PDA

View Full Version : Announce piCorePlayer 3.20

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

sbp
2017-05-01, 08:34
Hi guys, we are sorry for the late announcement - but pCP 3.20 has been released.

KERNEL/FIRMWARE changes

4.9.21 kernel
rpi firmware - 2017/03/31
config.txt changes to increase usable memory on rpi2/3 by 16M
config.txt changes to decrease videocore memory usage.
rpi Zero-W Support
Allo Boss and Piano-Plus Support
Changed 8192cu driver (same version that OSMC uses)
8812au driver included

Other PCP changes

Squeezelite updated to v1.86-945
ffmpeg updated to 3.17
wiringpi shared libraries included by default. (Used to be static linked to squeezelite).
flac updated to 1.3.2
utf8 support for fat32 partitions
New card configuration system, will help with speed on squeezelite page. Also allows us to add more specific card information.
Set --nomysqueezebox option from web interface
Default LMS install is 7.9.0 released verison
Great updates to pCP jivelite pacakge. Made possible by mherger
pcp Help web site http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net.
This is still a work in progress, where we can easily create web pages with HOTO's and other information. If you have something you would like included, creates a simple web page and let us know.
And last but not least, corrections to the inplace update process
Reloading the reboot page should no longer reboot your pCP device again.
You can now do an insitu_update and change from pcpCore to pcpAudioCore, and vise versa.

For the adventuresome 3.11 users reading this, If you do a hotfix (Near the bottom of the Main Page in Beta Mode), this will install a small fix, that will allow you to do an insitu_update to 3.20.
By my tests, if you are using a 3.11 image, when you install 3.20, you should have about 180k of disk space left on the boot partition. 99% Full. In my mind this is a bit risky, but I suppose if your card is not easily pulled, give this a try. Worse case you have to pull your card and reflash.

Get the files from here: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/download

The pCP-Team

htctyo
2017-05-02, 08:04
wifi in rpi3
I use 3.2 final in rpi3 but internal wifi is fail cannot scan any network
but 3.11 is ok

paul-
2017-05-02, 09:16
wifi in rpi3
but 3.11 is ok

Works just fine on my 2 rpi3 systems, and my zero-w systems. Must be an issue with your router setup, more than likely channel configuration.

merlinus
2017-05-02, 12:44
wifi in rpi3
but 3.11 is ok

I have the same experience. 3.11 audio works perfectly, but 3.20 audio cannot find my wifi network using the scan option.

Back to 3.11 for me!

badsoden
2017-05-02, 12:47
Works perfectly for me. I updated Insitu from 3.11 using the instructions above. I've been quite happily listening to music and radio since.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

paul-
2017-05-02, 12:53
I have the same experience. 3.11 audio works perfectly, but 3.20 audio cannot find my wifi network using the scan option.

Back to 3.11 for me!

Wifi has never been recommended with the Audio version, I should just disable wifi in that version.

eiffel
2017-05-02, 13:52
I've done in-situ upgrades of a Pi2+IQaudio PiDAC+, a Pi3 and Pi3+touchscreen+IQaudio PiDACZero, all without apparent issues.

htctyo
2017-05-02, 15:48
Works just fine on my 2 rpi3 systems, and my zero-w systems. Must be an issue with your router setup, more than likely channel configuration.

I use auto in channel but still fail . what section I need to set I in my rounter I work fine in 3.11 thanks

M-H
2017-05-02, 16:01
I use auto in channel but still fail . what section I need to set I in my rounter I work fine in 3.11 thanks

Please fix your router to use channel 1 and retry. Just to eliminate; sometimes the high channels do clash with the WIFI drivers.
Also verify you did not disable the onboard wifi ( RPi Built-in Wifi must be ON at http:\\x.y.z.h/cgi-bin/wifi.cgi )
You need a wired ethernet connection to check this.

htctyo
2017-05-02, 16:27
already change to 1 still fail
why 3.11 is ok

htctyo
2017-05-02, 16:29
I already set buitin wifi on
but why No wifi devices found!

ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
No wifi devices found!

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr B8:27:EB:62:DF:ED
inet addr:192.168.0.106 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1923 errors:0 dropped:11 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1132 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:205852 (201.0 KiB) TX bytes:270540 (264.1 KiB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr B8:27:EB:37:8A:B8
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

paul-
2017-05-02, 18:40
already change to 1 still fail
why 3.11 is ok

Because 3.11 uses a 4.4.39 based kernel, and 3.20 uses a 4.9.21 based kernel. The drivers have quite a few changes. Plus the RPi 3 wifi is still a very flawed hardware implementation.

Please confirm that you are using the kernel version 4.9.21-pcpCore_v7. This is shown in the footer of the web pages.

jclctr
2017-05-03, 14:11
I used the hot fix and continued with the in situ update. No problems and the connection to my WiFi dongle fired right up. RPi3 with HiFiBerry Digi+ hat, TP Link WiFi dongle, Adafruit 5.25V 2A power supply with Monoprice USB power cable with ferrite core. piCorePlayer 3.20 Audio Version on 8GB Samsung Evo micro SD card. It might be my imagination but I think it may sound better than the 3.11 version. Call me crazy.

paul-
2017-05-03, 19:02
Glad you like it. The kernel continues to evolve, there are many sound system changes in the 4.9 kernels. Some of those patches would have been backported into the 4.4.39 Audio kernel......now they are in the default kernel.

htctyo
2017-05-03, 19:50
Please confirm that you are using the kernel version 4.9.21-pcpCore_v7. This is shown in the footer of the web pages. ?

piCorePlayer | piCorePlayer v3.20 | linux 4.9.21-pcpAudioCore_v7 | piCore v8.01 | Squeezelite v1.8.6-957 | Thu May 4 10:49:19 HKT 2017
still No wifi devices found!
I already change my rounter to channel 1

How to solve it .

ian_heys
2017-05-04, 02:43
Finally up and running on Pi3B server/player with Arcam rPac external DAC and Pi3Bplayer with Topping VX2 external DAC/Amp. No issues, don't use wifi.

During the transition:

1.The SD card latch on my old Pi2B player finally gave up the ghost and had to get a Pi3B replacement. Considered using epoch1970's NetBoot but found out only available on Pi3's.

2.One of my Homeplug units developed an intermittent fault and had to be replaced.

3.I was trying to test bpa's BBC iPlayer enchancement to receive the BBC Radio 3 test flac stream.

It took a while.

htctyo
2017-05-04, 03:59
wifi in rpi3

But why some people said it can use internal wifi for rpi3b on3.2. Ver
I want to use wifi can solve

bsergiu
2017-05-04, 04:12
Hi there,

Thanks for a nice streaming client, that piCorePlayer is! Superior to- , and more robust than all other open source alternatives.

One question: Can you please include the shairport-sync.config in the distribution per default, and move the command line param config into equivalents there. In this way, we have the freedom to configure it as we want. Surely, I can do it myself afterwards - which I did, but I cannot override the command line params, as they have higher prio than the config file. Also, please note that this is now the official way to configure Shairport-sync; command line params are obsolete.

One more thing: can you please compile the shairport-sync with the following option?
--with-metadata Or please share the instructions, how to compile myself (dependencies to be installed, as they probably do not match entirely with the official build documentation). The reason is the following: I am trying to build a simple one-page web dashboard on the device, showing the device info like who is controlling, which streaming protocol is being played, which song and so on. So I need the currently played track and client info from AirPlay, which I would get from the shairport-sync, if compiled with the above option. It would also make sense to include the https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync-metadata-reader into the image.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sergiu

PS: If you re-compile, can we have the 3.0.2 version ? I have compiled and tried it myselfon another platform and it works quite well. However, I am a piCorePlayer fan, ;) not willing to switch to other platforms.

htctyo
2017-05-04, 04:24
wifi in rpi3

But why some people said it can use internal wifi for rpi3b on3.2. Ver
I want to use wifi can solve

paul-
2017-05-04, 07:45
htctyo

From your response, you are using the AudioCore version. That does not work with wifi. Please use the Regular version

piCorePlayer3.20.zip (https://sourceforge.net/projects/picoreplayer/files/insitu/piCorePlayer3.20/piCorePlayer3.20.zip/download)

bsergiu
2017-05-04, 08:43
Hi,

I am using the 3.20 version with RPi 1, HIFIBerry DAC and Edimax WiFi. shairport-sync is hanging after a while. Playback stopps, no cpu load, and if I switch to Squeezelite, it cannot take over the sound card so it fails playing as well.
I am trying to turn on logging by adding the shairport-sync.conf file under /usr/local/etc . Other settings from the config file are loaded and taken into account by shairport-sync, however, no log file is created under /var/log, no matter which log level do I set.

Any idea how to turn on logging for Shairport-sync on piCoreplayer ?

Thanks,

Sergiu

psketch
2017-05-04, 14:32
My music library is on a FAT32 formatted USB hard drive which I've mounted via the built in Samba UI. I can see the mount fine, but can't write to it - I just get permission denied. Any ideas?

paul-
2017-05-04, 19:21
Its not you. I thought I had this fixed, but obviously not. But it never came up as an issue during the beta. I'm gonna send you a PM.

bluetdi
2017-05-04, 22:47
If this is an issue, I will have it when trying Samba these days. Please send me the PM also.

htctyo
2017-05-04, 23:40
If I connect to my external USB DAC to listen music
Any different between 3.2 audio and normal ver. I meant the sound quality.
Before I use 3.1 audio ver with WiFi is OK but I cannot use 3.2 audio with Wifi.
so I change to use 3.2 normal ver.

3.2 normal sound will poor than audio ver. ? if I only connect to ext USB DAC with USB cable

mo-ca
2017-05-05, 00:18
Hi,
can someone describe me the correct way for setting up a tft display in piCorePlayer? I have a Pi Zero with an Adafruit 2.8" PiTFT attached and want to used it via jivelite.

What do I need to do to change from HDMI (where jivelite already displays itself) to my tft, which currently only shows a white screen?!?

psketch
2017-05-05, 04:15
Its not you. I thought I had this fixed, but obviously not. But it never came up as an issue during the beta. I'm gonna send you a PM.

Hi Paul

Thanks - I sent you a PM back, but not sure if it went - let me know if you didn't get it.

pete S

ralphy
2017-05-05, 06:14
Hi there,

Thanks for a nice streaming client, that piCorePlayer is! Superior to- , and more robust than all other open source alternatives.

One question: Can you please include the shairport-sync.config in the distribution per default, and move the command line param config into equivalents there. In this way, we have the freedom to configure it as we want. Surely, I can do it myself afterwards - which I did, but I cannot override the command line params, as they have higher prio than the config file. Also, please note that this is now the official way to configure Shairport-sync; command line params are obsolete.

One more thing: can you please compile the shairport-sync with the following option?
--with-metadata Or please share the instructions, how to compile myself (dependencies to be installed, as they probably do not match entirely with the official build documentation). The reason is the following: I am trying to build a simple one-page web dashboard on the device, showing the device info like who is controlling, which streaming protocol is being played, which song and so on. So I need the currently played track and client info from AirPlay, which I would get from the shairport-sync, if compiled with the above option. It would also make sense to include the https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync-metadata-reader into the image.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sergiu

PS: If you re-compile, can we have the 3.0.2 version ? I have compiled and tried it myselfon another platform and it works quite well. However, I am a piCorePlayer fan, ;) not willing to switch to other platforms.

I've updated the shairport-sync package to 3.0.2 with metadata enabled, included shairport-sync-metadata-reader and updated the init.d script to enable metadata (using /tmp/shairport-sync-metadata) with picture support.

I did not add the configuration file option as changes to other scripts in pcp is also required, perhaps we can add it in a later version.

Turn off shairport in the webgui, reboot, and enable shairport again to update to 3.0.2

tc@rpibp-wls:~$ /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync -V
3.0.2-OpenSSL-tinysvcmdns-ALSA-stdout-pipe-soxr-metadata-sysconfdir:/usr/local/etc

steff
2017-05-05, 08:02
I am a newbie using pCP, but I am experiencing better sound quality with pCP 3.11 than 3.20
Lot of pops and cracks with 3.20, very few with 3.11, let me say with 3.11 almost zero if I avoid to use the touch LCD.

Anyone some feedbacks on this matter?

paul-
2017-05-05, 09:11
If I connect to my external USB DAC to listen music
Any different between 3.2 audio and normal ver. I meant the sound quality.
Before I use 3.1 audio ver with WiFi is OK but I cannot use 3.2 audio with Wifi.
so I change to use 3.2 normal ver.

3.2 normal sound will poor than audio ver. ? if I only connect to ext USB DAC with USB cable

I would suspect that less than 5% of users can tell any difference in sound quality between the two version.

paul-
2017-05-05, 09:14
I am a newbie using pCP, but I am experiencing better sound quality with pCP 3.11 than 3.20
Lot of pops and cracks with 3.20, very few with 3.11, let me say with 3.11 almost zero if I avoid to use the touch LCD.

Anyone some feedbacks on this matter?

Most of the sound development on the RPi system is for i2s sound cards. USB Dac's are always going to be problematic with the rpi.

Post the specific information about your USB dac, and perhaps someone else has the same dac that has figured out settings that work.

kbeast
2017-05-05, 13:21
Is it me or has ghe audio changed in 3.20 from 3.02 where the treble is a bit forward/artifical?
Im using pi2 with hifiberry digi+ and 3.20audio that uses optical into a schiit bifrost uber dac (most of the time).

bsergiu
2017-05-05, 13:40
I've updated the shairport-sync package to 3.0.2 with metadata enabled, included shairport-sync-metadata-reader and updated the init.d script to enable metadata (using /tmp/shairport-sync-metadata) with picture support.

I did not add the configuration file option as changes to other scripts in pcp is also required, perhaps we can add it in a later version.

Turn off shairport in the webgui, reboot, and enable shairport again to update to 3.0.2

3.0.2-OpenSSL-tinysvcmdns-ALSA-stdout-pipe-soxr-metadata-sysconfdir:/usr/local/etc

You guys rock ! Thanks a lot, I will try this right away! I also hope that it will solve other issues I have with shairplay-sync via wifi. Will keep you posted!

Thanks,

Sergiu

steff
2017-05-05, 13:45
Most of the sound development on the RPi system is for i2s sound cards. USB Dac's are always going to be problematic with the rpi.

Post the specific information about your USB dac, and perhaps someone else has the same dac that has figured out settings that work.

I understand, but since the very same Rpi3 work great with the official Raspian + MPD + the same USB DAC even to 384 kHz, I suppose that is something not dependent to the HW.

Anyway the DAC is this: HiFace DAC by M2Tech
http://www.m2tech.biz/it/hiface_dac.html

I am listening right now and confirm that 3.11 is better that 3.20 and playing without the touch LCD is better than with the LCD.

Moreover, since until 6 month ago I was running the "old" Rpi2, I can confirm that on the Rpi2 pCP is really better than pure MPD: I suppose that MPD cunsumes more CPU and the Rpi2 + MPD can not compete with PCP that is very very light.

Thanks.

paul-
2017-05-05, 15:58
You will find that squeezlite/alsa is a different animal than MPD.

Anyway, What is your output setting on the squeezelite page.......then also expand the "more" and let us know what are the outputs found by squeezelite.

bsergiu
2017-05-06, 07:58

Hi Ralphy,

Once again thanks for everything. I have been testing it now for a while and sweating a bit :confused: There are some issues with shairport-sync in general; on WiFi especially, but not only. Per default, it tries to run some frame synchronization algorithms which eat quite some CPU on the RPi 1 (above 80%), and this produces anoying cracks, interruption, and in the end it stops playing. There are a lot of posts around this, many user experience this - not only on piCorePlayer. After testing and talks to mikebrady, I have managed to create a config file for shairport-sync which dramatically improves the listening experience, especially via WiFi. I am sharing this config here with you, I suggest to include this in the distribution. The only thing to do is to include this new file: /usr/local/etc/shairport-sync.conf (for sure I have adapted the /opt/.filetool.lst to make it survive over reboots). The start script of shairport-sync can stay as it is now; you can remove the command line params from the script whenever (later) you want. In fact, I have included them in the config file. The metadata stuff is disabled in my config, as it eats again CPU on RPi 1.

here's the file.

Thanks again for everything,

Sergiu

icebreaker
2017-05-06, 08:40
Hi all

I have tried to update from 3.02 to the latest version, but there is no support for the I2S Cards anymore.
Do you have removed this?

I use a RPi1 with a Hifiberry Digi Card over I2S.

Regards Ice

paul-
2017-05-06, 11:14
Hi all

I have tried to update from 3.02 to the latest version, but there is no support for the I2S Cards anymore.
Do you have removed this?

I use a RPi1 with a Hifiberry Digi Card over I2S.

Regards Ice

3.02 would not have the ability to update, you need to download a new image and reflash your SD card. If you did start from a fresh image, re flash your card again, and start over.

steff
2017-05-06, 16:25
I would suspect that less than 5% of users can tell any difference in sound quality between the two version.

I do not think to be part of this 5%
I suppose there is "something" in the 3.20 that causes pops and cracks. I do not talk about overall sound quality, but sporadic noise that increases with incresing sample rate.
Of course it is not dependent on hardware because, as I told, MPD does not suffers.

I suppose that the LCD and touch interface makes some differences, since without is really better.
Do not know if it helps: Volumio is build on MPD + some front end.
Pure Volumio is as perfect as pure MPD, but adding the LCD\touch plugin... it is a nightmare for my hears ... really terrible.

P.S.: I run everything on the same Rpi3, even the LMS.

Thank-you very much.

Gerhardc
2017-05-07, 08:06
I have intalled the extension acl-dev.tcz and the /usr/local/bin/sds.sh in the Tweaks Setting. This was working with 3.10, but not on 3.20. The sds.sh command is missing if i reboot RPI3.

Any Help?

paul-
2017-05-07, 08:27
I have intalled the extension acl-dev.tcz and the /usr/local/bin/sds.sh in the Tweaks Setting. This was working with 3.10, but not on 3.20. The sds.sh command is missing if i reboot RPI3.

Any Help?

That is not the correct package. You need Audiophonics-powerscript.tcz

Make sure you select the piCorePlayer Sourceforge Repository.

icebreaker
2017-05-07, 08:33
I have tried a few times to reflash the card. I have also tried both Images and also the older Version.
Still no other Cards in the Dropdown menu.

Regards Ice

gbcambridge
2017-05-07, 08:34
Hi,
I am planning to migrate my HiFI to an rpi 3 with piCorePlayer. I will install the rpi within a preamplifer (DIY, Self-Huff design). I would like to add Alexa into this mix for music selection. The rpi will output via the gpio to an external DAC.
One of the attractions of piCorePlayer is that the file structure is protected in the event of a power fail (or an OFF on the preamp). However, can anyone advise about the use of Alexa with piCorePlayer? I am hoping that the benefits of protected file system are not lost. If they are then I need to implement a power-off facility...which I would like to avoid if possible.
The rpi should be running headless in a non-techie environent.

Thanks for any advice or help on this

mherger
2017-05-07, 09:20
> I am planning to migrate my HiFI to an rpi 3 with piCorePlayer. I will
> install the rpi within a preamplifer (DIY, Self-Huff design). I would
> like to add Alexa into this mix for music selection. The rpi will output
> via the gpio to an external DAC.

I don't think pCP is the right place to start an Alexa enabled device.
It's a minimal distro optimized for music playback from a LMS. You'd
have to implement Alexa on the LMS server. Which is something somebody
has been working on for a while. Check the forum for "Alexa".

--

Michael

kbeast
2017-05-07, 19:03
I have tried a few times to reflash the card. I have also tried both Images and also the older Version.
Still no other Cards in the Dropdown menu.

Regards Ice

I had similar issue, select the hifi digi+, (i believe). It'll ask to reboot, click no, now select your card will appear and select it, reboot

Gerhardc
2017-05-08, 05:15
Paul,

the Audiophonics Powerbutton switch works now perfect on Picoreplayer 3.20.

