PDA

View Full Version : Audio Cross-fading

cparker
2017-01-03, 04:37
Happy New Year

Can anybody tell me whether audio crossfading works specifically on a Duet system and other hardware players. I'm pretty sure crossfade has never worked for me, or at least I've never noticed it working but maybe it's something in my system.

Cheers

d6jg
2017-01-03, 05:26
It is set up in Settings / Player / Audio

drmatt
2017-01-03, 06:24
I think by default it also doesn't cross-fade between tracks in the same album.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

d6jg
2017-01-03, 08:45
I think by default it also doesn't cross-fade between tracks in the same album.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

That is correct. The default is that Smartfade is enabled. Tracks within the same album are not subject to crossfade. It is all perfectly clear in Settings / Player / Audio if you hover over the ! icons.

cparker
2017-01-03, 09:55
That is correct. The default is that Smartfade is enabled. Tracks within the same album are not subject to crossfade. It is all perfectly clear in Settings / Player / Audio if you hover over the ! icons.

Thanks I had managed hovering and had the settings set, but they didn't work as expected. I did some further testing, from what I can tell the logic is a bit strange. For example if you are playing a playlist of 3x tracks. Track 1 will fade into Track 2, however if you are playing Track 3 and then add a Track 4, it doesn't then fade into Track 4.

So I'm guessing the logic builds a track fade "map" when a track is started. It doesn't just look at the playlist towards the end of the playing track to see whether it should fade into the next track. I guess there is some reason for that behaviour but hence the confusion.

Thanks for your help

DJanGo
2017-01-03, 10:14
I guess there is some reason for that behaviour but hence the confusion.

Thanks for your help

AFAIK the players need to "merge" the two audiotracks to one. That needs to be sorted before the next track ist on the way to the player.
IMHO the blend works when adding the next track while the actual is playing less than 1/3 or less than the overblendtime.

drmatt
2017-01-04, 00:36
Doesn't it do some analysis of the end/start of each track to see if they are suitable for crossfading too? Or did I dream that...?
By that I mean there's no point in crossfading tracks that end abruptly.

Mnyb
2017-01-04, 00:50
How does xfade handle different sample rates currently ?

cparker
2017-01-05, 16:08
I've written my own workaround for this now, just a basic volume down/volume up like when you were a kid and making mix tapes :) not overly elegant but does the trick for what I need.

Thanks for your help