PDA

View Full Version : SB3 crashes when playing music

jonstahl
2016-10-29, 13:26
My beloved SB3 suddenly crashes and reboots itself a few seconds after I start playing a song. Have tried:

- Factory reset
- Xilinx reset
- Server reboot + rescan

Boom and iPeng players on same server work fine.

Any other ideas? Or is it time to hit ebay for a new one / start building a rPi-based replacement?

kidstypike
2016-10-29, 13:36
My beloved SB3 suddenly crashes and reboots itself a few seconds after I start playing a song. Have tried:

- Factory reset
- Xilinx reset
- Server reboot + rescan

Boom and iPeng players on same server work fine.

Any other ideas? Or is it time to hit ebay for a new one / start building a rPi-based replacement?

Could be a dying PSU, both my Touch and SB3 went through a similar phase, a new PSU cured both.

jonstahl
2016-10-29, 13:43
Could be a dying PSU, both my Touch and SB3 went through a similar phase, a new PSU cured both.

Thanks, I hadn't considered that! Easy enough to try.

kidstypike
2016-10-29, 13:49
Thanks, I hadn't considered that! Easy enough to try.

Don't try the one that powers your Boom!

jonstahl
2016-10-29, 14:34
Don't try the one that powers your Boom!

Hah, read the spec and already figured out that would be a Bad Idea, but I appreciate the reminder!

Mnyb
2016-10-29, 22:51
SB3 can develop a lose power connector, wiggle it a little and SE if the SB3 reboots then too ?

DonaldS
2016-11-03, 12:55
I have the same symptoms on an SB3 that I decided to start using again. What are the recommendations for a new power supply?

kidstypike
2016-11-03, 13:06
I have the same symptoms on an SB3 that I decided to start using again. What are the recommendations for a new power supply?

Depends where you live, if you're in the UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Squeezebox-Classic-replacement-adaptor/dp/B0027CIZ38/ref=pd_sbs_107_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4CXJY4511EK6XSZMECEG

I have personally bought 2 of these, recommended.

Read the reviews.

DonaldS
2016-11-04, 06:56
Depends where you live, if you're in the UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Squeezebox-Classic-replacement-adaptor/dp/B0027CIZ38/ref=pd_sbs_107_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4CXJY4511EK6XSZMECEG

I have personally bought 2 of these, recommended.

Read the reviews.

I'm in Canada but I found some choices on Amazon.ca. Thank you!

jonstahl
2016-11-05, 15:46
New power supply did not work. :-(

Power connector is not loose. Reboots only happen when music is queued up.

jonstahl
2016-11-05, 18:46
Tried removing wireless card; the misbehavior continues unabated. <sad trombone>

Ordering parts for an rPi-based player. Thanks all!

epoch1970
2016-11-06, 09:49
Reboots only happen when music is queued up.
Are you using fancy audio options, like crossfade?
Any custom.conv filter that would send an incompatible audio stream to the SB3?

kezz
2016-11-06, 13:47
I really feel your pain man,

I just made the mistake of paying full price for a Squeezebox that was listed as "in good working order" only to have it crash the second it tries to play music, and what's worse is this is the second SB3 I've had that's just like -failed.

People say it's the capacitors, on the older one I've had I replaced all the caps just like they said on Logitech's old forums (which have all been deleted unfortunately) and the result was still the same. Any advice on where to start with this one before I try returning it? It's a white model, and I know those are super rare... I don't want to give it up- I just want it to WORK like my SB2 has...

Thanks-

kezz
2016-11-06, 15:46
Update: I did find this link to a cached copy of Logitech forum (https://web.archive.org/web/20160304131249/http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Squeezebox-and-Smart-Radio/Squeezebox-Classic-frequent-crash-and-restart/td-p/850154/page/6)s if you want to see how people were (apparently) fixing this error before, I could still use some advice when it comes to finding exactly what components failed though.

jonstahl
2016-11-06, 21:04
Update: I did find this link to a cached copy of Logitech forum (https://web.archive.org/web/20160304131249/http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Squeezebox-and-Smart-Radio/Squeezebox-Classic-frequent-crash-and-restart/td-p/850154/page/6)s if you want to see how people were (apparently) fixing this error before, I could still use some advice when it comes to finding exactly what components failed though.

Ah, very interesting, thanks for this lead! Replacing the capacitors is probably beyond my skills, but I will perhaps consult with my clever brother-in-law. Seems like the advice is to just replace all of the capacitors, rather than trying to diagnose the failed component.

kezz
2016-11-12, 10:38
So just to verify, if it were connected to an audio output-

for you does it play music for a little while and then...

EXTREMLEY LOUD HISSING NOISE

Then crash?

That might help get this diagnosed faster. I still have no idea what chips to remove / replace but I know for sure that it's something to do with the DAC.

tcutting
2016-11-12, 11:28
So just to verify, if it were connected to an audio output-

for you does it play music for a little while and then...

EXTREMLEY LOUD HISSING NOISE

Then crash?

That might help get this diagnosed faster. I still have no idea what chips to remove / replace but I know for sure that it's something to do with the DAC.

This sounds different than the OP's symptoms. What makes you think it's the DAC?
I would definitely try to perform the XILINX reset.

tcutting
2016-11-12, 11:31

I see you talk about replacing the capacitors, but most of the issues I've heard of related to the capacitors is that one (or both) of the analog output channels gets very quiet. The DC blocking capacitors for that particular channel fail, so replacing the capacitors can fix this. They wouldn't impact the digital outputs, nor would they cause the SB3 to crash.

kezz
2016-11-12, 22:02
As you'd expect I tried the usual things when I first received this SB3

ADD) Factory Reset
1) Reset XILINX

Setting up the factory test thing seemed a bit cumbersome so I've never tried it (and I'm starting to think the Sine wave test is fake because I've never been able to make it happen), this is my second SB3 - the first one was defective in a similar way.
[I think SB3's have a 100% failure rate based on what I've seen, unlike my SB2 which is running fine]

I was hopeful, just tried the XILINX reset once more... No luck, It can't make it through a single song without catastrophic failure.

This one seems to stay on (idling), it just can't play music without crashing (then rebooting) and making a horrendous amount of full volume white noise while doing so.
The first one I had might have been more similar to what OP was describing, I tried my best to replace all the caps as that guy described - I was a noob at solder rework so it didn't go amazingly, crazy enough after the whole process there was no difference.

I'm a bit better at it now, I need thinner tips for my soldering tweezers though - and I'd probably do it with solder paste this time just to have better luck evenly heating those tiny pads without ripping any datalines.

Or do you think this isn't a cap problem at all? I really don't know where to start with this thing, I have until the 17th to return it
(I probably should since I paid full functional price for it, the listing said it had no problems)

Thanks for the help by the way! ;)

kezz
2016-11-14, 20:44
Sorry for the haste with this one, (for the next few days I might be able to technically return it) this xilinx chip you speak of - is there a way to reset it via the hardware? As I said above I've tried resetting it by holding 1. The text "programming xilinx" appears for maybe 2 seconds and then the unit starts up normally but it still can't play music without crashing. I think that my reset maybe happens too quickly and thus nothing actually happens at all?

Is it a replaceable component itself? I know it's like, an FPGA or something programmable - I'm not sure how I'd get SlimDevice's instruction sets onto the thing...

Or am I going crazy and logic is going out the window? That's also possible :eek: