if it applies to yours or not.

and in the hdmi output "starting jivelite... done" and in yellow letters "trying to mount /dev/sda1. done." "newconfig.cfg not found on mmcblk0p1. done,

Standard boot messages. No problem here.

I also tried to copy the waveshare overlay.dtb to mmcblk0p1 via "winscp" but i don't have permission to paste files over there. what i'm missing? so frustrated

mmcblk0p1 is a fat partition so no permission problem possible but mmcblk0p1 is unmounted after pCP has booted. (hint: m1)

List of pCP shortcuts: http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/pcp_aliases.shtml

regards
Greg

noise11
2018-03-17, 05:29
Hi, just checked and the screen is rev.2 and makes sense since i bought it last week, I'll try starting over again today maybe I failed following the guide as it is, I'll appreciate any suggestion.

noise11
2018-03-17, 19:04
thank you guys, but i just returned this crap lcd to amazon and bought an official 7 inch lcd and a nice bamboo made stand.

piPlayer
2018-03-20, 03:52
thank you guys, but i just returned this crap lcd ...
The 4" Waveshare display works very well if you follow the instructions of nowhinjing step by step.
You do not need a waveshare overlay, but you have to load the required fbtft driver so that the display starts up when booting.
The display is not "crap", you just have to know what to do.

noise11
2018-03-20, 22:08
The 4" Waveshare display works very well if you follow the instructions of nowhinjing step by step.
You do not need a waveshare overlay, but you have to load the required fbtft driver so that the display starts up when booting.
The display is not "crap", you just have to know what to do. actually that's what i did in repeat for a whole day, following the guide step by step, and trying again and again, in my book a good product doesnt have to be that hard to make it work, and theres lots of guides and threads over the internet with more frustration than success, in the other hand the raspberry pi 7 inch works out of the box.

noise11
2018-03-20, 22:13
The display is not "crap", you just have to know what to do. and just out of curiosity i tried the raspbian image provided in the mini cd included with the lcd... didn't work lol.

piPlayer
2018-03-21, 02:36
... in the other hand the raspberry pi 7 inch works out of the box.
Yes and only this display is officially supported by picoreplayer. To get all other displays working is much more difficult and requires some linux knowledge. But I have both the original Waveshare 4 inch display and a china clone called "4 inch rpi display" working well with picoreplayer.
Therefore, I can only imagine that either your display was broken or you did something wrong.

mongrel
2018-04-15, 02:24
Hello,

Has anyone successfully configured pCP 3.5.0 for use with the Waveshare 3.5(B) display?

I have no problem with pCP 3.22, but I cannot get the touchscreen to work correctly with pCP 3.5.0, using the same configuration routine. I can run ts_calibrate without a problem, but ts_test doesn't work and neither does the touch control in Jivelite.

When I run ts_test, the initial display is correct, showing the three buttons at the top and the 'cross-in-a-square' target. However, the first tap on the screen makes the target disappear (I think it sends it off the screen) and there is no response to tapping any of the three buttons. The feedback to the ssh terminal shows sane values, I think Ė the co-ordinates are roughly correct for where I tap the screen Ė and there is continuous feedback showing, so the touchscreen remains responsive and ts_test is running.

If I reboot pCP into Jivelite, I see the initial setup display for language selection, but wherever I tap the screen, the language list scrolls one page down, so after two taps I'm at the bottom of the language list. At this point, further taps don't change anything on the display. It isn't possible to complete initial setup of Jivelite.

The calibration results are correctly saved after running ts_calibrate. The problem is not simply a matter of reversing the axes on the touchscreen Ė for example, I can't tap the top left corner to simulate a tap on a different corner.

To sum up:
- no problem in pCP 3.22;
- display works correctly in both pCP 3.22 and 3.5.0;
- touch calibration works correctly in pCP 3.5.0;
- touch fails when running ts_test or Jivelite.

Any insight is welcome. :)

Afterthought: is pCP using the calibration for the official RPi screen and ignoring local calibration?

Edit to add:

Now resolved. the default ts.conf (touchscreen library configuration file) changed between pCP 3.22 and 3.5.0. Fix as follows:

Edit /usr/local/etc/ts.conf to contain:
module_raw input
module pthres pmin=1
module variance delta=30
module dejitter delta=100
module linear
To make the changes to ts.conf persistent across reboots, add the following line to the end of /opt/.filetool.lst:
usr/local/etc/ts.conf
Save changes (pCP web UI, Main -> Backup) and reboot (pCP web UI, Main -> Reboot).

pavowren
2018-06-28, 11:01
hello,
i have the proper entries in config.txt for this 800x480 display and visually it looks just fine.
however touch is "off" that is, cursor is shown about an inch to the left of where the finger is.
i've already tried ts_calibrate but to no effect.
yes, i've made sure to backup with sudo filetool.sh -b

i know the display itself is ok since all was ok with previous os, max2play.
there all i had to do was the hdmi_* entries in config.txt.

since others have claimed that 7" display worked out-of-the-box,
i purchased one and it is on its way.
but i sure would like to find the magic settings with pCP.
please offer some ideas... since i'm pretty much out of them!

update:
i just read about xinput_calibrator but
i see no such extension in pCP listed.
is this any different than ts_calibrate?

paul-
2018-06-28, 12:55
Ralphy is the expert here, but I'm pretty sure that Jivelite is only comparable with the tslibs. X windows stuff doesn't work for this application.

Are you doing a backup after calibration, before rebooting? Without backing up, when rebooting, the old pointercal data is restored.

run "pcp bu" after you run ts_calibrate.

pavowren
2018-06-28, 14:58
Ralphy is the expert here, but I'm pretty sure that Jivelite is only comparable with the tslibs. X windows stuff doesn't work for this application.

Are you doing a backup after calibration, before rebooting? Without backing up, when rebooting, the old pointercal data is restored.

run "pcp bu" after you run ts_calibrate.

yes, backed up using sudo filetool.sh -b
then, just now tried "pcp bu"
reboot with jivelite and touch is still off as before.
degree of offset seems to vary even as i'm playing around the screen;
sometimes, cursor is off to north 1/2", to left 1", to south...etc.

just to make sure, i retried the old max2play and the display behaved properly as before.
so i know it's not the display hardware but some driver setting...
do you know where the calibration data is stored?
and how to adjust it manually?
is that even feasible?

i'm fearing that i'll have the same problem with the new 7" hdmi display i will be getting next week.

UPDATE:
here's what ts_calibrate shows:
xres = 800, yres = 480
Took 2 samples...
Top left : X = 304 Y = 195
Took 2 samples...
Top right : X = 16296 Y = 248
Took 2 samples...
Bot right : X = 16283 Y = 9580
Took 1 samples...
Bot left : X = 25 Y = 9599
Took 1 samples...
Center : X = 8096 Y = 4942
-0.362000 0.048365 0.000759
-0.813110 -0.000050 0.049101
Calibration constants: -23724 3169 49 -53288 -3 3217 65536

here's what is currently in /usr/local/etc/pointercal
3171 31 -235660 -9 3237 -411480 65536 800 480
after calibration:
3169 49 -23724 -3 3217 -53288 65536 800 480

does it make any sense?
elsewhere someone claimed success using xinput_calibrator, so how do i get this x... installed on pCP?

paul-
2018-06-28, 19:40
Again, we don't support Xwindows. The pointercal file is the calibration file.

That is the extent of my troubleshooting, ralphy is offline for a few days, I'm sure he will be able to assist when he gets back to a computer.

The pointercal file that we supply with pCP is the calibration data for the 7" rpi screen, since you have been playing with yours, you will need to start with a fresh image when going to the 7" display.

or change the file back to this.
tc@piTouch:/mnt/sdb3$ cat /usr/local/etc/pointercal
63975 7 724784 2 62927 574656 65536 800 480

pavowren
2018-06-29, 03:45
Again, we don't support Xwindows. The pointercal file is the calibration file.

That is the extent of my troubleshooting, ralphy is offline for a few days, I'm sure he will be able to assist when he gets back to a computer.

The pointercal file that we supply with pCP is the calibration data for the 7" rpi screen, since you have been playing with yours, you will need to start with a fresh image when going to the 7" display.

or change the file back to this.
tc@piTouch:/mnt/sdb3$ cat /usr/local/etc/pointercal
63975 7 724784 2 62927 574656 65536 800 480

the hdmi display i'm getting is 7" with 1024x600,
so i assume it'd require totally different values....

piPlayer
2018-06-29, 05:31
hello,
i have the proper entries in config.txt for this 800x480 display and visually it looks just fine.
however touch is "off" that is, cursor is shown about an inch to the left of where the finger is.
i've already tried ts_calibrate but to no effect.
yes, i've made sure to backup with sudo filetool.sh -b
I hade a similar problem and found the solution here (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107366-picoreplayer-3-11-waveshare-3-5-TFT-jivelite-Raspberry-Pi-2B&p=905003&viewfull=1#post905003).
Maybe it will help you too.

pavowren
2018-06-30, 06:03
I hade a similar problem and found the solution here (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107366-picoreplayer-3-11-waveshare-3-5-TFT-jivelite-Raspberry-Pi-2B&p=905003&viewfull=1#post905003).
Maybe it will help you too.

thank you for the pointer, but after the change, no real difference.
in my do_rebootstuff.sh, $eventno was already used,
so i was not expecting any benefits...

this pointer problem sure is frustrating.
it seems to vary upon each boot; sometimes almost usable, sometimes not, etc.
i'm hoping the resident expert Ralphy can help me. please...

UPDATE:
i forgot to do "pcp bu" after making changes to do_rebootstuff.
but when i did the backup and rebooted, touch did not work at all!
so back to the original do_rebootstuff and the same touch offset problem persists...

mongrel
2018-06-30, 12:22
however touch is "off" ...

Also have a look earlier in this thread (start around here (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108852-Announce-piCorePlayer-3-5-0&p=913389&viewfull=1#post913389)).

See what out put you get for ts_print – if you don't see the zero at the end of the line for the release point (where the touch lifts off the screen), then you have a similar problem to those of us using the 3.5" screen.

If you have similar results, I fixed mine with what's in this post (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108852-Announce-piCorePlayer-3-5-0&p=913574&viewfull=1#post913574).

Again, this resolution was for the 3.5" screen, directly connected to GPIO – ymmv.

pavowren
2018-06-30, 17:17
Also have a look earlier in this thread (start around here (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108852-Announce-piCorePlayer-3-5-0&p=913389&viewfull=1#post913389)).

See what out put you get for ts_print – if you don't see the zero at the end of the line for the release point (where the touch lifts off the screen), then you have a similar problem to those of us using the 3.5" screen.

If you have similar results, I fixed mine with what's in this post (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108852-Announce-piCorePlayer-3-5-0&p=913574&viewfull=1#post913574).

Again, this resolution was for the 3.5" screen, directly connected to GPIO – ymmv.

thank you for offering another thing to try...
but how do i persist the changes to ts.conf?

"It is necessary to add ts.conf to /opt/.filetool.lst in order to survive a reboot."

i added /usr/local/etc/ts.conf as the first line in /opt/,filetool.lst
but ts.conf is back to original after reboot.

UPDATE:
never mind, can't have that leading "/"
after all that, touch is still off. wow.. should this be this hard?
i consider myself half-way competent having been a developer in the old days,
but this is about to get to me!

where can i get an overview of system modules involved in jivelite and its graphics?
has someone written it up somewhere?
or is the source code only option (which i definitely do not want to delve into)?

Greg Erskine
2018-06-30, 19:25
hi pavowren,

FYI, piCorePlayer supports the Official 7" Raspberry Pi Foundation screen. We made that decision assuming the majority of users would use the screen designed specifically for the Raspberry Pi.

As you are finding out, there are probably a hundred screens with many different specs.

You need to also consider the resolution of the available jivelite skins. The 800 x 600 resolution skins get more development as they are compatible with the Official 7" RPi screen. There has been efforts for jivelite to support additional resolutions but typically, resolutions that meet the Official 7" RPi screen or the original Squeezebox resolutions get greater attention.

regards
Greg

mongrel
2018-07-01, 02:58
after all that, touch is still off. wow.. should this be this hard?
It's not for the impatient, certainly! It took me several weeks before all the pieces slotted into place, first with pCP 3.12 and then again on upgrading to pCP 3.5.0.

Have you checked that pointercal and ts.conf are actually being restored on restart? What do you see in the output of ts_print?

I understand that yours is an HDMI-connected screen, which quite possibly has completely different issues to the GPIO-connected devices.

pavowren
2018-07-01, 04:38
hi pavowren,

FYI, piCorePlayer supports the Official 7" Raspberry Pi Foundation screen. We made that decision assuming the majority of users would use the screen designed specifically for the Raspberry Pi.

As you are finding out, there are probably a hundred screens with many different specs.

You need to also consider the resolution of the available jivelite skins. The 800 x 600 resolution skins get more development as they are compatible with the Official 7" RPi screen. There has been efforts for jivelite to support additional resolutions but typically, resolutions that meet the Official 7" RPi screen or the original Squeezebox resolutions get greater attention.

regards
Greg

hello greg, i hear what you are saying about the many resolutions and display sizes.
and why the most common gets the attention of volunteer developer(s) and appreciate their efforts.
but i guess i do not understand the complexity of handling the input; i mean it almost works!
screen looks great via config.txt settings.
ts_calibrate works but not quite.
i'm just curious which module is specific to 7" 800x600 and the difficulty of making it "generic".

well, i will be getting a 7" 1024x600 shortly, so i will see how it behaves as 800x600 device.
curious george here
pavo

paul-
2018-07-01, 05:15
The jivelite skins are resolution dependent.

pavowren
2018-07-01, 08:33
The jivelite skins are resolution dependent.

yeah sure that's the visual thing, not pointer accuracy.
on max2play (which runs x), jivelite has no issues with touch accuracy.
change to a whacky skin, the screen visually is off but the touch accuracy still remains.

so i can only conclude there is an issue with tslib which i assume jivelite depends on.
why is it verboten to install x on pCP?
is x that fat?

as you might have guessed, i really like and want to stick with pCP as long as i can...
if only i can get this touch to work properly.

Jan Madsen
2018-11-10, 11:14
Hi,

I just bought this 3.5" touch screen (https://www.reichelt.de/raspberry-pi-shield-lcd-touch-display-3-5-480x320-pixel-rasp-pi-3-5td-p202827.html?) for my PcP 4.0 running on RPi 2B+ with LMS and USB disk.
However the installation instructions for this screen are written for Raspbian OS.
I have followed the guide (http://www.pughx2.com/picore320.html)written by bynowhinjing, but of course Jivelite doesn't work on this TFT. In fact I get the white screen only.
In the Joy-IT instructions you need to edit two files, which are not present in PcP:
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf
I have created these two files in /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/ but I don't know how to include them. My Linux skills are weak.

This is how 99-calibration.conf should read, according to Joy-IT:
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "calibration"
MatchProduct "ADS7846 Touchscreen"
Option "Calibration" "160 3723 3896 181"
Option "SwapAxes" "1"
Option "TransformationMatrix" "1 0 0 0 -1 1 0 0 1"
EndSection

This is 99-fbturbo.conf:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Allwinner A10/A13 FBDEV"
Driver "fbturbo"
Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"
Option "SwapbuffersWait" "true"
EndSection

Hoping to hear from someone who will guide me.
I would really love to get this screen up and running :-)
Thank you!

