PDA

View Full Version : Boom or Radio or something more modern?

Web_Engel
2017-01-13, 08:26
Hi,

I own a duet, connected to a NAS running LMS 7.9 with which I am quite satisfied. So this will stay.

Now I want something more portable and smaller for another room. This will be for children audio (audio book) in the children's room or for the bedroom.

Are the Boom and the Radio still valid choices today? Would current owners still buy them should they break? I mean, the Boom does not show cover art, the Radio is mono, so this is not state of the art anymore.

Synchronized play is not a must-have.

Martin

DJanGo
2017-01-13, 08:50
If you want to buy something - i would look to some threads about rpi 7" Touch.

If you want to bult something - go the same route .;)

edit: https://shop.max2play.com/de/raspberry-pi-2-bundle-7-display.html

karlek
2017-01-13, 11:17
I recently bought some used Booms and Radios. The Radios are mainly for my children. Who can't yet read but they know the covers. One Radio is in the sleeping room another in the bathroom. Sound is fairly good , at least in those places. For kitchen my wife insisted in a Boom. The more powerful sound brings more joy to cooking and so. The 2 other Booms I bought as replacement.
I'd say the Radio will be a good decision for your daughter. And yes I would still buy them.

SlimChances
2017-01-13, 11:56
Stereo can be achieved with a pair of Radios run synchronously with a few player settings

Web_Engel
2017-01-13, 13:42
If you want to buy something - i would look to some threads about rpi 7" Touch.

That seems to be more a replacement for the Duet (or a Touch). However, I am looking for an all-in-one solution like the Boom.

DJanGo
2017-01-13, 15:14
That seems to be more a replacement for the Duet (or a Touch). However, I am looking for an all-in-one solution like the Boom.
Then grab yourself a boom :rolleyes:
or add something like that.

https://www.amazon.de/Cabstone-SoundBar-Stereo-Lautsprecher-USB-Plug-schwarz/dp/B004OARYYW/

Its not all in one but working fine.
http://minifahrer.bplaced.net/wrdprs/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ribba-pi_in_action.jpg

bpa
2017-01-14, 03:13
Another alternative is to use a speaker which is googlecast enabled ( https://www.google.com/chromecast/built-in/audio/ ) and use the Castbridge plugin. There are portable battery powered ones. They don't sell well so sometimes you can find a good offer I got a Sony SRS-X77 at 50% discount (sound is similar to a Boom).

With this sort of speaker you have flexibility - Googlecast, Airplay, Bluetooth, NFC, SpotifyConnect as well as LMS - portable, wifi .

This solution is not integrated so LMS control is via browser, smartphone,tablet, iPod Touch but since GoogleCast/Airplay enabled - phone/tablet have access to other non LMS supported apps to play through speaker.

reinholdk
2017-01-14, 03:54
Are the Boom and the Radio still valid choices today? Would current owners still buy them should they break? I mean, the Boom does not show cover art, the Radio is mono, so this is not state of the art anymore.

Sure they are still valid choices - and I have already two spare Radios, just in case.
And I don't care that the Radio is mono at the places where I use them (bathroom, kitchen, etc). They sound good enough there. And I appreciate both the color display and the hardware knobs and buttons.

Julf
2017-01-14, 06:45
the Radio is mono

What benefit would stereo be if you don't have two speakers spaced wide enough apart?

wortgefecht
2017-01-14, 08:45
This solution is not integrated so LMS control is via browser, smartphone,tablet, iPod Touch but since GoogleCast/Airplay enabled - phone/tablet have access to other non LMS supported apps to play through speaker.

What about the CastBridge addon that integrates Chromecasts into LMS as players?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6 mit Tapatalk

bpa
2017-01-14, 08:52
What about the CastBridge addon that integrates Chromecasts into LMS as players?
That is what I am talking about see the previous line. The chromecast enabled speakers do not have screen to choose what to play and OP wants an integrated device - SB player screen and speakers all in one.

wortgefecht
2017-01-14, 09:54
That is what I am talking about see the previous line. The chromecast enabled speakers do not have screen to choose what to play and OP wants an integrated device - SB player screen and speakers all in one.

Sorry, my bad, didn't read the whole post ...

Web_Engel
2017-01-14, 12:25
What benefit would stereo be if you don't have two speakers spaced wide enough apart?

Well, true. But if you have a stereo like the Boom, you can come close to it so that you get a stereo triangle. Probably not the ideal angle unless you get very close. I am not sure about the distance between the two Boom speakers though.

tcutting
2017-01-14, 12:27
I'd recommend a Radio. I find it ideal for a bedroom application - compact, all-in-one, hard buttons to allow simple control without remote, decent sound, nice color display. I recently added a used radio to our guest bedroom (in addition to radios already in our master and son's bedroom).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RonM
2017-01-15, 10:09
I have a radio plus a UE radio still in the box, which I will take back to the "old" version one day. It's a spare. I'd buy another in an instant if it were cheap. I think the sound is great for the size.

R.

Web_Engel
2017-01-15, 12:24
I just bought a Radio on Ebay. Thanks for all the input.