PDA

View Full Version : Forums beta!



Dan Sully
2004-12-21, 13:25
We've got a beta of the forums up at: http://forums.slimdevices.com/

Right now it's read-only, and mirrors what you see on these mail lists.

Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.

We'll have post capability in short-order.

Thanks.

-D
--
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people "maintaining a free civil government.
This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always
avail themselves for their own purposes." --Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, 1813.

Jack Coates
2004-12-21, 13:48
Dan Sully wrote:
> We've got a beta of the forums up at: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
>
> Right now it's read-only, and mirrors what you see on these mail lists.
>
> Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>
> We'll have post capability in short-order.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -D

could you maybe move the building a little to the left? And hand me that
grand piano :)

nice looking stuff, congratulations!
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

Ben Klaas
2004-12-21, 13:54
Will it continue to be an email list mirror, or is the intention for it
to be web-only?

Either way, incredible (and quick) work. I'm very impressed, and it
looks already like a very usable interface. Is this a third-party open
source product, or did you build it from scratch?

One suggestion straight off is to get some code in there to parse
http://.*? and translate into hyperlinks.

#!/ben

Dan Sully wrote:

> We've got a beta of the forums up at: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
>
> Right now it's read-only, and mirrors what you see on these mail lists.
>
> Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>
> We'll have post capability in short-order.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -D

Joe Craig
2004-12-21, 14:03
What software is being used here? (I'm interested for something
totally unrelated)

> We've got a beta of the forums up at: http://forums.slimdevices.com/


--


Joe

JJ
2004-12-21, 14:30
Not bad, but how do you post to the forums?


----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Sully" <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Cc: "Slim Devices Developers" <developers (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 1:25 PM
Subject: [slim] Forums beta!


> We've got a beta of the forums up at: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
>
> Right now it's read-only, and mirrors what you see on these mail lists.
>
> Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>
> We'll have post capability in short-order.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -D
> --
> "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people
> "maintaining a free civil government.
> This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as
> religious leaders will always
> avail themselves for their own purposes." --Thomas Jefferson to
> Alexander von Humboldt, 1813.
>

JJ
2004-12-21, 14:44
Please disregard the brain-fart. I obviously didn't read the entire
message before checking out the forums and replying.


----- Original Message -----
From: "JJ" <jj (AT) zolx (DOT) com>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 2:30 PM
Subject: [slim] Forums beta!


> Not bad, but how do you post to the forums?
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dan Sully" <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>
> To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Cc: "Slim Devices Developers" <developers (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 1:25 PM
> Subject: [slim] Forums beta!
>
>
>> We've got a beta of the forums up at: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
>>
>> Right now it's read-only, and mirrors what you see on these mail lists.
>>
>> Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>>
>> We'll have post capability in short-order.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -D
>> --
>> "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people
>> "maintaining a free civil government.
>> This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well
>> as religious leaders will always
>> avail themselves for their own purposes." --Thomas Jefferson to
>> Alexander von Humboldt, 1813.
>>

kdf
2004-12-21, 14:52
Quoting JJ <jj (AT) zolx (DOT) com>:

> Not bad, but how do you post to the forums?

Please allow me to point your attention to the post to which you replied:
"Right now it's read-only, and mirrors what you see on these mail lists."

As such, you cannot post..for now.

-kdf


---- Original Message -----
> From: "Dan Sully" <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>
> To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Cc: "Slim Devices Developers" <developers (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 1:25 PM
> Subject: [slim] Forums beta!
>
>
> > We've got a beta of the forums up at: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
> >
> > Right now it's read-only, and mirrors what you see on these mail lists.
> >
> > Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
> >
> > We'll have post capability in short-order.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -D
> > --
> > "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people
> > "maintaining a free civil government.
> > This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as
> > religious leaders will always
> > avail themselves for their own purposes." --Thomas Jefferson to
> > Alexander von Humboldt, 1813.
> >

kdf
2004-12-21, 14:53
Quoting JJ <jj (AT) zolx (DOT) com>:

> Please disregard the brain-fart. I obviously didn't read the entire
> message before checking out the forums and replying.
:)
good question tho...and you probably wont be the last person to ask ;)

Vince LaMonica
2004-12-21, 14:59
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Ben Klaas wrote:

} Either way, incredible (and quick) work. I'm very impressed, and it
} looks already like a very usable interface. Is this a third-party open
} source product, or did you build it from scratch?

It appears to be gforum, an addon to a custom
gossamer-threads.com-produced mail to forum gateway.

Eg: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi

The above URL has the same look/feel as the new Slimdevices forum.

/vjl/ [who's very happy that the list will stay as is, and the w3-based
forums will simply be a mirror/gui for/to the list]

kdf
2004-12-21, 15:00
Quoting Ben Klaas <bklaas (AT) occamnetworks (DOT) com>:

> Will it continue to be an email list mirror, or is the intention for it
> to be web-only?

If I read correctly before the whole thread degenerated into a religious debate
more fevered than the spanish inquisition...(I know, no one expected it)

it is intended to be forum access for those who need forum access, but it still
basically the email lists as they currently exist. I'm fairly certain Slim
Devices doesn't want to cripple the ability of certain high volume posters who
dont have the ability/desire to use a forum or to fire up the debate yet again
over which is better. I hope that this combined solution can be accepted and we
can all move this back to supporting users with questions and ideas.

>
> Either way, incredible (and quick) work. I'm very impressed, and it
> looks already like a very usable interface. Is this a third-party open
> source product, or did you build it from scratch?

if I read correctly, Dean said it would be based on Gossamer.

-kdf

John L Fjellstad
2004-12-21, 15:16
On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 01:14:09PM -0800, Ralph Edington wrote:

> I notice that when using the Firefox browser, the text doesn't wrap
> as nicely on some messages as when using IE -- unfortunately. See e.g.
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/gforum.cgi?post=28325;search_string=soundworks;gue st=50#28325 from within Firefox. I'm sure it's an issue with Firefox and
> not your forum.

It's an issue with the forum. If you look further up, there is a line
without space (because of a URL). This line will expand the whole page
horizontally. A solution is to do what Slashdot is doing and insert
arbitrary spaces in long words, or another solution is to automatically
convert URL to URL links (with only the domain part showing).

How does IE know where to break up a long word?

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkHIoMkACgkQkz0vhQtHHRglsgCggJsPoR3Isx tT7C53eZclhaZF
+G4An3J2zQLlf9Wft4stjLe3xAAFpBfu
=HHhG
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Jack Coates
2004-12-21, 15:27
kdf wrote:
> Quoting Ben Klaas <bklaas (AT) occamnetworks (DOT) com>:
>
>
>>Will it continue to be an email list mirror, or is the intention for it
>>to be web-only?
>
>
> If I read correctly before the whole thread degenerated into a religious debate
> more fevered than the spanish inquisition...(I know, no one expected it)
>

put her in the comfy chair!

> it is intended to be forum access for those who need forum access, but it still
> basically the email lists as they currently exist. I'm fairly certain Slim
> Devices doesn't want to cripple the ability of certain high volume posters who
> dont have the ability/desire to use a forum or to fire up the debate yet again
> over which is better. I hope that this combined solution can be accepted and we
> can all move this back to supporting users with questions and ideas.
>
>

I think I misread, surely you mean "move this back to arguing about
audiophile gear."

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

Jack Coates
2004-12-21, 15:29
John L Fjellstad wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 01:14:09PM -0800, Ralph Edington wrote:
>
>
>>I notice that when using the Firefox browser, the text doesn't wrap
>>as nicely on some messages as when using IE -- unfortunately. See e.g.
>>http://forums.slimdevices.com/gforum.cgi?post=28325;search_string=soundworks;gue st=50#28325 from within Firefox. I'm sure it's an issue with Firefox and
>>not your forum.
>
>
> It's an issue with the forum. If you look further up, there is a line
> without space (because of a URL). This line will expand the whole page
> horizontally. A solution is to do what Slashdot is doing and insert
> arbitrary spaces in long words, or another solution is to automatically
> convert URL to URL links (with only the domain part showing).
>
> How does IE know where to break up a long word?
>

it breaks at questions marks or hyphens:

kloss model 1 or 2 from tivoli:
http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=170&cat=&page=
panasonic mini-amp and speakers:
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=61275&catGroupId=11154&modelNo=SC-HDX2&surfModel=SC-HDX2


>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>

Philip Meyer
2004-12-21, 16:28
>Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>
Just had a quick look, comparing it to my threaded email client.

I think the "View Threaded" option isn't actually threading correctly. If I look in my email client for example at this thread, I see that Ben Klass commented to the root message, then kdf commented on Bens reply, then Jack Coats commented to that. There are several such threads of chat that I can clearly see in my email client, but the "View Threaded" display is still complete flat (all posts indented one level from the root message).

I have seen some resemblence of a threaded view for other topics, so I guess the threading just doesn't quite work all the time.

Also, my email client is displaying 18 replies, whilst the forum displays 16 replies to this topic. I guess there's simply some lag. It's hard to see what posts are missing because the visible posts are not in the same order.

Also, the reply from Jack Coates (sorry I'm not picking on you for any particular reason Jack!), http://forums.slimdevices.com/gforum.cgi?post=28359#28359, appears truncated in the forum view. The actual email reply contained something more than just a quote from the post he was replying to. Seems to have been truncated at an underscore character. Not sure if that is a significant character - here's another _ as a test...

Clicking on any of the links at the top of the page navigates back to www.slimdevices.com, and there's no link to get back to the forum. I assume this is because the facility is still beta and hidden from the masses?

In the forum postings list, the user name is displayed. When clicking on a post and selecting "View Threaded", the user is only displayed as an email address, with an email icon next to it. Could this not display the user name, and when hovering over or clicking on the name or icon, display the email address to be consistent? Also, I'm not sure we want email addresses to appear, as that can cause an increase in spam in our mail boxes. Most forums allow a users email address to be kept private.

The timestamps on the messages are in the forum servers local timezone (-8 hours from GMT, I think). Seeing that slim customers are international, would it be more appropriate to display the date/time column as GMT, and when clicking to display a post, that displays the local time and timezone. For example my email client displays times as "21/12/2004 20:25" in list view, and when clicking on a post "Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:25:19 -0800".

Phil

Philip Meyer
2004-12-21, 16:36
>Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>
Any chance of providing a threaded view of the search results? Searching for example "TosLink" provided 91 results, but several are part of the same topic, so it would be nicer to group them into their respective topics. It makes locating the relevent post a lot quicker.

Phil

Philip Meyer
2004-12-21, 17:17
>Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>
It appears that emails are taking longer to filter through to the mailing list now. I submitted a post a couple of hours ago, and haven't seen it appear in the mailing list yet, but having searched the forum, the post is there. Other posts since then have been received from the list.

Is there any reason why adding the forum would make emails less reliable/slow? Perhaps my posts are being moderated ;)

Phil

Dan Sully
2004-12-21, 18:02
* Philip Meyer <slim (AT) hergest (DOT) demon.co.uk> shaped the electrons to say...

>>Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>>
> Any chance of providing a threaded view of the search results? Searching
> for example "TosLink" provided 91 results, but several are part of the same
> topic, so it would be nicer to group them into their respective topics. It
> makes locating the relevent post a lot quicker.

Unfortunately no. I may be able to get it to collate the posts. But not threaded.

-D
--
<noah> the auto mechanic told me there was something wrong with my rear differential.
I told him I never took calculus.

Dan Sully
2004-12-21, 18:03
* Philip Meyer <slim (AT) hergest (DOT) demon.co.uk> shaped the electrons to say...

>>Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>>
> It appears that emails are taking longer to filter through to the mailing
> list now. I submitted a post a couple of hours ago, and haven't seen it
> appear in the mailing list yet, but having searched the forum, the post is
> there. Other posts since then have been received from the list.
>
> Is there any reason why adding the forum would make emails less
> reliable/slow? Perhaps my posts are being moderated ;)

There might be a problem, I'll take a look.

No reason that the forums would make the emails less reliable/slow.

-D
--
<noah> the auto mechanic told me there was something wrong with my rear differential.
I told him I never took calculus.

Dan Sully
2004-12-21, 23:55
* Philip Meyer <slim (AT) hergest (DOT) demon.co.uk> shaped the electrons to say...

> I think the "View Threaded" option isn't actually threading correctly. If
> I look in my email client for example at this thread, I see that Ben Klass
> commented to the root message, then kdf commented on Bens reply, then Jack
> Coats commented to that. There are several such threads of chat that I can
> clearly see in my email client, but the "View Threaded" display is still
> complete flat (all posts indented one level from the root message).
>
> I have seen some resemblence of a threaded view for other topics, so I
> guess the threading just doesn't quite work all the time.

I belive this happens when the References: header is lost, or perhaps the
subject is changed. I've not dived too deep into how Gossamer is doing their
threading logic.

> Also, my email client is displaying 18 replies, whilst the forum displays
> 16 replies to this topic. I guess there's simply some lag. It's hard to
> see what posts are missing because the visible posts are not in the same
> order.