Jan

Jan Madsen
2018-11-12, 00:44
If I try to load the modules manually in Putty I get error:

module flexfb not found in modules.dep

sudo modprobe flexfb width=320 height=480 regwidth=16 init=-1,0xb0,0x0,-1,0x11,-2,250,-1,0x3A,0x55,-1,0xC2,0x44,-1,0xC5,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,-1,0xE0,0x0F,0x1F,0x1C,0x0C,0x0F,0x08,0x48,0x98,0x3 7,0x0A,0x13,0x04,0x11,0x0D,0x00,-1,0xE1,0x0F,0x32,0x2E,0x0B,0x0D,0x05,0x47,0x75,0x3 7,0x06,0x10,0x03,0x24,0x20,0x00,-1,0xE2,0x0F,0x32,0x2E,0x0B,0x0D,0x05,0x47,0x75,0x3 7,0x06,0x10,0x03,0x24,0x20,0x00,-1,0x36,0x28,-1,0x11,-1,0x29,-3

sudo modprobe fbtft_device name=flexfb rotate=90 speed=16000000 gpios=reset:25,dc:24 txbuflen=32768 fps=50

I guess my screen is not Waveshare compatible.

piPlayer
2018-11-12, 02:50
@ Jan Madsen

Do you come from Germany? Then maybe we could talk by PM.

Jan Madsen
2018-11-28, 10:03
I have now Jivelite up and running on my Joy-IT 3.5" TFT :-)
I succeded with the new 4.1.0 release and following nowhinjing's guide.
Modifications to be made in do_rebootstuff.sh was done in pcp_startup.sh instead.

Without luck I tried many, many times making it work in previous PcP versions, from 3.21 to 4.0.0.
Today when I did I nowhinjing's modifications I loaded the extensions prior to installing Jivelite.
Before I used to begin with the Jivelite installation, then followed by loading the extensions.
Perhaps this was the reason for success...?

However, I'm buying another screen, probably with HDMI interface, since the touch of this Joy-IT works no more.
I've probably damaged the thin cable to the touch screen.

Thanks to @piPlayer for his help on PM.

/Jan

Jan Madsen
2018-12-10, 18:33
Update:
Bought another Joy-IT screen and all works now, including touch.
Pictures of my (upgraded) build here:
http://2bak.blogspot.com/2018/12/picoreplayer-all-in-one.html

nowhinjing
2018-12-28, 09:09
I have updated my guide to getting the Waveshare 3.5" screens working with piCorePlayer and Jivelite.

This is available at
www.pughx2.com/picore3.html.

This has been tested and is working for the following Pis - 2B, 3A+, 3B+, and Zero W.

Hope it will help someone.

NWJ

Greg Erskine
2018-12-28, 13:22
I have updated my guide to getting the Waveshare 3.5" screens working with piCorePlayer and Jivelite.

This is available at
www.pughx2.com/picore3.html

This has been tested and is working for the following Pis - 2B, 3A+, 3B+, and Zero W.

Hope it will help someone.

NWJ

Thanks nowhinjing,

Your work is appreciated!

BTW: Can you wrap your URL with tags, inside the [CODE] tags.

regards
Greg

kennyliveforever
2019-01-05, 05:48
Hello! I've made all following by instructions, calibrate complet and test is OK, but after reboot touch stil does not work properly:(
I think calibration data is reset after reboot. I'm trying manualy edit /usr/local/etc/pointercal, but it is not effective:(

paul-
2019-01-05, 07:10
You are probably missing the second to last step.......that backs up changes......if you ever make changes, you need to backup.

The command

pcp bu

Is a shortcut for that

kennyliveforever
2019-01-05, 07:57
You are probably missing the second to last step.......that backs up changes......if you ever make changes, you need to backup.

The command

pcp bu

Is a shortcut for that

I'm trying :
Press "Backup" button in web interface
Enter
sudo filetool.sh -b command
Enter
pcp bu

Backup is complet, but stil no effect.

If Jivelite is off,
ts-test work properly, but after reboot with Jivelite autostart touch doesn't work again.

nowhinjing
2019-01-06, 03:28
I normally use my screen with an IR remote, so I don't really use touch.

I have just tried it, and kenny is right calibrate and test work, but when jivelite loads - it all just goes to pot.

I will try to see if I can find a solution ...

NWJ

kennyliveforever
2019-01-06, 05:22

I have just tried it, and kenny is right calibrate and test work, but when jivelite loads - it all just goes to pot.

NWJ

I think trouble hiding in /home/tc/www/cgi-bin/pcp_startup.sh

at these section

echo -n "${BLUE}Starting Jivelite...${NORMAL}"
eventno=$( cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/FT5406 memory based driver/{for(a=0;a>=0;a++){getline;{if(/mouse/==1){ print $NF;exit 0;}}}}')
export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
fi
export HOME=/home/tc
# Alternative jivelite script, mainly used for waveshare devices. Located on persistent partition. (/mnt/mmcblk0p2 or partition where tce is located)
if [ -x $TCEMNT/tce/jivelite.sh ]; then
sudo -E -b $TCEMNT/tce/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
else
fi
fi

kennyliveforever
2019-01-06, 05:24

NWJ

I think trouble hiden in /home/tc/www/cgi-bin/pcp_startup.sh

At these section

echo -n "${BLUE}Starting Jivelite...${NORMAL}"
eventno=$( cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/FT5406 memory based driver/{for(a=0;a>=0;a++){getline;{if(/mouse/==1){ print $NF;exit 0;}}}}')
export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
fi
export HOME=/home/tc
# Alternative jivelite script, mainly used for waveshare devices. Located on persistent partition. (/mnt/mmcblk0p2 or partition where tce is located)
if [ -x $TCEMNT/tce/jivelite.sh ]; then
sudo -E -b $TCEMNT/tce/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1
else
fi
fi

kennyliveforever
2019-01-06, 06:45
After 2 days i'm finaly find a solution for correct working touch, just need edit /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh as below...

#!/bin/sh
export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
fi

export SDL_TOUCHSCREEN=1

export HOME=/home/tc
export JIVE_FRAMERATE=22

while true; do
sleep 3
done

kennyliveforever
2019-01-06, 08:59
Any one knows how rotate the screen at 90 degrees?

Paul Webster
2019-01-06, 09:15
Try changing
to
export SDL_VIDEO_FBCON_ROTATION=CW
or
export SDL_VIDEO_FBCON_ROTATION=CCW

Valid values are:
o not set - Not rotating, no shadow.
o "NONE" - Not rotating, but still using shadow.
o "CW" - Rotating screen clockwise.
o "UD" - Rotating screen upside down.
o "CCW" - Rotating screen counter clockwise.

kennyliveforever
2019-01-06, 09:50
Try changing
to
export SDL_VIDEO_FBCON_ROTATION=CW
or
export SDL_VIDEO_FBCON_ROTATION=CCW

Valid values are:
o not set - Not rotating, no shadow.
o "NONE" - Not rotating, but still using shadow.
o "CW" - Rotating screen clockwise.
o "UD" - Rotating screen upside down.
o "CCW" - Rotating screen counter clockwise.

I'm trying it, but works only 0 and 180 orientation, 90 or 270 doesn't work, Jivelite just doesn't startup:(

ralphy
2019-01-07, 06:03
I'm trying it, but works only 0 and 180 orientation, 90 or 270 doesn't work, Jivelite just doesn't startup:(

The issue is likely the fact that SDL doesn't have accelerated video support for all screen resolutions around the rotations.

Greg Erskine
2019-01-22, 16:21
After 2 days i'm finaly find a solution for correct working touch, just need edit /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh as below...

