PDA

View Full Version : What will happen when Logitech decides it doesn't want to keep paying for the domain?



Superkikim
2016-08-22, 02:57
Hi all,

I'm a SB owner and lover. I love the open source solution, and I know the community is huge and active, which is tremendous.

However, now Logitech has stopped all production and sale around these product, they might well decide to give up on the slimdevices domain, and probably stop the mysqueezebox service... What would happen to all the content of this forum then ?

Jimini
2016-08-23, 08:51
Well, we are not just Squeezebox customers, we are (most of us) Logitech customers too, and that hasn't changed. I very much doubt this site would shut down while it is so active. It costs Logitech very little to keep it, and Logitech has no incentive to harm its customers just because the devices they bought are no longer sold. Plus it sorta promotes Logitech to show dedication to customers who bought their (expensive) devices. About the server though, I don't know. The right thing to do is to keep it since there are still many users. But I have no idea how much it costs Logitech. Shutting it down is not without cost, though.

DJanGo
2016-08-23, 09:30
However, now Logitech has stopped all production and sale around these product,
depends wats "now" early 2011?

they might well decide to give up on the slimdevices domain, and probably stop the mysqueezebox service...
mysqueezebox is huge and if they want to stop something expensive they would start with that.


What would happen to all the content of this forum then ?
its the internet - all contents are archived many times on some places already.

I dont use radiostreams over mysqb, i am fine with 7.9 even when newer versions are a huge thing.
What to do?
nothing other than help the comunity and use your stuff till the end.

garym
2016-08-23, 13:06
Well, we are not just Squeezebox customers, we are (most of us) Logitech customers too, and that hasn't changed. I very much doubt this site would shut down while it is so active. It costs Logitech very little to keep it, and Logitech has no incentive to harm its customers just because the devices they bought are no longer sold. Plus it sorta promotes Logitech to show dedication to customers who bought their (expensive) devices. About the server though, I don't know. The right thing to do is to keep it since there are still many users. But I have no idea how much it costs Logitech. Shutting it down is not without cost, though.

I wish you were right. Maybe you are. But I suspect the reason that this forum site still exists is that no one is paying attention rather than Logitech is trying to show us dedication. I can tell you that the official logitech forums related to squeezeboxes and networked music players/speakers just went under a major renovation. The changes make it essentially unusable (and it wasn't fantastic before the change). See:

https://community.logitech.com/s/topic/0TO31000000UKPVGA4/Network%20Music%20Players

Fizbin
2016-08-23, 14:55
We'll see what happens in 2019, when it expires.

garym
2016-08-23, 14:56
We'll see what happens in 2019, when it expires.

when what expires?

Fizbin
2016-08-24, 00:42
when what expires?

Domain Name: mysqueezebox.com
Registry Domain ID: 144563919_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
Updated Date: 2015-12-18T04:00:17-0800
Creation Date: 2005-03-01T11:04:39-0800
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-03-01T11:04:39-0800

epoch1970
2016-08-24, 03:19
Well slimdevices.com was renewed mid 2016 for one year.
Since it is the defacto support touch point for SB users I don't see why it wouldn't be renewed yearly until SB.com is finally put out to pasture.
Which doesn't mean the forum software can't go away, but then again I can't see the advantage in doing this.

snoopy86
2016-08-24, 12:02
How are we affected if the sb.com domain is dropped or service stoped? As i understand the community is releasing new version of the sw. Why would logitech actions be relevant?

I could see a problem only if you still use official radio apps and others that rely on the service but all of this has been replaced with better 3 party solutions anyway.

garym
2016-08-24, 12:11
How are we affected if the sb.com domain is dropped or service stoped? As i understand the community is releasing new version of the sw. Why would logitech actions be relevant?

I could see a problem only if you still use official radio apps and others that rely on the service but all of this has been replaced with better 3 party solutions anyway.

Some services wouldn't work because there's not a 3rd party solution. For example, Pandora would no longer work without mysqueezebox.com.

Mnyb
2016-08-24, 21:34
The third party Spotify solution is not up to date and probably never will be again and you loose the other radio services and indexing , with LMS only its back to your locally stored music and radio bookmarks .
You can connect the icKstream service to LMS and have apps that way , tidal for example .

However I think LMS 7.9 has a built in rudimentary fallback to TuneIn for radio if no LMS exists , so 7.9 should still present some radio menus ?

But ofcourse you will always need your local LMS without mysqueezebox.com

mherger
2016-08-24, 21:58
> However I think LMS 7.9 has a built in rudimentary fallback to TuneIn
> for radio if no LMS exists , so 7.9 should still present some radio
> menus ?

Yes, LMS 7.9 should provide the Radios menu even without mysb.com.

--

Michael

snoopy86
2016-08-25, 13:33
Ok, so the radio is the most effected in this case.

It would be interesting to see how many LMS users also have subscription to one of those stream engines (spotify, pandora,...). I have a hunch that it is lower than 10%. I personally use free spotify account and play it trough iphone to LMS devices and it works great.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

garym
2016-08-25, 21:01
Ok, so the radio is the most effected in this case.

Why do you say that? Radio can connect to lms just like the other players.

Mnyb
2016-08-25, 21:06
Why do you say that? Radio can connect to lms just like the other players.

All squeezeboxes has almost the same abilities regarding using services and radio even more so if you use LMS ?

Mnyb
2016-08-25, 21:10
Ok, so the radio is the most effected in this case.

It would be interesting to see how many LMS users also have subscription to one of those stream engines (spotify, pandora,...). I have a hunch that it is lower than 10%. I personally use free spotify account and play it trough iphone to LMS devices and it works great.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's more , there i s a silent majority that never hangs on the forum and many " collector " or " audiophile " like myself ;) type do have an account for discovery purposes and also in car and travel usage .

mherger
2016-08-25, 21:42
>> It would be interesting to see how many LMS users also have subscription
>> to one of those stream engines (spotify, pandora,...). I have a hunch
>> that it is lower than 10%. I personally use free spotify account and
>> play it trough iphone to LMS devices and it works great.
>
> I think it's more , there i s a silent majority that never hangs on the
> forum and many " collector " or " audiophile " like myself ;) type do
> have an account for discovery purposes and also in car and travel usage

It's indeed higher. The two most popular services are being registered
by 15-20% of all registered users. How many of these users are still
active I don't know. And neither do I know whether they're using those
service subscriptions. That's the crux with numbers: it's difficult to
get really interesting, valid numbers.

--

Michael

pippin
2016-08-26, 02:55
I know from feedback and service questions in the past that at some point around 50% of users (primarily Radio devices) seemed to not run LMS but just use MySB.
Over the course of the years these have become fewer and fewer, though and now most users who write to me have LMS and a lot use at least some non-Logitech devices.
That said: most user questions come in relatively shortly after the purchase and obviously only few people now buy a real Squeezebox anymore and Radio-only users are probably relatively unlikely to also pay another 9$ for iPeng.
With people now having DIY or 3rd party devices my impression is that the relatively powerful service support is an important reason for their choice.

slartibartfast
2016-08-26, 05:22
Why do you say that? Radio can connect to lms just like the other players.
I think he misunderstood Michael's comment that the "Radios" menu was provided by LMS 7.9.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk