PDA

View Full Version : squueze classic - LMS - cant run AAC at 320 kbps

swet
2017-01-25, 10:32
hello

I'm trying to stream hi resolution AAC 320 from paradise radio. I have LMS 7.7.1 running on zyxel 325 NAS into squeeze classic with firmware 137.

the URL I am using is:
http://stream-dc1.radioparadise.com:80/aac-320

the squeezebox reports: 'problem, unable to play file type for paradise'

can anybody tell me if AAC at 320kbps is something that my set up cannot play, or should I adjust some settings?

thanks

Ed

alZmtbr
2017-01-25, 12:28
Worked for me on my ancient server software (Version: 7.5.5 - r32671) and a SBT (Firmware: 7.7.3-r16676) - what are your transcoding settings?

Mine is AAC/AAC/Native

slartibartfast
2017-01-25, 14:20
hello

I'm trying to stream hi resolution AAC 320 from paradise radio. I have LMS 7.7.1 running on zyxel 325 NAS into squeeze classic with firmware 137.

the URL I am using is:

can anybody tell me if AAC at 320kbps is something that my set up cannot play, or should I adjust some settings?

thanks

Ed
The Squeezebox Classic can't play AAC natively but I would have thought that LMS would transcode automatically if the default file type settings have not been changed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

utgg
2017-01-26, 01:23
hello

the URL I am using is:

thanks

Ed

Your Squeezebox Classic doesn't play AAC natively, so needs LMS to do transcoding. Unfortunately the version of LMS supplied by Zyxel has disabled transcoding.

A long time ago I gave instructions on how to build your own version of LMS for the Zyxel 325 (7.9 or 7.9 with transcoding enabled), but I think the build script will need patching differently now and I can't recommend going down that path. Instead I would recommend running LMS (7.9) on a separate Raspberry Pi 3, running picoreplayer, Max2Play or just install on standard Raspian. The music can stay on the NAS.

swet
2017-01-26, 01:48
Your Squeezebox Classic doesn't play AAC natively, so needs LMS to do transcoding. Unfortunately the version of LMS supplied by Zyxel has disabled transcoding.

thanks utgg. I have a beaglebone which I ran with squeezelite, I will dig that out and try it. At the moment the classic is running Ogg at 192 which is entirely acceptable so I guess I'm just being difficult for the sake of it.

thanks for the rest of the replies.

Ed

Mnyb
2017-01-26, 05:36
The transcoding may be disabled for a reason . The machine migth not have memory and cpu for the tasks or there are no SoX FLAC and FAAD (and more ) binaries and helper apps compiled for that platform or both of them .

Supose the beaglebone can rin PiCorePlayer or Max2Play which has very easy means to install a LMS server .

utgg
2017-01-26, 06:27
The transcoding may be disabled for a reason . The machine migth not have memory and cpu for the tasks or there are no SoX FLAC and FAAD (and more ) binaries and helper apps compiled for that platform or both of them .

I'm not sure why Zyxel decided to disable the transcoding - it is disabled in the the startup command in their startup script and the FLAC and FAAD binaries weren't supplied. But IIRC the NAS was able to transcode AAC independently and simultaneously to all 4 of my duet receivers with around 20% cpu load with my own installation of LMS 7.9.

Mnyb
2017-01-26, 08:37
I'm not sure why Zyxel decided to disable the transcoding - it is disabled in the the startup command in their startup script and the FLAC and FAAD binaries weren't supplied. But IIRC the NAS was able to transcode AAC independently and simultaneously to all 4 of my duet receivers with around 20% cpu load with my own installation of LMS 7.9.

Wierd is it some kind of one size fits all package ? That would fit older and less capable products huh.