PDA

View Full Version : Alexa - alternative to IFTTT / Amazon Music Unlimited

InvisibleMonkey
2017-01-08, 12:29
Ultimately, it would be nice if Alexa could control Squeezeboxes and play (directly) streams from Amazon Music Unlimited. Nice, but possibly unlikely.

However, what about this as an idea (with apologies if this has been raised / done already)...

What about a plug-in that keeps line-in enabled unless the Squeezebox is used to play something. When playing stops - so there's no sound output - line in is re-enabled. Alexa is then connected via line-in and you can used either.

Pros:
- simple and spouse-friendly set-up (no fiddling with line-in setting, etc.)
- Alexa and the box can be used to play audio as needed
- Works in conjunction with any IFTTT approach - i.e. "Alexa play..." streams via Alexa through the SB; "Alexa ask Squeezebox to play ..." controls the SB directly.

Cons:
- relies on Alexa's audio-out (so possibly quality issue if you're that bothered)
- Alexa isn't usable if playing via Squeezebox directly
- Squeezebox needs to be on for Alexa to work

So: not idea, but sounds like a simple way to get Alexa control with Amazon Music Unlimited support. Also a cheap options as it just needs a Dot per Squeezebox. Any obvious flaw in this / opportunity to point out it's already been done...

Thank you,

Andrew

anderdb
2017-01-19, 19:26
I recently purchased a Dot for my office Boom for exactly this purpose (and controlling the lights, etc.). There is a setting for the Boom that allows you to set the line-in to always on (in theory). It's great when it works but unfortunately the line-in on the Boom has some bugs that cause the audio to shut off. I need to play around with the volume on the Boom via the web interface or unplug/replug the cable to get it to wake the line-in up again which makes it inconvenient as an always-on speaker system for Alexa/Amazon Music. There are some old unfixed issues in the bug database that confirm this issue and similar issues with the Radio apparently. You don't mention what specific model you have but I'm guessing you have either the Boom or Radio since I think these are the only ones with line-in? If so, it probably has similar issues that would make using Alexa/Amazon Music via the Squeezebox a bit annoying.