Yep - a little bit of lag. That should clear up once I move lists onto a new machine.

> Also, the reply from Jack Coates (sorry I'm not picking on you for any
> particular reason Jack!),
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/gforum.cgi?post=28359#28359, appears
> truncated in the forum view. The actual email reply contained something
> more than just a quote from the post he was replying to. Seems to have
> been truncated at an underscore character. Not sure if that is a
> significant character - here's another _ as a test...

This should be fixed now.

> Clicking on any of the links at the top of the page navigates back to
> www.slimdevices.com, and there's no link to get back to the forum. I
> assume this is because the facility is still beta and hidden from the
> masses?

Yes, that's correct.

> In the forum postings list, the user name is displayed. When clicking on
> a post and selecting "View Threaded", the user is only displayed as an
> email address, with an email icon next to it. Could this not display the
> user name, and when hovering over or clicking on the name or icon, display
> the email address to be consistent? Also, I'm not sure we want email
> addresses to appear, as that can cause an increase in spam in our mail
> boxes. Most forums allow a users email address to be kept private.

Thanks - I thought I got all of those. We certianly don't want any email
addresses exposed either.

> The timestamps on the messages are in the forum servers local timezone (-8
> hours from GMT, I think). Seeing that slim customers are international,
> would it be more appropriate to display the date/time column as GMT, and
> when clicking to display a post, that displays the local time and timezone.
> For example my email client displays times as "21/12/2004 20:25" in list
> view, and when clicking on a post "Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:25:19 -0800".

I'll take that into consideration.

Thanks for your feedback, Philip!

-D
--
They're techno trousers, ex-NASA, fantastic for walkies!

Dan Sully
2004-12-22, 00:04
* Ben Klaas <bklaas (AT) occamnetworks (DOT) com> shaped the electrons to say...

>Will it continue to be an email list mirror, or is the intention for it to be web-only?

It will continue to be a list mirror, with the intention to use it as an
interface to the list. So that the forum people can use that, and the email
people can use email.

>Either way, incredible (and quick) work. I'm very impressed, and it
>looks already like a very usable interface. Is this a third-party open
>source product, or did you build it from scratch?

It's Gossamer Threads.

>One suggestion straight off is to get some code in there to parse
>http://.*? and translate into hyperlinks.

Thanks - I'll see how easy that is.

-D
--
You know, for kids.

Philip Meyer
2004-12-22, 02:29
>> I have seen some resemblence of a threaded view for other topics, so I
>> guess the threading just doesn't quite work all the time.
>
>I belive this happens when the References: header is lost, or perhaps the
>subject is changed. I've not dived too deep into how Gossamer is doing their
>threading logic.
>
I can see some differences in the subjects for messages in this thread. Most are "Re: [slim] Forums beta!".
Posts from you are "[slim] Forums beta!". Some have capitalised "RE:". There was one entry from Kevin Walsh that was "RE: [Developers] Forums beta!" (I assume Kevin read the developers post, but replied to discuss@).

I would have thought that if Gossamer does their "threading" using subject, this post would have been displayed as split posts.

All messages are threaded correctly by my email client, even Kevin Walsh's reply from the developers post (because the original message had the same Message-ID - ie. the original was posted to two addresses, rather than being two separate emails).

Looking at the posts via email, all appear to have the correct "Message-ID", "In-Reply-To" and "References" headers. The headers are not visible in the forum. My guess is that Gossamer only looks at the first entry in the "References" header.

Phil

Philip Meyer
2004-12-22, 02:34
Also, if you go to http://forums.slimdevices.com/gforum.cgi?post=28354#28354, this post was in reply to a reply from Ben Klass.

However, if you click the [In reply to] link, it takes you to the root post, not Ben Klass's reply.

Overall, I think this is a better interface than gmane, and I can see it being useful for new users to search, but thank god the email list still works!

Phil

Manu
2004-12-22, 05:43
It's working wonderfully well... I do have one gripe though:
attachments seem to be gone...
E.g.: http://forums.slimdevices.com/gforum.cgi?post=4893#4893 should
have an attachment, if I'm not mistaken...

Thanks for the effort, Dan!
--manu.

On 21 Dec 2004, at 21:25, Dan Sully wrote:

> We've got a beta of the forums up at: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
>
> Right now it's read-only, and mirrors what you see on these mail lists.
>
> Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>
> We'll have post capability in short-order.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -D

Dan Sully
2004-12-22, 13:41
* Dan Sully <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> shaped the electrons to say...

>>Is there any reason why adding the forum would make emails less
>>reliable/slow? Perhaps my posts are being moderated ;)
>
>There might be a problem, I'll take a look.
>
>No reason that the forums would make the emails less reliable/slow.

FYI - the mail lists (and forums) are all running on a new machine now, with
a faster MTA. So delays should be pretty much non-existant now.

-D
--
<dr.pie> 31336.5: the neighbor of the l33t

Dan Sully
2004-12-23, 00:12
* Manu <slim (AT) nerdhero (DOT) org> shaped the electrons to say...

>It's working wonderfully well... I do have one gripe though:
>attachments seem to be gone...
>E.g.: http://forums.slimdevices.com/gforum.cgi?post=4893#4893 should
>have an attachment, if I'm not mistaken...
>
>Thanks for the effort, Dan!

The lack of attachments has been fixed.

-D
--
On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

Dan Sully
2004-12-23, 00:15
* Philip Meyer <slim (AT) hergest (DOT) demon.co.uk> shaped the electrons to say...

> I would have thought that if Gossamer does their "threading" using subject,
> this post would have been displayed as split posts.
>
> All messages are threaded correctly by my email client, even Kevin Walsh's
> reply from the developers post (because the original message had the same
> Message-ID - ie. the original was posted to two addresses, rather than
> being two separate emails).

Phil - the threading should be (more) correct now.

-D
--
On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

Dan Sully
2004-12-23, 00:17
* Dan Sully <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> shaped the electrons to say...

>>One suggestion straight off is to get some code in there to parse
>>http://.*? and translate into hyperlinks.

The forums should auto-link http:// urls now.

-D
--
On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

Philip Meyer
2004-12-23, 02:22
>Also, if you go to http://forums.slimdevices.com/gforum.cgi?post=28354#28354, this post was in reply to a reply from Ben Klass.
>
Strange. When I was composing my previous post, I'm sure I copied that link from the forum and clicked it to check that it returned me back to the correct posting in the forum.

A few days later, and I wanted to return to it to check the threading (which is much better now - thankyou). I clicked the link above, and it took me to a completely unrelated message (which I had not previously visited in the forum).

Is there any reason why the post id's would have changed? Is there some problem?

Phil

Philip Meyer
2004-12-23, 02:30
>Phil - the threading should be (more) correct now.
>
Indeed it is! Much better.

Suggestion: is there a way that a user could select a default view format of either flat or threaded? I much prefer the threaded view. Perhaps store the users last chosen view format in a cookie?

Presentation issues:

1. The pages are quite wide. It would be nice if the quick search could be moved to the top or bottom of the page, to make the posts fit nicely in a thinner browser window. There is quite a bit of whitespace that could be taken out also (eg. right-hand side of the first column containing the user name, datestamp).

The list of page numbers between first, previous, next, last and the "view all" links along the top of the postings list were being displayed in a dark blue on the dark grey background, making it quite hard to read. Also, I pressed "view all", and haven't seen any links appear up there ever again! Perhaps there should be an option to return to "view in pages" mode?

Phil

Manu
2004-12-23, 03:23
On 23 Dec 2004, at 08:12, Dan Sully wrote:

> * Manu <slim (AT) nerdhero (DOT) org> shaped the electrons to say...
>
>> It's working wonderfully well... I do have one gripe though:
>> attachments seem to be gone...
>> E.g.: http://forums.slimdevices.com/gforum.cgi?post=4893#4893 should
>> have an attachment, if I'm not mistaken...
>>
>> Thanks for the effort, Dan!
>
> The lack of attachments has been fixed.
>
> -D

Indeed it is. Thanks for all those quick fixes! Threading is indeed
much better as well...

Another thingy I noted: if you click on a user name, and then "show
user's posts", it gives the email address of the poster. I'm sure this
should be obfuscated or hidden?

--manu.

Manu
2004-12-23, 03:31
Actually, I have the same concern with your mail client's quoting (see
all your replies containing the email addresses of the sender) ;)

Is there the possibility to filter out all email addresses in posts as
well, and 'obfuscate' them somehow such that email spiders miss them ?
(e.g. changing @ to [at] or (a) or whatever, as I did now below on my
'quoted' email address?)

--manu.

On 23 Dec 2004, at 11:23, Manu wrote:

>
> On 23 Dec 2004, at 08:12, Dan Sully wrote:
>
>> * Manu <slim at nerdhero org> shaped the electrons to say...
>>
>>> It's working wonderfully well... I do have one gripe though:
>>> attachments seem to be gone...
>>> E.g.: http://forums.slimdevices.com/gforum.cgi?post=4893#4893 should
>>> have an attachment, if I'm not mistaken...
>>>
>>> Thanks for the effort, Dan!
>>
>> The lack of attachments has been fixed.
>>
>> -D
>
> Indeed it is. Thanks for all those quick fixes! Threading is indeed
> much better as well...
>
> Another thingy I noted: if you click on a user name, and then "show
> user's posts", it gives the email address of the poster. I'm sure this
> should be obfuscated or hidden?
>
> --manu.

dbls
2004-12-23, 07:38
Very nice; no longer a need to keep messages in OE, just go to
the forum to search!

A couple of things I've noticed...

1) When threads are expanded, the ones with heavy participation
tend to have wrapped subject lines, which reduces readability;
don't know what can be done about it, since some messages are
so deep that the subject _begins_ on the second line (e.g. "Web
forum (again)").

2) When the forum first appeared, there were three levels of
expansion: expand a thread one level, fully expand one thread,
and expand all threads. Now only the last one is available.
I for one would find more selective expansion useful.

All in all, great work (yet again!). -:- dbls

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Sully" <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Cc: "Slim Devices Developers" <developers (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 3:25 PM
Subject: [slim] Forums beta!


> We've got a beta of the forums up at: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
>
> Right now it's read-only, and mirrors what you see on these mail lists.
>
> Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>
> We'll have post capability in short-order.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -D
> --
> "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people "maintaining a free civil government.
> This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always
> avail themselves for their own purposes." --Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, 1813.
>

Dan Sully
2004-12-23, 10:42
* Philip Meyer <slim (AT) hergest (DOT) demon.co.uk> shaped the electrons to say...

>>Also, if you go to http://forums.slimdevices.com/gforum.cgi?post=28354#28354, this post was in reply to a reply from Ben Klass.
>>
> Strange. When I was composing my previous post, I'm sure I copied that
> link from the forum and clicked it to check that it returned me back to the
> correct posting in the forum.
>
> A few days later, and I wanted to return to it to check the threading
> (which is much better now - thankyou). I clicked the link above, and it
> took me to a completely unrelated message (which I had not previously
> visited in the forum).
>
> Is there any reason why the post id's would have changed? Is there some
> problem?

Yes - I reloaded all the messages, and reset the counter id's.

This is a beta after all. :)

-D
--
There was supposed to be a big kaboom.

dbls
2004-12-23, 12:52
I see that the threads are individually expandable again.
Thanks!

A couple of other quirks:

1. If I click on a message in an expanded thread on the main
page, I get a page which includes that message, plus several
others; are these the nearest ones by date/time?

2. On the main page, the threading is a little off; my
previous message (#28482) was in reply to Dan's original post,
but it shows up under one from Cameron Davidson (#24968).
However, if I click on the message and then select "View
Threaded", the threading on that page looks correct.

-:- dbls

----- Original Message -----
From: "dbls" <dbls (AT) comcast (DOT) net>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: [slim] Forums beta!


> Very nice; no longer a need to keep messages in OE, just go to
> the forum to search!
>
> A couple of things I've noticed...
>
> 1) When threads are expanded, the ones with heavy participation
> tend to have wrapped subject lines, which reduces readability;
> don't know what can be done about it, since some messages are
> so deep that the subject _begins_ on the second line (e.g. "Web
> forum (again)").
>
> 2) When the forum first appeared, there were three levels of
> expansion: expand a thread one level, fully expand one thread,
> and expand all threads. Now only the last one is available.
> I for one would find more selective expansion useful.
>
> All in all, great work (yet again!). -:- dbls
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dan Sully" <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>
> To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Cc: "Slim Devices Developers" <developers (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 3:25 PM
> Subject: [slim] Forums beta!
>
>
>> We've got a beta of the forums up at: http://forums.slimdevices.com/
>>
>> Right now it's read-only, and mirrors what you see on these mail lists.
>>
>> Please try and break it, or send suggestions to myself or Dean.
>>
>> We'll have post capability in short-order.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -D
>> --
>> "History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people "maintaining a free civil government.
>> This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always
>> avail themselves for their own purposes." --Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, 1813.
>>