PDA

View Full Version : Classic FM HD Audio?

Owen Smith
2016-10-26, 04:57
My Classic FM iOS App updated today. It claims to support new HD audio. I can't find anything on their web site that says what this actually is. But anyway, is there a way to play this with LMS?

bpa
2016-10-26, 06:21
I'm sure there is but I need to register to play HD streams and it looks like it is a UK only service.

Owen Smith
2016-10-26, 10:43
Well I'm listening to Classic FM HD with the iPad app on my Air2, but I can't really say it sounds any better. But then I'm listening on the Air2's builtin speakers which sound pretty rubbish anyway.

Julf
2016-10-26, 10:50
Well I'm listening to Classic FM HD with the iPad app on my Air2, but I can't really say it sounds any better. But then I'm listening on the Air2's builtin speakers which sound pretty rubbish anyway.

Any idea what they actually mean by "HD"?

Owen Smith
2016-10-26, 10:57
Any idea what they actually mean by "HD"?

No. I can't find anything on the Classic FM website or elsewhere as to what they actually mean.

bpa
2016-10-26, 13:15
I suspect it is the same as BBC definition ( http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/radio/other/radio_hd_sound ) 320kbps AAC-LC probably using DASH or HLS as this is "easier" to broadcast.

ian_heys
2016-10-26, 23:47
Installed the App on my android phone this morning and started playing the Aled Jones programme.

Within a few minutes he mentioned that the App was live and that I could listen to the current tune in "Wide, Expansive HD Audio" but it doesn't show anywhere on the app.
I'm not normally an ear bud listener and find it difficult to compare and there's nowhere to show what the encoding is. So non the wiser.

Owen Smith
2016-10-27, 04:56
There's an HD on/off slider in the app on my iPad.

EDIT: when I slide it one way or the other, sound drops for a short time and then comes back as it switches to the other stream. HD also warns me to make sure I'm using wifi as there may be additional data charges.

utgg
2016-10-27, 07:27
... But anyway, is there a way to play this with LMS?

I had a quick look at captured network packets with the Android Classic FM App with HD turned on. I guess it is using shoutcast/icecast at 192kbps aac, as I see the following stuff around the start of what I assume is the playing stream:

Content-Type: audio/aac
icy-br:192
ice-audio-info: ice-samplerate=44100;ice-bitrate=192;ice-channels=2
icy-br:192
icy-description:Classic FM
icy-genre:Classical
icy-name:Classic FM
icy-private:0
icy-pub:1
icy-url:http://www.classicfm.com/classicfm
Server: Icecast 2.3.3-kh11

The uri used is very long with long 'listenerid', 'hdauth' and 'skey' strings in there, plus a playerid (ClassicAndroidAppV4). Not sure if it would be feasible to get the appropriate authorisation working in an LMS plugin.

Owen Smith
2019-05-01, 06:16
Did anyone get anywhere with LMS playing Classic FM HD? I have now found someone that claims to have worked out the magic urls, but they change with time. If I knew anything about writing perl and LMS plugins I'd look at it myself. Anyway his blog entry is below, but you have to ask for the url details he hasn't posted them.

http://jonathan.rawle.org/2016/11/06/classic-fm-hd-stream/