#!/bin/sh
export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
fi

export SDL_TOUCHSCREEN=1

export HOME=/home/tc
export JIVE_FRAMERATE=22

while true; do
sleep 3
done

Hi guys,

The "&" at the end of the jivelite command is causing me problems. It creates lots of occurrences of jivelite to be created. Look via $ ps.

I have been working on getting the script as generic as possible. The commented commands have been eliminated as NOT being a mandatory requirement. The EVENTNO is required because if you plug in a USB keyboard the input numbering scheme changes the touchscreen event number. I can't get udev to assign an alias, anyone done that?

#!/bin/sh

#export SDL_VIDEO_FBCON_ROTATION=UD

#export HOME=/home/tc
#export JIVE_FRAMERATE=22
#/usr/sbin/fbset -depth 32
#export SDL_TOUCHSCREEN=1
#TSLIB_CALIBFILE=/usr/local/etc/pointercal
#export SDL_MOUSEDEV=$TSLIB_TSDEVICE
#sudo -E -b /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

EVENTNO=$(cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/ADS7846 Touchscreen/{for(a=0;a>=0;a++){getline;{if(/mouse/==1){ print $NF;exit 0;}}}}')

export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon
export SDL_FBDEV=/dev/fb1
export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/$EVENTNO

while true; do
/opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
sleep 3
done

regards
Greg

pc1246
2019-02-01, 03:46
I just wanted to confirm that this solution is also working with piCorePlayer 3.22 on my pi Zero W, connected to a cheap (8 euro) Chinese version of the waveshare TFT!

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/3-5-Inch-TFT-LCD-Moudle-For-Raspberry-Pi-2-Model-B-RPI-B-raspberry-pi/32707058182.html

I had to modify some things, but now it's working perfectly with a USB DAC!
If there's any interest I can share my modified files.

Thanks for helping me to set this up!

Regards, Bart
Hello bvlet
I am very interested in your files, because mine is still white!
Thank you in advance
Christoph

pc1246
2019-02-01, 03:47
Congratulations! I've just setup up PCP + LMS from the scratch on a Zero W with a cheap China 3.5 touchscreen. Using nowhinjing's tutorial (not his files, they didn't work for me), everything works out of the box - great!
Hello streampunk
I am just trying to set up the jivelite with a similar screen like you use! I am wondering which files you did not use in nowhinjing's instructions?
What I do not understand in this instruction are the two modprobe sets. I am really a noob with linux, but I understand that there are made some initialisations, which may not fit to my display. Especially reset and dc, the other ones aren't clear anyhow.
Maybe you can share your differences in complete!
Thank you in advance
Christoph

madmax
2019-02-06, 06:17
Separate Jivelite install is not required, executing the step :

select the pcp-jivelite__default-wavskin.tcz extension from the repository and click on the Load button.

Installs Jivelite by default as a dependency of loading the skin.

nowhinjjing followed your tutorial exactly but my screen still white. 3.5 waveshare with pi 2b

nowhinjing
2019-02-09, 21:56
nowhinjjing followed your tutorial exactly but my screen still white. 3.5 waveshare with pi 2b

Are you using PCP 4.1 ?

Are you using a waveshare 3.5inch 480 x 320 screen ?

If so, try this

Set-up piCorePlayer to use the TFT screen

- using Win32DiskImager or Etcher write the piCorePlayer image that you downloaded previously to your SD card.
- with your SD card still in the windows machine, use explorer to edit the following files :
- cmdline.txt to match that shown in to current webpage instructions.
- config.txt to match that shown in to current webpage instructions.
- eject the SD card from the windows machine,
- place the SD card in the Raspberry Pi [Rpi], connect to Ethernet and power on,
- run Advanced IP Scanner to identify the IP address used by the Rpi, now loaded with the PiCorePlayer PCP image
- enter this address into your browser to bring up the PCP web interface,
- go to the Main Page and at the bottom select Beta mode,
- still on the Main Page select the Extensions button at the end of the second section.
- select the piCorePlayer sourceforge repository and click the Set button
- select the appropriate touchscreen-... tcz extension from the repository and click on the Load button.
- Check that the extension has loaded, and remember to hit the Reset button before returning to the Main Page
- run WinSCP and log into PCP using the address obtained from Advanced IP Scanner with username tc / password (piCore),
- using WinSCP, edit /opt/bootlocal.sh to include the following 2 lines,

modprobe flexfb width=320 height=480 regwidth=16 init=-1,0xb0,0x0,-1,0x11,-2,250,-1,0x3A,0x55,-1,0xC2,0x44,-1,0xC5,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,-1,0xE0,0x0F,0x1F,0x1C,0x0C,0x0F,0x08,0x48,0x98,0x3 7,0x0A,0x13,0x04,0x11,0x0D,0x00,-1,0xE1,0x0F,0x32,0x2E,0x0B,0x0D,0x05,0x47,0x75,0x3 7,0x06,0x10,0x03,0x24,0x20,0x00,-1,0xE2,0x0F,0x32,0x2E,0x0B,0x0D,0x05,0x47,0x75,0x3 7,0x06,0x10,0x03,0x24,0x20,0x00,-1,0x36,0x28,-1,0x11,-1,0x29,-3 (line 1)

modprobe fbtft_device debug=3 rotate=90 name=flexfb speed=16000000 gpios=reset:25,dc:24 (line 2)

- on PCP web interface Main Page select the Backup button from the second section to backup the changes,
- on PCP web interface Main Page select the Reboot button from the first section.

Following the reboot you should now have piCorePlayer output on your TFT screen.

If you still don't get output on the screen I would suggest the screen is faulty - otherwise I don't know what else to suggest ...

Good Luck !

lordvader
2019-02-10, 03:46
Hey all,

I just got a 3.5" pitft display working, mainly using the info in this post:
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?108852-Announce-piCorePlayer-3-5-0&p=913389&viewfull=1#post913389 , and the this page: http://www.pughx2.com/picore3.html .

However, not having any luck with screensavers. When I use the clock, nothing appears (just a blank screen), and when I chose "turn off display", I get the same blank screen, but still fully backlit.

Anything I can do to proceed?

paul-
2019-02-10, 07:58
Turn off will only work with the rpi display.

lordvader
2019-02-10, 14:53
Dang.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4X using Tapatalk

piPlayer
2019-02-12, 00:58
... However, not having any luck with screensavers...
Over two years ago I found a solution to get the screen savers working with a 3,5" waveshare display.
I did additional modifications in the pcp-jivelite.tcz extension.

In /opt/jivelite/share/jive/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/Clocks I changed the resolution of the .png images from 480x272 to 480x320 (expand them to 528x320 and after that cut off 24 pixel in height on top and bottom of the image).
And in /opt/jivelite/share/jive/applets/Clocks I modified the ClockApplet.lua file. Here you have to define that the Wav35Skin also uses the Clocks from WQVGAsmallSkin. But unfortunaly I forgot the exact changes that I've done. :o Maybe the PCP experts could give you a hint.

regards
PiPlayer

RDaneel
2019-02-13, 17:15
First of all, thank you so much to nowhinjing for his detailed instructions on getting the Waveshare screen working! I'm nearly there, but hit a snag I can't resolve and hope someone can help me troubleshoot. I have everything set up and working EXCEPT the screen calibration is not working. When I run the calibration tool, it tracks the pen movement perfectly, but when I run jivelite/PCP, the cursor and pen input are nowhere close. I've tried swapping the rotation, just to ensure that wasn't the issue, and that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Are there other settings that I might need to adjust? Given that I copied/pasted all the parameters, I'm guessing that it isn't an issue with the instructions. Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. I see discussion in the Announce 3.5.0 thread (around pages 27-30) when people were having similar issues, but they appear to have been resolved. I'm running the current PCP (4.1), so am still stumped.

