PDA

View Full Version : Controller lost connection to my local Logitech Media Server - how to get it back

Gadgety1
2017-01-10, 07:38
Has been working flawlessly for a year, then yesterday (a Monday) it could no longer connect to the local LMS. LMS running on a Windows7 PC, SP1, and the PC is on the network. Connection is wireless. Controller, PC and Squeezebox all show up on the network and are connected to it.

Diagnostics show:

Running 7.7.3.r16662 and the MAC address is displayed
Network Health: All network tests passed successfully
Wireless network wireless signal: 100%
Server info: this shows the mysqueezebox.com address, Ping OK, TCP ports are OK, I'm informed I'm registered; Logitech Media Server: Not connected, Library name not connected, Ping: Not connected
Networking: connected to the right network

I guess this could be due to Microsoft Security Essentials. I checked and LMS is allowed through the firewall, and all incoming Logitech communication is allowed, and the TCP is activated, and LMS is prioritized.

Under Software update it said "begin update (7.7.3 r16662)" and referred to the archive. Since it's already running this very software version, I didn't get why it was suggesting an update. Nevertheless, I accepted the update. No change.

So, any suggestions of how to get the connection to the local version of LMS?

Mnyb
2017-01-11, 01:36
select "my music"

Gadgety1
2017-01-15, 11:30
If it were that easy I'd done it. The Controller shows a red antenna (as in no connection), while the wireless signal is 100% (and all the other etc, as described above), and the controller shows up on router, as does the Squeezebox.

In the old days I vaguely remember one had to be logged into mysqueezebox.com, but that isn't a requirement anymore afaik. Somehow I get the feeling this is a problem related to that. Why? Everything looks Ok. Under "diagnostics server info" while, the mysqueezebox.com keeps switching between different addresses. Ping is OK, TCP ports OK etc. Then under "Not connected" is LMS, Library name, ping, TCP ports... so there's something odd there.

EDIT: I looked into Networking (where the correct network is chosen), and there are two other headings, Remote Libraries and switch to mysqueezebox.com. Under Add new library I tried entering the library adress and the first 6 digit swere OK, but then I could only choose between 1 or 2 as the 7th digit. All my sources start with the digit 4 as the 7th digit. Exited. Switching to mysqueezebox.com is not possible either.

ENABLED SSH on the Controller, tried to log into it, but it doesn't show up from my PC (although it's visible on the router).

Mnyb
2017-01-15, 11:59
Something is odd with your wifi or network .

The controller should be at the same network and subnet as the LMS if its running , and then the controller autodiscovers LMS and you can choose my music .

Network example 192.168.1.82 and subnet 255.255.255.0 these are 4 by 3 numbers they can be maximum 255 so the firts digit is always limited to 1 or 2 you may have to do like this 192.168.001.082 and put in the leading zeros .

Yes putting up your LMS as remote library i s a workaaround when port 3483 udp/tcp is blocked on the LMS machine it is the broadcast for server discovery (port 9000 is usually the web-UI)

Gadgety1
2017-01-15, 15:01
Something is odd with your wifi or network .

The controller should be at the same network and subnet as the LMS if its running , and then the controller autodiscovers LMS and you can choose my music .

Network example 192.168.1.82 and subnet 255.255.255.0 these are 4 by 3 numbers they can be maximum 255 so the firts digit is always limited to 1 or 2 you may have to do like this 192.168.001.082 and put in the leading zeros .

Yes putting up your LMS as remote library i s a workaaround when port 3483 udp/tcp is blocked on the LMS machine it is the broadcast for server discovery (port 9000 is usually the web-UI)

Thank you. Well, according to the router the Controller is on the network, and according to the Controller, it's on the network, too. Since no libraries are registered, I chose Networking, Add New Library, with the intent of entering the library for LMS which is running. I entered the first 6 digits, 192.168, then I tried with the leading zeros. At least the correct number could now be added as a new library. Thank you for that. Still didn't work. I tried reinstalling the software, yet again. Then suddenly there were two Squeezeboxes showing up. One was working. Then reset the other, both working. Problem solved. I don't know how this happened though. Neither how the problem appeared, nor what it was that got it working again. Anyway, thank you for your assistance.