Many thanks.

icebreaker
2017-05-08, 11:36
Thanks kbeast for this tip, but didn't work for me.
I have also no digi+ I can choose. The onlz option I have is:
Hifiberry AMP (and +)
Hifiberry DAC Zero/MiniAMP

I have also checked MD5 hashes before and have tried both Version of the Image 3.2

Regards Ice

sbp
2017-05-08, 12:02
Thanks kbeast for this tip, but didn't work for me.
I have also no digi+ I can choose. The onlz option I have is:
Hifiberry AMP (and +)
Hifiberry DAC Zero/MiniAMP

I have also checked MD5 hashes before and have tried both Version of the Image 3.2

Regards Ice

Hi
I just noticed that the population of the dropdown list is very slow especially on a piZerro.
Please try to update the webpage by pressing ctrl F5 a few times.

Steen

MikeDaPsych
2017-05-08, 12:26
I'm running 3.20 on a rpi1 model B 256MB and am having problems getting shairport working. Shairport worked OK on 3.02, albeit with the occasional interruptions in audio, but usable.

Squeezelite v1.8.6-957

tc@hipi:~$ /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync -V

The shairport process is running and takes ~35% CPU when connected as an output device from an iDevice. I just don't get any audio.

I'm running a Topping VX1 USB DAC and have the ALSA equaliser enabled.

My command lines for squeezelite and shairport are as follows:

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n HiPi -o equal -a 80 4 1 -r 96000 -m b8 27 eb b3 9b d2 -s 192.168.0.2 -C 15
/usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync -a HiPi -o alsa -S soxr -d -D -R --metadata-pipename=/tmp/shairport-sync-metadata --get-coverart -- -d $USBOUTPUT

Anything obviously wrong? Is the combination of shairport, USB audio and ALSA equaliser a good combo?

Any help, suggestions etc. gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mike

icebreaker
2017-05-08, 12:27
Hi Steen

I have tried a few times and also some reboots. The list is still the same.
Is there a option I can check over the shell? Or can I made the setting over the shell?

Ice

sbp
2017-05-08, 13:35
Hi Steen

I have tried a few times and also some reboots. The list is still the same.
Is there a option I can check over the shell? Or can I made the setting over the shell?

Ice

could you poste the content of /tmp/dropdown.cfg

steen

Squeeze4Ever
2017-05-08, 15:06
Hello piCorePlayer Team,

some month's ago i used the version 3.11 on two RP3B boards. If needed the internal Wifi works fine.
After update to 3.20 i play a little with it and i use the option "RPi Built-in Wif"i OFF. After that some drivers will be removed? Maybe that's oke.
Now i use "RPi Built-in Wif"i ON. Some drivers will be loaded an installed correct, but now the system don't find any WiFi hardware.
I did some reboot's etc. but no change to reactivate the internal Wifi.

No wifi devices found!

Possible error:

1. USB wifi adapter missing - insert adapter.
2. wifi drivers and firmware missing - reboot required.

What i should do?

Also i have an additional wish. Is it possible to add an feature that the Wifi can connect to hidden SSID. I think the line "scan_ssid=1" are necessary but maybe that's not all :-)

Best regards
Oli

Squeeze4Ever
2017-05-08, 15:09
Hello piCorePlayer Team,

some month's ago i used the version 3.11 on two RP3B boards. If needed the internal Wifi works fine.
After update to 3.20 i play a little with it and i use the option "RPi Built-in Wif"i OFF. After that some drivers will be removed? Maybe that's oke.
Now i use "RPi Built-in Wif"i ON. Some drivers will be loaded an installed correct, but now the system don't find any WiFi hardware.
I did some reboot's etc. but no change to reactivate the internal Wifi.

No wifi devices found!

Possible error:

1. USB wifi adapter missing - insert adapter.
2. wifi drivers and firmware missing - reboot required.

What i should do?
Also i have an additional wish. Is it possible to add an feature that the Wifi can connect to hidden SSID. I think the line "scan_ssid=1" are necessary but maybe that's not all :-)

Best regards
Oli

kbeast
2017-05-08, 17:56
Hifiberry AMP (and +)

This is what i selected, then chose not to reboot and looked at the list asin and the digi+ was there..

Not sure if doing it from a PC rather than phone wouldve helped..

kbeast
2017-05-08, 18:00
Is it me or has ghe audio changed in 3.20 from 3.02 where the treble is a bit forward/artifical?
Im using pi2 with hifiberry digi+ and 3.20audio that uses optical into a schiit bifrost uber dac (most of the time).

I tried a new dac, sound blaster e5, same setup, a lot of crackling and artifacts with 3.20 on this dac like others said, but since it was my firat time i will try 3.02 and see if i have the problem, maybe its the dac..

The treble problem seems to still exist, not as much on the sound blaster, but they sound worlds different as they arent even in the same league..

Greg Erskine
2017-05-08, 18:52
Hi MikeDaPsych,

Should "-o alsa" be "-o ALSA" ?

I find "-C 15" can cause pops between tracks.

AFAIK none of the pCP developers use USB DACs so issues have to be solved by users.

We recommend using shairport plugin on LMS rather than pCP.

regards
Greg

bsergiu
2017-05-09, 00:58
I'm running 3.20 on a rpi1 model B 256MB and am having problems getting shairport working. Shairport worked OK on 3.02, albeit with the occasional interruptions in audio, but usable.

Squeezelite v1.8.6-957

tc@hipi:~$ /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync -V

The shairport process is running and takes ~35% CPU when connected as an output device from an iDevice. I just don't get any audio.

I'm running a Topping VX1 USB DAC and have the ALSA equaliser enabled.

My command lines for squeezelite and shairport are as follows:

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n HiPi -o equal -a 80 4 1 -r 96000 -m b8 27 eb b3 9b d2 -s 192.168.0.2 -C 15
/usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync -a HiPi -o alsa -S soxr -d -D -R --metadata-pipename=/tmp/shairport-sync-metadata --get-coverart -- -d $USBOUTPUT

Anything obviously wrong? Is the combination of shairport, USB audio and ALSA equaliser a good combo?

Any help, suggestions etc. gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I also have been fighting to get the shairport running, and it works without pops, but with some tricks. You need to place a config file called shairport-sync.conf under the /usr/local/etc - see the last part of the output of your shairport-sync -V command. The newest versions of the shairport-sync are to be configured like that. In this config file, you basically need to disable synchronization (this causes pops in the sound, because the RPi cpu cannot always keep-up with the load of the resync algorythm), also give it a 1 sec buffer, plus some other tweeks. I am attaching my config file here, try to copy this under the location mentioned. If you want this to survive over reboots, add the file name in the /opt/.filetool.lst (skip the first slash in the path!) and run sudo filetool.sh -b.

If you want the sample config file of shairport-sync, with all settings commented out, check this: https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/blob/master/scripts/shairport-sync.conf

I hope this helps getting a pleasent airplai listening experience.

Thanks,

Sergiu

MikeDaPsych
2017-05-09, 01:30
Hi Mike,

I also have been fighting to get the shairport running, and it works without pops, but with some tricks. You need to place a config file called shairport-sync.conf under the /usr/local/etc - see the last part of the output of your shairport-sync -V command. The newest versions of the shairport-sync are to be configured like that. In this config file, you basically need to disable synchronization (this causes pops in the sound, because the RPi cpu cannot always keep-up with the load of the resync algorythm), also give it a 1 sec buffer, plus some other tweeks. I am attaching my config file here, try to copy this under the location mentioned. If you want this to survive over reboots, add the file name in the /opt/.filetool.lst (skip the first slash in the path!) and run sudo filetool.sh -b.

If you want the sample config file of shairport-sync, with all settings commented out, check this: https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync/blob/master/scripts/shairport-sync.conf

Thanks,

Sergiu

Many thanks, guys. I'll give your suggestions a try and get back to you with my findings.

Mike

tingtong5
2017-05-09, 01:52
I am happy with my Picoreplayer based DIY streamer with Allo Kali board, it's working well and sounding good :-)

However I do have one issue, when switching between albums there is this loud digital crack, which I am afraid might damage my expensive tweeters. It does not happen when skipping to the next track within the same album. Can this be an issue of picoreplayer? Is there a possibiliy to mute output during silence, like a cd player does?

I am using picoreplayer (squeezelite and LMS). And the I2S output of the Allo Kali board is connected to a AK4396 DAC chip with short leads (< 6 cm).

I attached a picture of my Pi/Kali/PiCorePlayer based streamer :-)

steff
2017-05-09, 05:45
Hi MikeDaPsych,

AFAIK none of the pCP developers use USB DACs so issues have to be solved by users.

regards
Greg

I understand but let me add some considerations:
- in the liquid music era, no matter how the streamer is expensive or not... bitperfect is bitperfect, regardless the cost.
It as been proved in so much environments that a cheap bitperfect streamer is equal to an expensive one, from a numeric point of view.
So we could welcome streamers based on pCP or MPD or other technologies even in high end setups
- the DAC makes the difference.
- I am not aware of high end i2s DAC. I tested several of them and we are far from a 500 or 1000 € DAC working with async USB.

I really do not pretend that the developer team works even with high end product, but an async USB DAC is as cheap as an i2s DAC, so... whay not test it?

Yesterday evening i completed some test with the help of a friend and we included: M2Tech DAC, Cambridge Audio SM Plus DAC and a 500 € Teac DAC.

M900
2017-05-09, 12:24
Hi,

I have prepared my Raspberry Pi 3 for boot from a USB drive. Installation of piCorePlayer on the USB drive was no problem. The system is booting without any problems, Player is running. If I now change from analog output to hifiberry DAC+ than the squeezelite is not running after reboot. Manual start is also not possible.
I plan to mount the raspberry in a DIY case. The RJ45 and USB ports of the raspberry are available on the back-panel. From my point of view, boot piCorePlayer from USB drive would be a great benefit. Is there any chance to get this working?

Cheers
Jörg

MikeDaPsych
2017-05-09, 13:09
Hi Mike,

Thanks,

Sergiu

Sergiu,

Many thanks for a superb response. I followed your instructions and managed to get shairport-sync working :D BUT:

1) I can direct shairport audio through the ALSA equaliser by changing the following line in the config file:

output_device = "equal";

This only works if the shairport-sync process is run from root. Running as the tc user produces no audio output.

Setting the output_device to my USB DAC (sysdefault:CARD=VX1), I can run shairport-sync as the tc user and get audio output. Strange...

2) How can I get the default invocation of shairport-sync to use the config file exclusively rather than setting parameters on the command line?

Restarting shairport-sync via the webgui, the cmdline looks like:

which produces no audio as the output device is incorrect.

To get audio, I just use a plain /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync with no cmdine arguments (since they come from the config file!!)

Can I edit the default shairport-sync invocation cmdline anywhere?

Many thanks for your help,

Mike

icebreaker
2017-05-09, 13:42

steen

The Content is:

Analog:selected:Analog audio:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
HDMI:notselected:HDMI audio:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
USB:notselected:USB audio:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
allo_boss_dac:notselected:Allo Boss DAC:HAT_ALL
allo_piano_dac:notselected:Allo Piano DAC:HAT_ALL
allo_piano_dac_plus:notselected:Allo Piano DAC Plus 2.1/2.2:HAT_ALL
dion_loco_dac:notselected:Dion Audio LOCO:HAT_ALL
ess9023:notselected:ESS9023 DAC:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
generic_ess:notselected:Generic/simple ESS9023 DAC:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
generic_ti:notselected:Generic/simple TI5102 DAC:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
hifi_amp:notselected:HiFiBerry AMP (and +):HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
hifi_dac+:notselected:HiFiBerry DAC+ (and Pro):HAT_ALL
hifi_dac+_light:notselected:HiFiBerry DAC+ Light:HAT_ALL
hifi_dac:notselected:HiFiBerry DAC Zero/MiniAMP:HAT_ALL_NO_HAT
hifi_digi:notselected:HiFiBerry Digi and Digi+:HAT_ALL
hifi_digi_pro:notselected:HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro:HAT_ALL
iq_amp:notselected:IQaudIO AMP+:HAT_ALL
iq_dac+:notselected:IQaudIO DAC+:HAT_ALL
iq_dac:notselected:IQaudIO DAC:ALL_NO_HAT
iq_digi+:notselected:IQaudIO DIGI+:HAT_ALL
isabre_9023:notselected:I-Sabre-ES9023 DAC:HAT_ALL
justboom_dac:notselected:JustBoom DAC/AMP (and Zero/AMP):HAT_ALL
justboom_digi:notselected:JustBoom Digi (and Zero):HAT_ALL
mambo_hifi:notselected:Mamboberry-HiFi-DAC+:HAT_ALL
raspidac3:notselected:RaspiDAC Rev.3x:HAT_ALL
rpi_dac:notselected:RPi DAC:HAT_ALL

Looks like the list has more entry then the webgui wants to show me...

Ice

icebreaker
2017-05-09, 13:44

steen

This is the Content:

Looks like the webgui don't want to show me all the entries from the list...

Ice

paul-
2017-05-09, 17:59
However I do have one issue, when switching between albums there is this loud digital crack, which I am afraid might damage my expensive tweeters. It does not happen when skipping to the next track within the same album. Can this be an issue of picoreplayer? Is there a possibiliy to mute output during silence, like a cd player does?

Is there sample rate changes between the two albums. But no we don't have a provision to mute the dac between tracks, that is normally handled in the DAC driver or the DAC itself.

sbp
2017-05-09, 21:32
This is the Content:

Looks like the webgui don't want to show me all the entries from the list...

Ice

Fine then I'm pretty sure that you only have to refresh the webpage. Did you ever try the ctrl F5 that I suggested?

steen

avdleeuw
2017-05-10, 03:17
Hi!

I've been happily using pCP for a few months now. As I'm living in the Netherlands, I tend to listen to this station a lot: icecast.omroep.nl/3fm-bb-mp3

However, since upgrading to 3.20 (regular), I'm not able to hear any audio from this stream anymore (or from associated stations). I can see that squeezelite connects to the stream and receives data, as the artist & title in the display are updated. As said, however, there is NO sound.

I went back to 3.11 and updated squeezelite to the same version as in 3.20 and the streams are audible, so it's not an issue in squeezelite itself (1.8.6-957). Also other streams and MP3 files played through LMS are audible as usual on 3.20. So it seems to be specific to these stations.

What can I do to analyze/resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Ard

tingtong5
2017-05-10, 08:58
Is there sample rate changes between the two albums. But no we don't have a provision to mute the dac between tracks, that is normally handled in the DAC driver or the DAC itself.
No, all files are 44.1 kHz, however I do use squeezelite upsampling options, but it also is always the same (176,4 kHz).

There is no DAC driver in this case, since I am using I2S connection.

bsergiu
2017-05-10, 09:21
Sergiu,

Many thanks for a superb response. I followed your instructions and managed to get shairport-sync working :D BUT:

1) I can direct shairport audio through the ALSA equaliser by changing the following line in the config file:

output_device = "equal";

This only works if the shairport-sync process is run from root. Running as the tc user produces no audio output.

Setting the output_device to my USB DAC (sysdefault:CARD=VX1), I can run shairport-sync as the tc user and get audio output. Strange...

2) How can I get the default invocation of shairport-sync to use the config file exclusively rather than setting parameters on the command line?

Restarting shairport-sync via the webgui, the cmdline looks like:

which produces no audio as the output device is incorrect.

To get audio, I just use a plain /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync with no cmdine arguments (since they come from the config file!!)

Can I edit the default shairport-sync invocation cmdline anywhere?

Many thanks for your help,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am glad it helped. Indeed, the command line params supersede the config file. That means, your output setting in the config file does not count if you run it with the script provided per default.
Ralphy was kind enough to compile the latest version of the shairport-sync, i.e. 3.20, however he did not manage yet to switch to a complete config-based shairport-sync installation. I was asking him also if possible to remove all command line params and introduce the config file by default. I guess this will be there in the near future. In the meanwhile, what you can do is create somewhere a start script which just starts shairport-sync as a daemon, with no other params (caution, I am talking about the shairport-sync executable, not the script under /usr/local/etc/init.d). Secure this script by adding it's filename in the /opt/.filetool.sh and running sudo filetool.sh -b afterwards. Ensure that at startup, the previous shairport-sync is killed and your script is launched. You can do so by adding a command to kill it sudo shairport-sync -k and a commandline to launch your script under /opt/bootlocal.sh. And then, of course, the magic incantation: sudo filetool.sh -b.

I have to say that I have tried this myself with previous versions of piCorePlayer, where I added shairport manually, as it was not there. It should work though with the latest piCoreplayer version, as this is still a standard mechanism.

One more thing: I do not think that you need to start shairport-sync as root in order to work with the config. The point is, that the WebGui starts the script /usr/local/etc/init.d/shairport-sync, which has the command line params and causes your config file settings to be partially ignored (overlapping settings are ignored). When you start it manually by typing shairport-sync, it starts the real executable under /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync, and since you do not pass all those params as command line, it takes the config file completely into account, and thus your desired output settings. This is why I gave the hint above to start the executable, not the .../init.d/shairport-sync script.

I hope this helps,

Sergiu

PS: @Ralphy: Can you please simply remove the command line params (except the daemon one) from the start script and include the file that Ihave shared? Thanks a lot in advance!

icebreaker
2017-05-10, 10:36
Fine then I'm pretty sure that you only have to refresh the webpage. Did you ever try the ctrl F5 that I suggested?

steen

Yes I have tried a few times to refresh with ctrl + f5.
Can I do the setting over ssh? So then I don't care if it's only a gui "bug".

Edit: I have also tried with Firefox and Chrome

Ice

MikeDaPsych
2017-05-10, 13:56
Hi Mike,

I am glad it helped. Indeed, the command line params supersede the config file. That means, your output setting in the config file does not count if you run it with the script provided per default.
Ralphy was kind enough to compile the latest version of the shairport-sync, i.e. 3.20, however he did not manage yet to switch to a complete config-based shairport-sync installation. I was asking him also if possible to remove all command line params and introduce the config file by default. I guess this will be there in the near future. In the meanwhile, what you can do is create somewhere a start script which just starts shairport-sync as a daemon, with no other params (caution, I am talking about the shairport-sync executable, not the script under /usr/local/etc/init.d). Secure this script by adding it's filename in the /opt/.filetool.sh and running sudo filetool.sh -b afterwards. Ensure that at startup, the previous shairport-sync is killed and your script is launched. You can do so by adding a command to kill it sudo shairport-sync -k and a commandline to launch your script under /opt/bootlocal.sh. And then, of course, the magic incantation: sudo filetool.sh -b.

I have to say that I have tried this myself with previous versions of piCorePlayer, where I added shairport manually, as it was not there. It should work though with the latest piCoreplayer version, as this is still a standard mechanism.

One more thing: I do not think that you need to start shairport-sync as root in order to work with the config. The point is, that the WebGui starts the script /usr/local/etc/init.d/shairport-sync, which has the command line params and causes your config file settings to be partially ignored (overlapping settings are ignored). When you start it manually by typing shairport-sync, it starts the real executable under /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync, and since you do not pass all those params as command line, it takes the config file completely into account, and thus your desired output settings. This is why I gave the hint above to start the executable, not the .../init.d/shairport-sync script.

I hope this helps,

Sergiu

PS: @Ralphy: Can you please simply remove the command line params (except the daemon one) from the start script and include the file that Ihave shared? Thanks a lot in advance!

Sergiu,

I used the User commands facility to implement what you suggested as a temporary workaround until the config file is the default means of configuring shairport-sync.

A User command #1 of 'shairport-sync -k; shairport-sync -d' works for me, killing the default process before starting a 'blank' daemon. For some reason, splitting the commands across two User commands fails but having them both on a single line works.

Obviously, this only works when piCoreplayer is rebooted. Just restarting squeezelite and shairport-sync from the web interface causes the default command line options to be used :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help,

Mike

bsergiu
2017-05-10, 16:15
Sergiu,

I used the User commands facility to implement what you suggested as a temporary workaround until the config file is the default means of configuring shairport-sync.

A User command #1 of 'shairport-sync -k; shairport-sync -d' works for me, killing the default process before starting a 'blank' daemon. For some reason, splitting the commands across two User commands fails but having them both on a single line works.

Obviously, this only works when piCoreplayer is rebooted. Just restarting squeezelite and shairport-sync from the web interface causes the default command line options to be used :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Glad I could help. I guess I am hacking my RPi s too much these days :rolleyes:, so I completelly forgot that there are easier ways :) Thanks for the feedback!

Sergiu

sbp
2017-05-10, 21:30
Yes I have tried a few times to refresh with ctrl + f5.
Can I do the setting over ssh? So then I don't care if it's only a gui "bug".

Edit: I have also tried with Firefox and Chrome

Ice
I'm sorry for all your trouble.
what kind of RPi are you using?

You could try to select "beta" mode from the main page in the bottom of the screen. And then go back to the squeezelite page.
Steen

bb3ii
2017-05-10, 22:35
Really enjoying the 3.20 with my Pi2 /Kali / Piano 2.1; even managed to get the DSP functioning.

What are the chances of getting the dual mono capability of the Piano 2.1 added to piCorePlayer? I have been using it now and then with Volumio and it is a subtle but notable improvement, for Volumio at least. Fairly certain piCore would be a very admirable platform for implementing this technique.

Anyone care to endorse this thought?

DJDR
2017-05-11, 00:24
Really enjoying the 3.20 with my Pi2 /Kali / Piano 2.1; even managed to get the DSP functioning.

What are the chances of getting the dual mono capability of the Piano 2.1 added to piCorePlayer? I have been using it now and then with Volumio and it is a subtle but notable improvement, for Volumio at least. Fairly certain piCore would be a very admirable platform for implementing this technique.

This is also my question. The dual mono setting of the Piano 2.1 is - in my opionion - special because of the imaging. The sound is very open. So, I also hope the dual mono setting of the Piano 2.1 will one day be implemented in Picoreplayer.

steff
2017-05-11, 01:25
I performed a lot of tests and finally I am posting the results.

Keep in mind that I am using Rpi\Rpi2\Rpi3 + Raspbian + pure MPD + USB DAC since years and I never experienced any problems, but I was looking to add a touch\LCD display, so i got the official Raspberry 7'' touch LCD and switched to Volumio, RuneAudio, pCP, etc.

With pure MPD, even with very high resolution up to 384 kHz \ 24 bit, the sound was always perfect, then I started to add the LCD \ Touch.
Of course with pure MPD, even with the LCD, the sound was perfect, but not with pCP :-(

Two main issues with pCP:
1) the WiFi is unstable and the performance poor with pCP 3.20. With the older 3.11 performances always poor, but at least was stable.
Even if I avoid using channels 12 and higher, even if thw built in WiFi connects at 54 Mpbs, performances are very poor and at least 5 times worst than with Raspbian. I suppose it is a driver problem.
Anyway, with the wired Ethernet, pCP sounds perfect.

2) After being sure pCP 3.20 was working very fine with the wired Ethernet, with a fresh SD card just imaged from scratch, I installed Jivelite.
Now playing any high resolution audio will produce randomic noise (pops, glitches, and scratches) during the playback
The higher the resolution, the more frequent the noise.
Increasing the buffer improve very little the performances, but the problem is still present.
Loading the FLAC \ PCM files from the local SD card or from a USB media makes NO differences versus lodading from the NAS
Playing with the LCD \ touch during the playback, will produce immediately noise in the audio. For example, if I change the volume
Anyway, leaving the LCD un-touched, noise is still present. Even controlling the player from the web browser.

Any idea how to work out this problem?
Any suggestion?

Regards.

mherger
2017-05-11, 05:02
I switched over from running LMS on my aging ReadyNAS Duo v2 to pCP on a Pi3 (leaving the music files on the NAS). Nearly every step of the scan (incl. artist artwork processing) is about twice as fast as before. Except for the actual scan where most likely network I/O is limiting. The web UI is much snappier. Setup was easy as pie. And it does run some helpers which would fail on the ReadyNAS. Excellent job, guys!

In addition to LMS duties it runs JiveLite using the HD Grid Skin to display information on a spare screen I had sitting around :-)

One question: I decided to set the db memory parameter to "Maximum", expecting the little device to crash during the scan. But it run just fine. zswap seems to be enabled by default now? Or rather not disabled. Because I can't find any trace of it on my Pi.

JadeMonkee
2017-05-11, 10:13
I upgraded to PCP 3.20 (audio version) today from 3.11, removing the SD, flashing it in my PC, and setting up from scratch again.
I have a RPI2 with IQAudio DAC+ and a official 7" touch screen (original version without dimming).
I have the screensaver set to 'Display off' when the player is off.
This used to turn the screen and backlight off, but as of the upgrade, the backlight remains on, even though the screen is black.
Any idea what's changed?
Thanks.

EDIT:
Nevermind, I found some info here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103330-Jivelite-for-piCorePlayer&p=882746&viewfull=1#post882746

On the main site under Extensions load from the sourceforge repository:

Title: backlight-4.9.21-pcpAudioCore_v7.tcz
Description: Kernel display modules
Version: 4.9.21-pcpAudioCore_v7
Worked for me.

Additionally, I had to go to the Settings > PiCorePlayer > Adjust Display Backlight Brightness when Powered Off and set that to 0.

icebreaker
2017-05-11, 13:27
I'm sorry for all your trouble.
what kind of RPi are you using?

You could try to select "beta" mode from the main page in the bottom of the screen. And then go back to the squeezelite page.
Steen

The beta mode has finally shown all entires of the list. The advanced has only shown a small list.
I have a RPi 1 Model B Rev2 (with the P5 Header)

Thanks for helping me
Ice

paul-
2017-05-11, 13:42
I upgraded to PCP 3.20 (audio version) today from 3.11, removing the SD, flashing it in my PC, and setting up from scratch again.
I have a RPI2 with IQAudio DAC+ and a official 7" touch screen (original version without dimming).
I have the screensaver set to 'Display off' when the player is off.
This used to turn the screen and backlight off, but as of the upgrade, the backlight remains on, even though the screen is black.
Any idea what's changed?
Thanks.

There is something going on with a jivelite dependency, seems to be a result of the upgrade from 3.11 to 3.20. I just haven't had time to track it down. Thanks for reporting

paul-
2017-05-11, 13:50
One question: I decided to set the db memory parameter to "Maximum", expecting the little device to crash during the scan. But it run just fine. zswap seems to be enabled by default now? Or rather not disabled. Because I can't find any trace of it on my Pi.

zswap (Compressed Ram Disk using zram kernel module and lz4 compression) is enabled by default. But a swapfile is disabled by default. If you want to enable a swapfile, you need to remove "noswap" from cmdline.txt on mmcblk0p1. (Can be modified using the bootcodes web page)

badboygolf16v
2017-05-11, 14:06
I've got a Pi Zero W and I wondered if there's a way of configuring wifi directly on the SD card prior to insertion into the Pi? Thanks.

mherger
2017-05-11, 14:11
> zswap (Compressed Ram Disk using zram kernel module and lz4 compression)
> is enabled by default. But a swapfile is disabled by default. If you

Ok, didn't know. I did find some discussion around the topic where
someone suggested removing nozswap. But I didn't know you did this by
default in 3.20.

> want to enable a swapfile, you need to remove "noswap" from cmdline.txt
> on mmcblk0p1. (Can be modified using the bootcodes web page)

No need so far. The scan has succeeded twice today. I'm optimistic :-)

--

Michael

mherger
2017-05-11, 14:52
> I've got a Pi Zero W and I wondered if there's a way of configuring wifi
> directly on the SD card prior to insertion into the Pi? Thanks.

http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/how_to_setup_wifi_on_pcp_without_ethernet.shtml

--

Michael

badboygolf16v
2017-05-12, 00:10
Thank you Michael - and Team pCP.

avdleeuw
2017-05-12, 02:31
Hi!

I've been happily using pCP for a few months now. As I'm living in the Netherlands, I tend to listen to this station a lot: icecast.omroep.nl/3fm-bb-mp3

However, since upgrading to 3.20 (regular), I'm not able to hear any audio from this stream anymore (or from associated stations). I can see that squeezelite connects to the stream and receives data, as the artist & title in the display are updated. As said, however, there is NO sound.

I went back to 3.11 and updated squeezelite to the same version as in 3.20 and the streams are audible, so it's not an issue in squeezelite itself (1.8.6-957). Also other streams and MP3 files played through LMS are audible as usual on 3.20. So it seems to be specific to these stations.

What can I do to analyze/resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Ard

I found out these specific streams were using a sample-rate of 48000, which doesn't seem to work with this kernel version. I've added a max sample rate option and resample options to the squeezelite configuration and it is now playing well. Obviously this is not desired, but should be resolved elsewhere.

Dacpassion
2017-05-12, 03:03
Hi,
HD44780 or compatible LCD Screen are supported?

Thank

d6jg
2017-05-12, 06:27
Finally got around to getting out my Pi Zero W and trying it with pCp 3.20

Installed Ok and I can get sound via HDMI but I really wanted to use a HiFiMe Sabre USB DAC. I have tried all sorts of setting combinations but I can't get it to work at all ??

The same USB DAC works perfectly with a Pi3 and 3.11

Anyone got a Zero W and got any ideas that I may not have tried. The Zero can detect the USB device and pCp gives a list of options but none work.

steff
2017-05-12, 07:37
Finally got around to getting out my Pi Zero W and trying it with pCp 3.20

Installed Ok and I can get sound via HDMI but I really wanted to use a HiFiMe Sabre USB DAC. I have tried all sorts of setting combinations but I can't get it to work at all ??

The same USB DAC works perfectly with a Pi3 and 3.11

Anyone got a Zero W and got any ideas that I may not have tried. The Zero can detect the USB device and pCp gives a list of options but none work.

what is the output of aplay -a ?
does it work with Raspbian + MPD ?

Stoker
2017-05-12, 07:46
Hi

I've just updated to 3.20, fresh install on new SD card. Everything working well up until I tried to mount my usb music disk.

Using the Web interface, I selected the LMS page and then in the "Pick from the following detected USB disks to mount" section I see the following message:

Disk with GPT partition table Found! Install extension "util-linux.tcz" for compatability

There's a botton to the right of this message saying "Install Support". I clicked on it, a new page loads with the following message:

util-linux.tcz not found!

I've tried several times, with reboots and power cycles but it always end up with the same not found message.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Is it possible for me to obtain util-linux.tcz from somewhere else and manually install it?

Thanks for any help
Cheers
--Ian

Stoker
2017-05-12, 08:11
Managed to get it working by manually installing util-linux.tcz from the extensions page, once done my usb disk was recognised and I've now got a fully working system!
Many thanks to the entire pCorePlayer team.

--Ian

Hi

I've just updated to 3.20, fresh install on new SD card. Everything working well up until I tried to mount my usb music disk.

Using the Web interface, I selected the LMS page and then in the "Pick from the following detected USB disks to mount" section I see the following message:

Disk with GPT partition table Found! Install extension "util-linux.tcz" for compatability

There's a botton to the right of this message saying "Install Support". I clicked on it, a new page loads with the following message:

util-linux.tcz not found!

I've tried several times, with reboots and power cycles but it always end up with the same not found message.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Is it possible for me to obtain util-linux.tcz from somewhere else and manually install it?

Thanks for any help
Cheers
--Ian

paul-
2017-05-12, 08:49
Managed to get it working by manually installing util-linux.tcz from the extensions page, once done my usb disk was recognised and I've now got a fully working system!
Many thanks to the entire pCorePlayer team.

--Ian

I'll check it, but you did exactly what the button was doing.......

diamonddust
2017-05-12, 09:16
been using the pCP for some weeks and I really like it, easy to setup and works rocks solid...

I was reading on another forum that wifi is disabled by default in the 3.20 Audio distro. To re-enable do I have to edit the config/add some driver, or just enable the option in WIFI setting. I have an Allo Boss Dac and it should work with wifi.

paul-
2017-05-12, 09:28
been using the pCP for some weeks and I really like it, easy to setup and works rocks solid...

I was reading on another forum that wifi is disabled by default in the 3.20 Audio distro. To re-enable do I have to edit the config/add some driver, or just enable the option in WIFI setting. I have an Allo Boss Dac and it should work with wifi.

The Allo Boss and wifi work just fine with the regular version of PCP. The Audio Kernel has kernel config changes that prevents most wifi devices from working.

diamonddust
2017-05-12, 10:08
The RPi3 Internal and my usb Ralink 5370 wifi work on 3.20 but both don't work under 3.20_Audio even if enable the switch under wifi setting. Will they work with the Boss dac but need to edit the kernel config file to enable wife... or the wifi option is the same stuff ?

paul-
2017-05-12, 10:51
The RPi3 Internal and my usb Ralink 5370 wifi work on 3.20 but both don't work under 3.20_Audio even if enable the switch under wifi setting. Will they work with the Boss dac but need to edit the kernel config file to enable wife... or the wifi option is the same stuff ?

WIFI does not currently work with the Audio Kernel. Period! Don't try it, there is nothing you can do. If I build the kernel so wifi works, then the Audiophiles that this was built for will be upset.

diamonddust
2017-05-12, 11:41
OK.. thats help clear out my confusion. Considering pCP 3.20 wifi work with good bandwidth, both internal or usb wifi, should I stick with internal or I will gain benefit through the usb wifi dongle.

paul-
2017-05-12, 13:03
OK.. thats help clear out the problem. Considering pCP 3.20 wifi work with good bandwidth, both internal or usb wifi, should I stick with internal or I will gain benefit through the usb wifi dongle.

The RPI3 internal wifi is hit and miss. USB wifi sticks are normally more reliable.

paul-
2017-05-13, 09:44

Pretty sure you could set this up with a custom asound.conf file, and 2 instances of squeezelite sync'd. But if someone can explain how to configure it, then it might be possible to integrate.

iwf
2017-05-13, 09:50
Newbie here, but I'm finding the loading of the web config pages to be really slow.

Any clues?

paul-
2017-05-13, 10:14
Hi,

I have prepared my Raspberry Pi 3 for boot from a USB drive. Installation of piCorePlayer on the USB drive was no problem. The system is booting without any problems, Player is running. If I now change from analog output to hifiberry DAC+ than the squeezelite is not running after reboot. Manual start is also not possible.
I plan to mount the raspberry in a DIY case. The RJ45 and USB ports of the raspberry are available on the back-panel. From my point of view, boot piCorePlayer from USB drive would be a great benefit. Is there any chance to get this working?

Cheers
Jörg

If you fully configure your device using the SDcard. Then use a program to copy the SD card to a USB stick. As long as you don't need to make configuration changes, it should work just fine. If the device doesn't boot reliably, the USB stick may not be getting recognized soon enough. edit cmdline.txt and increase the waitusb value.

However........these edits might handle some configuration cases........don't yell at me if this breaks everything :) the sdcard device mmcblk0p? is referenced around 200 times in our code.

edit /opt/bootlocal.sh to look like this

#!/bin/sh
# put other system startup commands here

GREEN="$(echo -e '\033[1;32m')"

echo
echo "${GREEN}Running bootlocal.sh..."
ln -s /dev/sda1 /dev/mmcblk0p1
ln -s /dev/sda2 /dev/mmcblk0p2
ln -s /mnt/sda1 /mnt/mmcblk0p1
ln -s /mnt/sda2 /mnt/mmcblk0p2

#pCPstart------
/home/tc/www/cgi-bin/do_rebootstuff.sh 2>&1 | tee -a /var/log/pcp_boot.log
#pCPstop------

The 4 ln commands are what you want to add. I've only done some quick testing, I'm sure certain parts of pCP will have problems. Please note that this will most likely fail if you have more than one USB stick inserted (as /dev/sda may change to a different USB device) insitu upgrades will like likely fail as well. You will have to resize your /dev/sda2 partition by hand too......

paul-
2017-05-13, 10:40
Newbie here, but I'm finding the loading of the web config pages to be really slow.

Any clues?

It's not a sophisticated web server, and a lot of server side scripting. On armv6 devices, it can be slow. But, once configured, you don't need to use the web interface for day to day use. You can even disable the loading the the web server altogether.

M900
2017-05-14, 23:31
If you fully configure your device using the SDcard. Then use a program to copy the SD card to a USB stick. As long as you don't need to make configuration changes, it should work just fine. If the device doesn't boot reliably, the USB stick may not be getting recognized soon enough. edit cmdline.txt and increase the waitusb value.

However........these edits might handle some configuration cases........don't yell at me if this breaks everything :) the sdcard device mmcblk0p? is referenced around 200 times in our code.

edit /opt/bootlocal.sh to look like this

#!/bin/sh
# put other system startup commands here

GREEN="$(echo -e '\033[1;32m')"

echo
echo "${GREEN}Running bootlocal.sh..."
ln -s /dev/sda1 /dev/mmcblk0p1
ln -s /dev/sda2 /dev/mmcblk0p2
ln -s /mnt/sda1 /mnt/mmcblk0p1
ln -s /mnt/sda2 /mnt/mmcblk0p2

#pCPstart------
/home/tc/www/cgi-bin/do_rebootstuff.sh 2>&1 | tee -a /var/log/pcp_boot.log
#pCPstop------

The 4 ln commands are what you want to add. I've only done some quick testing, I'm sure certain parts of pCP will have problems. Please note that this will most likely fail if you have more than one USB stick inserted (as /dev/sda may change to a different USB device) insitu upgrades will like likely fail as well. You will have to resize your /dev/sda2 partition by hand too......

Hi Paul,

many thanks for your explanations. Do you think this feature could be an option for a future pCP version?

Cheers Joerg

Uffe.S
2017-05-15, 02:43
Hi. I hope you have patience with an optimistic rookie who need some help. I have a new Raspberry Pi 3 model B V1.2 and a Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Dispay. I downloaded pCP 3.20 Normal on an old 4Gb SD / HC card. Everything seems to work as it should, except that WiFi is not working. In my router, I can see RaspberryPi is on IP address: 192.168.1.82 and is connected to: “WLAN” (Wireless) while PiCorePlayer is available on IP address:192.168.1.80 and is connected to “Ethport2 (Ethernet)” cable. I've been into "WIFI Settings" and tested all imaginable and unthinkable combinations without results. I also get some error messages when it starts. “error for wireless request set ESSID 8B1A” When I unplug the cable, the network goes off.
On WiFi Settings: I have selected "Wifi On"
SSID and Password I have checked 13 times.
On Security Mode: I have selected "WPA or WPA2"
On RPi Built-in Wifi: I have selected "Wifi On"
Under heading Wifi information it says “Wifi MAC: b8:27:eb:cc:f7:95 Wifi IP: is missing - reboot or connect required”.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I click [SCAN] I get: (number 3 is my network)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Available wifi networks
Scanning.
SSID Quality Level Channel Encryption Address
1. DIRECT-44623CB9 78 -55dBm 6 (2.437GHz) on WPA2 46:D2:44:62:BC:B9
2. TeliaGateway30-91-8F-1D-40-8D 45 -78dBm 1 (2.412GHz) on WPA2 30:91:8F:1D:40:8D
3. TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D 41 -81dBm 6 (2.437GHz) on WPA 08:76:FF:9C:29:9D
4. comhem_EB16DF 25 -92dBm 11 (2.462GHz) on WPA2 DC:53:7C:E6:01:89
Wifi IP: is missing - reboot or connect required.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I click [SAVE/CONNECT] I get:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ INFO ] cat /home/tc/wifi.db
08-76-FF-9C-29-9D PasswordDoubleChecked WPA
[ INFO ] cat /usr/local/sbin/config.cfg
################################################## ###########
# Edit the variables below to setup a wifi based system without LAN access
# Change Wifi to "on". Valid options for Encryption are "WEP", "WPA" or "OPEN"
WIFI="on"
SSID="08-76-FF-9C-29-9D"
PASSWORD="DoubleChecked”
ENCRYPTION="WPA"
# End Wifi setup
##########################
DEBUG="0"
MODE="30"
TEST="0"
NAME="piCorePlayer"
OUTPUT="hw:CARD=ALSA"
ALSA_PARAMS="80:::1"
BUFFER_SIZE=""
_CODEC=""
XCODEC=""
PRIORITY=""
MAX_RATE=""
UPSAMPLE=""
MAC_ADDRESS=""
SERVER_IP=""
LOGLEVEL=""
LOGFILE=""
DSDOUT=""
VISUALISER="yes"
CLOSEOUT=""
UNMUTE=""
ALSAVOLUME=""
OTHER=""
AUDIO="Analog"
HOST="piCorePlayer"
TIMEZONE="CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3"
OVERCLOCK="NONE"
ADVOVERCLOCK="None"
CMD="Default"
FIQ="0xF"
ALSAlevelout="Default"
ALSAeq="no"
REBOOT="Disabled"
RB_H="0"
RB_WD="*"
RB_DMONTH="*"
RESTART="Disabled"
RS_H="0"
RS_WD="*"
RS_DMONTH="*"
CRON_COMMAND=""
AUTOSTARTLMS=""
A_S_LMS="Disabled"
AUTOSTARTFAV=""
A_S_FAV="Disabled"
USER_COMMAND_1=""
USER_COMMAND_2=""
USER_COMMAND_3=""
JIVELITE="yes"
SCREENROTATE="180"
JL_SCREEN_WIDTH="0"
JL_SCREEN_HEIGHT="0"
SHAIRPORT="no"
LMSERVER="yes"
LMSDATA="default"
MOUNTPOINT=""
MOUNTUUID="no"
NETMOUNT1POINT=""
NETMOUNT1="no"
NETMOUNT1IP=""
NETMOUNT1SHARE=""
NETMOUNT1FSTYPE=""
NETMOUNT1USER=""
NETMOUNT1PASS=""
NETMOUNT1OPTIONS=""
SQLT_VERSION="basic"
SQUEEZELITE="yes"
POWER_GPIO=""
POWER_OUTPUT="L"
POWER_SCRIPT=""
IR_LIRC="no"
IR_GPIO_IN="25"
IR_GPIO_OUT=""
IR_DEVICE="lirc0"
IR_CONFIG=""
LMSWEBPORT=""
FSM="Default"
LMSCONTROLS="yes"
PLAYERTABS="yes"
HDMIPOWER="on"
RPI3INTWIFI="on"
SAMBA="disabled"
WOL="no"
WOL_NIC=""
WOL_LMSMACADDRESS=""
SPARAMS1=""
SPARAMS2=""
SPARAMS3=""
SPARAMS4=""
SPARAMS5=""
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
[ INFO ] cat /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/onboot.lst
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
pcp.tcz
pcp-jivelite.tcz
slimserver.tcz
ntfs-3g.tcz
VU_Meter_Kolossos_Oval.tcz
firmware-atheros.tcz
firmware-brcmwifi.tcz
firmware-rpi3-wireless.tcz
firmware-ralinkwifi.tcz
firmware-rtlwifi.tcz
wifi.tcz
[ INFO ] cat /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/piCorePlayer.dep
pcp.tcz
firmware-atheros.tcz
firmware-brcmwifi.tcz
firmware-ralinkwifi.tcz
firmware-rtlwifi.tcz
wifi.tcz
[ INFO ] Backing up files to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/mydata.tgz/-\|/-Done.
[ OK ] Backup successful.
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
Found wifi device wlan0
Standby for scan of available networks...
Set to try a few times to obtain a lease.
Attempting auto connection with 08-76-FF-9C-29-9D
udhcpc (v1.24.2) started
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
No lease, failing

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr B8:27:EB:99:A2:C0
inet addr:192.168.1.80 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
RX packets:119509 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:34070 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:170132871 (162.2 MiB) TX bytes:2820671 (2.6 MiB)

RX packets:9741 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:9741 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:1474810 (1.4 MiB) TX bytes:1474810 (1.4 MiB)

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Go Back
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
What can I do to get WiFi started? If any further information is required, please let me know. Thinking about buying a pair of new SD cards, though, is a bit uncertain as to what is most suitable.
Unfortunately, I do not understand anything about TinyCore programming so I hope for a simple explanation. Now I only use 3.5 connection and a pair of old computer speakers and it works great. Also downloaded the Squeeze Comander app. It has what I want and works well beyond expectation. Tried some others but it was a waste of money.
I would like to order the Allo Kit: Kali + Piano2.1 + Volt (EU) when it all works.
Thank you for all the work done in this amazing project.
Best regards Ulf.

Uffe.S
2017-05-15, 03:02
Hi. I hope you have patience with an optimistic rookie who need some help. I have a new Raspberry Pi 3 model B V1.2 and a Raspberry Pi 7" Touchscreen Dispay. I downloaded pCP 3.20 Normal on an old 4Gb SD / HC card. Everything seems to work as it should, except that WiFi is not working. In my router, I can see RaspberryPi is on IP address: 192.168.1.82 and is connected to: “WLAN” (Wireless) while PiCorePlayer is available on IP address:192.168.1.80 and is connected to “Ethport2 (Ethernet)” cable. I've been into "WIFI Settings" and tested all imaginable and unthinkable combinations without results. I also get some error messages when it starts. “error for wireless request set ESSID 8B1A” When I unplug the cable, the network goes off.
On WiFi Settings: I have selected "Wifi On"
SSID and Password I have checked 13 times.
On Security Mode: I have selected "WPA or WPA2"
On RPi Built-in Wifi: I have selected "Wifi On"
Under heading Wifi information it says “Wifi MAC: b8:27:eb:cc:f7:95 Wifi IP: is missing - reboot or connect required”.
************************************************** ********************************When I click [SCAN] I get: (number 3 is my network) ************************************************** ******************************** Available wifi networks
Scanning.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. DIRECT-44623CB9 78 -55dBm 6 (2.437GHz) on WPA2 46:D2:44:62:BC:B9
2. TeliaGateway30-91-8F-1D-40-8D 45 -78dBm 1 (2.412GHz) on WPA2 30:91:8F:1D:40:8D
3. TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D 41 -81dBm 6 (2.437GHz) on WPA 08:76:FF:9C:29:9D
4. comhem_EB16DF 25 -92dBm 11 (2.462GHz) on WPA2 DC:53:7C:E6:01:89
When I click [SAVE/CONNECT] I get:
[ INFO ] cat /home/tc/wifi.db
08-76-FF-9C-29-9D PasswordDoubleChecked WPA
[ INFO ] cat /usr/local/sbin/config.cfg
#########################
WIFI="on"
SSID="08-76-FF-9C-29-9D"
PASSWORD="DoubleChecked”
ENCRYPTION="WPA"
# End Wifi setup
DEBUG="0"
MODE="30"
TEST="0"
NAME="piCorePlayer"
OUTPUT="hw:CARD=ALSA"
ALSA_PARAMS="80:::1"
BUFFER_SIZE=""
_CODEC=""
XCODEC=""
PRIORITY=""
MAX_RATE=""
UPSAMPLE=""
MAC_ADDRESS=""
SERVER_IP=""
LOGLEVEL=""
LOGFILE=""
DSDOUT=""
VISUALISER="yes"
CLOSEOUT=""
UNMUTE=""
ALSAVOLUME=""
OTHER=""
AUDIO="Analog"
HOST="piCorePlayer"
TIMEZONE="CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3"
OVERCLOCK="NONE"
ADVOVERCLOCK="None"
CMD="Default"
FIQ="0xF"
ALSAlevelout="Default"
ALSAeq="no"
REBOOT="Disabled"
RB_H="0"
RB_WD="*"
RB_DMONTH="*"
RESTART="Disabled"
RS_H="0"
RS_WD="*"
RS_DMONTH="*"
CRON_COMMAND=""
AUTOSTARTLMS=""
A_S_LMS="Disabled"
AUTOSTARTFAV=""
A_S_FAV="Disabled"
USER_COMMAND_1=""
USER_COMMAND_2=""
USER_COMMAND_3=""
JIVELITE="yes"
SCREENROTATE="180"
JL_SCREEN_WIDTH="0"
JL_SCREEN_HEIGHT="0"
SHAIRPORT="no"
LMSERVER="yes"
LMSDATA="default"
MOUNTPOINT=""
MOUNTUUID="no"
NETMOUNT1POINT=""
NETMOUNT1="no"
NETMOUNT1IP=""
NETMOUNT1SHARE=""
NETMOUNT1FSTYPE=""
NETMOUNT1USER=""
NETMOUNT1PASS=""
NETMOUNT1OPTIONS=""
SQLT_VERSION="basic"
SQUEEZELITE="yes"
POWER_GPIO=""
POWER_OUTPUT="L"
POWER_SCRIPT=""
IR_LIRC="no"
IR_GPIO_IN="25"
IR_GPIO_OUT=""
IR_DEVICE="lirc0"
IR_CONFIG=""
LMSWEBPORT=""
FSM="Default"
LMSCONTROLS="yes"
PLAYERTABS="yes"
HDMIPOWER="on"
RPI3INTWIFI="on"
SAMBA="disabled"
WOL="no"
WOL_NIC=""
WOL_LMSMACADDRESS=""
SPARAMS1=""
SPARAMS2=""
SPARAMS3=""
SPARAMS4=""
SPARAMS5=""
[ INFO ] cat /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/onboot.lst
pcp.tcz
pcp-jivelite.tcz
slimserver.tcz
ntfs-3g.tcz
VU_Meter_Kolossos_Oval.tcz
firmware-atheros.tcz
firmware-brcmwifi.tcz
firmware-ralinkwifi.tcz
firmware-rtlwifi.tcz
wifi.tcz
[ INFO ] cat /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/piCorePlayer.dep
pcp.tcz
firmware-atheros.tcz
firmware-brcmwifi.tcz
firmware-ralinkwifi.tcz
firmware-rtlwifi.tcz
wifi.tcz
[ INFO ] Backing up files to /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/mydata.tgz/-\|/-Done.
[ OK ] Backup successful.
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 up
Found wifi device wlan0
Standby for scan of available networks...
Set to try a few times to obtain a lease.
Attempting auto connection with 08-76-FF-9C-29-9D
udhcpc (v1.24.2) started
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
No lease, failing

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr B8:27:EB:99:A2:C0
inet addr:192.168.1.80 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
RX packets:119509 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:34070 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:170132871 (162.2 MiB) TX bytes:2820671 (2.6 MiB)

RX packets:9741 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:9741 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:1474810 (1.4 MiB) TX bytes:1474810 (1.4 MiB)

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Go Back
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
What can I do to get WiFi started? If any further information is required, please let me know. Thinking about buying a pair of new SD cards, though, is a bit uncertain as to what is most suitable.
Unfortunately, I do not understand anything about TinyCore programming so I hope for a simple explanation. Now I only use 3.5 connection and a pair of computer speakers and it works great. Also downloaded the Squeeze Comander app. It has what I want and works well beyond expectation. Tried some others but it was a waste of money. I would like to order the Allo Kit: Kali + Piano2.1 + Volt (EU) when it all works.
Thank you for all the work done in this amazing project.
Best regards Ulf.

Greg Erskine
2017-05-15, 15:09
hi Uffe.S,

Wifi seems to be the area where people have the most problem getting going. Here is a check list of issues, hope it helps.

http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/faq_wifi%20does_not_work.shtml

EDIT: Ohhhh, do you really use a MAC address for your SSID?

Your SSID looks like it is "TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D"

regards
Greg

Uffe.S
2017-05-16, 03:08
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the double entry and it was too far. I have not understood how this works yet.
My SSID is TeliaGateway 08-76-FF-9C-29-9D and the MAC address is: b8: 27: eb: cc: f7: 95 if I understand correctly.
I have been checked the list "Wifi does not work" but I can not find any problem there.

But could it help if I buy a new SD card and download the pCP normal version again and what should I buy? Is it enough with 4Gb?

Can it work with a separate WiFi dongle, what is then appropriate to buy. Is it enough with the official and recommended universal USB WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi. Or do you recommend something better?

Best regards Ulf

Mnyb
2017-05-16, 11:25
hi Uffe.S,

Wifi seems to be the area where people have the most problem getting going. Here is a check list of issues, hope it helps.

EDIT: Ohhhh, do you really use a MAC address for your SSID?

Your SSID looks like it is "TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D"

regards
Greg

That's look a default ssid in the router delivered by the telecom company providing the router , Telia. I would not be surprised .
They also come with a default password , you are supposed to change both but people just don't do that.

Greg Erskine
2017-05-16, 14:57
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the double entry and it was too far. I have not understood how this works yet.
My SSID is TeliaGateway 08-76-FF-9C-29-9D and the MAC address is: b8: 27: eb: cc: f7: 95 if I understand correctly.
I have been checked the list "Wifi does not work" but I can not find any problem there.

But could it help if I buy a new SD card and download the pCP normal version again and what should I buy? Is it enough with 4Gb?

Can it work with a separate WiFi dongle, what is then appropriate to buy. Is it enough with the official and recommended universal USB WiFi dongle for Raspberry Pi. Or do you recommend something better?

Best regards Ulf

hi Uffe.S,

Sorry for not being clear.

I think your SSID is wrong. Use the correct one.

1. From config file -> SSID="08-76-FF-9C-29-9D" (probably wrong)

2. From scan:

TeliaGateway30-91-8F-1D-40-8D 45 -78dBm 1 (2.412GHz) on WPA2 30:91:8F:1D:40:8D (one of these)
TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D 41 -81dBm 6 (2.437GHz) on WPA 08:76:FF:9C:29:9D (one of these)

Your SSID is either "TeliaGateway30-91-8F-1D-40-8D" or "TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D"

3. From your last post -> My SSID is "TeliaGateway 08-76-FF-9C-29-9D" (probably wrong)

So only one is correct, the others are wrong and won't work.

My *guess* is your correct SSID is "TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D" (no space)????

regards
Greg

Uffe.S
2017-05-17, 04:31
Hi. It may be me who is not clear enough. TeliaGateway refers to my router. Telia is my supplier of Internet / TV / Phone / Fiber signal / Gateway or router and TV box.
Gateway or Router is a Thompson Gateway TG789vn.
According to my paper which I received from Telia, SSID should be written 08-76-FF-9C-29-9D
I have now checked the password as I find on the same paper 38 times. It works on everything else. Tiny Audio M7 / Phone / Laptop / Friends ETC.
Now I have also tried with 0876FF9C299D and
08: 76: ff: 9c: 29: 9d that has the heading "Physical Address" in my router whatever it means in the computer world.
All 3 give the same result.

Best Regards Ulf

Julf
2017-05-17, 07:12
According to my paper which I received from Telia, SSID should be written 08-76-FF-9C-29-9D

But the scan shows that the SSID is in fact TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D.

Uffe.S
2017-05-17, 13:57
Have tried to write TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D and something actually happened. It starts much faster even after power off. Also, you can not see any error messages during boot. But unfortunately, it still stops when I unplug the netcord and the buffer is over. It says "Loading flow information” on the top line. And says "Could not resolve IP address for www.my squeezebox.com and next song" in a new box. Have also tried writing TeliaGateway 08-76-FF-9C-29-9D but it does not seem to make any difference. If I put back the power cord, it will start with some help.
Best regards Ulf

paul-
2017-05-17, 14:36
Have tried to write TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D and something actually happened. It starts much faster even after power off. Also, you can not see any error messages during boot. But unfortunately, it still stops when I unplug the netcord and the buffer is over. It says "Loading flow information” on the top line. And says "Could not resolve IP address for www.my squeezebox.com and next song" in a new box. Have also tried writing TeliaGateway 08-76-FF-9C-29-9D but it does not seem to make any difference. If I put back the power cord, it will start with some help.
Best regards Ulf

You cannot boot pCP with a hardwired ethernet, then unplug it and have it work on wireless. The routing does not dynamically change. Once wifi is configured and connected, then you need to reboot your device without the ethernet cable attached.

Uffe.S
2017-05-18, 02:59
Please excuse me but now I'm really confused
At WiFi-Settings SSID, I now have TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D
WiFi and RPi Built-in Wifi is checked
Security Mode says WPA or WPA2
I have clicked on Save/Connect and Scan.
Available wifi networks
scan Wifi Information / Wifi MAC: b8: 27: eb: cc: f7: 95 / Wifi IP: 192.168.1.79
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. DIRECT-44623CB9 85 -50dBm 6 (2.437GHz) on WPA2 46: D2: 44: 62: BC: B9
2. TeliaGateway08-76-FF-9C-29-9D 65-64dBm 6 (2.437GHz) on WPA 08:76 : FF: 9C: 29: 9D
3. TeliaGateway30-91-8F-1D-40-8D 44 -79dBm 1 (2.412GHz) on WPA2 30: 91: 8F: 1D: 40: 8D

Thanks Paul. OK. I think I understand what you mean but what else can I do to get pCP configured and connected to WiFi?

What does it mean with “Couldn’t resolve IP address for www.mysqeezebox.com" ?
I understand none of this but I find it a little strange that pCP (IP 192.168.1.80 still on Ethport 2) and RaspberryPi (IP 192.168.1.79 on WLAN)) have different IP addresses in my router
By the way, I tried Wifi diagnostics on beta but I did not get wiser about it. Everything looks correct, including the password and it says No reboot required. After the green check.
Ulf

JadeMonkee
2017-05-19, 09:20
Hi there,
I've been a long time PCP user with various RPi over the years.
My primary player is a RPi2 with a 7" touch screen (running JiveLite) and an IQAudio DAC+. It's a tip-top setup.
Today I thought of a good project for a spare RPi Zero (v1.2) that I have lying around: I thought I'd attach it to my TV and use it as a 'Now Playing' screen for the Squeezebox in the same room.
Initially, I thought I'd be able to use the USB ethernet adapter I bought from Pimoroni (https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/usb-multi-function-lan-adaptor) but after not getting it to boot, I did some web searches and realised that USB LAN isn't supported.
No problem, though, as I have a WiFi adaptor that I used to use for PCP in my RPi2 (which now uses ethernet).
The WiFi adaptor in question is (from memory - it's not actually written on it) an Edimax one, but, like I said, it works fine in my RPi 2 running PCP.

So anyway, I followed the instructions to get a RPi A+ working, as per your advice, and edited the default newconfig.cfg file to contain my WiFi info, and loaded it into the SD.
It booted up, found my WiFi dongle, but returned the error:
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) : too few arguments

So, I assumed a typo or something. To mitigate any problems with the info I put in the newconfig.cfg file, I thought I'd set up a working WiFi connection on my RPi2, then save its config to USB, and copy out its proven working WiFi section into the newconfig on my PiZero (using Notepad++ so it shouldn't be a problem with Windows vs. Unix return characters).
And here's the curious bit: despite the very same USB WiFi adaptor working fine in my RPi2 PCP install, and despite pasting those known working settings into the Pi Zero's newconfig.cfg file, I still get the same "too few arguments" error when I go to boot the Pi Zero.

Any idea what's wrong here?

FWIW, here's the WiFi section (with the password redacted - however, it only contains letter and numbers, so it shouldn't be an illegal character problem):

#########################
WIFI="on"
SSID="The Mollusk"
PASSWORD="**REDACTED**"
ENCRYPTION="WPA"
# End Wifi setup

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: just a quick note that I'm connecting the WiFi card (and previously the ethernet+hub) using one of these shims: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/usb-to-microusb-otg-converter-shim

paul-
2017-05-19, 09:30
Hi there,
Initially, I thought I'd be able to use the USB ethernet adapter I bought from Pimoroni (https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/usb-multi-function-lan-adaptor) but after not getting it to boot, I did some web searches and realised that USB LAN isn't supported.

USB ethernet drivers included but not enabled by default, but you can add them in by running this command from console.

echo net-usb-KERNEL.tcz >> /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/onboot.lst

Then reboot.

As for the wifi, I'm pretty sure the space in your ssid is not being handled well. Can you make your SSID without a space.

JadeMonkee
2017-05-19, 09:49
USB ethernet drivers included but not enabled by default, but you can add them in by running this command from console.

echo net-usb-KERNEL.tcz >> /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/onboot.lst

Then reboot.

As for the wifi, I'm pretty sure the space in your ssid is not being handled well. Can you make your SSID without a space.

Ethernet would be preferable, so I'll try that now.

I suspected the space, too, however it worked fine on the RPi2?
I notice when it boots that it lists the SSID as 'The\ Mollusk', so I tried it with that in the newconfig.txt but it still didn't work.
I'd rather not change the SSID as I have heeeeeaaaaps of devices that would also need to be changed.
Anyway, will try enabling the USB ethernet now.

