PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing dropouts



Phillip Kerman
2004-12-22, 09:11
> I have been trying to minimize or eliminate the dropouts in my home
> system with a Squeezebox.
>
> My setup looks like this:
>
> Server - Slim Server 5.4.1 running on a loafing Fedora Core 3
> Linux box
> (dual CPU 500MHz w/512MB RAM). The server is usually around
> 12% CPU.
> Perl is version 5.8.5.
>

I too REALLY want this to work. I'm confident that prior to 5.4.1 I had
fewer dropouts. The thing is I'm running wired mode.

Please advise how we can figure this out.

Thanks,
Phillip

Jack Coates
2004-12-22, 13:24
Phillip Kerman wrote:
>>I have been trying to minimize or eliminate the dropouts in my home
>>system with a Squeezebox.
>>
>>My setup looks like this:
>>
>>Server - Slim Server 5.4.1 running on a loafing Fedora Core 3
>>Linux box
>>(dual CPU 500MHz w/512MB RAM). The server is usually around
>>12% CPU.
>>Perl is version 5.8.5.
>>
>
>
> I too REALLY want this to work. I'm confident that prior to 5.4.1 I had
> fewer dropouts. The thing is I'm running wired mode.
>
> Please advise how we can figure this out.
>
> Thanks,
> Phillip
>

There are few troubleshooting levels to try... let's start with basic
system resource handling. When you're experiencing dropouts, run this
command and post the output:

vmstat 1 50

What you're looking for is heavy activity in the swap and io columns.

Another level of possible issues is network buffering, so this command
may be useful as well:

sudo tcpdump -i eth1 -n tcp port 3483

use the right interface for your network, of course. Here you're looking
for pauses in the flow. If you can identify places where a pause in the
traffic happens at the same time as big disruptions in vmstat, there's
your problem.

A third possibility is the slimserver stumbling over something, though
this is unlikely (it's more likely to flatout die than to hiccup).

tail -f /tmp/slimserver.log

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

Michael Amster
2004-12-22, 16:20
I will try to monitor all of these when I get home. I never experience
dropouts streaming to work at 128kbps. I will try to see if there are
any other factors like having a browser open and refreshing - I notice
that increases the CPU load, but I have not checked vmstat to see if the
output changes. The log in /tmp/slimserver.log is clean. I can check
the TCP as well. Thanks,

-MA

Jack Coates wrote:

> Phillip Kerman wrote:
>
>>> I have been trying to minimize or eliminate the dropouts in my home
>>> system with a Squeezebox.
>>>
>>> My setup looks like this:
>>>
>>> Server - Slim Server 5.4.1 running on a loafing Fedora Core 3 Linux
>>> box (dual CPU 500MHz w/512MB RAM). The server is usually around 12%
>>> CPU. Perl is version 5.8.5.
>>>
>>
>>
>> I too REALLY want this to work. I'm confident that prior to 5.4.1 I had
>> fewer dropouts. The thing is I'm running wired mode.
>>
>> Please advise how we can figure this out.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Phillip
>>
>
> There are few troubleshooting levels to try... let's start with basic
> system resource handling. When you're experiencing dropouts, run this
> command and post the output:
>
> vmstat 1 50
>
> What you're looking for is heavy activity in the swap and io columns.
>
> Another level of possible issues is network buffering, so this command
> may be useful as well:
>
> sudo tcpdump -i eth1 -n tcp port 3483
>
> use the right interface for your network, of course. Here you're
> looking for pauses in the flow. If you can identify places where a
> pause in the traffic happens at the same time as big disruptions in
> vmstat, there's your problem.
>
> A third possibility is the slimserver stumbling over something, though
> this is unlikely (it's more likely to flatout die than to hiccup).
>
> tail -f /tmp/slimserver.log
>

Jack Coates
2004-12-22, 16:31
Michael Amster wrote:
> I will try to monitor all of these when I get home. I never experience
> dropouts streaming to work at 128kbps. I will try to see if there are
> any other factors like having a browser open and refreshing - I notice
> that increases the CPU load, but I have not checked vmstat to see if the
> output changes. The log in /tmp/slimserver.log is clean. I can check
> the TCP as well. Thanks,
>
> -MA

Hm, that's interesting... I wonder if limiting your squeezebox to 128k
would change things (testing measure, not permanent suggestion). If
you're getting better performance from the Internet than your home wired
network, I'm suspicious of the Squeezebox firmware or some configuration
of your PC or network switch.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!