PDA

View Full Version : How to: Pink Noise Loop ???

gregm
2017-05-02, 18:33
Hello!

I would like suggestions please, on how to loop pink noise to break in components...
Particularly new headphones.

I don't want to leave my laptop on/powered (media-server) for the few hundred hours needed, and don't have another server setup as yet.

Transporter stopped playing the looped pink noise track (streamed from internet) that I initiated from media server after a short while when laptop went into sleep mode.

So what would be the best/easiest way to acomplish this, without depending on another device?

BTW... its a brand new transporter, and I figure a little burn in for it wouldn't hurt... along with the new headphones and headphone amp...
This will also be useful for burn in of future new equipment...

TIA!!!!

Greg

kidstypike
2017-05-03, 00:28
You'd be better off posting this in the"Audiophile" section, you'll get a better fight there.

gregm
2017-05-03, 00:35
You'd be better off posting this in the"Audiophile" section, you'll get a better fight there.

Fight?!?! What on earth makes you think I want a fight?!?!
It was just a straight forward question... requiring just a straight forward answer....

kidstypike
2017-05-03, 00:39
Fight?!?! What on earth makes you think I want a fight?!?!
It was just a straight forward question... requiring just a straight forward answer....

OK, here's a straight response, get in touch with these guys, their service may extend to other manufacturers hardware. ;)

http://www.russandrews.com/super-burn-in-service/

gregm
2017-05-03, 00:51
Doood... I don't know what your deal is, but you obviously have some sort of axe to grind....
Why on earth would I need some burn in service.... and pay for it, and ship equipment off, etc....... ?!?!?!

I only need to know how to loop (or stream) a track without leaving a computer on!!!

Perhaps you don't "believe in" burn in or some other such nonsense....
I don't really care, and certainly don't want to debate it.... you're perfectly free to believe whatever...
As are others...

kidstypike
2017-05-03, 00:57
Doood... I don't know what your deal is, but you obviously have some sort of axe to grind....
Why on earth would I need some burn in service.... and pay for it, and ship equipment off, etc....... ?!?!?!

I only need to know how to loop (or stream) a track without leaving a computer on!!!

Perhaps you don't "believe in" burn in or some other such nonsense....
I don't really care, and certainly don't want to debate it.... you're perfectly free to believe whatever...
As are others...

OK, sorry, good luck!

ralphy
2017-05-03, 04:29
You can generate pink noise files using the older 12.17.9 version of sox.

Here's a script I used to create pink and white noise CDs for my better half. It generates 7 10m tracks that fade in and out.

#!/bin/bash

i=1
while true; do
if [ $i -ge 8 ]; then
break
fi

i=`echo ${i} | awk '{printf "%02d", $0}'`

sox -t sl -r 44100 -c 2 /dev/zero -r 44100 -c 2 -w ${i}-pinknoise.wav synth 10:00 pinknoise vol 0.6 fade q 10 10:00 10

i=`expr ${i} + 1`
done

For white noise, change pinknoise to whitenoise.

You can create flac files, tag and add to lms as an album.

gregm
2017-05-03, 23:40
Wow, thats great! Thanks!!
Where do I put the script?

Stoker
2017-05-04, 03:21
Audacity (http://www.audacityteam.org/download/) can generate pink or white noise files if you can't run the Bash script Ralphy posted.

Mnyb
2017-05-05, 20:05
Why not use mysqueezebox.com and play a radio station ?

Transducers (speakers, headphones) can maybe benefit , from this . Electronics not so much .

Otherwise it's usually the user that gets "burned in" as one slowly acclimate one self to the new component

gregm
2017-05-08, 23:19
Why not use mysqueezebox.com and play a radio station ?

Transducers (speakers, headphones) can maybe benefit , from this . Electronics not so much .

Otherwise it's usually the user that gets "burned in" as one slowly acclimate one self to the new component
Can you prove it?
------------------------------

Then why do electronics manufacturers have "burn in racks"???
Why do you check, and often readjust voltages after first run of several hours, of newly built electronics???

If electronics eventually "wear out"... how can it be that they don't "wear-in"... or wear at all.... IE: have a useful life where they change according to a curve?

In this case, its for headphones.... very very stiff diaphrams..

philippe_44
2017-05-14, 09:18
Can you prove it?
------------------------------

Then why do electronics manufacturers have "burn in racks"???
Why do you check, and often readjust voltages after first run of several hours, of newly built electronics???

If electronics eventually "wear out"... how can it be that they don't "wear-in"... or wear at all.... IE: have a useful life where they change according to a curve?

In this case, its for headphones.... very very stiff diaphrams..

Electronics manufacturers, we do burn-in (at elevated T often) to cause early failure for components that have a potential problem. Wafer processes have variability and that creates transistors or metal layers not in spec. It's reliability and sorting, not to adjust parametrics

gregm
2017-05-19, 23:31
Electronics manufacturers, we do burn-in (at elevated T often) to cause early failure for components that have a potential problem. Wafer processes have variability and that creates transistors or metal layers not in spec. It's reliability and sorting, not to adjust parametrics

Why you've made the very point for me!
The point was not that burn in is done to "adjust parametrics".... but rather...
During burn in... THINGS CHANGE!!!!

To cause early failure for components that have a potential problem
It..(burn in) would not DO that..... if it didn't cause things to change!!!!!!!!!!

philippe_44
2017-05-20, 13:32
Why you've made the very point for me!
The point was not that burn in is done to "adjust parametrics".... but rather...
During burn in... THINGS CHANGE!!!!

It..(burn in) would not DO that..... if it didn't cause things to change!!!!!!!!!!

That's a misunderstanding of the nature of digital & semiconductors. That's the same problem, for example, with digital communication vs analogue. Once I have information that takes a finite set of values to transmit, I'm adding an error code (block, convolutional) and then analogue part of the method I'm using to transmitting these finite set values + error code and the variations that happen in that analogue process do not matter. I can use light, modulation of RF, sound, smoke ... In case of smoke, I'll see the color of the smoke and I'll make a weigthed decision to know if this is back or white - then I'm going to pass that through my error correcting code and I'll know if I have X errors and if I can recover them or not. But if the result is no error, the smoke can have been very gray in general, or well differentiated between black and white, it does not matter. If the smoke is very gray, I'll have more case where I'll know that what I've received in incorrect, so I'd need to add a longer error correcting code - that's all

That's the same for semis. Of course things change, over time, temperature, voltage ... but the analogue nature of the change does not change the result in any sort of linear way. Burn-in is to make components pass or fail, not to make them reach their normal operating mode.

I'm not saying that nothing shall be subject to burn-in of course, I'm saying that for the digital part of semi-conductors, it is not a parameteric exercise.