PDA

View Full Version : Podcast plays via mysqueezebox.com but not via LMS server

garym
2016-09-24, 15:46
I'd like some help diagnosing a weird problem playing a podcast. The podcast (Diane Rehm Show) URL is:
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=510071

This used to work playing via LMS, but quit working a few months ago. I can choose episodes, the episode name and date shows up in LMS, and trys to play for about 15 seconds (no audio, just time movement) and then after about 15 seconds it reverts to "0" time playing. It shows as being a CBR mp3 file.

And I use the URL above in mysqueezebox.com settings under myapps podcasts, also in the podcast app, and also in a link to podcasts.opml I maintain on dropbox. All the same URL and same outcome.

WEIRD ISSUE:

If I move my TRANSPORTER to connect directly to mysqueezebox.com rather than my local LMS 7.8 (running on a vortexbox server), and open the same podcast, it plays the audio correctly. I'm trying to figure out why the podcast will play via mysqueezebox.com but not from the same URL in LMS.

Any thoughts? Can anyone get the above URL to play if they add it to their LMS podcast listing? Thanks in advance.

p.s. I play lots of other podcasts from npr.org and don't have this problem.

knasper
2016-09-25, 07:04
Hi
I added the URL to LMS 7.9, the podcasts shows up, and i can play them without any issues.

rgds knasper

garym
2016-09-25, 07:10
Hi
I added the URL to LMS 7.9, the podcasts shows up, and i can play them without any issues.

rgds knasper

Thanks for checking. must be something odd with my vortexbox server (fedora linux). I'll soon be updating it to a newer version, so will see what happens after that.

garym
2016-09-25, 07:20
Thanks for checking. must be something odd with my vortexbox server (fedora linux). I'll soon be updating it to a newer version, so will see what happens after that.

update. Hmmm, not my server either. I just checked to see if I could play the podcast via a Squeezebox Touch in a different room and that worked fine. So its something about my Transporter that doesn't like the podcast streaming files.

garym
2016-09-25, 07:36
update. Hmmm, not my server either. I just checked to see if I could play the podcast via a Squeezebox Touch in a different room and that worked fine. So its something about my Transporter that doesn't like the podcast streaming files.

The plot thickens:

I had the Transporter synched to a SB RADIO in another room. If I unsync the two, the Transporter plays the podcast OK. And without being synched the RADIO plays the podcast OK. But if the two are synched then podcast won't play. If I turn OFF the radio (while synched) then start the podcast on the transporter, it plays OK *and* if I then power on the RADIO, the RADIO synchs with the Transporter and the podcast continues to play just fine to both players. Odd! So it fails on starting the stream...if it is already playing and the synched radio comes on and joins the group, then it continues playing OK.

The log error when two players are synched and podcast won't play is the following:

[16-09-25 10:30:10.3151] Slim::Player::Song::Open (471) Warning: stream failed to open [http://downloads.wamu.org/mp3/dr/16/09/r2160922.mp3?listeningSessionID=57607821599c96c2_8 852542_Dn9cqcBD__0000000aOWX].

Man in a van
2016-09-25, 07:40
Also working here, LMS on O2 Joggler.

atb

Ronnie

garym
2016-09-25, 07:44
Thanks. Yep, something odd on my end. And as I figured out a few minutes ago, it all relates to the Transporter being synched with the Radio that causes opening the stream to fail.

garym
2016-09-25, 07:57
more info:

I've tried increasing the radio station buffer and radio station timeout in LMS/Settings and this made no difference.
I also tried increasing the synchronized players startup delay. No difference.

Still get same error when Transporter and Radio are synched and I try to start podcast.

Another TEST:

Boom and Radio synched ..... won't play
Radio and Touch synched.....won't play. (so it's not the "old hardware" like a transporter or boom being in the chain that causes stream failure....any two players synched causes failure, even though any of these players play the stream just fine if not synched).

