PDA

View Full Version : "New Music" - is it possible to edit?

pablolie
2017-02-19, 12:32
When I change some tags, it bothers me that the files appear under "New Music", which ideally I'd like to be exclusively for recent additions to my library. Does anyone know if there's a way to edit the content of "New Music"?

Julf
2017-02-19, 13:17
When I change some tags, it bothers me that the files appear under "New Music", which ideally I'd like to be exclusively for recent additions to my library. Does anyone know if there's a way to edit the content of "New Music"?

I just run a script that resets file modification times when I edit tags.

AngloCuencano
2017-02-19, 13:30
It probably depends how you are modifying the tags. But Puddletag, for example, has an option "preserve file modification times". (Edit>Preferences>General)

Wirrunna
2017-02-19, 13:36
This is an old one. J.J.Jolz explained it all years ago.

I use MP3Tag to update tags and have MP3Tag Options / Tags - Preserve file modification time when saving tags - ticked.

Then I use BulkFileChanger to add 5 seconds to the File Modification Time, that way a scan picks up the change.

Now, to edit the "New Music" order, I open the folder for the out of order album and check the file modification dates, usually the cover.jpg should give you a good clue as to when the music was added, so I just use BulkFileChanger to reset the modification date.

d6jg
2017-02-20, 02:19

I use MP3Tag to update tags and have MP3Tag Options / Tags - Preserve file modification time when saving tags - ticked.

Then I use BulkFileChanger to add 5 seconds to the File Modification Time, that way a scan picks up the change.

Now, to edit the "New Music" order, I open the folder for the out of order album and check the file modification dates, usually the cover.jpg should give you a good clue as to when the music was added, so I just use BulkFileChanger to reset the modification date.

Like it :)
Simple logic

reinholdk
2017-02-20, 05:27

I made two actions for mp3tag that are invoked by right-clicking the tracks. These actions are calling two power shell scripts that save and later read+increment the file modification time. So all can be done from inside mp3tag.

I can attach them here later if there's interest.

garym
2017-02-20, 06:03
I made two actions for mp3tag that are invoked by right-clicking the tracks. These actions are calling two power shell scripts that save and later read+increment the file modification time. So all can be done from inside mp3tag.

I can attach them here later if there's interest.

Yes, post please

d6jg
2017-02-20, 06:31
+1

reinholdk
2017-02-20, 16:32
As promised, here is how I use mp3tag to modify tags within the library and let LMS detect the changes but prevent a change of the order in New Music.

There are two batch files, SaveLastWriteTime.cmd and IncrementLastWriteTime.cmd: 22173
The first saves the last modification time of a file to a text file at the same place where the original file lives.
The second reads the time back, increments it by one second, sets this as the new modification time of the original file and deletes the text file.

Both batch files use powershell commands to process the time stamps. I'm not a powershell guru but occasionally just try to find my way through. Since powershell has some security measures built in, you should try whether the batch files work out-of-the-box for you. Just copy the files to any folder and drag&drop a file to SaveLastWriteTime.cmd. It should temporarily open a console window and create the text file besides the original file.
In case of problems the console window will stay open and you can check the error message.

To use the batch files in mp3tag, open Options->Tools and add two new entries like this:
Name: SaveLastWriteTime
Path: c:\path\to\SaveLastWriteTime.cmd
Parameter: "%_path%" (with the double quotes)
Be sure to check "for all selected files"
(similar for IncrementLastWriteTime.cmd)

Now when you right-click one or more tracks in mp3tag you can select Tools->SaveLastWriteTime and for each selected file a console window will open and perform the command.
At first sight the many opening windows might be confusing and I wouldn't apply this for hundreds of files at once. And even if it takes several seconds to startup lots of powershell commands in parallel, all console windows should finally disappear.
Now you can edit the tags.
When your done, don't forget to select the same files again and open Tools->IncrementLastWriteTime from the context menu for modifying the time stamps and deleting the text files.