YEP: that worked, thanks so much!

JadeMonkee
2017-05-19, 10:33
One more thing: the performance in Jivelite is a little laggy on the RPi Zero.
I upped the gpumem in config.txt to 128, but do you think I might have been better off overclocking?
Just looking for your informed opinion here on which of the two would yield me better results.
Thanks again.

paul-
2017-05-19, 10:56
One more thing: the performance in Jivelite is a little laggy on the RPi Zero.
I upped the gpumem in config.txt to 128, but do you think I might have been better off overclocking?
Just looking for your informed opinion here on which of the two would yield me better results.
Thanks again.

The rpi display and Jivelite is only using a framebuffer. It does not use GPU. Overclocking might help

anotbot
2017-05-19, 13:20
I'm currently having problems with Max2Play LMS/Squeezelite install on two Pi3's, one as server and player, the other as player.... the player only plays a few seconds of a track then goes silent.... I have tried everything that has been suggested so far and getting nowhere....
...so thinking the problem might be the Max2Play software and as my non pi players work fine ( iPad and Mac), I'm looking for an alternative and thought PiCorePlayer might be a solution.... but I can't find any info on whether the Kali + Piano 2.1 are supported and if/how the Piano can be configured in 2.0 mode

Thank you

paul-
2017-05-19, 16:24
I'm currently having problems with Max2Play LMS/Squeezelite install on two Pi3's, one as server and player, the other as player.... the player only plays a few seconds of a track then goes silent.... I have tried everything that has been suggested so far and getting nowhere....
...so thinking the problem might be the Max2Play software and as my non pi players work fine ( iPad and Mac), I'm looking for an alternative and thought PiCorePlayer might be a solution.... but I can't find any info on whether the Kali + Piano 2.1 are supported and if/how the Piano can be configured in 2.0 mode

Thank you

Kali requires no software, so it works just fine. The Piano 2.1 is supported as well, using either the basic Piano Driver, or the Piano-Plus driver. The driver defaults to 2.0 mode. Nothing else is needed. 2.1 or 2.2 mode does require some manual configuration, but works fine too.

anotbot
2017-05-19, 23:22
Kali requires no software, so it works just fine. The Piano 2.1 is supported as well, using either the basic Piano Driver, or the Piano-Plus driver. The driver defaults to 2.0 mode. Nothing else is needed. 2.1 or 2.2 mode does require some manual configuration, but works fine too.

That's great Paul :-)

How/where do I get the drivers for the Piano-Plus and the Justboom DAC's, I couldn't find any info on the PCP site - though I'm possibly just blind :-)

many thanks

anotbot
2017-05-20, 01:15
That's great Paul :-)

How/where do I get the drivers for the Piano-Plus and the Justboom DAC's, I couldn't find any info on the PCP site - though I'm possibly just blind :-)

many thanks

Ok, found it... was being stupid.

anotbot
2017-05-20, 01:18
Title really says it all, just wondering what the difference is between the two versions and why i should choose one over the other?

many thanks

anotbot
2017-05-20, 02:40
At this point I went for PCP rather than the audio optimised version, I setup squeezelite and RPi wifi - which is working and can connect to web interface, but none of my iPad controllers will see it over wifi, but work fine if connected over ethernet. Is this an issue with RPi wifi - I have usb wifi dongle coming, will that solve this?

Got it working. Changed power supply and rebooted the LMS server... :-)

JadeMonkee
2017-05-20, 03:54
The rpi display and Jivelite is only using a framebuffer. It does not use GPU. Overclocking might help

Excellent - just the info I was looking for. Thanks!

stewie
2017-05-20, 12:21
Hi paul,

There is a bug in the web interface. If you try to add a network mount in the LMS tab the page does not respond. Whatever you do, enable, fill in everything, choose cifs or nfs. the button is not enabled. This is quite the obstacle if you got everything on a nas :)can i run some commands in ssh or edit something trough the developer tools(firefox)?

kidstypike
2017-05-20, 13:54
Hi paul,

There is a bug in the web interface. If you try to add a network mount in the LMS tab the page does not respond. Whatever you do, enable, fill in everything, choose cifs or nfs. the button is not enabled. This is quite the obstacle if you got everything on a nas :)can i run some commands in ssh or edit something trough the developer tools(firefox)?

Did you put a dot alongside the network mount, this should enable the set mount button?

stewie
2017-05-21, 01:43
Did you put a dot alongside the network mount, this should enable the set mount button?

Yes i did, it wont budge, tried filling in everything with random text, nothing. version is the latest 3.20. trying with diffrent browsers too.

kidstypike
2017-05-21, 02:11
Yes i did, it wont budge, tried filling in everything with random text, nothing. version is the latest 3.20. trying with diffrent browsers too.

You did install the extra file system support?

stewie
2017-05-21, 02:55
You did install the extra file system support?

thanks that solved it! happily scanning now ^^

cncb
2017-05-21, 08:56
I would like to use an MCE remote usb receiver for some local control. In a previous thread, it was suggested this is possible with "jivelite". Can someone please point me in the right direction to set this up? Thanks.

tcutting
2017-05-21, 12:42
I'm using an MCE remote, but using the lircd remote setup. Don't know if anyone has setup for the USB receiver. There's something called FLIRC which is USB dongle which also works - you program to turn remote codes into virtual keyboard keypresses which work in jivelite.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

merlinus
2017-05-23, 11:14
I am wondering if it is worth upgrading to 3.20, and if so, would it be best to flash a new SD card, or try the insitu upgrade using the instructions on the first page of this thread.

I am aware that since I am using WiFi I would need to upgrade to the regular 3.20 version, not the audio one.

Thanks!

paul-
2017-05-23, 11:44
I am wondering if it is worth upgrading to 3.20, and if so, would it be best to flash a new SD card, or try the insitu upgrade using the instructions on the first page of this thread.

I am aware that since I am using WiFi I would need to upgrade to the regular 3.20 version, not the audio one.

Thanks!

It really depends on what hardware you have. Unless you need the hardware support that comes with the new kernel. Staying with the old version is fine. Just be aware that the dev team always lives in the latest version. Supporting old versions gets difficult for us, as we don't run those versions.

If you have easy access to the SD card. Flashing a new card and swapping it is always the safest. If you encounter a problem, you can easily revert.

merlinus
2017-05-23, 11:53
It really depends on what hardware you have. Unless you need the hardware support that comes with the new kernel. Staying with the old version is fine. Just be aware that the dev team always lives in the latest version. Supporting old versions gets difficult for us, as we don't run those versions.

If you have easy access to the SD card. Flashing a new card and swapping it is always the safest. If you encounter a problem, you can easily revert.

Thanks, Paul! I do have access to the SD card, but in order to activate the RPi WiFi with the new version I would need to first hardwire it to my desktop computer, no? IIRC, it was somewhat difficult to get the WiFi network recognized by the pCP scan the first time round.

paul-
2017-05-23, 12:40
Thanks, Paul! I do have access to the SD card, but in order to activate the RPi WiFi with the new version I would need to first hardwire it to my desktop computer, no? IIRC, it was somewhat difficult to get the WiFi network recognized by the pCP scan the first time round.

Insert a USB stick,
On the web interface main menu, save your config to the USB.
Power Down
Insert new SDcard with pCP3.20
Power up.

Wifi should get setup automatically......you will need to reconfigure your sound though.

merlinus
2017-05-23, 16:31
Perfect!!! Thanks so much.

bernid
2017-05-28, 07:11
Hi,
I've just installed v3.2 of pCP.
I use wifi. However cannot access external net (eg internet).
I can log on pCP's IP and change settings using pCP GUI but cannot load addons, current time etc.
How could I resolve this? Of course I can access the internet from other wifi devices.
TIA

PS: My wifi diagnostics results:

dmesg:
[ 2.567827] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8179
[ 2.567844] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 2.567857] usb 1-1.3: Product: 802.11n NIC
[ 2.567869] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: Realtek
[ 2.567881] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: 00E04C0001

Loaded modules:
Module Size Used by Tainted: G
r8188eu 439180 0
cfg80211 526714 1 r8188eu
rfkill 20571 2 cfg80211

lsusb results:
usbutils.tcz downloading...
Downloading: usbutils.tcz
Error on usbutils.tcz
Error.
usbutils.tcz installing...
usbutils.tcz not found!
Error.

/etc/sysconfig/wifi-wpadrv:
nl80211,wext

iwconfig results:
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:"IPFire" Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.417 GHz Access Point: 18:F4:6A:30:AD:A2
Bit Rate:72.2 Mb/s Sensitivity:0/0
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:****-****-****-****-****-****-****-**** Security mode:open
Link Quality=98/100 Signal level=76/100 Noise level=0/100
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

ifconfig results:
wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr E8:DE:27:1D:95:A3
inet addr:192.168.1.14 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
RX packets:3148 errors:0 dropped:1551 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1871 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:594984 (581.0 KiB) TX bytes:1292355 (1.2 MiB)

mkt
2017-05-28, 08:08
There is a loud pop (makes me afraid for my poor speakers!) when I go from a track with a higher bitrate to one with a lower one. For instance, from 24/96 flac to 24/48 or 16/44. No pops when going from lower to higher bit rate.
I'm using piccoreplayer 3.20 and the Hifiberry DAC+ setting.

Any suggestions? Drivers? Settings? It's really awful.

I saw a similar question here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107223-Announce-piCorePlayer-3-20-Beta&p=880311&viewfull=1#post880311 but different DAC (?) and didn't see the solution.

Thanks!

paul-
2017-05-28, 10:08
There is a loud pop (makes me afraid for my poor speakers!) when I go from a track with a higher bitrate to one with a lower one. For instance, from 24/96 flac to 24/48 or 16/44. No pops when going from lower to higher bit rate.
I'm using piccoreplayer 3.20 and the Hifiberry DAC+ setting.

Any suggestions? Drivers? Settings? It's really awful.

I saw a similar question here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107223-Announce-piCorePlayer-3-20-Beta&p=880311&viewfull=1#post880311 but different DAC (?) and didn't see the solution.

Thanks!

I've never heard of this from a Hifiberry Dac+. (This is my daily driver dac) The post was referencing the Allo Boss Dac, there was a driver issue, that was fixed in the final release of pCP. You can try what ralphy mentioned in the post following the above reference post.....but I suspect this is a different issue.

One thing you can do is to upsample everything to your highest bitrate.

paul-
2017-05-28, 10:16
Hi,
I've just installed v3.2 of pCP.
I use wifi. However cannot access external net (eg internet).
I can log on pCP's IP and change settings using pCP GUI but cannot load addons, current time etc.
How could I resolve this? Of course I can access the internet from other wifi devices.
TIA

What rpi board are you running on?

Sounds like you are not getting a complete DHCP setup. Can you login and run "route" then post the output?

mkt
2017-05-28, 10:22
I've never heard of this from a Hifiberry Dac+. (This is my daily driver dac) The post was referencing the Allo Boss Dac, there was a driver issue, that was fixed in the final release of pCP. You can try what ralphy mentioned in the post following the above reference post.....but I suspect this is a different issue.

Upsampling everything removes the pops that were occurring when going to tracks with lower bitrate. Much improved listening experience! Random shuffle was making me gun-shy.
Thanks for the clear instructions on how to do that.
Since you have not seen this problem with the hifiberry dac+, could active speakers cause this?

bernid
2017-05-28, 10:32
What rpi board are you running on?
B2

Can you login and run "route" then post the output?

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0
127.0.0.1 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 lo
192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0

mkt
2017-05-28, 13:09
Upsampling everything removes the pops that were occurring when going to tracks with lower bitrate. Much improved listening experience! Random shuffle was making me gun-shy.
Thanks for the clear instructions on how to do that.
Since you have not seen this problem with the hifiberry dac+, could active speakers cause this?

I spoke too soon.
There are not as many pops, and they are not as loud, but still startling.
They are less predictable with respect to bitrate, but never seem to involve 16/44 and are reproducible.

paul-
2017-05-28, 19:28
B2

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ route
Kernel IP routing table
default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 wlan0
127.0.0.1 * 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 lo

That looks fine.....how about running commands below, and comparing the output that you should get.

tc@piTouch:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.0.1

tc@piTouch:~$ nslookup picoreplayer.sourceforge.net
Server: 192.168.0.1
Address 1: 192.168.0.1

Name: picoreplayer.sourceforge.net
Address 1: 216.34.181.96 projects.sourceforge.net

tc@piTouch:~$ nslookup repo.tinycorelinux.net
Server: 192.168.0.1
Address 1: 192.168.0.1

Name: repo.tinycorelinux.net
Address 1: 89.22.99.37 .

bernid
2017-05-28, 21:27
That looks fine.....how about running commands below, and comparing the output that you should get.

Thank you.
Please find below my results.

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search elkadro
nameserver 192.168.1.1
tc@piCorePlayer:~$ nslookup picoreplayer.sourceforge.net
Server: 192.168.1.1
Address 1: 192.168.1.1

nslookup: can't resolve 'picoreplayer.sourceforge.net'
tc@piCorePlayer:~$ nslookup repo.tinycorelinux.net

nslookup: can't resolve 'repo.tinycorelinux.net'

I've check another device with command 'route' connected to the same WIFI network (BeagleBone Black -BBB with which I have no problem so far).
The result is slightly different.
The RPi (piCore) has address: 192.168.1.14 and BBB (Debian Jessie): 192.168.1.15

root@beaglebone:~# route
Kernel IP routing table
default ipfire.elkadro 0.0.0.0 UG 1024 0 0 wlan0
ipfire.elkadro * 255.255.255.255 UH 1024 0 0 wlan0
192.168.7.0 * 255.255.255.252 U 0 0 0 usb0

sbp
2017-05-28, 21:34
I spoke too soon.
There are not as many pops, and they are not as loud, but still startling.
They are less predictable with respect to bitrate, but never seem to involve 16/44 and are reproducible.

Could you try to use a 0 (zero) in "close output settings" on the squeezelite page.

Steen

sbp
2017-05-28, 21:39
Thank you.
Please find below my results.

tc@piCorePlayer:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search elkadro
nameserver 192.168.1.1
tc@piCorePlayer:~$ nslookup picoreplayer.sourceforge.net

nslookup: can't resolve 'picoreplayer.sourceforge.net'
tc@piCorePlayer:~$ nslookup repo.tinycorelinux.net

nslookup: can't resolve 'repo.tinycorelinux.net'

I've check another device with command 'route' connected to the same WIFI network (BeagleBone Black -BBB with which I have no problem so far).
The result is slightly different.
The RPi (piCore) has address: 192.168.1.14 and BBB: 192.168.1.15

root@beaglebone:~# route
Kernel IP routing table
default ipfire.elkadro 0.0.0.0 UG 1024 0 0 wlan0
ipfire.elkadro * 255.255.255.255 UH 1024 0 0 wlan0
192.168.7.0 * 255.255.255.252 U 0 0 0 usb0

i noticed that the gateway is ipfire.elkadro. So I googled ipfire which is a Linux firewall.
This suggest to me that your firewall I blocking your piCorePlayer from the internet.

bernid
2017-05-29, 00:20
i noticed that the gateway is ipfire.elkadro. So I googled ipfire which is a Linux firewall.
This suggest to me that your firewall I blocking your piCorePlayer from the internet.
I use previous versions of pCP with the same router settins without any issues...
One new thing is a new wifi usb stick TL-WN725N ver2.0 (recognised by pCP as r8188eu). It works fine in the wifi subnet (but unfortunately without the external access).
My previous wifi dongle (based on ralink MT7601U) has been damaged so I can't compare with existing one (r8188eu@TL-WN725N) at the moment.

Wirrunna
2017-05-29, 00:21

I have never really understood upsampling, however a quick search brought up this post -
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99088-Upsampling-Impressions&p=751357&viewfull=1#post751357 - which explains the "Upsample setting".

paul- & Greg, perhaps the recipe help could be expanded to include some of this?

mkt
2017-05-29, 07:12
Could you try to use a 0 (zero) in "close output settings" on the squeezelite page.

Steen
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that and still get (loud) pops.
The pops are reproducible (if I repeat the track sequence, they happen at the same place).
Is there a diagnostic that would be helpful?
I turned on squeezelite logging for 3 short tracks (track POP track POP track) and the log is below.

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n piCorePlayer -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 80:4::1: -r 192000 -R vLs::0.5:28::: -d all=info -f /var/log/pcp_squeezelite.log
[09:58:06.067952] stream_init:294 init stream
[09:58:06.073422] output_init_alsa:873 init output
[09:58:06.073590] output_init_alsa:902 requested alsa_buffer: 80 alsa_period: 4 format: any mmap: 1
[09:58:06.074045] output_init_common:411 supported rates: 192000 176400 96000 88200 48000 44100 32000 24000 22500 16000 12000 11025 8000
[09:58:06.120703] output_init_alsa:928 memory locked
[09:58:06.121767] decode_init:153 init decode
[09:58:06.122004] register_dsd:625 using dsd to decode dsf,dff
[09:58:06.123428] load_ff:619 dlerror: libavcodec.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[09:58:06.123718] load_ff:619 dlerror: libavcodec.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[09:58:06.125656] load_faad:611 loaded libfaad.so.2
[09:58:06.125690] register_faad:641 using faad to decode aac
[09:58:06.127931] load_vorbis:301 loaded libvorbisfile.so.3
[09:58:06.127965] register_vorbis:330 using vorbis to decode ogg
[09:58:06.130133] load_flac:258 loaded libFLAC.so.8
[09:58:06.130170] register_flac:286 using flac to decode flc
[09:58:06.130193] register_pcm:414 using pcm to decode aif,pcm
[09:58:06.131227] load_mad:384 loaded libmad.so.0
[09:58:06.131257] register_mad:413 using mad to decode mp3
[09:58:06.133370] load_soxr:269 loaded libsoxr.so.0
[09:58:06.133535] resample_init:362 resampling sync recipe: 0x46, flags: 0x00, scale: 0.94, precision: 28.0, passband_end: 0.00000, stopband_begin: 0.00000, phase_response: -1.0
[09:58:06.133718] discover_server:817 sending discovery
[09:58:06.134369] discover_server:828 got response from: 192.168.1.14:3483
[09:58:06.134493] slimproto:916 connecting to 192.168.1.14:3483
[09:58:06.135029] slimproto:955 connected
[09:58:06.135068] sendHELO:138 mac: b8:27:eb:b2:e2:69
[09:58:06.135094] sendHELO:140 cap: Model=squeezelite,AccuratePlayPoints=1,HasDigitalO ut=1,HasPolarityInversion=1,Firmware=v1.8.6-957,ModelName=SqueezeLite,MaxSampleRate=192000,dsf ,dff,aac,ogg,flc,aif,pcm,mp3
[09:58:06.136798] output_thread:621 open output device: hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
[09:58:06.136851] alsa_open:338 opening device at: 44100
[09:58:06.139052] alsa_open:389 opened device hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry using format: S32_LE sample rate: 44100 mmap: 1
[09:58:06.139204] alsa_open:468 buffer: 80 period: 4 -> buffer size: 3528 period size: 882
[09:58:45.689993] decode_flush:227 decode flush
[09:58:45.690080] output_flush:424 flush output buffer
[09:58:45.697314] codec_open:255 codec open: 'f'
[09:58:45.697452] stream_sock:393 connecting to 192.168.1.14:9000
[09:58:45.697879] stream_sock:422 header: GET /stream.mp3?player=b8:27:eb:b2:e2:69 HTTP/1.0
Authorization: Basic c3F1ZWV6ZWJveFhYWDp4WHB4TGFnRmdO

[09:58:45.714844] stream_thread:180 headers: len: 135
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Logitech Media Server (7.9.0 - 0.151.20161218git1481874538)
Connection: close
Content-Type: audio/x-flac

