PDA

View Full Version : Original Wifi dongle on PCP3.10 and pi3 not working

M-H
2017-01-26, 12:36
Hi All

I have just tried the original Raspberry Pi WIFI dongle on a new PCP 3.10 as replacement of the onboard Wifi.
So PCP was working on Wifi, Internal adapter was disabled and PCP was restarted with the external dongle.
Unfortunately the device is not recognised as network adapter. ( https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/official-raspberry-pi-wifi-dongle )
The config details I used can be found here : url: http://pastebin.com/nRMqa6er

Is this wifi adapter supported or not ?
If it is supported, can someone point me out what error I have made ?
is there any diagnostics I can that can help ?

The adapter should be OK, but I will verify this with a jessie setup.
And for those who do not advise wifi on the pi, I know it is not the most stable part, hence I am searching for the best option that allows me build truely portable PI based player.

Thanks in advance

Greg Erskine
2017-01-26, 13:06
Hi All

I have just tried the original Raspberry Pi WIFI dongle on a new PCP 3.10 as replacement of the onboard Wifi.
So PCP was working on Wifi, Internal adapter was disabled and PCP was restarted with the external dongle.
Unfortunately the device is not recognised as network adapter. ( https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/official-raspberry-pi-wifi-dongle )
The config details I used can be found here : url: http://pastebin.com/nRMqa6er

Is this wifi adapter supported or not ?
If it is supported, can someone point me out what error I have made ?
is there any diagnostics I can that can help ?

The adapter should be OK, but I will verify this with a jessie setup.
And for those who do not advise wifi on the pi, I know it is not the most stable part, hence I am searching for the best option that allows me build truely portable PI based player.

Thanks in advance

hi M-H,

I am having trouble sometimes going from in-built wifi to a USB wifi adaptor on the RPi3. I found I needed to do a couple of power off and on's after disabling in-built wifi.

Though it looks like you are swapping over to Ethernet as you can see the reports.

regards
Greg

M-H
2017-01-28, 01:43
Hi Greg,

Indeed I swapped to wired ethernet to get into the pi, as I still lack the serial console cable.
Besides, who can live without network connectivity nowadays?

Multiple power offs were not needed; the PCP web interface worked like a charm :
http://192.168.x.y/cgi-bin/wifi.cgi ( RPi3B Built-in Wifi On Off )
Hence wired ethernet was my best friend to get connected again.

I feel it is more a lack of support of the WIFI dongle in PCP 3.1.
Perhaps the microcode is not downloaded to the device or kernel routines for this hardware are missing in the picore.

Investigating this dongle through https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/wifi-dongles I see there are remarks from others noting it is an non-working device. If I had seen that before my attempts and thread start I might have prevented this tread.
But now it is in, lets see if there is more knowledge on this device, and we can document what is possible or not.
It isn't the most vague adapter, and many starters might have bought it believing it is the best supported one.

Greg Erskine
2017-01-28, 22:19
After some more research:

The official Raspberry Pi wifi adaptor works fine on most Raspberry Pi's except for the RPi3B if you turn off the in-built RPi3B wifi.

The USB wifi adaptor and the in-built wifi use the same module "brcmfmac", so when we blacklist "brcmfmac" to turn off the in-built wifi, it also prevents the module loading for the USB wifi adaptor.

BTW: This is the documented way of disabling the in-built RPi3B wifi.

I am surprised I couldn't find any information about this issue. Please post a link if someone knows where to find some relevant information.

dmesg info identifying the official Raspberry Pi USB wifi adaptor

[100938.445146] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 8 using dwc_otg
[100938.548198] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0a5c, idProduct=bd1e
[100938.548222] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[100938.548233] usb 1-1.4: Product: Remote Download Wireless Adapter
[100938.548244] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: Broadcom
[100938.548254] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 000000000001

regards
Greg

paul-
2017-01-29, 08:06
Very recently they have added a new DToverlay to disable the internal rpi3 wifi. But we probably won't release a new kernel for pCP until the new 4.9.y kernel is default and stable.

M-H
2017-01-29, 16:24
Not disabling the internal one does not give us 2 working wlan interfaces, it seems to recognise the internal one only.
If both were recognised we might have had a chance to only configure the external one.

For me the reason for using this external one was twofold:
to avoid the damping of my Rasptouch case of the WIFI signals of the on board adapter on the raspi3
And to use a wel know/supported wifi chipset.

If the original dongle uses the same driver it is likely will not to solve the overal wifi instability, but just give me a better aerial location.

Also just tested with a cheapass dongle , but it also disconnects from the wifi under heavy streaming load ( HD audio ) but that is a sidestep from the
original tread.

paul-
2017-01-29, 16:59
Broadcom wifi chipsets are far from ideal. I would go with a different product.

Jeff07971
2017-01-29, 17:14
Broadcom wifi chipsets are far from ideal. I would go with a different product.

+1

I have had good results with a TP-LINK WDN3200 Wireless USB Adapter Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5572 chipset

Greg Erskine
2017-01-29, 17:34
hi M-H,

You can try uninstalling "firmware-rpi3-wireless.tcz" this will prevent the in-built wifi working.

I have the Official USB wifi adaptor working....very badly. Rebuffers all the time and is slooooww. I assume there is still some interaction between the 2 wifi devices!!

Looking forward to the new overlay, it might be the solution???

Anecdotally, I have found the cheaper generic wifi adaptor work better. I seem to have more issues with expensive named brand wifi adaptors.

The problem recommending wifi adaptors is the manufacturers/suppliers change their chipset without notice. On ebay they say they are using one chipset but supply another!

I also have had wifi adaptors work nearly perfectly for years then after an upgrade in firmware it have become far less reliable.

regards
Greg

M-H
2017-02-10, 08:08
Anecdotally, I have found the cheaper generic wifi adaptor work better. I seem to have more issues with expensive named brand wifi adaptors.

The problem recommending wifi adaptors is the manufacturers/suppliers change their chipset without notice. On ebay they say they are using one chipset but supply another!

I also have had wifi adaptors work nearly perfectly for years then after an upgrade in firmware it have become far less reliable.

Currently I have my :

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter
working perfectly, With under-voltage situations it does even proof to be more stable than the on-board wired ethernet.
Although this setup seems to draw a bit more mili-amps now, it is quite stable, and probably has a better range than the onboard wifi in the aluminium case anyway.

When there is a new driver set to use the original chipset for both internal and external version I might try it again. But currently I will just evade the problematic hardware.
Thanks , all
Regards MH