Gadgety1
2017-01-15, 17:11
So, back in Squeezeboxland. Turned on my second Receiver with my Controller. Got it to connect. Changed its name from the generic "Squeezebox Receiver" to a location based name. Played some music. Saw it appear on the LMS PC interface. Then all of a sudden the Receiver turns blue. I get it to connect again. The generic "Squeezebox Receiver" name is back. This is odd. I've seen it saved, both on the Controller and on the PC. Seems like the Receiver either didn't get programmed, or overwrites whatever has been entered. Ok. Got it up and running yet again. Changed the name, again. Started playing music, again. Saw it on the network, and on LMS, again. It plays two songs, then goes blue. Receiver doesn't seem to like name changes. In the user guide it says it may be firewall related. Then I noticed it said something about Region, under networks, on the Controller, USA and Europe, or something like that. I hadn't selected apparently. OK, so picked Europe. The Controller went into a fit starting to try connect to the network (it was already connected), looping, showing the antenna, red, then spinning arrow for quite a while. Yes, so back to square one. Non working connected Controller, and Squeezebox Receiver.

EDIT: Turned on the Controller today and it's working. The Receiver has been playing music today, then playing up, losing connection after 14 minutes online. It went into blue, then green once. I removed it from the network, and added it again. Started working. Played a couple of songs, then it went blue. Supposedly this means it's on the network waiting to be connected to a music source. Not the case because the router, this time, doesn't display the Receiver any longer... 10 minutes later, it's green, but the router does not show that the Receiver is attempting to contact, and the network is open. I do other stuff for about half an hour. Upon my return, yay, the Receiver is white, and online. It's confirmed by the router... 5 minutes later music is playing. We'll see for how long before it drops out again.

I activate the Receiver from my Controller and the Receiver goes blue immediately, as in connected but waiting to connect to . However while it previously was on-line according to both the white lamp, and according to Router, it no longer is. Flaky. And a few hours later, the blue has turned white on its own, the Router shows the Receiver as online (and added by the router), and as soon as I activate the Receiver via the Controller, blue light is on. Since I have another receiver which works, seems unlikely that it is either router or PC creating these problems. I probably have to dig up some sort of log.

Gadgety1
2017-01-22, 02:52
Inexplicably and on its own it's back and everything is hunky dory. I didn't do a thing, so can't explain what or why. It does seem to dislike renaming the Receiver. If I rename it, it turns on, shows up on the PC/web interface, plays for a little while, then stops and is incommunicable, only to come back after a day or two, with the old name.

Mnyb
2017-01-22, 03:05
Inexcplicably and on its own it's back and everything is hunky dory. I didn't do a thing, so can't explaind what or why. It does seem to dislike renaming the Receiver. If I rename it, it turns on, shows up on the PC/web interface, plays for a little while, then stops and is incommunicable, only to come back after a day or two, with the old name.

and is it really registred to your mysqueezebox.com account and not the previus owner .

When on LMS it should show in mysqueezebox.com but not "connected" but it should be there , if you cant tell them appart the mac adress is exposed in the web page and also in the information tab in LMS and on the sticker of the reciver .
If you switch a reciever over to mysqueezebox.com does it apaer in your acount ? do reckon any of the installed apps etc .

Have you configured your mysqueezebox.com acount in LMS (there is a tab for that ) . The thing is that there is a settings synchronisation between your local LMS server and your online account . And LMS also fetches apps and radio functiuonality from mysqueezebox.com

For your home network dont block things by mac id btw and observer that the controller has it own mac , so its two devices.

Did you buy your recievers used ?