[09:58:45.766515] write_cb:116 setting track_start
[09:58:45.766627] resample_newstream:189 resampling from 44100 -> 176400
[09:58:45.781260] process_newstream:124 processing: active
[09:58:45.782913] _checkfade:282 fade mode: 2 duration: 0 track-start
[09:58:45.783008] _checkfade:291 fade IN: 0 frames
[09:58:46.814102] _output_frames:147 track start sample rate: 176400 replay_gain: 137556
[09:58:46.824278] output_thread:621 open output device: hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
[09:58:46.825925] alsa_open:338 opening device at: 176400
[09:58:46.828259] alsa_open:389 opened device hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry using format: S32_LE sample rate: 176400 mmap: 1
[09:58:46.828398] alsa_open:468 buffer: 80 period: 4 -> buffer size: 14112 period size: 3528
[09:58:46.843097] _output_frames:175 fade start reached
[09:58:46.843130] _output_frames:208 fade complete
[09:58:47.984015] _output_frames:70 skip 3528 of 3528 frames
[09:59:14.372689] stream_thread:253 end of stream
[09:59:51.731826] resample_drain:119 resample track complete - total track clips: 0
[09:59:51.734045] decode_thread:100 decode complete
[09:59:51.734117] _checkfade:282 fade mode: 2 duration: 0 track-end
[09:59:52.079183] codec_open:255 codec open: 'f'
[09:59:52.079331] stream_sock:393 connecting to 192.168.1.14:9000
[09:59:52.079699] stream_sock:422 header: GET /stream.mp3?player=b8:27:eb:b2:e2:69 HTTP/1.0
Authorization: Basic c3F1ZWV6ZWJveFhYWDphdTYzd1pZVDUz

[09:59:52.126360] stream_thread:180 headers: len: 135
HTTP/1.1 200 OK

[09:59:52.151894] write_cb:116 setting track_start
[09:59:52.152000] resample_newstream:189 resampling from 96000 -> 192000
[09:59:52.156082] process_newstream:124 processing: active
[10:00:01.524297] _output_frames:147 track start sample rate: 192000 replay_gain: 102207
[10:00:01.524401] output_thread:621 open output device: hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
[10:00:01.525897] alsa_open:338 opening device at: 192000
[10:00:01.528169] alsa_open:389 opened device hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry using format: S32_LE sample rate: 192000 mmap: 1
[10:00:01.528287] alsa_open:468 buffer: 80 period: 4 -> buffer size: 15360 period size: 3840
[10:01:12.625856] stream_thread:253 end of stream
[10:01:20.316411] resample_drain:119 resample track complete - total track clips: 0
[10:01:20.316541] decode_thread:100 decode complete
[10:01:25.084016] codec_open:255 codec open: 'f'
[10:01:25.084222] stream_sock:393 connecting to 192.168.1.14:9000
[10:01:25.084740] stream_sock:422 header: GET /stream.mp3?player=b8:27:eb:b2:e2:69 HTTP/1.0
Authorization: Basic c3F1ZWV6ZWJveFhYWDpCSWJzMXNQdHhk

[10:01:25.142297] stream_thread:180 headers: len: 135
HTTP/1.1 200 OK

[10:01:25.225725] write_cb:116 setting track_start
[10:01:25.225857] resample_newstream:189 resampling from 44100 -> 176400
[10:01:25.237874] process_newstream:124 processing: active
[10:01:29.344161] _output_frames:147 track start sample rate: 176400 replay_gain: 69798
[10:01:29.344263] output_thread:621 open output device: hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
[10:01:29.345695] alsa_open:338 opening device at: 176400
[10:01:29.348043] alsa_open:389 opened device hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry using format: S32_LE sample rate: 176400 mmap: 1
[10:01:29.348161] alsa_open:468 buffer: 80 period: 4 -> buffer size: 14112 period size: 3528
[10:02:07.508319] slimproto_stop:995 slimproto stop
[10:02:07.608730] decode_close:212 close decode
[10:02:07.611378] stream_close:331 close stream
[10:02:07.679016] output_close_alsa:956 close output

ralphy
2017-05-30, 04:38
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that and still get (loud) pops.
The pops are reproducible (if I repeat the track sequence, they happen at the same place).
Is there a diagnostic that would be helpful?
I turned on squeezelite logging for 3 short tracks (track POP track POP track) and the log is below.

I think you are hitting a bug when playing short tracks that was recently discovered and hopefully fixed.

Please try this beta build with the same 3 short tracks. You'll need to ssh into pcp and run

sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/squeezelite stop

cd /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce

wget -O squeezelite http://ralph_irving.users.sourceforge.net/pico/squeezelite-1.8.6.986-armv6hf-ffmpeg

chmod 755 squeezelite

sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/squeezelite start

slackhead
2017-05-31, 04:46
Hi guys.

I'm having a problem with getting my pcp to get the right time.

I've just upgraded to 3.20 from 3.11 and everything works apart from the time not being set, so it thinks it's midnight on Jan 1st 1970.

The pi is connected through wired LAN, it has internet access and can play radio as well as connecting to LMS on my server. I've been able to install Jivelite and other stuff.

It appears that something is blocking ntp (possibly my router/firewall), so I have tried to connect to the pi via ssh to point it's ntp to the local ntp service running on my server. However logging in over ssh always produces the prompt 'your password has expired' (presumably because of the time discrepency), asks me for a new password and then promptly closes the connection. Next attempt to login produces same problem, ad infinitum.....

So I have a circular problem - I can't update the time because I can't ssh in, and I can't ssh in because the time is wrong!!!

I've had a look at the sd card directly on my pc but can't see any relevant files that could be edited.

Any ideas - it would be nice to have a working clock?

BTW I didn't have this problem in 3.11

Thanks.

EDIT:

I fixed this by installing the Tiny Core ntp extension and adding a user command 'ntpdate -vv 192.168.1.1' in the pcp web gui.

mkt
2017-06-01, 05:46
I think you are hitting a bug when playing short tracks that was recently discovered and hopefully fixed.

Please try this beta build with the same 3 short tracks. You'll need to ssh into pcp and run

sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/squeezelite stop

cd /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce

wget -O squeezelite http://ralph_irving.users.sourceforge.net/pico/squeezelite-1.8.6.986-armv6hf-ffmpeg

chmod 755 squeezelite

sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/squeezelite start

First, thanks for giving a clear and simple suggestion, good match for my skill level.
Still pops. :-(
The pops weren't limited to short tracks (I picked short tracks so I could test quickly and easily share).

LeighS
2017-06-01, 14:52
Hello

I have managed to install piCorePlayer on my RPi Zero W (Although I could only get the Wifi working on the normal version, I tried newconfig and monitor methods)

I also have LMS running

However, I can't get my (oldish WD) external HDD to register on the LMS page (The disk works fine on a Rasbian Pi)

I searched and found the following on a piCorePlayer thread on this forum:

1) Assuming you are coming from Windows, It would be best to format the drive NTFS if you plan to use LMS on that rpi. Insert the USB drive into your Windows Computer and copy the MP3's to it.
2) Insert the USB stick onto your rpi
3) Everything you need will be on the On the pcp web interface on the LMS tab,
4) Install LMS
5) Install the additional file system support.
6) Now you can mount the Drive
7) I would then set LMS to save the cache to the mounted USB drive.

I am coming from Ubuntu-gnome and the HDD is NTFS

I followed the instructions but my disk still wasn't listed

I SSH'd and found sda1 at mnt, but when I tried to umount it said not mounted. That's as far as my knowledge goes.

I also tried with a USB stick, but still not shown in list of recognised USB

Any ideas, please? :confused:

paul-
2017-06-01, 17:55
Running the audio version on a zero where you are running LMS would not be a good plan anyway. The Audio version is a preempt kernel, which doesn't make a single core processor a good server.

How big is your disk? If the drive is partitioned gpt, there will be a note on the we page that tells you that you need to install extra support.

danx
2017-06-02, 05:23
I use LMS and some picore Players for Multiroom Audio.

I have a problem with some DACs with ES9023 chip. called sabreberry

http://muc89.com/minidac/i2s-dac/sabreberry.html

I have two which are working fine and the rest not.
I can hear the sound but it is very much crackling and noisy. Like 10% music, 90% crackling. I tested all DAC Settings in the Picore dropdown. I tested 3.11 and 3.20

I've tested some other players like Volumio, and this is working with hifiberry setting. so I think the hardware is working

Are there any setting I can change or drivers? Ralphy said maybe the manufactor changed the ESS Chip?
What can I do if it is?

here are photos of the 2 DAC versions

Thanks a lot
Daniel

LeighS
2017-06-02, 05:36
Running the audio version on a zero where you are running LMS would not be a good plan anyway. The Audio version is a preempt kernel, which doesn't make a single core processor a good server.

How big is your disk? If the drive is partitioned gpt, there will be a note on the we page that tells you that you need to install extra support.

Thanks Paul,

The disk is 320GB GPT NTFS (Partition Type 'Linux Filesystem'), the USB stick 128 GB MBR FAT32 (Partition Type 'W95 FAT32 (LBA)') - info from Disks

However, I did install the additional file system support from just above on the LMS page
I also installed linux utils or something similar that I saw mentioned in another thread somewhere!

It would really be great to get this running as then I could save having to use another Pi as a server. At the moment I use the laptop as a server, but if that is not on then no music.

MrKettle
2017-06-02, 12:59
Just to follow up from earlier, PCP is working on my Zero W but with some pops/noise when running via a USB connection into my DAC. Is it generally better to use an I2S hat such as a Justboom digi zero rather than use a USB connection?

ElFishi
2017-06-03, 00:05
First of all thank you for this wonderful piece of s/w.

I got myself a zero W and an ES9023 and got it all to play quite quickly.
Most difficult was to identify that I needed to change the WiFi channel in order for the zero to have connection.
And at first it wasn't clear to me that I couldn't use the audio version.
Everything else went like a breeze.

A question I would have now is whether a GPIO pin could be configured to drive a relay to switch the amp behind the player, similar to the Power Switch plugin on a squeezebox.
That is the pin should go high/low when the player is switched on/off.

Would that be possible? If this is the wrong space to ask, please advise a better spot.

Thx

paul-
2017-06-03, 05:33
Take a look at the power On/off setting on the bottom of the squeezelite page

ralphy
2017-06-03, 06:46
I use LMS and some picore Players for Multiroom Audio.

I have a problem with some DACs with ES9023 chip. called sabreberry

http://muc89.com/minidac/i2s-dac/sabreberry.html

I have two which are working fine and the rest not.
I can hear the sound but it is very much crackling and noisy. Like 10% music, 90% crackling. I tested all DAC Settings in the Picore dropdown. I tested 3.11 and 3.20

I've tested some other players like Volumio, and this is working with hifiberry setting. so I think the hardware is working

Are there any setting I can change or drivers? Ralphy said maybe the manufactor changed the ESS Chip?
What can I do if it is?

Thanks a lot
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I have one ESS based hat that exhibits the same issues but works using RPi DAC from the squeezelite settings output dropdown. It's the last one in the list.

Can you retry a v3.1 board using pcp 3.20 standard version?

After choosing the RPi DAC and saving the config changes,
say no to reboot,
then in advanced mode, goto the main page
and click the backup and then the shutdown buttons.
wait 30 seconds then pull the power.
wait another 5 seconds and power it up again.

I've found sometimes when you choose an overlay not designed for the installed hat, it screws up the hat.

danx
2017-06-03, 08:19
Hi Ralphy,

thanks a lot for the reply.

I've just tested it with 3.20 standard and the settings/changes as described. But it does not work

I think it sound a little better but still 30% music and 70% crackling.

What could be the reason for this behaviour? From what comes this crackling?
I wondering why it works with some other player.

Thanks
Daniel

sbp
2017-06-03, 11:19
Hi Ralphy,

thanks a lot for the reply.

I've just tested it with 3.20 standard and the settings/changes as described. But it does not work

I think it sound a little better but still 30% music and 70% crackling.

What could be the reason for this behaviour? From what comes this crackling?
I wondering why it works with some other player.

Thanks
Daniel
Have you tried to choose "advanced mode" at the bottom of the "main" page.
Then go to "Squeezelite" page and there choose hifiberry from the dropdown list then reboot.

ElFishi
2017-06-03, 11:45
Take a look at the power On/off setting on the bottom of the squeezelite page

ah, cewl.
is it in beta b/c "DEATH can occur"?

danx
2017-06-03, 12:45
Then go to "Squeezelite" page and there choose hifiberry from the dropdown list then reboot.

I was in advanced mode I think. which Hifiberry should I use? with Hifiberry DAC + squeezlite is not starting.
with Hifiberry DAC light it sound bader than with RPIdac

paul-
2017-06-03, 14:04
ah, cewl.
is it in beta b/c "DEATH can occur"?

lol. Yes it's in beta mode. I should probably move that to advanced. No harm in enabling beta mode, it just gives you access to options that could cause death. :cool:

paul-
2017-06-03, 14:13
Thanks Paul,

The disk is 320GB GPT NTFS (Partition Type 'Linux Filesystem'), the USB stick 128 GB MBR FAT32 (Partition Type 'W95 FAT32 (LBA)') - info from Disks

However, I did install the additional file system support from just above on the LMS page
I also installed linux utils or something similar that I saw mentioned in another thread somewhere!

It would really be great to get this running as then I could save having to use another Pi as a server. At the moment I use the laptop as a server, but if that is not on then no music.

The GPT partition does require the util-linux extension to be installed. Please make sure that is listed in the "installed extensions" list on the extension page.

Would you mind starting an ssh session and posting the results of

fdisk -l

ElFishi
2017-06-04, 01:21
lol. Yes it's in beta mode. I should probably move that to advanced. No harm in enabling beta mode, it just gives you access to options that could cause death. :cool:

or leave it there. I like the idea of running my piCorePlayer in death mode. :D

tparvais
2017-06-05, 13:07
Hello

I change the network confit on my pi 2 from wifi to Ethernet and hifiberry Amp.

I had to reinstall completely the software

Now, I don't have any clear sound anymore, some times 1-2s and then nothing anymore.
I check speed network test with iperf3 and it's almost perfect

I don't understand what's the problem

The diagnostic shows that squeeze lite is running with the following ( I tried to change the buffer, but I. Don't understand this well)

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n Sauna -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 400 8 0

I never had that problem since months.

Any help will be appreciated

Thank you

Thomas

pcan
2017-06-05, 16:31
I've just loaded 3.20 (audio) on a rpi2. My usb dac (HiFimeDIY Sabre) works fine, but when I try using my Digi+ board (PiFi Digi+ v1.0), I can't get it work. This Digi+ board is found on eBay. I've tried these "Digi" settings for: "HiFiBerry Digi and Digi +", "IQaudIO DIGI+", "JustBoom Digi (and Zero)"

Here are the logs for each:

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n piCorePlayer -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 80:4::1: -d all=info -f /var/log/pcp_squeezelite.log
[15:03:30.135906] stream_init:294 init stream
[15:03:30.142858] output_init_alsa:873 init output
[15:03:30.143012] output_init_alsa:902 requested alsa_buffer: 80 alsa_period: 4 format: any mmap: 1
[15:03:30.154885] ALSA _snd_pcm_hw_open:1712 Invalid value for card
[15:03:30.155010] test_open:277 playback open error: No such device
[15:03:30.155079] output_init_common:382 unable to open output device

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n piCorePlayer -o hw:CARD=IQaudIODigi -a 80:4::1 -d all=info -f /var/log/pcp_squeezelite.log
[16:00:13.559951] stream_init:294 init stream
[16:00:13.569492] output_init_alsa:873 init output
[16:00:13.569661] output_init_alsa:902 requested alsa_buffer: 80 alsa_period: 4 format: any mmap: 1
[16:00:13.587039] ALSA _snd_pcm_hw_open:1712 Invalid value for card
[16:00:13.587216] test_open:277 playback open error: No such device
[16:00:13.587300] output_init_common:382 unable to open output device

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n piCorePlayer -o hw:CARD=sndrpijustboomd -a 80:4::1 -d all=info -f /var/log/pcp_squeezelite.log
[16:00:13.522492] stream_init:294 init stream
[16:00:13.531756] output_init_alsa:873 init output
[16:00:13.531942] output_init_alsa:902 requested alsa_buffer: 80 alsa_period: 4 format: any mmap: 1
[16:00:13.548914] ALSA _snd_pcm_hw_open:1712 Invalid value for card
[16:00:13.549132] test_open:277 playback open error: No such device
[16:00:13.549244] output_init_common:382 unable to open output device

Has anybody got this card to work ? If so, with which settings ?

thx, Pat

paul-
2017-06-05, 20:10
Hello

The diagnostic shows that squeeze lite is running with the following ( I tried to change the buffer, but I. Don't understand this well)

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n Sauna -o hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry -a 400 8 0

First, make sure you have the correct card selected. You should have this in the drop down box

HiFiBerry AMP (and +)

This is the default output and alsa parameters for the card

LeighS
2017-06-06, 01:00
The GPT partition does require the util-linux extension to be installed. Please make sure that is listed in the "installed extensions" list on the extension page.

fdisk -l

Thanks Paul,
Will do

danx
2017-06-06, 02:59

I tried it. But no success
May its possible that I donate one DAC Module to get it supported under piCorePlayer?
I'm from Germany and could send it to Denmark
Thanks Daniel

nr002541
2017-06-06, 10:36
I am having issues setting wifi up in the latest image. I purchased edimax ew-7811un as it shows up as working in the list. Is there anything i am missing? I have had wifi working in an old version but i am not sure what one that was. all it says is

paul-
2017-06-06, 10:44
I am having issues setting wifi up in the latest image. I purchased edimax ew-7811un as it shows up as working in the list. Is there anything i am missing? I have had wifi working in an old version but i am not sure what one that was. all it says is

If you are using the RPI3, make sure you disable the internal wifi before continuing. Otherwised, please post the output from the wifi diagnositics (The button is on the wifi page)

nr002541
2017-06-06, 12:04
If you are using the RPI3, make sure you disable the internal wifi before continuing. Otherwised, please post the output from the wifi diagnositics (The button is on the wifi page)

I seem to have got it working by swapping usb port on raspberry pi 1

tparvais
2017-06-06, 14:06
First, make sure you have the correct card selected. You should have this in the drop down box

HiFiBerry AMP (and +)

This is the default output and alsa parameters for the card

Hello Paul

Of course , I selected the right board. I have 2 Amp hifiberry. It was working fine before 3.2

I tried to play with Alsa buffer without success.

Thank you

wtnh
2017-06-06, 15:46
I downloaded the latest version of picoreplayer for my Raspberry Pi 3, initially choosing the Audio Optimized version. Connected via ethernet and basic functions worked. But, built-in wifi refused to work - getting the no wifi device message - so I started checking this thread and discovered that it will not work by design.

Can I suggest that it would be helpful to put an NB next to the download link so that others do not get frustrated by this?

So then I reflashed the sd card with the "normal" version. Now the wifi device is recognized but it can't obtain an IP lease. My router is on channel 4. Not sure if this is related, but the time zone field is not getting populated (blank).

NB - I have lots of other wifi devices active and no issues.

Other than that, the player works over ethernet with built-in audio and connects to my LMS (this is good!) I am awaiting the arrival an Allo Boss DAC and will check it out soon, but I would really like to get wifi working (pretty much why I wanted the Pi 3).

Will I have better luck with a wifi dongle - like one in the supported list?

Thanks

paul-
2017-06-06, 19:59
Hello Paul

Of course , I selected the right board. I have 2 Amp hifiberry. It was working fine before 3.2

I tried to play with Alsa buffer without success.

Thank you

We don't have that hardware, so we have no way to test. Take a look at the diagnostic pages to see if anything else catches your eye.

paul-
2017-06-06, 20:04
So then I reflashed the sd card with the "normal" version. Now the wifi device is recognized but it can't obtain an IP lease. My router is on channel 4. Not sure if this is related, but the time zone field is not getting populated (blank).

Will I have better luck with a wifi dongle - like one in the supported list?

The rpi3 internal wifi is a very flawed implementation, it works for some, and not others. But I would suspect a different problem first.

Also, the timezone cannot get automatically set until you get a internet connection to the rpi.

wtnh
2017-06-07, 13:42
The rpi3 internal wifi is a very flawed implementation, it works for some, and not others. But I would suspect a different problem first.

Also, the timezone cannot get automatically set until you get a internet connection to the rpi.

