PDA

View Full Version : How to use iPeng to enter password for wireless connection

sflen
2017-01-13, 14:29
Recently posted about my Classic that has, per people smarter than me, a faulty IR sensor. Pressing any remote key causes wild behavior where words and numbers just fly by. Plays perfectly once the madness stops. To select anything, I now use iPeng satisfactorily.

I just moved this faulty Classic that was located in my Bedroom and switched it with another Classic that works great. Unfortunately, I cannot find where on iPeng I can set up this misbehaving Classic wirelessly. In order to even have iPeng recognize this Classic, I had to stretch a 50' ethernet cable from an Airport Extreme so at least it is 'alive' and iPeng sees it.

Now what? Because of the bad IR sensor, I cannot enter my password - an exercise in extreme futility.

Please help me find where in iPeng (or online) where I can enter my wireless password so I can connect, um, wirelessly.

Thank you!

(iMac, Sierra 10.12.2)

pippin
2017-01-13, 14:41
You can't set the WiFi password with iPeng.
There's a command line tool called Net::UDAP that does this, though.

sflen
2017-01-13, 14:48
You can't set the WiFi password with iPeng.
There's a command line tool called Net::UDAP that does this, though.

Please explain a bit more. I may have and use many Squeezebox devices, but I do not know where and how to do this. At least I can stop searching on iPeng.

Thanks

PS You have no idea how grateful I am for your app!!! I just upgraded from iPeng HD even though my iPads worked fine with the old one. Now I have split view on my Pro!

PPS I just searched for "Net::UDAP" and unfortunately, this is way above my pay grade. Time to get that 75' ethernet cable (big room) from Monoprice and stretch it along the walls. I do appreciate the heads up!

pippin
2017-01-13, 15:32
I think there's pretty good step-by-step description in the Net::UDAP thread here although admittedly I have never used it myself.

If you still go with a cable: I use flat Ethernet cables to hide it behind skirting and that works quite well.

I had considered integrating UDAP setup into iPeng but found it to be too unreliable and iPeng being a commercial product I don't want to integrate a functionality that might not work for some people.

d6jg
2017-01-13, 15:52
Please explain a bit more. I may have and use many Squeezebox devices, but I do not know where and how to do this. At least I can stop searching on iPeng.

Thanks

PS You have no idea how grateful I am for your app!!! I just upgraded from iPeng HD even though my iPads worked fine with the old one. Now I have split view on my Pro!

PPS I just searched for "Net::UDAP" and unfortunately, this is way above my pay grade. Time to get a 75' ethernet cable (big room) from Monoprice and stretch it along the walls.
I do appreciate the heads up!

What about Powerline Network Adapters instead of 75' of cable? Google and you will find out what they are if you don't know. One by your router and another by the Classic in question.

sflen
2017-01-13, 16:14
What about Powerline Network Adapters instead of 75' of cable? Google and you will find out what they are if you don't know. One by your router and another by the Classic in question.

Without Powerline adapters I would not have WiFi/Ethernet in my house, as all my walls both external and internal are masonry with concrete floors. I now have 7 TrendNet Adapters with 7 Airport Extremes in a roaming network. TrendNet does not recommend more than 8 in use and I keep the extra 8th one for temporary connections. Should have thought of using that 8th one for my initial testing. grrrr!

Anyway, I just neatly stretched out my 50' cable along the baseboards and used an ethernet connector to connect another 7' cable to complete the installation so I did not have to get a 75' cable. All working fine. Monoprice is a great resource and incredibly cheap for all sorts of cables (and no, I do not work there or have any connections (ha!) with them).

Now that so-called bad Classic is in a room where it will not be used as often as the Bedroom. The volume now is fixed and is synched to a Touch so very little need for a factory remote. Besides I can always use my old iPod Touch and iPeng. I relabeled everything and set up my syncs to reflect the changes.

Exhausted!

and Pippin, when I checked the Getting Started for Net::UDAP I was lost on the 2nd line... I do appreciate the information and in the end, the ethernet cable did the trick. Thanks again for the reply.