Gadgety1
2017-01-22, 10:26
I'm the first owner, but it was set up using another PC, no longer in service. Bought them new... 9 years ago. Didn't use them for a long while, and when I restarted I seem to remember I didn't need to use MySqueezebox.com to use them (I think it was a change in the software enabling this). Both Receivers show up on MySqueezebox.com, both "Not Connected". The name for the one playing up with the name change is different here from the name I'm trying to give it. It is also different from the name that it keeps taking on, a generic "Squeezebox Receiver." I can log into MySqueezebox.com. The LMS [local I assume] server settings tab for mysqueezebox.com requires me to enter the email and password. I do, but the software keeps blanking it out. I can see that the mysqueezebox.com-integration is activated. I have a long list of active plugin-programs, but I know for a fact, I didn't select or activate all of them. Perhaps these were active by default when I installed v 7.7.3 which I'm running currently?

toby10
2017-01-23, 02:31
LMS showing blank password for MySB.com Settings tab is normal and expected (though silly). Any mention of "invalid login" on that LMS page?
Try switching both players to MySB.com (no LMS). Do both show up as "Connected"?

Gadgety1
2017-01-23, 04:31
LMS showing blank password for MySB.com Settings tab is normal and expected (though silly). Any mention of "invalid login" on that LMS page?
Try switching both players to MySB.com (no LMS). Do both show up as "Connected"?

Thank you. The login is valid when I login from the PC on mysqueezebox.com. Switching to the Network to mysqueezebox.com from the Controller results in nothing. When I open up the Control Panel for Logitech Media Server on my Windows PC by right clicking, i e admin mode, the LMS control panel opens up and the there is a red text greeting stating "You have no right to run as administrator, you need to select the Start button, and right click and run as admin." It's what I did... Under the Account tab now there is a password (which was previously blank) with no less than 23 digits. Not something I created. To make sure mysqueezebox.com and the pc were on the same page I reset the password yesterday, with much fewer digits.

Gadgety1
2017-01-23, 04:41
If you switch a reciever over to mysqueezebox.com does it apaer in your acount ? do reckon any of the installed apps etc .

Well, I can't seem to do that. When I try to switch over to mysqueezebox.com in the LMS control panel, it states the password is incorrect. I entered it manually, and used the same one I use online in the browser. Login in via the browser works. The email address in the LMS control panel tab is correct as well. Oddly, while previously when starting up the password box was blank, today it stated a 23 digit password (hidden).

Gadgety1
2017-01-23, 05:13

Well, I can't seem to do that. When I try to switch over to mysqueezebox.com in the LMS control panel, it states the password is incorrect. I entered it manually, and used the same one I use online in the browser. Login in via the browser works. The email address in the LMS control panel tab is correct as well. Oddly, while previously when starting up the password box was blank, today it stated a 23 digit password (hidden).

It sort of reminds me of cache issues, that it keeps something old stored and refuses to overwrite it. The same with the name of one of the Squeezebox Receivers.

I also tried accepting the existing 23 digit password. When I click OK, the control panel just closes. When I click excecute (the button to the lower farthest right hand side) the control panel just closes.

Finally, I clicked the "forgot password" button in the vain hope this would lead to a reset. I got the new password, which of course logged me into the account via the browser. Entering it into the LMS Control Panel has no effect whatsoever. Whether clicking OK or Execute it just closes. When opening again it now displays that 23 digit hidden password. No change.

Mnyb
2017-01-23, 06:01
Something is not rigth ! does any other preference you change stick ?

Mnyb
2017-01-23, 06:02
I mean reinstall the whole LMS from sctratch ?

toby10
2017-01-23, 09:54
Thank you. The login is valid when I login from the PC on mysqueezebox.com. Switching to the Network to mysqueezebox.com from the Controller results in nothing. When I open up the Control Panel for Logitech Media Server on my Windows PC by right clicking, i e admin mode, the LMS control panel opens up and the there is a red text greeting stating "You have no right to run as administrator, you need to select the Start button, and right click and run as admin." It's what I did... Under the Account tab now there is a password (which was previously blank) with no less than 23 digits. Not something I created. To make sure mysqueezebox.com and the pc were on the same page I reset the password yesterday, with much fewer digits.