OK - so I decided to follow the path of least resistance. Instead of going the dongle route, I dug up an old TP Link WF841N router I had lying around. I set it up in bridged mode and plugged it into my Pi. So now I can put my Pi with the rest of my audio gear without running CAT5 cable there.

The advantage of this (other than being free in my case) is that I can place the router a few feet away from the Pi to avoid interference, the range is very good - don't have to worry about weak signals, and the speed is good (N).

Meanwhile my new Allo Boss DAC showed up, so I reflashed with the audio version and everything is working great!

Still need to do some listening tests, but so far it is sounding very, very good. My setup is Pi > Passive Alps pot > McCormack DNA .5 amp > Martin Logan Aerius i's so it is pretty revealing. I should also explain that the reason for doing all this is that my 12 year old Squeezebox 3 finally bit the dust, so finding a new solution which allowed me to keep my LMS server intact was important. I suspect a lot of folks are in the same boat.

Thanks to the team who has made picoreplayer possible!

diamonddust
2017-06-08, 15:33
is it possible to enable dual mono on the Allo Piano 2.1 Dac?

Mr Underhill
2017-06-09, 02:34
Hi,

I am using piCorePlayer purely for LMS.

I have had a search but have been unable to find out if I can:

1. load SOX; and
2. Limit the maximum passed file frequency to 96Khz.

Are these possible?

I am using LMS to feed a Sonore microRendu running Squeezelite.

Thanks,

M

paul-
2017-06-09, 03:34
is it possible to enable dual mono on the Allo Piano 2.1 Dac?

You would have to set it up by hand......I'm not sure how to do it.

LeighS
2017-06-09, 11:50

fdisk -l

Hi Paul,

I had wiped piCorePlayer off the SD card and am now trying to get it back on

Before, to get the wifi working on the Pi-Zero W I connected a screen and keyboard and did it that way

This time I have no screen and am trying by making a newconfig.cfg with the following in it:

WIFI="on"
SSID="yourSSID"
PASSWORD="yourPASSWORD"
ENCRYPTION="WPA"

I have done that (on Ubuntu-Gnome), but am not sure which is the boot partition on the SD:

I have a partition of 34MB PCP, but disks & gparted tells me it isnt bootable
I also have a 50MB partition, again disks & gparted tells me it isnt bootable
Then there is free space at the end

I tried copying the newconfig to both partition roots, but the device wasnt on the network when I plugged it in (I waited a long time)

I put piCorePlayer onto the SD via disks > restore disk image

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I seem to remember I am forgetting something I had to do before

LeighS
2017-06-09, 12:36

fdisk -l

I managed to try with a screen and it seems that I was connected to the network, but for some reason it doesnt appear on Fing on my android phone

Then I chose the advanced mode
went to LMS page
installed LMS
installed the additional file system support.

This time my disk was found - no idea why, its the same disk
There was a note saying it needed util-linux and there was a button to do this but this didnt work ('could not find util-linux' or similar)
So I wnet to the extensions page and installed it there.

Then the disk became visible and I mounted it

Now it all seems to be working - I can access LMS via IP:9000 and am currently scanning the music on my external disk

I'm just using piCore player as a LMS server so I'm done :)

I have no idea why it worked this time, but am happy

paul-
2017-06-09, 20:42
Hi,

I am using piCorePlayer purely for LMS.

I have had a search but have been unable to find out if I can:

1. load SOX; and
2. Limit the maximum passed file frequency to 96Khz.

Are these possible?

It would be much easier to use sqeezelite to resample directly on your device. However to if you want to do server side, sox is included by default on the pCP LMS installation, but I'm not sure how to set it up. That would be a better question in the Server forum. http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?27-Logitech-Media-Server

paul-
2017-06-09, 20:50
I have a partition of 34MB PCP, but disks & gparted tells me it isnt bootable
I also have a 50MB partition, again disks & gparted tells me it isnt bootable
Then there is free space at the end

The file should be called newconfig.cfg and it goes on the first partition (The one labeled PCP). The disk will not show up as "Bootable", as the rpi handles loading the appropriate files to boot with. IF you can at least hook up a monitor to see if the image is booting, that would make troubleshooting so much easier.

streampunk
2017-06-13, 07:34
[solved] Good afternoon,
as I find it sometimes unpractical having to fetch a tablet or a smartphone, launch an app etc. only to mute music playing on my PCP, I bought a cheap 2,4GHz remote said to work with "linux" (https://www.amazon.de/GeneralKeys-Funk-Air-Maus-Fernbedienung-Windows-Android/dp/B00H4XSPC6/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TVDIAOCYO59D).
I plugged the small USB receiver into my Raspi running PCP 3.20 and jivelite, equipped with the orgininal Raspberry Touchscreen - and after rebooting the remote worked perfectly, controlling not only volume, mute and title skipping, but also backward/forward in the jivelite screens etc.

When trying the same with my other (headless) Raspberry, also running PCP 3.20, the remote won't work. I tried installing jivelite because I thought that the remote drivers might come with jivelite, but no success.

Hence my question to those who know the guts of PCP: Is it possible that the remote drivers are only installed / activated if there is a (touch)screen connected to the Raspi? The only other difference between the two systems is that the headless one has a pHAT DAC, while the touchscreen one has a cheap USB soundcard.

[edit] Seems as if the receiver is recognized:

piCorePlayerOffice:~$ dmesg | grep usb
[ 0.000000] Kernel command line: bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=656 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=416 bcm2708_fb.fbswap=1 vc_mem.mem_base=0x1ec00000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x20000000 host=piCorePlayerOffice tz=CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0xF dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/ram0 elevator=deadline rootwait quiet nortc loglevel=3 noembed smsc95xx.turbo_mode=N noswap cron consoleblank=0 waitusb=2
[ 0.259687] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[ 0.259808] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[ 0.260001] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[ 1.056362] usbcore: registered new interface driver smsc95xx
[ 1.484025] dwc_otg 20980000.usb: DWC OTG Controller
[ 1.484086] dwc_otg 20980000.usb: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[ 1.484167] dwc_otg 20980000.usb: irq 56, io mem 0x00000000
[ 1.484606] usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
[ 1.484623] usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[ 1.484633] usb usb1: Product: DWC OTG Controller
[ 1.484643] usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 4.9.21-pcpCore dwc_otg_hcd
[ 1.484652] usb usb1: SerialNumber: 20980000.usb
[ 1.487407] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[ 1.492764] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[ 1.492771] usbhid: USB HID core driver
[ 2.010678] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using dwc_otg
[ 2.321152] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0424, idProduct=9514
[ 2.321174] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[ 2.640630] usb 1-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using dwc_otg
[ 2.771124] usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0424, idProduct=ec00
[ 2.771146] usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[ 2.871343] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: register 'smsc95xx' at usb-20980000.usb-1.1, smsc95xx USB 2.0 Ethernet, b8:27:eb:da:28:79
[ 3.170677] usb 1-1.5: new full-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[ 3.313266] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=1d57, idProduct=ad03
[ 3.313288] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[ 3.313299] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: FREEWAY TECHNOLOGY
[ 3.365959] input: FREEWAY TECHNOLOGY as /devices/platform/soc/20980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.5/1-1.5:1.2/0003:1D57:AD03.0001/input/input0
[ 3.433004] hid-generic 0003:1D57:AD03.0001: input,hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.01 Keyboard [FREEWAY TECHNOLOGY] on usb-20980000.usb-1.5/input2
Due to my still limited Debian skills I have no idea where to look whether the remote strokes are coming in...
Thanks in advance for helping

[2nd edit] Suddenly, after two days and without having changed anything, the romte has started to work...

Martin

Mr Underhill
2017-06-15, 08:18
It would be much easier to use sqeezelite to resample directly on your device. However to if you want to do server side, sox is included by default on the pCP LMS installation, but I'm not sure how to set it up. That would be a better question in the Server forum. http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?27-Logitech-Media-Server

Hi Paul,

Thx for getting back to me. Couple of questions please:

1. Can you send data from one instance of Squeezelite to another? and
2. In order to leverage sox I need to either alter convert.conf, or more safely create and edit a custom-convert.conf file, with in the current location or in /etc/slimserver. As the filesystem is mounted read-only is there any way to achieve this without hacking your OS?

Thanks,

M

paul-
2017-06-15, 08:35
Hi Paul,

Thx for getting back to me. Couple of questions please:

1. Can you send data from one instance of Squeezelite to another? and

No

2. In order to leverage sox I need to either alter convert.conf, or more safely create and edit a custom-convert.conf file, with in the current location or in /etc/slimserver. As the filesystem is mounted read-only is there any way to achieve this without hacking your OS?

Thanks,

M

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:persistence_for_dummies

scroll down to the backup section.

htctyo
2017-06-16, 06:20
I find that when I use iPad to control roll down or up to select the song in picoreplayer 3.2ver sometimes I heard some pop sound at the background of the music is it the wifi defective if I change to use with external wifi adaptor can solve it or not. Also I find that when I up sampling it will be more serious to hear the pop sound

jekare
2017-06-17, 10:31
hi pcp-team,

I am trying to setup my Pi Zero W with a Justboom zero Amp on top of it, but am struggling with the wifi setup. I don't know how i should be able to connect an ethernet cable, that is why i am trying to do a headless setup. The problem is that my wifi psk contains a forward slash.

I've found 2 options to try:

1. download the file newconfig.cfg and write it to the SD card before booting for the first time, but first enter the correct details in the wifi part of the file. This does not work.

2. Connect a monitor and keyboard to the Pi Zero W and after booting run the command setup. Next choose the option to chnage the wifi details. If i do this and save the settings i am greeted with the message: sed: bad option in substitution expression.
After some googling i found that i should escape the forward slash in my password with a backslash, but then my whole password is garbled after saving.

It seems the only option is to change my wifi password, but that would mean i have to change it in a lot of my other wireless hardware which i am not willing to do at this moment.

I rather place my trust in you guys to be able to fix this, for example by using sed in a different way. Or maybe i can change the saved password on the sd card somewhere?

With kind regards,

Jack.

paul-
2017-06-17, 11:42
hi pcp-team,

The problem is that my wifi psk contains a forward slash.

Yup, that is the problem. Unfortunately there is no current way to remedy special characters. The base level wifi tools as a part of the stripped down OS do not support it.

Can you create a second SSID on your router?

If you know all of the wifi/network tools (wpa_passphrase, wpa_supplicant, iwconfig, ifconfig, udhcpc), you could in theory 100% manually configure your wifi. issueing all of the proper commands in /opt/bootlocal.sh before the pcp startup commands. (You would leave wifi turned off in pCP)

Howard Passman
2017-06-17, 19:27
Running pCP 3.20 and can't seem to get SDT on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Howard

jekare
2017-06-18, 04:06
Yup, that is the problem. Unfortunately there is no current way to remedy special characters. The base level wifi tools as a part of the stripped down OS do not support it.

Can you create a second SSID on your router?

If you know all of the wifi/network tools (wpa_passphrase, wpa_supplicant, iwconfig, ifconfig, udhcpc), you could in theory 100% manually configure your wifi. issueing all of the proper commands in /opt/bootlocal.sh before the pcp startup commands. (You would leave wifi turned off in pCP)

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the swift reply.

Unfortunately, all 4 of my available SSID's are in use already. (Come to think of it, it is hard to imagine how fast the amount of networked devices is growing. They seem to be multiplying by them selves now... ;-)
My linux skills are still pretty average so completely handling the wifi setup myself is probably taking me too long to learn, although i do know some of the tools you mentioned. I guess the fastest route to success will be to change my password then....

Thanks again and kudos for all the good work you and your team are doing!

Regards, Jack.

paul-
2017-06-18, 05:56
As far as I know, STD is running on pCP based LMS. Assuming your LMS package was installed within the last 6 months. You'll will need to look in the server logs for any information.

ant!
2017-06-18, 15:32
Hi,
not sure if this was already discussed before...

The last build (3.20) contains a kernel which has a bug for the Hifiberry Amp+, it plays only 44.1kHz, but not 48kHz, which are both usually working. Can't find the github discussion right now. Anyways, this is fixed in newer kernels already. Could you release a quick update to this newer kernel to fix this?
Would be great!

paul-
2017-06-18, 18:24
You are referring to https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2016 It was just fixed in 4.9.30

I don't have the board to test, but I would think you could just upsample/downsample to a different frequency, as it appears only 48k is affected. We are waiting for new kernel drivers for the allo product before releasing the next version.

joelmr
2017-06-18, 23:45
SOLVED, mostly:

Turns out the problem was that the clock was wrong. For some reason slimserver wouldn't talk to mysqueezebox.com unless the clock was correct. Somehow my system was stuck at 1970, I assume because ntp had failed on startup. I still haven't figured that part out, but I reboot infrequently, and I know what the problem is so I can work around it.

Hi all-

I was previously running 3.10 under piCorePlayer on my pi3, and the integration with mysqueezebox.com appeared to be working. In particular, I could stream through Slacker. I just did a fresh install of 3.20, and now that seems to be broken. I see this error in the server log:

[69-12-31 16:01:38.3048] Slim::Control::XMLBrowser::_cliQuery_error (1676) Error: While retrieving [http://www.mysqueezebox.com/api/slacker/v1/opml]: [An unexpected error occurred while validating your mysqueezebox.com account. Please make sure network connectivity is working fine.]

I tried turning up the log levels, but didn't see anything more about that particular problem. I did, however, see that when I tried downloading some more plugins, I got errors for some of them, too, e.g.:

[69-12-31 20:42:39.6602] Slim::Utils::PluginDownloader::_downloadError (217) unable to download SigGen from https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/triodeplugins/SigGen-1.2.zip - Connect timed out:
[69-12-31 20:44:49.4510] main::init (388) Starting Logitech Media Server (v7.9.0, 1488878280, Wed Mar 8 14:07:50 UTC 2017) perl 5.024000 - arm-linux-gnueabihf-thread-multi-64int
[69-12-31 20:44:58.1983] Slim::Utils::Misc::msg (1244) Warning: [20:44:58.1971] EV: error in callback (ignoring): Can't call method "error" on an undefined value at /usr/local/slimserver/Slim/Networking/SqueezeNetwork.pm line 183.

If I log onto the device and try wget on the same url, it works fine, so I don't think there's a problem with network connectivity.

Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas? Thanks.

-Joel

ant!
2017-06-19, 05:42
You are referring to https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2016 It was just fixed in 4.9.30

I don't have the board to test, but I would think you could just upsample/downsample to a different frequency, as it appears only 48k is affected. We are waiting for new kernel drivers for the allo product before releasing the next version.

Thanks, upsampling should work for a while I guess. And 48kHz is anyways not so often in my music collection, just found it in some files, but CD rips and most other files are anyways 44.1kHz, Spotify works also fine. Just thought I install the newest version of PcP in my terrasse player, should be easier updatable than older version, since don't want to take the SD card out before autumn. Anyways, thanks for your work!

ian_heys
2017-06-20, 07:44
EDIT - Now worked it out - sounds good

Does anyone know how to set up squeezelite to get this combination to work.

DAC seems to work but can't unmute the amp.

Thanks

epoch1970
2017-06-20, 09:14
I was ready to struggle with asound.conf (this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107539-PCP3-2-Need-to-inject-sound-from-aplay-while-squeezelite-runs)), but I see something puzzling when trying to use the "equal" device from the OS, like with "mpg123 -a equal speaker-test.mp3"
Audio rendering works ok and then execution terminates with this kind of ominous message: "*** Error in `mpg123': double free or corruption (!prev): 0x01b8e138 ***"

Is this a "normal error" or should I care about it (and how)?

PCP 3.2 on Pi3 w/ justboom amp: "piCorePlayer v3.20 | linux 4.9.21-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v8.01 | Squeezelite v1.8.6-957 | Tue Jun 20 18:01:25 CEST 2017"
There is one mod to asound.conf to convert stereo to mono, apart of that I would consider it in stock config.

mkt
2017-06-20, 16:10

Might this fix help the loud popping problem that happens when changing bitrate?

paul-
2017-06-20, 18:22
Might this fix help the loud popping problem that happens when changing bitrate?

Anything is possible. Have you talked to the guys at hifiberry.

epoch1970
2017-06-22, 02:52
From a vanilla PCP3.2 install I activated the equalizer. Works
Then I disabled it. Works
Now I want to reactivate it. I get [ ERROR ] Alsa equalizer package is not loaded...

However, I can see mounted
/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/optional/alsaequal.tcz on /tmp/tcloop/alsaequal type squashfs (ro,relatime)
/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/optional/caps-0.4.5.tcz on /tmp/tcloop/caps-0.4.5 type squashfs (ro,relatime)
and in /mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/optional
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tc staff 733184 Jun 22 11:41 caps-0.4.5.tcz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tc staff 49 Jun 22 11:41 caps-0.4.5.tcz.md5.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tc staff 24576 Jun 22 11:41 alsaequal.tcz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tc staff 16 Jun 22 11:41 alsaequal.tcz.dep
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tc staff 48 Jun 22 11:41 alsaequal.tcz.md5.txt

I've seen this twice.
Thanks.

EDIT. Ah I see the page checks asound.conf. My asound conf is not standard and no equal device was created when re-installing Equal. I'll work around that.
EDIT2. And now I have the same prob with usb-serial. Its getting unfunny. Solved by editing onboot.lst by hand.

mkt
2017-06-22, 17:42
Anything is possible. Have you talked to the guys at hifiberry.
I posted here.
https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115002824709-loud-pops-when-changing-to-lower-bitrate-
Is there a better way to contact them?

paul-
2017-06-22, 18:23
Send them an email. Not sure why they don't monitor their own forums.

mkt
2017-06-24, 16:05
Send them an email. Not sure why they don't monitor their own forums.

No much of a response.

HiFiBerry team (HiFiBerry)
Jun 24, 19:04 CEST

Hi,

unfortunately there is nothing more we can do here. The player software would need to reduce the volume at the end and increase it again when starting the new stream. I don't think squeezelite (the base player from PiCorePlayer) can do this.

Best regards,
Daniel

psketch
2017-06-26, 06:49

Hi Paul

I wondered if you'd made any progress on this problem - I also have the same issue with DASH streams from bbciplayer (which are 48k) not working with PCP 3.2 and Amp+. I've tried adding 44100 to the -r max rate entry, but that doesn't seem to do anything. This should fix it for now since the Amp+ only supports 44.1 and 48K I think.

Edit : Thanks for bpa, we tried -r 44100 -R X to force resampling to the max (and only) rate and that fixed it, where -r 44100 on its own doesn't do anything. So, there's a work around whilst you're working on the new kernel.

Thanks

pete S

kizery
2017-06-26, 23:49
Hi all !

I would like to use "spotify connect" with my raspberry and picoreplayer but I don't found any info on the web, is it possible ?

thank !

Man in a van
2017-06-27, 08:36
Hi all !

I would like to use "spotify connect" with my raspberry and picoreplayer but I don't found any info on the web, is it possible ?

thank !

You can install LMS on pCP and then use the new Spotty plugin.

If you want to make the pi a "Spotify-Connect" device I'm not sure if that is possible with pCP as that uses a different linux.

Depending on the pi's Audio output device it is possible to run as a "Spotify-Connect" client using Raspbian Jessie Lite.

Ronnie

Pascal Hibon
2017-07-01, 09:29
Hi guys,

I'm preparing a system for a friend and installed piCorePlayer 3.20 on a RPI 3.
All is working well, except that I can't find the VU meters in the menu. I have downloaded them from the piCorePlayer web pages but still they don't show up in jivelite.
Any ideas why that is?

Howard Passman
2017-07-01, 10:39
I realize this is of no help, but I noticed the VU meter disappeared with 3.20. Still in the extensions, but doesn't display when cycling through views.

Howard

Hi guys,

I'm preparing a system for a friend and installed piCorePlayer 3.20 on a RPI 3.
All is working well, except that I can't find the VU meters in the menu. I have downloaded them from the piCorePlayer web pages but still they don't show up in jivelite.
Any ideas why that is?

Jeff07971
2017-07-01, 11:13
I've just checked on my 3 Pcp 3.20 Rpi's all have VU meters.

Are you using the joggler skin have you set VU meters in the "Now Playing" settings ?

