PDA

View Full Version : Spotify and Synchronization - testers needed

mherger
2016-08-30, 06:15
Thanks to a great posting by forum member dydx (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104436-Announce-We-re-updating-the-official-Spotify-app&p=860995&viewfull=1#post860995) I've finally figured out that a.) synchronization with Spotify was supposed to work and b.) got broken some 4-5 years ago, when Spotify asked us to improve authentication with their systems.

I think I've found a solution to this problem. While it's not perfect, it should work in most cases. Eg. you might need to restart playback once you've synchronized to players playing some Spotify content. But from then on it should just work.

Before I roll out this change to mysb.com I'd love to hear some feedback from you guys out there. Please test Spotify in a synchronized player environment and let me know about your experience. Please update to tomorrow's 7.7.6, 7.8.1 or 7.9.0 build and give it a good test ride.

Some caveats:

This is still limited to SB Radio and SB Touch
You must not be running Triode's Spotify Premium plugin or my Spotify Protocol Handler plugin

Thanks a lot!

DavidBulluss
2016-09-02, 22:16
Thanks to a great posting by forum member dydx (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104436-Announce-We-re-updating-the-official-Spotify-app&p=860995&viewfull=1#post860995) I've finally figured out that a.) synchronization with Spotify was supposed to work and b.) got broken some 4-5 years ago, when Spotify asked us to improve authentication with their systems.

I think I've found a solution to this problem. While it's not perfect, it should work in most cases. Eg. you might need to restart playback once you've synchronized to players playing some Spotify content. But from then on it should just work.

Before I roll out this change to mysb.com I'd love to hear some feedback from you guys out there. Please test Spotify in a synchronized player environment and let me know about your experience. Please update to tomorrow's 7.7.6, 7.8.1 or 7.9.0 build and give it a good test ride.

Some caveats:

This is still limited to SB Radio and SB Touch
You must not be running Triode's Spotify Premium plugin or my Spotify Protocol Handler plugin

Thanks a lot!

I was not aware of this discussion, but today I synced players while streaming Spotify... and it works! I am on logitechmediaserver-7.9.0-1472564063-arm-readynas.

Thanks!!!

Regards, David

mherger
2016-09-02, 23:53
> I was not aware of this discussion, but today I synced players while
> streaming Spotify... and it works! I am on
> logitechmediaserver-7.9.0-1472564063-arm-readynas.

Cool!

BTW: you were spot on with your comment about the devices needing to
play a Spotify track before sync was working. I don't know how I missed
that hint all those years... the workaround I implemented is to tell the
SB to authenticate with Spotify whenever a device connects after power up.

Thanks for the confirmation!
--

Michael

RSJ
2016-09-11, 13:34
I'm running LMS on Max2play on my Pi. This functions as a player and server for my whole house audio system which consists of 3 Raspberry Pi players using Max2play, 5 Logitech Receivers, 1 Logitech Boom and, 1 Logitech Radio. I'm using the Spotify family plugin with a family account for Spotify and I have had no real issues with syncing all these players together in various combinations. The only real complaint is that I wish this Spotify plugin had a menu more similar to the official Spotify plugin. But as far as synchronization I have had no real issues it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mherger
2016-09-12, 12:01
> Spotify plugin. But as far as synchronization I have had no real issues
> it.

I didn't expect any of the 3rd party solutions to have problems. After
all that's why I did the Spotify Protocol Handler in the first place...
I specifically asked users _NOT_ using any of those plugins to confirm.

--

Michael

DavidBulluss
2016-09-29, 16:40
Hi Michael,

This morning I was playing Spotify through the official app on LMS and all was good. When I turned on a second synced LMS player the system halted and message "invalid username or password" was displayed. Same problem as earlier. I do not know when the issue started again as this is the first time I have synced when using Spotify for a week or so.

Regards, David

RSJ
2016-09-29, 19:17
Just so I'm clear your looking to test the official Spotify plugin in a synced environment using either the Radio or Touch, correct?

DavidBulluss
2016-09-30, 17:07
Just so I'm clear your looking to test the official Spotify plugin in a synced environment using either the Radio or Touch, correct?

Yes, both syncing devices are SBTs. Am using the official Spotify plugin.

Regards, David

DavidBulluss
2016-09-30, 17:50
Yes, both syncing devices are SBTs. Am using the official Spotify plugin.

Regards, David

Does this log file help. Set for debug on server, server add-ons, and spotify plugin... then played one SBT with spotify, turned on second synced SBT.

RSJ
2016-09-30, 20:09
I'm not that savvy on the software side of things, why just those players?

mherger
2016-10-02, 11:51
Are you using the Spotify Protocol Handler, too? Are the passwords in
both, SPH and mysb.com, identical and correct?

There are odd errors about missing strings in your server.log file. You
don't run LMS with the "nomysqueezebox" or similar parameter, do you?
--

Michael

DavidBulluss
2016-10-02, 17:42
Are you using the Spotify Protocol Handler, too? Are the passwords in
both, SPH and mysb.com, identical and correct?

Michael

SPH??? I have no idea what Spotify Protocol Handler is... Whatever it is, do I need to have it?

David

mherger
2016-10-03, 00:51
> SPH??? I have no idea what Spotify Protocol Handler is... Whatever it
> is, do I need to have it?

I might have been mislead by a log line about DenonAVS something. I
thought you were using one of the bridge plugins to play on a UPnP
device or similar.

Are you using original SB hardware only?

--

Michael

DavidBulluss
2016-10-03, 14:42
> SPH??? I have no idea what Spotify Protocol Handler is... Whatever it
> is, do I need to have it?

I might have been mislead by a log line about DenonAVS something. I
thought you were using one of the bridge plugins to play on a UPnP
device or similar.

Are you using original SB hardware only?

--

Michael

Am using original SB hardware only. I haven't attempted to sync my android tablet with Squeeze Ctrl yet - it is turned off.
I am using the Denon AVR plugin to control the amplifiers.
I have just researched SPH and can confirm that I am not using it. It remains unticked in the list of 3rd party plugins.

David

mherger
2016-10-03, 21:47
> Am using original SB hardware only. I haven't attempted to sync my
> android tablet with Squeeze Ctrl yet - it is turned off.
> I am using the Denon AVR plugin to control the amplifiers.

Yeah, I thought there was something like this.

Are you able to reproduce the synching issue with Spotify? If so, could
you set logging for spotifylogi to debug and upload the server.log once
this has happened again?

--

Michael

DavidBulluss
2016-10-04, 21:22
Are you able to reproduce the synching issue with Spotify?
--

Michael

Well... today it is working fine, no problems syncing two SBT while streaming Spotify!

Regards,

David

FredFredrickson
2016-10-05, 13:54
I use the protocol handler, and lots of spotify. I'll test my boxes tonight:

2 Receivers, 2 Radios, and 1 Touch.