No, I meant when you go to LMS > Settings > MySB.com, does this show any "invalid" login (not when you log into MySB.com from your computer).

I think you are confusing the two different LMS MySB.com login credentials pages.

LMS > Control Panel > Account, this correctly shows password in dots
LMS > Settings > MySB.com, this correctly shows password as blank (silly as it sounds) and will show "invalid login" if the credentials are incorrect *or* if LMS cannot see the internet

Try turning LMS off, completely. Now try to connect the players themselves to MySB.com (not from LMS web ui).

Gadgety1
2017-01-26, 15:55
@Toby, now both show password through dots. Control panel > Settings > MySqueezebox.com shows a looong password that I must have received from Logitech once upon a time, because I would never create one that long.

LMS > Settings > MySB.com also shows dots now... odd? I will try connecting the Receivers without LMS running on the PC.

@Mnyb, your suggestion is to reinstall LMS on the PC. Perhaps a good idea. I'm thinking, it might be good to wipe everything. I checked the server log and it shows a lot of errors, related to not being able to login to mysqueezebox.com. The question I have is, the password, all 23 digits, relevant. I believe the password I've set myself, which logs me into mysqueezebox.com, should be the one I get here. You know, how can the old password reappear instead of the new one. That must be stored locally on the PC. Even if I've never had LMS installed on this PC previuosly, I've got a lot of copied files form previous PC. So wiping LMS and reinstalling should get rid of the wrong password.

Other oddities have happened, for example I turned off the Receivers and the PC, but during the night a Receiver had gone from completely off to white light on.

kidstypike
2017-01-27, 00:53
@Toby, now both show password through dots. Control panel > Settings > MySqueezebox.com shows a looong password that I must have received from Logitech once upon a time, because I would never create one that long.

LMS > Settings > MySB.com also shows dots now... odd? I will try connecting the Receivers without LMS running on the PC.

@Mnyb, your suggestion is to reinstall LMS on the PC. Perhaps a good idea. I'm thinking, it might be good to wipe everything. I checked the server log and it shows a lot of errors, related to not being able to login to mysqueezebox.com. The question I have is, the password, all 23 digits, relevant. I believe the password I've set myself, which logs me into mysqueezebox.com, should be the one I get here. You know, how can the old password reappear instead of the new one. That must be stored locally on the PC. Even if I've never had LMS installed on this PC previuosly, I've got a lot of copied files form previous PC. So wiping LMS and reinstalling should get rid of the wrong password.

Other oddities have happened, for example I turned off the Receivers and the PC, but during the night a Receiver had gone from completely off to white light on.

Looks like a red herring to me, I have the same - 23 dots, even though my mysq.com password is only 8 characters.

Gadgety1
2017-01-27, 01:06
@kidstypike OK, thank you.

@Toby. OK so without the LMS, PC off, I had access to webradio with one of the receivers, but not with the other.

Mnyb
2017-01-27, 01:42
@kidstypike OK, thank you.

@Toby. OK so without the LMS, PC off, I had access to webradio with one of the receivers, but not with the other.

Are both recievers actually registred to your mysqueezebox.com account ? and the controller(rs)

Gadgety1
2017-01-29, 12:36
Both Receivers were visible on the mysqueezebox.com site last time I looked, which was just the other day. Not anymore. I have installed diddlely squat, so what would warrant this change? Meanwhile, there is the 23 digit password, which apparently is a red herring, which I'm 100% sure Logitech handed out to me. Fish. If I say I want to get a new password, I get to reset the one I have (which I've already done). The alternative is to ask for an account. Since I already have one, that probably won't help much, and I assume it would just mess things up even more.

What was the significance of being able, or not, to connect to webradio with the local server turned off that Toby suggested? Why was that suggested? To test whether I had access, I guess. Well it worked on one of the Receivers. Would this access influence the settings on mysqueezebox.com? That seems far fetched.

The Mysqueezebox.com still remembers my favourites and my apps. Just that the Receivers are gone. I'm reluctant to wipe everything, because I believe it will look as if I have not had an account.

