PDA

View Full Version : Best practice to extend life Controller battery?

firedog
2016-09-30, 11:05
Just looking for advice: leave controller on and in charging cradle?
I only use it one or twice a day.
or turn it off and leaving in charger?
Or let battery run down with use and recharge? Etc?

ideas? Facts?

Swiftie
2016-10-01, 00:27
My approach is to leave the controller in the charger at all times when not in use, and to wait until the battery life is getting low, then buy/fit a new battery.

The cost is less than buying a cheap coffee in Starbucks about once every 6 months... and that's assuming a battery lifetime of 2 years. Mine usually last more than 5 years.

Of course, my gameplan falls down when there are no more batteries in stock. Perhaps I should stock up with enough to last me the rest of my life? At my age, that's not too expensive, about 65 cups of coffee.

garym
2016-10-02, 07:42
My approach is to leave the controller in the charger at all times when not in use, and to wait until the battery life is getting low, then buy/fit a new battery.

The cost is less than buying a cheap coffee in Starbucks about once every 6 months... and that's assuming a battery lifetime of 2 years. Mine usually last more than 5 years.

Of course, my gameplan falls down when there are no more batteries in stock. Perhaps I should stock up with enough to last me the rest of my life? At my age, that's not too expensive, about 65 cups of coffee.

I have two controllers in use. One for about 7 years and one for 5 years. Never replaced either battery. And like swiftie, when not directly using, they are sitting in charging cradle.

w3wilkes
2016-10-02, 08:26
I'm much the same as GaryM. 2 controllers, 1 is 7 years old the other is 6. When not in use they sit in the charging cradle showing analog clock when idle or what's playing when something is playing on the player currently paired to. Never replaced either battery. Generally a controller is only out of the cradle long enough for the wife to make or change the music selection.

garym
2016-10-02, 08:32
I'm much the same as GaryM. 2 controllers, 1 is 7 years old the other is 6. When not in use they sit in the charging cradle showing analog clock when idle or what's playing when something is playing on the player currently paired to. Never replaced either battery. Generally a controller is only out of the cradle long enough for the wife to make or change the music selection.

and I have a 3rd new-in-box controller in a drawer. I don't use them a lot but this is the only way my wife interacts with the system (mostly choosing internet radio stations or episodes of podcasts).

tcutting
2016-10-03, 08:55

I seem to recall there is also a screen wear-out issue (maybe the screen back-light?), so my controller screen turns off when idle and in the cradle (99% of the time).

slartibartfast
2016-10-05, 00:25
I seem to recall there is also a screen wear-out issue (maybe the screen back-light?), so my controller screen turns off when idle and in the cradle (99% of the time).
I have mine set the same way but I frequently notice that the controller back light has turned itself on and the only way to turn it off is to remove it from the cradle and replace it, the back light then turns off after a delay.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk