PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan awarded Nobel Prize in Literature

garym
2016-10-13, 04:32
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/arts/music/bob-dylan-nobel-prize-literature.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

SlimChances
2016-10-13, 05:02
never really thought of song writing as Literature but kudos to Bob

garym
2016-10-13, 12:57
never really thought of song writing as Literature but kudos to Bob

My (cool) junior high teacher allowed us to pick a song if we wanted to as our "discuss a poem" class assignment. Must have been 1968 or 1969. I chose to bring my Jimi Hendrix record "Electric Ladyland" and play "All along the watchtower" and then discuss the lyrics as poetry. I read decades later that Dylan always thought Jimi's version was the best.

SlimChances
2016-10-13, 15:30
My (cool) junior high teacher allowed us to pick a song if we wanted to as our "discuss a poem" class assignment. Must have been 1968 or 1969. I chose to bring my Jimi Hendrix record "Electric Ladyland" and play "All along the watchtower" and then discuss the lyrics as poetry. I read decades later that Dylan always thought Jimi's version was the best.

Best of 2 worlds Hendrix was a premier instrumentalist/singer and Dylan was a master a poetic lyricist