Gadgety1
2017-01-29, 23:39
I woke up in the middle of the night because the Squeezebox in my bedroom was fully on and lit with a bright white light. It was turned off when I went to bed. So this is behaving like a SB Radio (?), and living its own digital life, perhaps updating in the middle of the night? And now, when I have the PC turned on, the same SBR is completely turned off. This and my registered products removed from the mysqueezebox.com, as Mnyb said "Something's not right."

slartibartfast
2017-01-30, 00:28
You could try resetting the receivers and the controller to factory settings and set them up from scratch.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Mnyb
2017-01-30, 00:55
What do you mean "disapeared from mysb.com" ste they still registred but unconected , thats ok then they are conected to your lms install.

toby10
2017-01-30, 03:13
......What was the significance of being able, or not, to connect to webradio with the local server turned off that Toby suggested? Why was that suggested? To test whether I had access, I guess. Well it worked on one of the Receivers. Would this access influence the settings on mysqueezebox.com? That seems far fetched....

To verify that your players can connect to MySB.com and are connecting to the correct MySB.com, which I'm starting to suspect isn't happening.
No, it would not influence any settings on MySB.com by simply connecting the player.

Mnyb
2017-01-30, 03:36
You dont have an old mysb.com account ,that you forget the login to ? these where your players , not bougth used if remebered correctly ?

Maybe contact support with the MAC id of both the recievers and the controller .
Support migth also verify that your MAC id is not spoofed by anyone else (it's happen some people did register software players as real squeezeboxes )

You should have one account only .

Gadgety1
2017-02-01, 06:13
Thank you all for your comments and advice. @Mnyb @Toby When I log in now, my Receivers do not show up any longer. I get a "Oops! You don't appear to have any players registered to this account." In addition when I tested to connect with my PC off last night, something that worked last week, didn't work now.

To verify that your players can connect to MySB.com and are connecting to the correct MySB.com, which I'm starting to suspect isn't happening. Yes, well I HAD the ability to play radio on one of the Receivers only last week, as reported. This does no longer work as per above.

No, it would not influence any settings on MySB.com by simply connecting the player. Great!

You dont have an old mysb.com account ,that you forget the login to My perception of this process is that it is set up "automatically" so the transparency is lacking. I can't tell. How can I find out whether I had a different account previously? I had that herring password and I remember many years ago that the password and accounts were quite long. There's no log over nearly a decade that I've had this stuff. I can't remember whether I had a different account. I doubt it, though, because I've used the same email for most all of my various online accounts whoever the supplier. I've had at least three or four or perhaps even five PCs since I established the account, though. That should not influence, I believe. There is something else wrong, as previously mentioned, as I cannot activate Administrators right's on the PC despite right clicking. I get red text reminding me to do what I do, i e right click.

Maybe contact support with the MAC id of both the recievers and the controller. When I click on mysqueezbox.com's email support or phone support none of the links work. Email support worldwide ends up with a text in my local language "Sorry not available in your location" and regional phone support with a "server not found."

@slartibarfast I did reset one of the Receivers because it started playing up. That was a while ago, and I cannot pinpoint when exactly. Perhaps a year ago, perhaps two, when I started reusing Squeezeboxes after quite a few years without.

Mnyb
2017-02-01, 09:41
Re my squeezebox.com account .

At some point you have to manually give an email and password , so it does not just happens .

And also when you instal LMS it's also asking for these credentials, which should be the same don't create multiple accounts !

However if you have a working LMS with the correct credentials it takes care of it in the background ,it just adds new players in the background .

Again are these used players ?

Swiftie
2017-02-02, 00:07
I haven't been following this thread (I have the attention span of a gnat these days), but back a page of posts or so, I was wondering if there may be a TCP/IP Address conflict issue? Probably not, but they're unparalleled for obscure issues.