Howard Passman
2017-07-01, 11:54
Hi Jeff,

I personally do not have that option available in screen setting under "Now Playing".

Howard

P.S. I am using the Joggler skin.

QUOTE=Jeff07971;887228]I've just checked on my 3 Pcp 3.20 Rpi's all have VU meters.

Are you using the joggler skin have you set VU meters in the "Now Playing" settings ?[/QUOTE]

Jeff07971
2017-07-01, 12:46
Hi Jeff,

I personally do not have that option available in screen setting under "Now Playing".

Howard

P.S. I am using the Joggler skin.

QUOTE=Jeff07971;887228]I've just checked on my 3 Pcp 3.20 Rpi's all have VU meters.

Are you using the joggler skin have you set VU meters in the "Now Playing" settings ?[/QUOTE]

I think a reload is in order then

Howard Passman
2017-07-01, 12:58
:-) Ugh. I think I can live without VU meters. Waiting on the next version, with bated breath, so I can use multiple thumb drives for music file storage. That would resolve part of my power supply issue, if not all of it.

I think a reload is in order then[/QUOTE]

Pascal Hibon
2017-07-01, 13:06
Are you using the joggler skin have you set VU meters in the "Now Playing" settings ?

Yes, i'm using the joggler skin. There is no analog VU option in the Now Playing menu.
Did you upgrade from 3.02 or 3.11 to 3.20 (insitu) or did you flash a the SD card?

paul-
2017-07-01, 13:43
When troubleshooting VU meters. The number one reason is that you changed network interfaces......loaded Jivelite on ethernet, then changed to wifi. Otherwise, vu meters only working if jivelite is running on the same rpi that is running squeezelite. Jivelite can control remove players, but cannot visualize with those.

1) On the squeezelite page, all the way at the bottom. Expand the more> And make sure there is a -v at the end of the line.....if so then Jivelite properly enabled VU meteres.

2) Make sure you are using the Joggler skin, or Grid Skin (800x480)
3) Make sure you have not removed the VU meters from the Now Playing rotation. (Settings | Screen | Now Playing | Now Playing Views)
4) If that still doesn't work, make sure everything other than jivelite is fully configured, then press the reset button. This will reset your jivelite setup. After the reset, select one of the above listed skins, then check your VU meters.

Pascal Hibon
2017-07-02, 01:31
When troubleshooting VU meters. The number one reason is that you changed network interfaces......loaded Jivelite on ethernet, then changed to wifi.

I installed from Ethernet and never switched to or used wifi.

Otherwise, vu meters only working if jivelite is running on the same rpi that is running squeezelite.

That is the case in my situation.

1) On the squeezelite page, all the way at the bottom. Expand the more> And make sure there is a -v at the end of the line.....if so then Jivelite properly enabled VU meteres.

Yep, I'm using the -v option.

3) Make sure you have not removed the VU meters from the Now Playing rotation. (Settings | Screen | Now Playing | Now Playing Views)

I am using the joggler skin.
But I don't have the analog VU option in setting -> screen -> now playing -> now playing views. (I have downloaded the VU's several times already but with same result).

4) If that still doesn't work, make sure everything other than jivelite is fully configured, then press the reset button. This will reset your jivelite setup. After the reset, select one of the above listed skins, then check your VU meters.

I will give this a try later.

Howard Passman
2017-07-02, 04:02
Thanks Paul. That worked for me. For some reason the backlight extension stopped working now. I'll uninstall/reinstall and see if that does it.

Thanks again!

Howard

When troubleshooting VU meters. The number one reason is that you changed network interfaces......loaded Jivelite on ethernet, then changed to wifi. Otherwise, vu meters only working if jivelite is running on the same rpi that is running squeezelite. Jivelite can control remove players, but cannot visualize with those.

Pascal Hibon
2017-07-02, 04:29

Step 4 did the trick.
Thanks for your help.

d6jg
2017-07-03, 05:51
I gave my Pi Zero W another try with pCp 3.2 today.

I can get audio over HDMI but I still can't get USB Audio to work with my Sabre DAC.

pCp sees the device as "iec958" but none of the settings I try produce any audio. This DAC works fine with pCp 3.2 on a Pi3 so I can only conclude that the Zero W is the issue.

Does anyone know of a similarly priced USB DAC that does work with pCp 3.2 and a Zero W ?

paul-
2017-07-03, 06:08
There are so many I2s DACs out there, I would stay away from any USB dac. You just have to solder the gpio header in your zero.

d6jg
2017-07-03, 06:13
There are so many I2s DACs out there, I would stay away from any USB dac. You just have to solder the gpio header in your zero.

I hear what you say but for aesthetic reasons I wanted to avoid a pHAT as there are so few Zero + pHAT cases available and most are just plain ugly.

mherger
2017-07-03, 06:32
> I hear what you say but for aesthetic reasons I wanted to avoid a pHAT
> as there are so few Zero + pHAT cases available and most are just plain
> ugly.

Uglier than a Pi case with a USB dongle plugged in to its back?...

--

Michael

d6jg
2017-07-03, 06:50
> I hear what you say but for aesthetic reasons I wanted to avoid a pHAT
> as there are so few Zero + pHAT cases available and most are just plain
> ugly.

Uglier than a Pi case with a USB dongle plugged in to its back?...

--

Michael

The official Pi Zero W case is quite pretty and its not difficult to hide the USB connection.

Its off topic but the biggest problem with a Pi as an SB replacement IMHO is the case.
I think I have half a dozen Pi's all in different cases with various different HATs and there is none that I really like aestehtically. I have one with the Touchscreen and official case which is OK but spoilt by the case not being big enough for a HAT and the fact that the power connector is at top.
The "best" I have seen is Pascal's self build on here in DIY but I don't have access to the necessary tools to manufacture one. When someone produces the right case for our use case it will sell in hundreds.

mherger
2017-07-03, 07:59
> The official Pi Zero W case is quite pretty and its not difficult to
> hide the USB connection.

If you plan to hide it anyway, why bother about the case?

BTW: JustBoom do dedicated cases for their hats, too. Pi 0 plus hat
would result in a compact black box, with fewer cables to hide.

> Its off topic but the biggest problem with a Pi as an SB replacement
> IMHO is the case.

Agreed.

> I think I have half a dozen Pi's all in different cases with various
> different HATs and there is none that I really like aestehtically. I
> have one with the Touchscreen and official case which is OK but spoilt
> by the case not being big enough for a HAT and the fact that the power
> connector is at top.

I was able to fit in a hat in a touch casing by drilling a few
additional wholes. But yes, the cables still stick up the wrong way,
unless I get adaptors or plugs with angles. And I've had bad luck with
one such USB cable, causing the "under-voltage" warning, no matter how
powerfull the charger used.

--

Michael

d6jg
2017-07-03, 08:15
> The official Pi Zero W case is quite pretty and its not difficult to
> hide the USB connection.

If you plan to hide it anyway, why bother about the case?

BTW: JustBoom do dedicated cases for their hats, too. Pi 0 plus hat
would result in a compact black box, with fewer cables to hide.

> Its off topic but the biggest problem with a Pi as an SB replacement
> IMHO is the case.

Agreed.

> I think I have half a dozen Pi's all in different cases with various
> different HATs and there is none that I really like aestehtically. I
> have one with the Touchscreen and official case which is OK but spoilt
> by the case not being big enough for a HAT and the fact that the power
> connector is at top.

I was able to fit in a hat in a touch casing by drilling a few
additional wholes. But yes, the cables still stick up the wrong way,
unless I get adaptors or plugs with angles. And I've had bad luck with
one such USB cable, causing the "under-voltage" warning, no matter how
powerfull the charger used.

--

Michael

Pascal's implementation in System Photos (not DIY as I said before) is what I want to achieve. The components look easy enough to get hold of but he has drilled out the rear panel near perfectly and added a bracket at the front to angle the screen properly.

Pascal Hibon
2017-07-03, 08:22
Pascal's implementation in System Photos (not DIY as I said before) is what I want to achieve. The components look easy enough to get hold of but he has drilled out the rear panel near perfectly and added a bracket at the front to angle the screen properly.

The latest version is one where I mounted the display straight against the enclosure. I reinforced the display by a 2 mm thick aluminium plate.
Most components are standard things, except for the relay board (for the trigger signal). This is a board I designed myself and had it made in a factory in China.
More details on the latest version is here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?102957-pi-based-systems&p=887245&viewfull=1#post887245

paul-
2017-07-03, 12:47
The official Pi Zero W case is quite pretty and its not difficult to hide the USB connection.

Be wary of cases with the Zero W, the antennas aren't that great.

Pascal, would you mind sharing the diagram and PCB info for the trigger board?

Pascal Hibon
2017-07-03, 13:09
Pascal, would you mind sharing the diagram and PCB info for the trigger board?

Sure.
Be aware, it is nothing special. It is just a relay that gets triggered by a 12 volts signal.
The relay is simply wired in parallel witch the mains switch.
Schematic attached.

Howard Passman
2017-07-03, 13:23
I would like to use a USB thumb drive to save my config file using the "Save to USB" on the "Main" page of pCP 3.20. I also use a USB drive to store my music. I think I know the answer to this, but here goes...

The music drive mounts to mnt/music. Is there a way to mount the USB for the config file to the required /sda1 directory? If I manually put the config file there, will it still be read when rebooting?

Thanks,

Howard

paul-
2017-07-03, 14:44
When mounting music from the LMS page, it is done by using the drive uuid. As usb devices like to change /dev/sd? Letters when rebooting.

It will work better in the next version. If you want a backup, just do it manually.....

trans_lux
2017-07-07, 07:50
Hello

First thank you for all the hard work that has clearly has gone into this project.

I'm running piCorePlayer v3.20 | linux 4.9.21-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v8.01 | Squeezelite v1.8.6-986 with a Audioquest Dragonfly Red.
Currently this is a bedside solution for headphones only.

I'm having trouble resampling down to the native rate of the of Dragonfly's 24-bit/96kHz capabilities.
When I play files above this rate I get the URL to the file in LMS running on pCP. Below I get sound.

Couple notes:
Output is set to USB Audio, there are no settings under audio card control.
Dragonfly does not specifically show up squeezlite gui so I'm using front:CARD=v10,DEV=0
I adjusted the output level using alsamixer as it was too low. It does show up here.
Dragonfly Red uses 32-bit ESS 9016 DAC with minimum-phase filter

I'd prefer everything up to this rate be native.
I have a fair amount of SACD content in .dff, .dsf, .flac and ISO's that I play via Jriver. Playback of these files would be nice but I don't believe this is possible with the current config.

I guess the 1st question is it better to have LMS or Squeezelite handle these duties?
Based on the answer to the above if someone could point me to or walk me through the correct steps & settings it would be greatly appreciate.

Please let me know if you would like to see any other information.
Thanks in advance

Eric

trans_lux
2017-07-08, 09:58
Hello

First thank you for all the hard work that has clearly has gone into this project.

I'm running piCorePlayer v3.20 | linux 4.9.21-pcpCore_v7 | piCore v8.01 | Squeezelite v1.8.6-986 with a Audioquest Dragonfly Red.
Currently this is a bedside solution for headphones only.

I'm having trouble resampling down to the native rate of the of Dragonfly's 24-bit/96kHz capabilities.
When I play files above this rate I get the URL to the file in LMS running on pCP. Below I get sound.

Couple notes:
Output is set to USB Audio, there are no settings under audio card control.
Dragonfly does not specifically show up squeezlite gui so I'm using front:CARD=v10,DEV=0
I adjusted the output level using alsamixer as it was too low. It does show up here.
Dragonfly Red uses 32-bit ESS 9016 DAC with minimum-phase filter

I'd prefer everything up to this rate be native.
I have a fair amount of SACD content in .dff, .dsf, .flac and ISO's that I play via Jriver. Playback of these files would be nice but I don't believe this is possible with the current config.

I guess the 1st question is it better to have LMS or Squeezelite handle these duties?
Based on the answer to the above if someone could point me to or walk me through the correct steps & settings it would be greatly appreciate.

Please let me know if you would like to see any other information.
Thanks in advance

Eric

Update
I had installed c-3po with the hope of being able to make adjustments related to sampling.
I'm thinking I don't have a compatible version of squeezlite as I get "WARNING Squeezelite version is non R2, assuming is compliant. See players.The SOX version in use does not handle DSD formats. See instructions here:www.audiodigitale.eu."
Further I get no sound on the max2play pi and static on the picoreplayer with high res files. This is with and without ALSA output level set to default to custom.

I uninstalled c-3po and set ALSA output level back to custom and rebooted.
Now i have sound across all formats.
I still see the path to the high res tracks and no audio when selected via the official Logitech app on the iPad. On the iPhone its fine.
I finally got the iPeng v9 app and everything works as it should. App is fantastic. Why I waited all these years is a mystery.

So in conclusion I'm not certain what I did but everything is working the way I'd like.

Now on to setting up Spotify while still using the picore box with Roonlabs.

trans_lux
2017-07-09, 21:07
All my audio issues sorted I'm having issues with my mounted network drive connecting after a reboot of LMS.
After each reboot of LMS I have disabled then re-enable the drive for LMS to see the content then perform a rescan.
Any ideas on a resolution?

Thanks

epoch1970
2017-07-10, 02:32
Hi,
I'd like to experiment with a compression plugin, I understand the one in the LADSPA Caps collection would be a candidate, since Caps is also used for Equal.

I started my usual monkey see-monkey do routine regarding alsa.conf with something like that:
...pcm.ladcomp_compressor {
type ladspa
slave.pcm "ladcomp_limiter";
And got: "... ALSA lib pcm_ladspa.c:1509:(snd_pcm_ladspa_add_plugin) Unable to find or load plugin 'fastLookaheadLimiter' ID 0, path '/usr/local/lib/ladspa/ ..."

I went to quitte.de and could get the source for caps 0.9.24. It fails to compile on an stdlib/cstdlib mismatch and I'm not sure how to resolve that.
So I decided I would get the source for Caps 0.4.5 as modified originally, AFAIK, by user Gerrelt (http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=17431.0) and have a look at the compilation flags or code changes.
However I can't locate the source for caps_0.4.5.tcz

Questions: can I use a compressor with PCP3.2 in its stock config? If not, do you have an idea on how to get the caps source code to compile?
Thanks.

EDIT: found the original caps_0.4.5.tar.gz (http://quitte.de/dsp/caps_0.4.5.tar.gz) from quitte.de. It seems to compile fine as is.

EDIT2: I took caps_0.9.24.orig.tar.bz2 from the raspbian repo and applied the single patch to Autofilter.cc that was necessary to make it build
void
AutoFilter::cycle (uint frames)
{
// div_t qr = div (frames, blocksize);
div_t qr = div ((int)frames, (int)blocksize);
int blocks = qr.quot;
if (qr.rem) ++blocks;
That gave me a working Compressx2 and Eq10x2 configuration. The double-free error I previously obtained when using aplay is also gone.

It's not all perfect, though. I could not make alsaequal work properly along with the compressor, sound was widely distorted. So I have set to using Eq10X2 directly, alas the GUI is gone.

To get Alsaequal to work after upgrading caps, you need to make it use "Eq10" instead of "Eq" from the caps library. I believe you can achieve that by specifying "module Eq10" in the ctl.equal and pcm.plugequal structures in asound.conf.
I took the alsaequal_0.6.orig.tar.bz2 package from the raspberry archives, it compiles right away and defaults to using the new Eq10 name.
In any case, you need to delete /home/tc/.alsaequal.bin, otherwise you'll get an error. That file gets re-created.

EDIT 3: FYI, Steve Harris' Ladspa plugins collection compiles fine from package swh-plugins_0.4.17.orig.tar.gz in the raspberry archives. It needs autoconf and a bunch of tools, I didn't take note of all but my onboot.lst looks like this now:

pcp.tcz
swh-plugins-0.4.17.tcz
socat.tcz
usb-serial-4.9.21-pcpCore_v7.tcz
make.tcz
gcc.tcz
binutils.tcz
compiletc.tcz
python.tcz
expat2.tcz
expat2-dev.tcz
squashfs-tools.tcz
libasound-dev.tcz
automake.tcz
coreutils.tcz
gettext.tcz
gettext-dev.tcz
glib1-dev.tcz
nano.tcz
libtool.tcz
fftw.tcz
fftw-dev.tcz
perl_xml_parser.tcz
I had hopes I would be able to combine alsaequal and a compressor from this suite, but alas, same garbled audio as with an all-Caps config.

EDIT4. In fact a minimal PCP3.2 install only needs this onboot.lst:
$ cat onboot.lst
pcp.tcz
fftw.tcz
swh-plugins-0.4.17.tcz
The 15-band equalizer mbeq, among a few other Ladspa plugins in the collection, requires the FFT functions. So you might not need fftw.tcz.

For what I see, sync between 2 Pi 3s that use the same chain of plugins but different parameters sync fine.

HTH

paul-
2017-07-10, 03:25
What is the remote device? Is it rebooting too.

trans_lux
2017-07-10, 07:27

Paul thanks for the quick response.

Remote device is a Synology NAS that does not reboot.
I tried both CIFS with auth & NFS with no auth and have the same results.
I've been using the same share across several other systems including max2play.

trans_lux
2017-07-10, 07:41

Hum I think I broke something, pCP via web gui has become unresponsive.
Let me start over and see what we get.

Jeff07971
2017-07-11, 03:14
Hi All

I'd like to use the http server on Pcp to serve pictures to a jivelite instance for a "Picture Screensaver"
I have a directory on a SATA drive (which also holds music for LMS) to hold the pictures and "picture.lst"
I have symlinked /mnt/storage/pictures (the SATA mountpoint/picture directory) to /home/tc/www/Pictures and set tc:staff permissions
I have backed up and rebooted but I cannot see the picutres at http://PCP_IP_Adress/Pictures. "404 Not Found"
Anyone got any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

Jeff

ralphy
2017-07-11, 05:03
Hi All

I'd like to use the http server on Pcp to serve pictures to a jivelite instance for a "Picture Screensaver"
I have a directory on a SATA drive (which also holds music for LMS) to hold the pictures and "picture.lst"
I have symlinked /mnt/storage/pictures (the SATA mountpoint/picture directory) to /home/tc/www/Pictures and set tc:staff permissions
I have backed up and rebooted but I cannot see the picutres at http://PCP_IP_Adress/Pictures. "404 Not Found"
Anyone got any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

Jeff

Not sure why it doesn't work off of the html root, but if you put the Pictures folder inside images it should work.

http://PCP_IP_Adress/images/Pictures/test.jpg

Jeff07971
2017-07-11, 05:20
Not sure why it doesn't work off of the html root, but if you put the Pictures folder inside images it should work.

http://PCP_IP_Adress/images/Pictures/test.jpg

Thanks Ralphy

I tried that and it did work, I retried the original way and that did work also.
What made me think it didn't work was it will not do a directory listing.
My bad, sorry !

Thanks again
Jeff

Stoker
2017-07-13, 03:32
Hi

Is it possible for me to upgrade the LMS in piCorePlayer to 7.9.1? I'm sure it is, somehow, but when I try to do it via the "Update" button on the LMS tab in pCP web interface it says no updates available (same in the server settings/advanced/software updates).

LMS 7.9.1 would be useful as, I believe, it would allow seeking within tracks to work in the new Spotty plug-in.

Cheers
--Ian

kidstypike
2017-07-13, 03:37
Hi

Is it possible for me to upgrade the LMS in piCorePlayer to 7.9.1? I'm sure it is, somehow, but when I try to do it via the "Update" button on the LMS tab in pCP web interface it says no updates available (same in the server settings/advanced/software updates).

LMS 7.9.1 would be useful as, I believe, it would allow seeking within tracks to work in the new Spotty plug-in.

Cheers
--Ian

See this post:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107223-Announce-piCorePlayer-3-20-Beta&p=881115&viewfull=1#post881115

mherger
2017-07-13, 04:42
> Is it possible for me to upgrade the LMS in piCorePlayer to 7.9.1? I'm

http://picoreplayer.sourceforge.net/how_to_upgrade_lms.shtml - this
describes the procedure. Once you're on 7.9.1, the regular update
through the web UI should work.

--

Michael