(and note, I don't have this issue with synched players with other internet radio, local music, podcasts, etc.).

garym
2016-09-25, 08:14
REQUEST: Can anyone test this on their system (that is, synch two players first then try to play podcast)

More testing and summary:

Tried everything connected to LMS 7.9 running on a different server (Windows 8.1 machine). I get same exact error (error starting stream), but ONLY when any two players are synched. Unsynched players can play the podcast OK.

Summary:

1. Same error whether server is 7.8 on linux or 7.9 on windows.
2. same error regardless of which two players are synched (transporter, radio, boom, touch)
3. If start stream on single player then turn on a synched player, stream continues to play ok once synched player joins the group.
4. If connect to mysqueezebox.com and play from there, all plays OK, even if the players are synched.

knasper
2016-09-25, 11:06
REQUEST: Can anyone test this on their system (that is, synch two players first then try to play podcast)

More testing and summary:

Tried everything connected to LMS 7.9 running on a different server (Windows 8.1 machine). I get same exact error (error starting stream), but ONLY when any two players are synched. Unsynched players can play the podcast OK.

Summary:

1. Same error whether server is 7.8 on linux or 7.9 on windows.
2. same error regardless of which two players are synched (transporter, radio, boom, touch)
3. If start stream on single player then turn on a synched player, stream continues to play ok once synched player joins the group.
4. If connect to mysqueezebox.com and play from there, all plays OK, even if the players are synched.

I've tried, and it behaves in exactly the same way here. No matter whether it's Boom, Radio, Duet or Touch that is syncroniseret. Other podcasts play as they should. ???
LMS 7.9.0 - 1474277583 @ Tue September 20 04:37:35 UTC 2016 running on Debian 8

regds knasper

garym
2016-09-25, 11:13
I've tried, and it behaves in exactly the same way here. No matter whether it's Boom, Radio, Duet or Touch that is syncroniseret. Other podcasts play as they should. ???
LMS 7.9.0 - 1474277583 @ Tue September 20 04:37:35 UTC 2016 running on Debian 8

regds knasper

Thanks knasper! So you're getting exactly same outcome I am. If synched, simply won't play. But only this podcast. Weird!

Man in a van
2016-09-25, 13:11
Same here,

synced a boom to SBRadio,

both played Radio Paradise, tried the Dianne Rehm show, neither played.

Tried another NPR podcast and both played, tried DR show again and just caught a message on the Joggle screen saying "Unable to connect to server".

Not much help, but your not crazy:D:p

atb

Ronnie

bpa
2016-09-25, 13:16
The URL plays OK on my LInux system using VLC but mplayer cannot play it - it shows odd errors.

Have you tried enabling "proxied streaming" (WebUI Settings/Player/Audio) for the player. The problem seems to be when the stream is played directly by the player - it is OK but when LMS has to handle the stream (I.e. when syncing players) there are problems. If that is the case for players which it currentlyplays OK , if you enable "Proixed streaming" if LMS is the problem then the steam will not play.

edit:

Interesting the problem URL seem to be a 44.1Khz 1ch floatle stream ( normal streams are 2ch fixed) - this is unusual and must be cause problems somewhere.

garym
2016-09-25, 14:57
Not much help, but your not crazy:D:p

thanks. keeps me from working on stuff related to my system when in fact it is something happening outside my control!

@bpa Thanks for checking in on the stream. Seems odd to me that it shows in LMS as 192kbps mp3 stream (who streams news/talk as 192kbps mp3????). Your prediction is correct. On a single (non synched) player that will play the stream, if I change LMS to use proxied streaming for that player, the stream will no longer play. (and of course "proxied streaming" is used by default when two or more players are synched.).

garym
2016-09-25, 14:59
Interesting the problem URL seem to be a 44.1Khz 1ch floatle stream ( normal streams are 2ch fixed) - this is unusual and must be cause problems somewhere.

That's likely the source of the problem I'd guess. I'll try to contact the program and ask them to look into the format of their mp3 files. They probably have no clue that they are not standard.