You can get these if you install additional WiFi access points, and don't turn off the DNS service in them, for example. I wouldn't know how diagnose this though. The command "arp -a" will show you which IP addresses are present. And the command "tracert [ipaddr]" will show the route to an ipaddr (IP Address) which isn't in your local network.

Gadgety1
2017-02-03, 04:08

No, I bought them new in 2008.

Gadgety1
2017-02-03, 04:14
I was wondering if there may be a TCP/IP Address conflict issue? Probably not, but they're unparalleled for obscure issues. You can get these if you install additional WiFi access points, and don't turn off the DNS service in them, for example. I wouldn't know how diagnose this though. The command "arp -a" will show you which IP addresses are present. And the command "tracert [ipaddr]" will show the route to an ipaddr (IP Address) which isn't in your local network.

I believe I only have one Wifi access point, which is the Wifi modem/router. My internet has changed from wired with Wifi access points via a Netgear router, to wireless wifi via LTE on a 4G phablet.

Gadgety1
2017-02-03, 04:21
Re my squeezebox.com account .

At some point you have to manually give an email and password , so it does not just happens .

And also when you instal LMS it's also asking for these credentials, which should be the same don't create multiple accounts !

However if you have a working LMS with the correct credentials it takes care of it in the background ,it just adds new players in the background .

The account I've been using for the past two years hasn't changed. I did change the password. Whether I changed the original account, established in 2008, I cannot recall. I may have used my work mail to register, but I doubt it. Logitech then sold a product and they should have stated "You need to be able to keep this account for as long as you want our product to work." I don't recall any such warnings, only that an email address was needed. Luckily I haven't abandoned my hotmail account, and I believe that was the one I used.

Gadgety1
2017-02-03, 04:23
Maybe contact support with the MAC id of both the recievers and the controller .

How do I go about doing that? Is calling the USA the only option? It seems that way because Logitech's own links are dead.

kidstypike
2017-02-03, 04:30
How do I go about doing that? Is calling the USA the only option? It seems that way because Logitech's own links are dead.

Just PM Michael Herger in this forum.

toby10
2017-02-03, 06:03
.... Luckily I haven't abandoned my hotmail account, and I believe that was the one I used.

You'll know easy enough by simply logging into MySB.com if you are using the correct and current email. What matters is what email is currently registered at MySB.com, not which email you originally registered with (if different).

Mnyb
2017-02-03, 08:24
The account I've been using for the past two years hasn't changed. I did change the password. Whether I changed the original account, established in 2008, I cannot recall. I may have used my work mail to register, but I doubt it. Logitech then sold a product and they should have stated "You need to be able to keep this account for as long as you want our product to work." I don't recall any such warnings, only that an email address was needed. Luckily I haven't abandoned my hotmail account, and I believe that was the one I used.

Piont is log in to the original account and change your email .

Don't create new accounts when chaning email .

Problem the old types of players like reciever must be deleted from one account before they can be used in another account .

So it's simpler to keep ones acount forever and just change your data according to your change of circumstances like new email and other stuff .

And i dont think you actually need to have the adress anymore just use it as user name .

Gadgety1
2017-02-05, 05:04
@kidstypike Thank you!

@Toby
You'll know easy enough by simply logging into MySB.com if you are using the correct and current email. What matters is what email is currently registered at MySB.com, not which email you originally registered with (if different). Thanks, I am able to log in. Except my Receivers which were there are now gone.

@Mnyb
Problem the old types of players like reciever must be deleted from one account before they can be used in another account. Thank you for the explanation. So players/receivers need to be released from the original account, under the assumption there has been a change and this change is the cause of the trouble.

toby10
2017-02-06, 02:58
.... So players/receivers need to be released from the original account, under the assumption there has been a change and this change is the cause of the trouble.

Players can only be assigned to one MySB.com account. The two reasons you might need them released:
1. it's not your account
2. user created two accounts, players are on acct 1, user wants them on acct 2.

toby10
2017-02-06, 03:00
... Thanks, I am able to log in. Except my Receivers which were there are now gone..

They are not listed at all? Or they are listed but show as not connected?