P.P.S. When I Putty into the pi and run the TS_TEST program, the output looks good. Tapping in the lower right, for example, gives a value about 480 240, as expected. Then I run jivelite and the touch is crazy. Weird.

nowhinjing
2019-02-13, 20:05
First of all, thank you so much to nowhinjing for his detailed instructions on getting the Waveshare screen working! I'm nearly there, but hit a snag I can't resolve and hope someone can help me troubleshoot. I have everything set up and working EXCEPT the screen calibration is not working. When I run the calibration tool, it tracks the pen movement perfectly, but when I run jivelite/PCP, the cursor and pen input are nowhere close. I've tried swapping the rotation, just to ensure that wasn't the issue, and that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Are there other settings that I might need to adjust? Given that I copied/pasted all the parameters, I'm guessing that it isn't an issue with the instructions. Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. I see discussion in the Announce 3.5.0 thread (around pages 27-30) when people were having similar issues, but they appear to have been resolved. I'm running the current PCP (4.1), so am still stumped.

P.P.S. When I Putty into the pi and run the TS_TEST program, the output looks good. Tapping in the lower right, for example, gives a value about 480 240, as expected. Then I run jivelite and the touch is crazy. Weird.

See post #148 in this thread

RDaneel
2019-02-13, 20:17
See post #148 in this thread

Fantastic, thank you so much! And thank you for the specific pointer and not a (justifiable) "read the whole thread" ;-)

RDaneel
2019-02-13, 22:42
One more random question - is there any way to control screen brightness? I've tried the PCP settings, but get the message that they work only with the official RPi touchscreen. I'll be putting this unit in my daughter's room to control her music, so being able to reduce the brightness would be nice! From my googling, it seems impossible, but I hope it doesn't hurt to ask here...

piPlayer
2019-02-14, 00:05
... is there any way to control screen brightness? ...
There is no way to adjust the brightness because the 3.5-inch waveshare display has no pins for it. For the same reason the backlight can't be switched off, it remains always on.
But I found this hack to adjust the brightness: Link (https://github.com/Robotto/meteogrammer#display-hack) May be it will help.

JustRay
2019-02-14, 10:24
Hi there.

I got a quite similar problem using the 3.5" waveshare display as described in #120. I read many posts but I still cannot find a solution - or I am not able understanding the solution you used.

- display is working correctly
- touch calibration works correctly in pCP 4.1.0, very exact in every manner
- touch calibration test is working correctly in every manner
- touch reacts strange in Jivelite

-while moving the finger in x direction the pointer moves the opposite direction

-moving the finger from the bottom to the top the pointer is running a longer distance then the finger but with the correct orientation

Any idea how to solve that?

Cheers

Greg Erskine
2019-02-14, 13:56
hi JustRay,

Any chance you can do a $ps to see if there are multiple jivelite processes running?

If so, did you try my version of jivelite.sh in post #153?

regards
Greg

JustRay
2019-02-15, 01:27
hi JustRay,

Any chance you can do a $ps to see if there are multiple jivelite processes running?

regards
Greg

Hi Greg.

ps says:

5278 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
6409 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7027 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7029 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7031 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7033 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7035 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7037 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7039 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7042 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7044 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7046 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7048 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7050 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7052 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7054 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7056 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7058 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7060 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7062 root 0:00 sshd: tc@pts/0
7065 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7067 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7069 tc 0:00 -sh
7109 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7111 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7113 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7115 root 0:00 sshd: tc@notty
7117 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7119 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7121 tc 0:00 /usr/local/libexec/sftp-server
7122 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7124 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7126 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7129 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7131 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7133 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7135 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7137 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7139 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7141 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
7143 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite

this makes me wonder cause I have no idea why there are that many jivelite jobs.

the pstree says

root@piCorePlayer:/home/tc# pstree
init-+-httpd
|-jivelite.sh-+-jivelite---{jivelite}
| |-61*[jivelite]
| `-sleep
|-sh
|-squeezelite---3*[{squeezelite}]
|-sshd-+-sshd---sh---sh---pstree
| `-sshd---sftp-server
|-udevd---2*[udevd]
|-2*[udhcpc]
`-wpa_supplicant

JustRay
2019-02-15, 01:48
hi JustRay,

regards
Greg

No I tried your hints in #153 and it seems to work well. The result of ps looks a little more tidy although there are still many redundant jobs within I am not shure about to be senseful.

PID USER TIME COMMAND
1 root 0:01 init
2 root 0:00 [kthreadd]
4 root 0:00 [kworker/0:0H]
5 root 0:00 [kworker/u8:0]
6 root 0:00 [mm_percpu_wq]
7 root 0:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
8 root 0:00 [rcu_sched]
9 root 0:00 [rcu_bh]
10 root 0:00 [migration/0]
11 root 0:00 [cpuhp/0]
12 root 0:00 [cpuhp/1]
13 root 0:00 [migration/1]
14 root 0:00 [ksoftirqd/1]
16 root 0:00 [kworker/1:0H]
17 root 0:00 [cpuhp/2]
18 root 0:00 [migration/2]
19 root 0:00 [ksoftirqd/2]
21 root 0:00 [kworker/2:0H]
22 root 0:00 [cpuhp/3]
23 root 0:00 [migration/3]
24 root 0:00 [ksoftirqd/3]
26 root 0:00 [kworker/3:0H]
27 root 0:00 [kdevtmpfs]
28 root 0:00 [netns]
30 root 0:00 [kworker/1:1]
32 root 0:00 [kworker/3:1]
33 root 0:00 [khungtaskd]
34 root 0:00 [oom_reaper]
35 root 0:00 [writeback]
36 root 0:00 [kcompactd0]
37 root 0:00 [crypto]
38 root 0:00 [kblockd]
39 root 0:00 [watchdogd]
40 root 0:00 [rpciod]
41 root 0:00 [xprtiod]
42 root 0:00 [kworker/u8:1]
44 root 0:00 [kswapd0]
45 root 0:00 [nfsiod]
54 root 0:00 [kthrotld]
55 root 0:00 [iscsi_eh]
56 root 0:00 [dwc_otg]
57 root 0:00 [DWC Notificatio]
58 root 0:00 [kworker/2:2]
59 root 0:00 [vchiq-slot/0]
60 root 0:00 [vchiq-recy/0]
61 root 0:00 [vchiq-sync/0]
62 root 0:00 [vchiq-keep/0]
63 root 0:00 [irq/92-mmc1]
70 root 0:00 [mmcqd/0]
97 root 0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
187 root 0:00 [spi0]
382 root 0:00 [jbd2/mmcblk0p2-]
383 root 0:00 [ext4-rsv-conver]
398 root 0:00 [loop0]
399 root 0:00 [kworker/2:1H]
401 root 0:00 [loop1]
402 root 0:00 [kworker/3:1H]
404 root 0:00 [loop2]
406 root 0:00 [loop3]
408 root 0:00 [loop4]
410 root 0:00 [loop5]
412 root 0:00 [loop6]
414 root 0:00 [loop7]
415 root 0:00 [kworker/0:1H]
417 root 0:00 [loop8]
418 root 0:00 [kworker/1:1H]
420 root 0:00 [loop9]
422 root 0:00 [loop10]
424 root 0:00 [loop11]
426 root 0:00 [loop12]
428 root 0:00 [loop13]
430 root 0:00 [loop14]
432 root 0:00 [loop15]
434 root 0:00 [loop16]
436 root 0:00 [loop17]
438 root 0:00 [loop18]
440 root 0:00 [loop19]
442 root 0:00 [loop20]
444 root 0:00 [loop21]
446 root 0:00 [loop22]
448 root 0:00 [loop23]
450 root 0:00 [loop24]
452 root 0:00 [loop25]
454 root 0:00 [loop26]
456 root 0:00 [loop27]
458 root 0:00 [loop28]
460 root 0:00 [loop29]
462 root 0:00 [loop30]
464 root 0:00 [loop31]
466 root 0:00 [loop32]
468 root 0:00 [loop33]
470 root 0:00 [loop34]
472 root 0:00 [loop35]
474 root 0:00 [loop36]
476 root 0:00 [loop37]
478 root 0:00 [loop38]
480 root 0:00 [loop39]
482 root 0:00 [loop40]
484 root 0:00 [loop41]
486 root 0:00 [loop42]
488 root 0:00 [loop43]
640 root 0:00 [irq/169-ads7846]
649 root 0:00 [cfg80211]
652 root 0:00 [brcmf_wq/mmc1:0]
657 root 0:00 [brcmf_wdog/mmc1]
885 root 0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
887 root 0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
974 tc 0:00 -sh
1269 root 0:00 [kworker/0:3]
1361 root 0:00 /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/usr/local/etc/pcp/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dnl80211,wext -B
2311 root 0:00 /sbin/udhcpc -b -i wlan0 -x hostname:piCorePlayer -p /var/run/udhcpc.wlan0.pid
2896 root 0:00 /usr/local/sbin/sshd
2916 root 0:02 /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n piCorePlayer -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 80 4 1 -v
2937 root 0:00 /usr/sbin/httpd -h /home/tc/www
2970 root 0:00 {jivelite.sh} /bin/sh /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh
2978 root 0:11 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
4330 root 0:00 /sbin/udhcpc -b -i eth0 -x hostname:piCorePlayer -p /var/run/udhcpc.eth0.pid
7190 root 0:00 [kworker/1:0]
7191 root 0:00 sshd: tc@pts/0
7194 tc 0:00 -sh
7236 root 0:00 [kworker/2:0]
7238 root 0:00 [kworker/3:0]
7241 root 0:00 [kworker/0:1]
7249 root 0:00 [kworker/2:1]
7255 root 0:00 [kworker/u8:2]
7256 root 0:00 sh
7257 root 0:00 [kworker/1:2]
7258 root 0:00 ps

JustRay
2019-02-15, 02:07
hi JustRay,

regards
Greg

After applying your hints of post #153 everything seems to work fine and fluent.

But pstree says:

root@piCorePlayer:/home/tc# pstree
init-+-httpd
|-jivelite.sh---jivelite---{jivelite}
|-sh
|-squeezelite---3*[{squeezelite}]
|-sshd---sshd---sh---sh---pstree
|-udevd---2*[udevd]
|-2*[udhcpc]
`-wpa_supplicant

It makes me wonder that there is squeezelite 3 times and udevd 2 times. I cannot explain why.

Thanks in advance

ElFishi
2019-02-18, 13:43
I also use a cheap chinese 3.5 TFT display with piCorePlayer 4.1.

For configuration I initially followed nowhinjing's excellent guide. With my display, however, I found that the configuration can by simplified to say

dtoverlay=piscreen,speed=24000000,rotate=270
in config.txt instead of dtoverlay=ads7846 ...
With the piscreen overlay I can skip the whole modprobe flexfb ... part and leave /opt/bootlocal.sh unchanged.

I also found Greg's version (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107366-picoreplayer-3-11-waveshare-3-5-TFT-jivelite-Raspberry-Pi-2B&p=932089&viewfull=1#post932089) for a jivelite.sh very useful. Firstly, you dont't get a million jivelite.sh spawned (how did that '&' get in there anyway?). Secondly you don't need to edit /home/tc/www/cgi-bin/pcp_startup.sh to replace "awk '/FT5406 memory based driver/" with " awk '/ADS7846 Touchscreen/". So another file you don't need to touch when upgrading pCP.

To switch the backlight I made a similar hack to the one referenced here (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107366-picoreplayer-3-11-waveshare-3-5-TFT-jivelite-Raspberry-Pi-2B&p=933819&viewfull=1#post933819) (pics below).

Maybe someone finds this info useful...

Greg Erskine
2019-02-18, 16:16
No I tried your hints in #153 and it seems to work well. The result of ps looks a little more tidy although there are still many redundant jobs within I am not shure about to be senseful.

PID USER TIME COMMAND
5 root 0:00 [kworker/u8:0]
7 root 0:00 [ksoftirqd/0]
8 root 0:00 [rcu_sched]
9 root 0:00 [rcu_bh]
10 root 0:00 [migration/0]
11 root 0:00 [cpuhp/0]
12 root 0:00 [cpuhp/1]
13 root 0:00 [migration/1]
14 root 0:00 [ksoftirqd/1]
16 root 0:00 [kworker/1:0H]
17 root 0:00 [cpuhp/2]
18 root 0:00 [migration/2]
19 root 0:00 [ksoftirqd/2]
21 root 0:00 [kworker/2:0H]
22 root 0:00 [cpuhp/3]
23 root 0:00 [migration/3]
24 root 0:00 [ksoftirqd/3]
26 root 0:00 [kworker/3:0H]
27 root 0:00 [kdevtmpfs]
28 root 0:00 [netns]
30 root 0:00 [kworker/1:1]
32 root 0:00 [kworker/3:1]
33 root 0:00 [khungtaskd]
34 root 0:00 [oom_reaper]
35 root 0:00 [writeback]
36 root 0:00 [kcompactd0]
37 root 0:00 [crypto]
38 root 0:00 [kblockd]
39 root 0:00 [watchdogd]
40 root 0:00 [rpciod]
41 root 0:00 [xprtiod]
42 root 0:00 [kworker/u8:1]
44 root 0:00 [kswapd0]
45 root 0:00 [nfsiod]
54 root 0:00 [kthrotld]
55 root 0:00 [iscsi_eh]
56 root 0:00 [dwc_otg]
57 root 0:00 [DWC Notificatio]
58 root 0:00 [kworker/2:2]
59 root 0:00 [vchiq-slot/0]
60 root 0:00 [vchiq-recy/0]
61 root 0:00 [vchiq-sync/0]
62 root 0:00 [vchiq-keep/0]
63 root 0:00 [irq/92-mmc1]
70 root 0:00 [mmcqd/0]
97 root 0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
187 root 0:00 [spi0]
382 root 0:00 [jbd2/mmcblk0p2-]
383 root 0:00 [ext4-rsv-conver]
398 root 0:00 [loop0]
399 root 0:00 [kworker/2:1H]
401 root 0:00 [loop1]
402 root 0:00 [kworker/3:1H]
404 root 0:00 [loop2]
406 root 0:00 [loop3]
408 root 0:00 [loop4]
410 root 0:00 [loop5]
412 root 0:00 [loop6]
414 root 0:00 [loop7]
415 root 0:00 [kworker/0:1H]
417 root 0:00 [loop8]
418 root 0:00 [kworker/1:1H]
420 root 0:00 [loop9]
422 root 0:00 [loop10]
424 root 0:00 [loop11]
426 root 0:00 [loop12]
428 root 0:00 [loop13]
430 root 0:00 [loop14]
432 root 0:00 [loop15]
434 root 0:00 [loop16]
436 root 0:00 [loop17]
438 root 0:00 [loop18]
440 root 0:00 [loop19]
442 root 0:00 [loop20]
444 root 0:00 [loop21]
446 root 0:00 [loop22]
448 root 0:00 [loop23]
450 root 0:00 [loop24]
452 root 0:00 [loop25]
454 root 0:00 [loop26]
456 root 0:00 [loop27]
458 root 0:00 [loop28]
460 root 0:00 [loop29]
462 root 0:00 [loop30]
464 root 0:00 [loop31]
466 root 0:00 [loop32]
468 root 0:00 [loop33]
470 root 0:00 [loop34]
472 root 0:00 [loop35]
474 root 0:00 [loop36]
476 root 0:00 [loop37]
478 root 0:00 [loop38]
480 root 0:00 [loop39]
482 root 0:00 [loop40]
484 root 0:00 [loop41]
486 root 0:00 [loop42]
488 root 0:00 [loop43]
640 root 0:00 [irq/169-ads7846]
649 root 0:00 [cfg80211]
652 root 0:00 [brcmf_wq/mmc1:0]
657 root 0:00 [brcmf_wdog/mmc1]
885 root 0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
887 root 0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
974 tc 0:00 -sh
1269 root 0:00 [kworker/0:3]
1361 root 0:00 /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/usr/local/etc/pcp/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dnl80211,wext -B
2311 root 0:00 /sbin/udhcpc -b -i wlan0 -x hostname:piCorePlayer -p /var/run/udhcpc.wlan0.pid
2896 root 0:00 /usr/local/sbin/sshd
2916 root 0:02 /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n piCorePlayer -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 80 4 1 -v
2937 root 0:00 /usr/sbin/httpd -h /home/tc/www
2970 root 0:00 {jivelite.sh} /bin/sh /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh
2978 root 0:11 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
4330 root 0:00 /sbin/udhcpc -b -i eth0 -x hostname:piCorePlayer -p /var/run/udhcpc.eth0.pid
7190 root 0:00 [kworker/1:0]
7191 root 0:00 sshd: tc@pts/0
7194 tc 0:00 -sh
7236 root 0:00 [kworker/2:0]
7238 root 0:00 [kworker/3:0]
7241 root 0:00 [kworker/0:1]
7249 root 0:00 [kworker/2:1]
7255 root 0:00 [kworker/u8:2]
7256 root 0:00 sh
7257 root 0:00 [kworker/1:2]
7258 root 0:00 ps

hi JustRay,

Sorry for the slow response. This looks fine.

Good to see you got it working OK. :)

regards
Greg

Greg Erskine
2019-02-18, 17:05
@ElFishi,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am using the piscreen overlay as well, doing away with the modprobe stuff, but I hadn't twigged to removing ads7846.

dtoverlay=piscreen,speed=16000000,rotate=90

Speed 24000000 also works fine but it looks like you need to calibrate the screen after you decide to rotate 90 or 270 which seems obvious.

I like the backlight hack.

regards
Greg

piPlayer
2019-02-19, 00:33
... With my display, however, I found that the configuration can by simplified to say

dtoverlay=piscreen,speed=24000000,rotate=270
in config.txt instead of dtoverlay=ads7846 ...
With the piscreen overlay I can skip the whole modprobe flexfb ... part and leave /opt/bootlocal.sh unchanged...
I'm a little confused about that. :confused: The flexfb driver is only for driving the display and the ads7846 overlay is only for controlling the touchscreen.
Does the piscreen overlay control both?
But anyway, that's are helpfull news. :)

ElFishi
2019-02-19, 01:20
Yes, piscreen does both, LCD and TS.

And yes, you need to recalibrate with rotate=270.
I also use the change to cmdline.txt as per nowhinjing's guide (http://www.pughx2.com/picore3.html).
In my earlier post (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107366-picoreplayer-3-11-waveshare-3-5-TFT-jivelite-Raspberry-Pi-2B&p=934132&viewfull=1#post934132) I only described where I deviated.

stevelande
2019-02-20, 03:57
I have a Problem.

-pcP =4.1
-Rpi 1
-waveshare 3.5 TFT
PiCorePlayer run on my TFT perfekt. But Jivelite start not on TFT. He always switches between bootscreen and tty.

ps
PID USER TIME COMMAND
3 root 0:02 [kworker/0:0]
5 root 0:00 [kworker/u2:0]
7 root 0:01 [ksoftirqd/0]
8 root 0:00 [kdevtmpfs]
9 root 0:00 [netns]
10 root 0:02 [kworker/0:1]
11 root 0:00 [khungtaskd]
12 root 0:00 [oom_reaper]
13 root 0:00 [writeback]
14 root 0:00 [kcompactd0]
15 root 0:00 [crypto]
16 root 0:00 [kblockd]
17 root 0:00 [watchdogd]
18 root 0:00 [rpciod]
19 root 0:00 [xprtiod]
22 root 0:00 [kswapd0]
23 root 0:00 [nfsiod]
32 root 0:00 [kthrotld]
33 root 0:00 [iscsi_eh]
34 root 0:00 [dwc_otg]
35 root 0:00 [DWC Notificatio]
36 root 0:00 [vchiq-slot/0]
37 root 0:00 [vchiq-recy/0]
38 root 0:00 [vchiq-sync/0]
39 root 0:00 [vchiq-keep/0]
40 root 0:00 [kworker/0:2]
45 root 0:00 [mmcqd/0]
50 root 0:01 [kworker/0:3]
73 root 0:01 /sbin/udevd --daemon
114 root 0:00 [spi0]
310 root 0:00 [jbd2/mmcblk0p2-]
311 root 0:00 [ext4-rsv-conver]
326 root 0:00 [loop0]
327 root 0:00 [kworker/0:1H]
329 root 0:00 [loop1]
331 root 0:00 [loop2]
333 root 0:00 [loop3]
335 root 0:00 [loop4]
337 root 0:00 [loop5]
339 root 0:00 [loop6]
341 root 0:00 [loop7]
343 root 0:00 [loop8]
345 root 0:00 [loop9]
347 root 0:00 [loop10]
349 root 0:00 [loop11]
351 root 0:00 [loop12]
353 root 0:00 [loop13]
355 root 0:00 [loop14]
357 root 0:00 [loop15]
359 root 0:00 [loop16]
361 root 0:00 [loop17]
363 root 0:00 [loop18]
365 root 0:00 [loop19]
367 root 0:00 [loop20]
369 root 0:00 [loop21]
371 root 0:00 [loop22]
373 root 0:00 [loop23]
375 root 0:00 [loop24]
377 root 0:00 [loop25]
379 root 0:00 [loop26]
381 root 0:00 [loop27]
383 root 0:00 [loop28]
385 root 0:00 [loop29]
387 root 0:00 [loop30]
389 root 0:00 [loop31]
391 root 0:00 [loop32]
393 root 0:00 [loop33]
395 root 0:00 [loop34]
397 root 0:00 [loop35]
399 root 0:00 [loop36]
401 root 0:00 [loop37]
403 root 0:00 [loop38]
405 root 0:00 [loop39]
519 root 0:00 [irq/163-ads7846]
545 root 0:00 [cfg80211]
616 root 0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
617 root 0:00 /sbin/udevd --daemon
691 tc 0:00 -sh
1034 root 0:00 [RTW_CMD_THREAD]
1092 root 0:00 /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/usr/local/etc/pc
1959 root 0:00 /sbin/udhcpc -b -i wlan0 -x hostname:piCorePlayer -p /var/
2293 root 0:00 /sbin/udhcpc -b -i eth0 -x hostname:piCoreTFT -p /var/run/
2534 root 0:00 /usr/local/sbin/sshd
2555 root 0:37 /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n piCorePlayer -o hw:CARD=sndr
2563 root 0:00 [kworker/u2:3]
2574 root 0:00 /usr/sbin/httpd -h /home/tc/www
2604 root 0:00 {jivelite.sh} /bin/sh /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/jivelite.sh
3041 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
3593 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
4169 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
4194 root 0:00 sshd: tc@pts/0
4399 tc 0:00 -sh
4559 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
5163 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
5726 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
6132 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
6580 root 0:00 /opt/jivelite/bin/jivelite
6912 root 0:00 [kworker/0:4]
7151 root 0:00 sleep 3
7154 tc 0:00 ps

I am following this guide http://www.pughx2.com/picore3.html

I think the Problem is in
jivelite.sh

Does anyone have an idea for solving the problem?

stevelande
2019-02-21, 13:07
After a new installation the problem is solved.

nowhinjing
2019-02-26, 01:40
I have updated the guide to reflect the advances made and documented in the posts on this thread.

Many thanks to all contributors.

http://www.pughx2.com/picore3.html

NWJ

tobal2
2019-03-01, 14:24
Hi,

Sorry for my bad english.
I have 3 picoreplayer with 7" screen working nicely since around a year.
Now I am triying to add a 4th Pcp player based on RPi 3B+ and the 3.5 TFT screen.
I followed the above guide to setting it...with no success after several atemp the last two days.
I did all the steps, except the wirelless configuration (it wil be running with ethernet).
I can do the calibration wit no problems, and everithing is working perfect...except the screen...I just get these all the time:

Any idea of what am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much!
Excelent guide!!

Cherrs
CSL
Santiago de Chile.

Greg Erskine
2019-03-01, 14:34
hi tobal2,

Looks like jivelite is not starting.

Refer back to the instructions for loading and/or starting jivelite.

Something is missing!

regards
Greg

tobal2
2019-03-01, 14:59
hi tobal2,

Looks like jivelite is not starting.

Refer back to the instructions for loading and/or starting jivelite.

Something is missing!

regards
Greg

Thanks.
I am not sure whit this step:

using winSCP create a file jivelite.sh in /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/, MAKE SURE it is executable. Use the built in WinSCP editor and enter the following :

I am using winSCP to create the file, but I donít know how to be sure that it executable.
Any hint?

I also note that if I connect a tv trough hdmi I can see the normal jivelite screen...

Anyway am going to do everything again.
I will post results!!

Thanks again

nowhinjing
2019-03-02, 02:26
Thanks.
I am not sure whit this step:

using winSCP create a file jivelite.sh in /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/, MAKE SURE it is executable. Use the built in WinSCP editor and enter the following :

I am using winSCP to create the file, but I donít know how to be sure that it executable.
Any hint?

I also note that if I connect a tv trough hdmi I can see the normal jivelite screen...

Anyway am going to do everything again.
I will post results!!

Thanks again

In winSCP, highlight the file, right click and choose properties, set all X (execute) to on.

One other trap for the unwary, make sure the file is in UNIX format (LF end of line) not MS format (CR LF) otherwise it will not be recognised. You can set the right format in Notepad++.

Good Luck,

NWJ

tobal2
2019-03-02, 11:12
In winSCP, highlight the file, right click and choose properties, set all X (execute) to on.

One other trap for the unwary, make sure the file is in UNIX format (LF end of line) not MS format (CR LF) otherwise it will not be recognised. You can set the right format in Notepad++.

Good Luck,

NWJ

Perfect.
I will try again tomorrow.

Thank you very much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobal2
2019-03-04, 05:19
Perfect.
I will try again tomorrow.

Thank you very much!!

Hi.
I did a quick attemp yesterday, following your las advice, with no success.
In this time I can see the Picoreplayer logo at booting, but after the logo the screen came back to the same previous state.
I will do it again slowly in a couple of days.

Thanks
CSL

piPlayer
2019-03-05, 00:02
... In this time I can see the Picoreplayer logo at booting, but after the logo the screen came back to the same previous state...
This happens when the resolution of the default skin is bigger than the physical resolution of the display. If Jivelite was installed over the tweaks page, Joggler Skin or something is Standard Skin and Jivelite does not start on the 3.5 inch waveshare display. The extension "pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz" sets the waveshare-skin to the default setting and jivelite starts properly. So you do not need to install jivelite, you just have to install "pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz".
I think you need to start with a clean install and run this instruction (http://www.pughx2.com/picore3.html) point by point.

tobal2
2019-03-05, 08:55
This happens when the resolution of the default skin is bigger than the physical resolution of the display. If Jivelite was installed over the tweaks page, Joggler Skin or something is Standard Skin and Jivelite does not start on the 3.5 inch waveshare display. The extension "pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz" sets the waveshare-skin to the default setting and jivelite starts properly. So you do not need to install jivelite, you just have to install "pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz".
I think you need to start with a clean install and run this instruction (http://www.pughx2.com/picore3.html) point by point.

Thanks.
I think I install "pcp-jivelite_default-wav35skin.tcz", but I will follow the guide again step by step.

Thanks.

Ludopi
2019-03-17, 04:40
Hi,
Trying to install several times PiCorePlayer 4.1.0+Jivelite on Pi 3B+ with Waveshare 3.5 TFT (clone), according to updated procedure pughx2 picore3.html
=> Each time Jivelite starts, but in a 'low-color' mode, and doesn't allow me to pass Display selection (or exits after other display selection).
Touchscreen is calibrated and works OK.
Boot text also displays in 'low-color' mode (mainly blueish, no yellow nor green text).

My bootlog (dmesg) is available here, I can't see what's wrong.
https://pastebin.com/hAD8u2gJ

Ludopi
2019-03-19, 16:51
Hi,
Trying to install several times PiCorePlayer 4.1.0+Jivelite on Pi 3B+ with Waveshare 3.5 TFT (clone), according to updated procedure pughx2 picore3.html
=> Each time Jivelite starts, but in a 'low-color' mode, and doesn't allow me to pass Display selection (or exits after other display selection).
Touchscreen is calibrated and works OK.
Boot text also displays in 'low-color' mode (mainly blueish, no yellow nor green text).

My bootlog (dmesg) is available here, I can't see what's wrong.
https://pastebin.com/hAD8u2gJ

Answer to myself : all 'low color' problems were due to too high frequency in config.txt.
=> recommended value of screen=24000000 (pughx2/picore3 page) was too high for my waveshare 3.5" LCD clone.
=> lowering it to 20000000 did the trick for me.

Hope this helps others (I was getting mad).

pbattino
2019-04-20, 06:10
Answer to myself : all 'low color' problems were due to too high frequency in config.txt.
=> recommended value of screen=24000000 (pughx2/picore3 page) was too high for my waveshare 3.5" LCD clone.
=> lowering it to 20000000 did the trick for me.

Hope this helps others (I was getting mad).

For those who followed the instructions and STILL have problems with colors, this is how I solved it.

(I have a waveshare 3.5" (B) revision 2. THIS IS IMPORTANT: not only the "B", but the "revision 2". Check on the back of the screen, if it's revision 2 you see a "Rev 2" printed on the board)

- I followed http://www.pughx2.com/picore3.html . Works but colours still not quite there. Shut down and remove the SD card, plug it in your computer.

- from this site https://github.com/waveshare/LCD-show I downloaded the file waveshare35b-v2-overlay.dtb (AGAIN: make sure you don't download waveshare35b-overlay.dtb which works but still with wrong colours.)
- save it on the SD card in the folder "overlays".
- edit config.txt and replace dtoverlay=piscreen with dtoverlay=waveshare35b-v2-overlay . That is, same name of the file but without the extension.
- save the file, put it back in the RPI and start it again. Now you should see all the right colours.

fjhuerta
2019-05-17, 04:48
THANK YOU! I got this working on a GoodTFT 3.5" screen and a Raspberry Pi 3B.

Nevertheless, one thing is for certain. At least my screen is borderline unusable. The FPS are so slow as to be almost useless for practically anything. It makes my original SB Touch look like a far more modern unit.

I guess the only sensible thing to do is to run this on a Raspberry Pi Zero W. A 3B+ is a waste of money :/

newbe_Kriss
2019-05-21, 13:36
i have problem, every thing goes ok, screen is in negative how to change ?

piPlayer
2019-05-22, 05:43
i have problem, every thing goes ok, screen is in negative how to change ?
You may need to slow down the frequency of the display. Link (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107366-picoreplayer-3-11-waveshare-3-5-TFT-jivelite-Raspberry-Pi-2B&p=936562&viewfull=1#post936562)